[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What a great build up to absolutely nothing whats up with the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2
File: fergo.jpg (110 KB, 786x489) Image search: [Google]
fergo.jpg
110 KB, 786x489
What a great build up to absolutely nothing

whats up with the opening on the first episode?

ayyliens? WHY? (by the way is this a new trope? american horror story also introduced ayylmaos and did nothing with them)

Why did the black guy get a office job?

Why was there a "documentary" episode? to give a aura of mystery to the indian betraying the gearhearts?

why?;__;
>>
that was the point, OP

back to redit with you :')
>>
I was pretty disappointed with the finale and DUDE ALIENS LMAO scene in the second to last episode. Is the first season better?
>>
>>64453841
yea its better.

this season was great, better characters, but the ayylmaos was a huge fucking letdown
>>
>>64453962
I liked the characters and the actors. Got excited when I saw Tigh from BSG was playing Elder Gerhardt, then he gets a stroke and sits in a wheelchair for 5 episodes
>>
>>64453841
Yeah, it keeps the feel of the movie alright
>>
>>64453725
>>64453841
>>64453962
Can you explain to me exactly why you didn't like the aliens? Bonus points if you can clearly, concisely state why they are objectively bad. I ask because I quite liked them, and their cameo in the second to last episode was one of my favorite parts of this season.

Also, Milligan got an office job because he fancied himself to be something of a hero or a conqueror. He explicitly compares himself to a king and compares his quest to manifest destiny and he dresses like a cowboy. The irony is that he doesn't realize the age of heroes and explorers and conquerors is gone. He succeeds in defeating the Gerhardts through sheer force of will and tenacity, and his reward is an office job, because that's all the world has to give to people like him nowadays. His character arc and ending to his story was my favorite of the season overall.
>>
I loved the alien bit. For me, it justified the cheesy "this is a true story" bits at the beginning of every fucking episode. The fact is you can't really ever know what happened at any given place and time, even if a hundred people survive to tell the tale. It's kinda like the ending to the Sopranos. Look up all the wacky shit David Chase said about alternate realities to get an idea of what I mean.

The one thing that bothered me was Hanzee becoming Tripoli because NATIVE GUYS CAN'T GROW ITALIAN-GUY BEARDS
>>
>>64454147
to me, it was because they felt like a cheap wild card.

what were they supposed to mean?
some sort of PSTD manifestation because of the vietnam war? id be cool with it if the ayylmaos didnt influence the story in such a meaningful way (helping lou to kill the bear gerhart)

agree on milligan's character, if anything i'd have love to see him in desperation a little bit more, i didnt feel the threat of The Undertaker
>>
Aliens bothered me a lil but all together it was a better season than the first. The finale sucked but everything wrapped up in the second to last episode. The finale was just some lame wrap up shit. Milligan getting the office job was a good twist because he thought he did it all for nothing pretty much.
>>
>>64454378
>I loved the alien bit. For me, it justified the cheesy "this is a true story" bits at the beginning of every fucking episode

reddit, so the only reason is "because of maymays"? fucking shite.
the rest of your post is fine.
>>
>>64454405
One thing to remember about the aliens is the unreliable narrator facet. The one episode is framed as a book, and Lou recalls thinking he saw an alien spaceship while he was being suffocated by Bear. Bear is shown to have gotten distracted by the spaceship and that's how Lou was able to kill him, but maybe the truth is Bear was distracted by something else going on in the shootout?

I don't think the aliens meant anything deep. I think they were just flavor, mostly.
>>
>>64454147
>cameo
Hovering for 10 minutes right above the climatic shootout isnt a cameo, its a lame deus ex machina.
>>
>>64453725
>american horror story also introduced ayylmaos and did nothing with them

It's FX.
>>
>>64454147
They didn't make sense thematically. There was no kind of explanation offered at all, either for why they appeared, or what it could have meant for the characters who saw it. I would have liked it more if it had been tied in better, but Lou and Hank were both just like "lol that happened xD" without really talking about it. Also the aliens not having any connection to hank made the "alien symbols" cliffhanger seem really cheap.

I guess I couldn't explain why inserting magical fairies into Mad Men would be objectively bad, but I definitely wouldn't like that either.
>>
>>64454583
but they even show Ed the butcher saying something like "did you see it honey? the lights?"
some shit like that
>>
>>64454706
>deus ex machina
Those are generally used to help writers out when they've written themselves into a corner. Was the alien ship showing up here a dues ex machina? No, I don't think so. The scene was deliberately engineered to include it. It could very easily have been excluded, bear in mind.
>>
File: mike milligan cat.jpg (44 KB, 640x756) Image search: [Google]
mike milligan cat.jpg
44 KB, 640x756
Do you guys remember that random dude at the gas station from episode 3 who was talking about the aliens? He said that he believed their intentions were "benevolent."

I wonder if there's something to that. I mean, the aliens get Rye killed the first time, and save Lou (so he can kill Bear) the second time.
>>
>>64454857
cmon, the big boy gherheart was in the middle of chocking patrick wilson when they arrived
>>
>>64455067
They could have just had Bear not tackle Lou. Or had Lou's initial shots kill him. Or had Mike show up and shoot Bear.
>>
>>64454857

You're arguing that the scene is written to include it but that is a given, yet there was no organic way to include them, they were a plot device used to save a character, a plot device that only worked because of the tenuous plausibility established by setting it up in other meaningless uses. They show the UFO before so you'll accept it's appearance then, but they only served that one purpose in that one scene, having the characters en masse ignore their presence does not work to make the viewer simply dismiss it as well. They were established before so they could show up in that one scene.

>dude, but bear has him, how do we write him living, do we kill him?
>fuck no, he's turned out too cool. OK, he is below bear passing out and...aliens show up, distracting bear.
>dude, WTF
>dude, we'll just show the flying saucer a couple of times in earlier episodes so it's not like it came from out of fucking nowhere.
>wow. Think we'll get an Emmy
>lol, not this time

That's how it looks like.
>>
>>64455067
I liked the ayylmaos but I agree with ya. The season finale led to nothing.

COMFY AS FUCK THO
>>
>>64455067
>>64455168
sorry wrong post number
>>
>>64455067
They didn't need to have that happen, though. They could have had Hanzee shoot Bear after he killed Ma and Lou could have just picked off baddies from the flank.

But they didn't do that. They had Bear fight and overpower Lou to set up the spacecraft appearing.

>>64454832
I will agree the "lol that happened" comment in the finale was horrible.
>>
we also see in ep3?
flashback of Dodd killing a mob boss in a movie teather
the movie is about ayylmaos
>>
>>64455167
this.

deus ex machina was the wrong term to use but those aliens felt a little ham fisted
>>
>>64455167
Is there even an organic way to include aliens? You're implying they wrote up to that part where Bear is choking out Lou and that they realized then they wrote themselves into a corner, and only then did they decide to go back and add the aliens, so they could save Lou? That's a hilarious notion. There was any number of ways they could have saved Lou, they didn't need to write in the aliens to do it.
>>
Jeffrey Donovan (Dodd Gerhardt): “[Creator Noah Hawley] wants the audience to believe what they want to believe. He always intended it to be a weather balloon. But in the 70s imagination and the fear that’s going on . . . that’s what’s playing on these people’s psyche, this kind of collective delusion and how impressionable they all are. I think it was more that than it was any aliens. I never felt that there were aliens. Also the xenophobia of not just that state but probably our whole country. Remember, we just came out of Khrushchev and Nixon and we’re terrified of the Cold War and Vietnam, and everyone foreign was always a threat. I think he was just trying to play into that.”
>>
>>64455586
>Is there even an organic way to include aliens?

Yes, a space setting or part of the very premise will allow for the presence to be quite natural.

>You're implying they wrote up to that part where Bear is choking out Lou and that they realized then they wrote themselves into a corner, and only then did they decide to go back and add the aliens, so they could save Lou? That's a hilarious notion. There was any number of ways they could have saved Lou, they didn't need to write in the aliens to do it.

You're half right. I didn't imply it, it was an outright statement and yes it was in the form of a joke and appreciate that you found it hilarious. Given that wasGo their only use or contribution to the story, they might as well have been migrating geese that people would simply notice. It did need to be aliens, but lacking any meaning from their presence, I have to move on to function within the story.
>>
>>64455127
Indeed, so why the pointless deus ex machina?
>>
>>64455915

*it DIDN'T need
>>
>>64455926
They wanted a shocker. Just a few dead bodies wasn't enough to give the massacre the gravity it carried in Season 1. And aliens were big in the 70s, so they tied an alien theme to the first 8 episodes of the show, and had aliens show up in 9.
>>
>>64456083
>just a few dead bodies

It was a senseless, sprawling, seemingly random at times massacre, I honestly thought it lived up to Lou's grim retelling of the events to Malvo.
>>
I agree OP.

I'e been saying it this whole time, but S1 >>> S2. S2 wasn't bad, infact it's a fantastic sophomore effort, but it didn't get. There were too many cooks, I couldn't sink my teeth into the characters enough. S1 is the comfiest TV series of all time, imo

>Aces
>>
>>64456232
it was the opposite for me regarding the number of characters, i think this is one of the few series that has done it right.
everyone had a spotlight, the chemistry was on point.

what you described fits to TD s2, it felt disjointed, even if the characters werent that poorly written as tv thinks
>>
>>64456318
Fair enough. I'm glad that Hawley wasn't shy in regards to killing his darlings, but again, I just couldn't get into the season. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but the last 2 episodes were like an epilogue. I just don't think it was strong enough, but I also agree with it successfully juggling the amount of characters, I just didn't like them like I did the first season

I loved TD s2
>>
>>64453725
the build up was to episode 9. it was the orgasm . episode 10 was the cigarette after the orgasm

you fucking children have been primed to think that all shows should always end with a bang. fucking kill yourselves
>>
>>64456502
>Muh Felina

fuck yourself.
>>
>>64456404
malvo and lester are iconic, thats for sure.

i wasnt ready for the emotional punch that TD s2 delivered, despite of its flaws, i liked it too.
i cant get myself to rewatch it because the feels will hit me hard
>>
>>64456586
>Muh Felina
what?
>>
lol at the redditors who think season 1 is better than season 2

billy bob thornton's character was beyond cringe
>>
>>64456831
kek. reddit thinks S2 is better than S1. Kill yourself mate.
>>
>>64457005
nuh uh! HERE'S what reddit thinks:
>>
>>64456831
ACES
>>
>>64454147
they aliens served absolutely no purpose. would've been better if they wrote it off as some gov test thing that people thought where aliens
>>
Reminder that a shocking and possibly unpalatable climax was foreshadowed when Simone stuck her thumb in Mike's ass before he came
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.