[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Hateful Eight
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4
File: hateful8.jpg (123 KB, 535x731) Image search: [Google]
hateful8.jpg
123 KB, 535x731
Pros:
>based Ennio Morricone score
>cinematography
>costumes

Cons:
>not enough Morricone
>acting (especially Kurt Russell, holy shit)
>tons of boring, expository dialogue (where was Tarantino's signature spark here?)
>story unnecessarily long and convoluted

What happened? Is he finished? Did anyone genuinely enjoy this movie? Why
>>
>2012+4
>there are now people that unironically enjoy any of his flicks
>>
>>64451987
WARM
>>
>Kurt Russell
>con

lol Fuck off fagotron.
>>
I think there was just enough Morricone, and Kurt Russell was, for the most part fine. His dialogue when Warren was trying to get on his stagecoach was cringey though.
>>
>>64452115
hey I like Kurt Russell a lot. The Thing is one of my favorite movies. but he was so bad in this, his delivery was all over the map
>molasses-like
Jesus
>>
>>64452193
Yeah, I do think he got better as the movie went on but that first scene took me for a ride
>>
>>64451987

>tons of boring, expository dialogue (where was Tarantino's signature spark here?)

That is part of his signature. Especially in his recent films where characters reiterate in excruciating detail things that are already established and/or well established.

Example:

>we've got 15 men waiting I the next town to ambush you
"So your telling me that if we take you to the next town, there's 15 of the baddest mutha fuckas on the planet waiting there for us?"
>yes, that's right. You are 100 percent correct in your estimation. There's 15 cold hearted sons of guns itching to pull there triggers in just the next town over. Just down the road, not but 5 miles from here.
"But you forgot one thing... I've got two (2) guns here in each hand. One in the right... And one. In. The. Left."
>it'd be a colossal error to kill me. With either gun. Be it in your right hand or youR left hand.
"And might I ask you why as to that that would be a mistake in your estimation?"
>well, in case you forgot. There are 15 men. In the next town over. And not only are they waiting on us. But if we are not there in 4 hours. They will descend upon this residence and lay a reckoning upon youthat you never. Thought. Possible. Now by my approximation, you are one. and they are 15. Killing machines. Surely one man, as bad ass as you may be, cannot take on 15.

Or some shit like that
>>
>>64452079
BLACK
>>
>>64452791
I liked the movie for the most part, but yeah, the entire last half hour was basically just the characters repeating things we already know over and over again. I would have walked out if I had to hear Jennifer Jason Leigh explain her deal to Goggins one more time
>>
Twas a fun movie. Surprisingly slow paced for a Tarantino film which I thought to be refreshing. Made a quick vid if anybody is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZPjlOcZv1M
>>
>>64452791
>>64453366
The ending sucked, but the rest of the movie was great

>hey channing tatum
>oh he is dead because Samuel wanted to kill someone

>hey she has 15 guys there and they will burn the town
>it is a lie anyway
>>
>>64453443
How would you have done it?
>>
>>64453662
i don't know, i wouldn't just lie to the audience just to get the movie across.

in Pulp Fiction Vic's death was unexpected but it made sense.
just like in Reservoir Dogs

in the new movies the characters just kill because the actor/the director wants to kill someone
>>
>>64453390
You said "Twas" Please kill yourself Senpai
>>
>>64453302
DINGUS
>>
>>64452791
Fucking this. Tried watching INGLORIOUS BASTERDS for the first time since 2009 and I just can't do it! I can barely bring myself to type out the title!

Tarantino's pre-coke meltdown dialogue could be drawn out, but the lines tended to cover new ground and have a music to them that made them funny, especially if delivered by an actor with SAVOIRE FAIRE like Samuel L Jackson or John Travolta.

The opening scene of this monstrosity... Jesus...

"May I enter your farm home monsieur? Forgive me, it seems this is a room with four walls, and a roof, and a door or entryway. It also seems it is situated on a farm. Am I wrong Monsieur? A home is where people tend to live, and you are a person are you nor Monsieur?"

It was just the same three lines repeated ad infinitum by actors who have been given no direction whatsoever and seem to think they're in different movies. It takes 15 minutes for Tarantino to tell us that there are people under a floor! NONE of this is interesting!

Waltz spends TWO MINUTES explaining that his nickname is THE JEW HUNTER. Did Tarantino read a Horrible Histories children's book about WW2 and realise for the first time that Nazis did not like Jews, then snort a line of cocaine that reduced his mental age from 12 down to an innocent 9 and start writing his script? It's hideously offensive and I'm not even Jewish or remotely affected by WW2 or anything!!!
>>
>>64454152
Then there's all the atrocious SCHINDLERS LIST posturing. Oh these are real families being killed WOAH YOURE KIDDING!!!!!!! Don't feed me that shit if you're making some juvenile THE JEW HUNTER crap with Brad Pitt playing a Saturday Night Live character. Again, it's just offensive, and even if you're not a SURVIVOR or a Jew it's just cringeworthy!!!! A stunted American from the narcissistic faggot Gen X crowd whose entire understanding of WW2 is from shitty movies he saw in the 70s suddenly turning around and telling me THIS ICONIC CHARACTER SHOSHANNA SUFFERED THIS IS NO LAUGHING MATTER!!! Yes it is a laughing matter! You've put Brad Pitt in the next scene and he's in a cartoon and later it has Mike Myers!!! NONE of it works.

The actors playing the BASTERDS are terrible. Eli Roth... that fat doughy soft one from FREAKS AND GEEKS trying REAL HARD to look cool.

The whole thing is just ideas for scenes he had that he stuck together. And like four of these scenes are just the same scene over and over! "Does he know I am a Jew/a spy/am hiding?" Etc etc. and all these scenes are made up of the same line over and over! "Now may I have a strudel my friend? A strudel is a pastry, and in having one, I would be eating a pastry, better known as a strudel you see..." So basically the whole fucking movie is the same line over and over for three hours!!!

AND THEN Tarantino has the UNMITIGATED GALL to have the movie be about THE POWER OF CINEMA or some insufferable shit like that! It's because he's a cloistered nerd with no actual human experience. Even shallow WW2 action movies at least have guys hanging out and being friends, even if they don't cover any JUICY holocaust material! But oh no not here!
>>
>>64454354
No no! Tarantino he say "This movie is about a BEAUTIFUL YOUNG WOMAN who LOVES MOVIES AS MUCH AS I DO and would surely fall in love with me if I had been a hunky JEW PROTECTOR in the 1940s!! A Jew is a person of a particular religion I think and there is a man called Hitler who wanted to kill them! I play with blocks and have to ask my mother to wipe my ass because I'm a fucking child!!!"

I stopped watching in disgust when Eli Roth started CELEBRATING and yelling all this inane Spielberg BOY HERO type baseball shit after hitting a guy with a bat! Fired up the old iPad and started ranting to the one audience I know will appreciate those! So forgive me if the shitty autocorrect changed anything and rendered this unreadable!
>>
Why was it necessary to have narration spoiling the poisoning. The scene would have been 100% better if Kurt Russell just starts spewing blood.
>>
I enjoyed it way more than Django but I could have done without his two instances of narration
>>
>>64454401
>fired up the old iPad
Don't say what device you're posting from unless it's a computer, it lowers your credibility.
>>
The main problem is that it's just too long.
We don't need to see them hammer stakes into the snow or nail a 10th board to the door or ladle stew or watching the girl's face for long periods. I feel like he decided the pace was going to be super slow but didn't know how to do it without just filming each scene longer.
>>
>>64454622
The point of the posion wasn't to surprise you, it's to remind you the outlaws are dangerous killers
>>
>>64451987
it was GOAT
>>
Mess of a movie. What did people expect from a movie re-written countless times because of Tarantino's paranoia about script leaks?
>>
File: Set_your_bait.gif (40 KB, 325x325) Image search: [Google]
Set_your_bait.gif
40 KB, 325x325
>>64454401
>this movie is about a beautiful young woman who loves movies as much as I do and would surely fall in love with me if I had been a hunky jew protector in the 40s
>eli roth started celebrating and telling all this insane Spielberg boy hero baseball shit
>movie be about the power of cinema or some insufferable shit
>then there's all the atrocious Schindler's List posturing
>it's hideously offensive and I'm not even Jewish
>fired up the old iPad

nice bait
>>
>>64451987
>acting
>dialogue
>story
>all cons
Are you, by any change, a mentally deficient fellow?
>>
>>64451987
I actually really love the characters.
>>
Anybody notice how the poster looks like a lightsaber? TFA was a super bad movie, no? What do you guys think about George Lucas coming back for the next film as screenplay advisor?
>>
>>64456293
was going to say that all i see is a lightsaber
>>
>>64454622
It's there to generate tension.
>>
File: wyatt.jpg (28 KB, 599x303) Image search: [Google]
wyatt.jpg
28 KB, 599x303
>>acting (especially Kurt Russell, holy shit)

He was probably one of the only good things about that movie OP

Kill yourself
>>
>>64456454
Is it just me or was he acting like a slightly more angry Jack Burton?
>>
>>64453995
Warren wanted to kill him for shooting his balls off, and the movie didn't lie to the audience, Daisy lied to Mannix.
>>
>>64457053
maybe.

i just don't like Tarantino endings i guess
>>
>>64456410
It could've had the same effect if it showed him posioning the coffee while dingus was telling his story, without the shitty narration
>>
the only real flaws in the move are some strange plotholes

>why didn't Jody shoot Warren again under the floor?
>Why was Bob allowed in the Haberdashery if Minnie hated Mexicans?
>If they were such a famous gang why did nobody recognise them? Warren at least had heard of them
>Why didn't they just shoot John Ruth when he turned his back to hammer the door?
>When John Ruth and OB were vomiting blood why not just shoot Warren? He was sitting down distracted by it
>>
>Only pro isn't Walton Goggins and how he crushed it like he does in everything he does

Eat shit you piccadilly whore.
>>
>>64454152
>It was just the same three lines repeated ad infinitum by actors who have been given no direction whatsoever and seem to think they're in different movies. It takes 15 minutes for Tarantino to tell us that there are people under a floor! NONE of this is interesting!

Also, WHY the fuck does the SS guy even need to talk to the farmer if he already KNOWS the jews are under the floor???? It's not like he gets any new info out of the farmer. Plus he lets the Jewish girl escape??? he doesn't even think to post guards around the house so no one escapes? This guy would be considered a royal fuck up in the SS. Would have been sent to the Eastern Front.
>>
>>64451987
Can someone tell me what the overture and first eight minutes of the movie were? I got to the theatre a couple minutes late because me and my friend decided to watch it last minute
>>
Fucking ugly ass movie. Im tired of cunts complimenting cinematography when they don't know shit. Acting was awful too. I love russel but he fucking phoned it in. And jeeesus could they say nigger more I mean i dont give a shit but you just get numb to it and you know he thinks hes so goddamn edgy.
Fucking waste of three hours. At least the exploitation films of the seventies had the decency to be 80 minutes.
>>
>>64457616
opening shot of a cross, carriage stops in front of Warren and he talks to OB, then approaches John Ruth
>>
Made me want to go eat pancakes at Cracker Barrel
>>
>>64457687
people said nigger a lot back then kiddo, it wasn't edgy
>>
>>64457755
no they didnt, they had a whole slew of words they called people of color. the fact the shout nigger every ten seconds especially given theres only one fucking black guy in the room is just tarantino trying to shock you. Just like those really obviously framed shots where Im supposed to be shocked when the character with no personality gets gibbed. It was all so fucking empty and the action was shit.

Watch stagecoach, friends.
>>
>>64457616
hey friend :^)
>>
>>64451987
>tons of boring, expository dialogue
This was a 3 hour movie set in a small cabin. The only boring dialogue was between sam l jackson and the gang members, which could be explained by tension
>>
>>64455562
And the song choices kinda ruined the immersion. A lot.
>>
>>64458164
this is what little baby film nerds do when they know a movie is bad and they can't admit it: just talk themself into a logic hole and pretend it's all okay. Just move on friend, you'll never get those three hours back, watch something better next time.
>>
>>64458220
>everything I do has to be perfect or it's not worth doing
>>
>>64455771
>We don't need to see them hammer stakes into the snow
that was a good scene though, the score was fantastic
>>
>>64457409
>>64457409
Only the first two were plotholes.

They weren't trying to hurt Daisy and they were trying to time everything out.
>>
>>64454622

I liked the movie but I agree, the narrator was completely unnecessary both times he entered and he hampered the flow of the movie. Everything the narrator told the audience could have been easily established visually.
>>
>>64457409

The first one is explainable if you consider that Warren gave Jody a bad angle, remember that we don't exactly know the dimensions of the cellar. When the brief time skip took place I assumed that Mannix and Warren had taken the necessary precautions against another shot from the floor. Unless you're referring to Jody for some reason not just continuing to shoot Warren after taking his juevos off, in which case that's pretty valid.

The second one is a legitimate plothole.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.