[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anomalisa — wut
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6
has /tv/ seen this? I couldn't bring myself to finish it after the scene where Michael flirts with the two girls in the hotel because of all the cringe.

Why does the same actor do the same voice for like six different characters? Does this movie ever get anywhere?

The stop motion is really beautiful, some animations look mocapped (like Michael smoking) and I wouldn't be surprised if they were. I normally like Kaufman but srsly wtf is this
>>
Kaufman realized that if he had made this movie as a regular live action feature, it wouldn't have brought anything new to the table at all. His previous films all deal with similar themes of being lonely and disgruntled and frustrated and all of that typical trust fund babby shit, so by making this one a stop-motion production with an autistic level of attention to detail he dissuades criticism of not being unique.
>>
>>64447074
>I normally like Kaufman but srsly wtf is this

So you were completely clear with everything happening in Synecdoche, New York but THIS is confusing you? The same voice thing is the most obvious metaphor I've ever seen in a movie.
>>
>>64447074
It's pretty sad that you couldn't understand this film. It's not like Kaufman delves into really obscure themes in his movies.
>>
>>64447074
>Why does the same actor do the same voice for like six different characters?
>The Fregoli delusion, or the delusion of doubles, is a rare disorder in which a person holds a delusional belief that different people are in fact a single person
also
>stopping a movie part way through
how do people do this?
>>
>>64447074
>Why does the same actor do the same voice for like six different characters? Does this movie ever get anywhere?

finish the movie and you'll find out, you cuck
>>
>>64447803
i actually wish anomalisa got a bit weirder. i wanted to see more of the dream sequence.
>>
OK, OK, jesus you guys I'll go finish it. Be back in 40ish minutes.

>>64447803
If I have to read some philosophy bullshit to understand this movie...
>>
Not Op but I usually like kaufman movies but I just didn't get this one
>>
It's a banal film through and through with sloppy writing and by-the-numbers visualization. I'm sure the positive reception is almost entirely on the part of fans of Kaufman who think he can do no wrong. Worst of all, this animation went to waste on a script that could have been filmed with live actors on half the budget.

I'm not a fan of Kaufman. As a writer, he's a one trick pony; as a director, he's painfully conventional.
>>
>>64448052
This. I wanted more surreal 2deep4u shit, but Kaufman did not deliver.
>>
>>64448614
THIS
people on this board treat kaufman like hes a kubrick or hitchcock
>>
>>64448614
He should get to work with Spike Jonze again.
>>
i thought it was amazing

that sex scene was like the most realistic sex scene ive seen in any movie EVER made. it was so real with all awkward details, it was really awkward and fascinating to watch.

great film imo, great sound design aswell
>>
Hey it's OP I went back and finished it like I said in >>64448060 and it's decent. I still feel like the only particularly memorable part of this film is its presentation.

Fwiw Dino Stamatopulous (creator of Moral Orel and Frankenhole) did the animation for this film, and he's prob my favorite stop motion animator working atm. I wish he helped write the screenplay, tho; at least the jokes would've added some much-needed levity to this inappropriately dour film

I get that mopey old white men having trysts with manic pixie dream girls is sort of Kaufman's steez but it didn't do much for me this time.
>>
>>64447074
you would have found answers to all those questions if you had just finished the movie senpai
>>
>>64447074
Your dad should be ashamed of fathering a faggot like you.
>>
The first time I watched this I had mixed feelings about it.

The second time, I loved it. All the scenes started clicking and making sense.

I feel really bad about watching it on DVDscr but its playing no where near me. Felt like I missed out on some details with the quality of the video.
>>
>>64450624
>>64450672
>not actually scrolling down in a thread with 17 posts

>>64450546
>>
File: 1228158686146.jpg (41 KB, 640x616) Image search: [Google]
1228158686146.jpg
41 KB, 640x616
>>64448746
>kubrick
>hitchcock

These are what cretins who believe they're patricians think make 2deep4me films.
>>
>>64450849
You're still a faggot and your dad should still be shamed.
>>
File: QOovq.gif (1021 KB, 370x260) Image search: [Google]
QOovq.gif
1021 KB, 370x260
>>64450946
Jokes on you my dad disowned me two years ago!
>>
>>64447487
He wrote it as a radio play and his friend told him he really wanted to adapt it so he let him.
>>
>>64451198
Who the fuck listens to radio plays?
>>
>>64451985
Fans of Charlie Kaufman?

OP again, reading about the play version of this film makes me think that would've been a better medium for this story. Who knows though.

Also didn't know this was kickstarter funded. Ugh.
>>
It was one of the worst movies I've seen in my life.

It's technically impressive but it has no depth, almost felt asleep watching it since nothing happens.

Full of bad clichés, characters that are uninteresting and this 2deep4u theme that most people are the same.

The target audience,hipsters, will enjoy it because it 's just as pretentious and empty on the inside as they are.
>>
by far kaufman's worst movie. the stop motion doesn't really add anything to the movie, but it was funny seeing a stop motion penis. that's about it

he's starting to repeat himself, the whole everyone-is-the-same thing is just an expanded remix of his malkovich malkovich scene.

i had high hopes for the movie but it was just meh.
>>
>>64447803
>names a character after cotard syndrome
>does it again but with fregoli
>gets his dick sucked for being original
>>
>>64447487
No you dingus it wasn't live action because if they dubbed Tom Noonan's voice over real people it would look cheesy as fuck. That's why it was originally supposed to be a radio play
>>
>>64452529
>has distinctive style
>gets dick sucked for being original

>does literally anything
>gets dick sucked for doing things
>>
You know threads like this and children like this

>>64452410
>>64452456

Make it no surprise why half the threads on here are full of capeshit and TFA threads.

It's not a particularly deep movie, it's a melancholy and the banality of growing up. The stop motion doesn't add anything except oh atmosphere and creepiness, it also helps tell the story a lot more easier with the singular voice over cause it disjointed if you voice over live action.
>>
OP again,

>>64452549
>>64451985
fwiw it wasn't a "radio" play, it was a stage play. But the actors only stood and spoke their lines, there was no blocking or set.

I agree with >>64452456
>>
>>64452870
You just said it yourself it's a banal and boring movie.

I hate capeshit more than everyone but this is "her" level hipster garbage.

I bet you think kubrick movies are deep/good.
>>
>>64452870
I love melancholy but it's tired to make movies about old depressed affluent white men. It was already rote when As Good As It Gets was made, and that movie is probably 20 years old now I'm too lazy to tab over and find out.

Kaufman has made good films, I loved Adaptation and Whatever Works, but without classic bit actors holding up his writing a good deal of the charm is lost.
>>
>>64453537 here, forgot Whatever Works was a different jew, oops
>>
>>64453488
>You just said it yourself it's a banal and boring movie.
I expect someone who doesn't know how to comprehend what he reads to think it was a deep or hipster movie.

He finds life banal and boring but I found it funny. When he listen to music or hear other people, its amusing but he finds it banal and same. Remember we are seeing his life in a glimpse, it was something HE lived through for years on end now. If i watched his life for years on end then yes it would be banal and I would be just as self-pitying and brooding.

And moreover its about breaking through that banality, finding something and then losing it knowing you have obligations, you can't just run away that's why Lisa turns banal like everyone else.
>>
>Main character
>"hurrr my career consists of getting paid bullshit huge salary and getting flown across country to stay in nice hotels but my life is so shit waaaaahhhhhh"

Kaufman is such a little baby. I bet the reason why he only writes films about sad entitled losers is because he is one. I bet he is a depressed weepy shit despite the fact that he quite literally is living the dream of any right brained person, writing million dollar films and raking in Oscar nominations to appease his circle jerking, pseudo intellectual fanbase. Pathetic.
>>
"Nuh uh, I'm smarter!", the board
>>
>>64453696
Depression doesn't discriminate, m8.
>>
>>64447074
jewish degeneracy agenda
>>
>>64453696
Poor people and much 1 percent muggers think that rich white people can't go through depression, loneliness and the banality of routine, mid life crisises and every day lore.
>>
File: VNyk86k.png (651 KB, 1067x800) Image search: [Google]
VNyk86k.png
651 KB, 1067x800
ITT: people literally incapable of empathy or understanding film as anything beyond a concept and fully disregarding the execution or communication with the audience
>>
>>64447074
Its technically impressive and has better cinematography than the movies of Laika.
Sadly it's my least favorite Kauffman movie. It just left me wanting a lot more. I came out of the peanuts movie more satisfied and I don't even know much about Snoopy.
>>
>>64454728
I don't think it's arguable to say that media, particularly film, overwhelmingly favors depicting affluent white man's struggles with the things you mention. However, those struggles often, like they do in this movie, amount to not much more than a frown and some spontaneous casual sex.

Granted, the way the film depicts Michael's disconnect with reality and his resignation to his life's banality is clever. And again, the presentation is nice.
>>
praising this movie's writing is like praising Avatar's writing. both films parrot stories that are as old and beaten to death as Michael Stone's micropenis, as seen in this film; but present them with a methodical attention to detail in the audio/visual departments
>>
File: O melissokomos.jpg (285 KB, 1200x818) Image search: [Google]
O melissokomos.jpg
285 KB, 1200x818
>>64454929
Because it tries is no reason to praise it where many films have succeed before.
I'd just like to ask why a film framed around the theme of the failings of human communication had to be so talkative (and worse -try to entertaining in its incessant talking?)
Or why an animated film is so unjustified in its chosen medium? (Regarding the dubbing, I'd like to point toward Italian cinema)
Maybe you ought to dine on some cinema before accepting every flick that's thrown your way.
>>
Just watched it.

In terms of the sentiments it tried to convey, it was basically just a shorter and more digestible version of Lost in Translation. Doesn't really do anything new with those subjects that LiT didn't do either. Animation was very impressive though, the lighting and movement is superb and at times you forget that you're actually watching a genuine stop motion film.

6.5/10
>>
>>64447074
I disliked the character designs.
They all looked like they were wearing eyeglasses at times and the Hotel manager looked like a crash test dummy
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.