[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Marco Polo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: muh_kublai.jpg (32 KB, 284x398) Image search: [Google]
muh_kublai.jpg
32 KB, 284x398
Thoughts? Just finished this series, I enjoyed it a lot. Not sure why it didn't take off much

only thing that bothered me is that everyone spoke english instead of going the narcos way with native language + english subs
>>
Marco Polo is the worst thing about Marco Polo.
>>
>>64446789
at least it shits on got
>>
Kublai Khan is my Khan of Khans.
>>
File: 1451383780450.gif (775 KB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
1451383780450.gif
775 KB, 245x245
>the great kublai khan's mongol horde assembles to take on his brother ariq
>it's like 300 people tops
>>
>>64447274
how?

>>64448101
budgets are hard, just like the dinky "siege" on kings landing
>>
>>64446789
>only thing that bothered me is that everyone spoke english instead of going the narcos way with native language + english subs

Do you remember how much people shat on Narcos for its actors not sounding properly Colombian, particularly Pablo himself? You'd have the same thing for Polo if they went that route,you're damned if you do and damned if you don't, really. And just like Narcos' Latin cast, their East Asian cast is drawn from all over the world. Half of them probably don't speak the same Chinese dialect (for instance, just in Kublai's immediate family alone, Benedict Wong is English, Joan Chen is Chinese, and Remy Hii and Uli Latukefu are both Australian) , if they speak it at all. And that's not even getting into the presence of Middle-easterners & Central Asians in the cast. At that point, it's really just easier to use English as a lingua franca and be done with it.
>>
>>64448968
I'm pretty sure the guy playing Marco Polo had to learn to speak fucking english as well. Who would have thought you can live into your late twenties in Italy without learning any english?
>>
>>64449127
it shows. i couldn't understand what the fuck he was saying like 40% of the time.
>>
>>64448968
>Middle-easterners

they spoke arabic in the show and when it wasn't subtitled it was still accurate. i was pleased

t. arab
>>
>>64446789
you are a faggot. cricket guy was cool (if only he had some balls in his younger days and had not died so easy)
>>64448384
thats why you should film in china where people are cheaper than the filming equipment
>>
>>64446789
>names you cant even pronounce
>low test gook girls
>boring as fuck
the most interesting character is the thousand eye
>>
Season 2 when?
>>
>>64449249
>generic blind master
>the most interesting
top kek
>>64449736
hopefully never
>>
>>64449227
>thats why you should film in china

They shot in Malaysia, which I'm sure has quite reasonable costs itself. But you've got to remember, where costume dramas are concerned, you've got more to worry about than just people - if you want a literal cast of thousands, you've got to arrange for that many costumes, that many props, that many makeup artists. There's a reason filmmakers use camera trickery and special effects to make crowds seem larger than they are. Getting a hundred people into costume for what will amount to a few seconds of screen time in the end is an incredibly laborious exercise. Getting thousands is nearly impossible.
>>
>>64449736
it's coming out this summer

there's a special on netflix right now about one thousand eyes past and it said 'season 2 summer 2016' at the end of it
>>
>>64449926
>Getting thousands is nearly impossible.

not if you're russian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SVC_9V8K5Y

these are all real people, i think they got like 100,000 for it
>>
>>64449926
>few seconds of screen
get them some rags and tell them to fight, + you can reuse them for every war shot in the show. its not like game of thrones where they have to pay named actors shit ton of money or rent out historical locations. hell if you can't do that at least frame the shows in a way that maintain the illusion
>>
>>64450108
how old is that movie?
>>64450044
is hemlock grove over for good?
>>
Meh, just felt generic to me. Like "we want the GOT audience" without knowing how to write memorable characters.
>>
>>64450355
>how old is that movie?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063794/

1966. i guess it actually isn't 100,000, more like 15,000. that's still impressive though. they didn't fuck around with epics back then
>>
File: last-kingdom-thumb.png (774 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
last-kingdom-thumb.png
774 KB, 1024x576
Marco Polo is shit. The Last Kingdom is the true patrician show.
>>
>>64450464
well back then they could do shit like that since there was no safety laws
>>64450585
meh. it has non of the kingdoms I give a fuck about, MC is boring but I did not mind that he turned away from savage pussy. I don't know I just can bring myself to give a shit about any of them (I care more about badlands)
>>
>>64450747
Who the fuck is MC?
>>
File: 1135851.gif (2 MB, 288x288) Image search: [Google]
1135851.gif
2 MB, 288x288
>>64450108
>the end of that video
>>
>>64450827
Uhtred of Bebbanburg
>>
>>64450585
That show is literally the same exact plot and focus as Vikings. They capture a priest from Wessex, raise him as their own and eventually go back to Wessex where he's forced to choose sides. Where's the creativity?
>>
>>64451098
I started watching Vikings, but it wasn't very good. The Last Kingdom is better in almost every way compared to Vikings. I don't care how similar they are.
>>
>>64450585
Kinda forced myself through this one. First episode was the best one
Had some amazing actors but the MC was pretty shit. Even the child version of him was better.

Still pretty amped for s2
>>
File: 1439424182794.jpg (48 KB, 411x387) Image search: [Google]
1439424182794.jpg
48 KB, 411x387
>>64446789
hundred eyes makes no sense at all

>blind man struggles to find coin on the floor and paint on walls
>can somehow incapacitate 4 royal guards in 5 seconds without alerting anyone
>can kill the most accomplished fighter in the entire show

also

>gets captured and blinded
>vows to escape
>gets sent on assassination mission
>promises he'll just run away and escape
>willingly returns to servitude after failing his mission
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.