[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just noticed something about this movie. Early in the movie
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 8
File: 41I9XGrG88L.jpg (30 KB, 351x500) Image search: [Google]
41I9XGrG88L.jpg
30 KB, 351x500
Just noticed something about this movie.

Early in the movie it shows Angier reading
Borden's diary, and the first entry is:

>We were two young men at the start of a great career. Two young men devoted to an illusion. Two young men who never intended to hurt anyone."

I only just clicked that he could be talking about him and his brother, not him and Angier.
>>
>>64445799
damn nice catch. this is nolan's best movie. and bale turns in such a great nuanced and subtle performance. you can go back and tell which is borden and which is fallon.
>>
File: cmon_son.jpg (3 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
cmon_son.jpg
3 KB, 160x160
>>
>>64445799
Fuck, everytime something new pops out, I love this movie, I LOVE IT !
>>
>>64445799
hellooooooooooo reddit
>>
BRAVO NOLAN

Somehow I always liked the Illusionist more, but it's probably because of Philip Glass and waifushit.
>>
>>64445904
>he browses reddit
>>
File: bait.png (711 KB, 1183x639) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
711 KB, 1183x639
sage goes in every field
>>
>>64445799
My favorite pieces of foreshadowing are when Borden shows the kid the bird that "disappeared" and the kid asks where his brother is.(Borden's secret) Then not five minutes later Borden looks at the bird double who didn't get smashed and says "you're the lucky one today" then disposes of the dead bird. (Angier's secret)
>>
>>64445799
Bowie as Tesla is so perfect I cannot believe he hasn't played that role before. Great movie, great soundtrack too.
>>
>>64446013
Holy shit, I had never realized this. This movie never ceases to amaze me.
>>
>>64445799
The biggest clue is when Borden is on his first date with his future wife and says good bye to her at the door of her apartment. She opens the door, and there Borden is again on the other side. That should have been the moment we all realized there were two of them. But we weren't really looking. We didn't really want to know the secret.
>>
>>64445887
This movie draws me in every time. I'll put it on thinking, "Hey, this will be good background while I'm doing something else" and before I know it I'm on the couch, engrossed in the film. It's so well done on all fronts. My favorite Hugh Jackman performance, too...as the doppelganger!
>>
>>64445799
So did the cloning machine actually work or not?
>>
>>64446149
I just love it when Michael Cain sees all the drowned clones, and is like "I lied, he said it was complete agony."
>>
I really, really don't like this meme.
>>
I always really liked how they each died the same way their wife died, drowning/hanging
>>
>>64445799
I remember explaining this movie at a buddy of mine, "ok so Wolverine and Batman are magicians..."
>>
HE'S USING A BLOODY DOUBLE
>>
>>64446149
yes..........did you not notice the 2 cats........or all of the glass cases of angiers................or the gigantic pile of hats?
>>
File: illusionist.png (168 KB, 500x351) Image search: [Google]
illusionist.png
168 KB, 500x351
>>64446259
Illusionists! Batman and Wolverine are illusionists!
>>
>>64445917
Illusionist is not rewatchable at all though
>>
>>64446052
Edison was a dick. That's something they should have taught in school.
>>
>>64446324
Yeah I know. Some retard in another Prestige thread tried to argue that Tesla planted those to fool Angier.

The only problem is that when they first demonstrate the trick to the theatre owner, it appears to work properly. They didn't have time to properly set it up yet so where did the clone go?
>>
>>64446090
Fedora: the post
>>
>>64445799
OP, are you watching this on Encore like me?
>>
>>64445799
Fuck off back to reddit. I'll join you.
>>
>>64446432
I second this.

Also:

Nikola Tesla spoke 8 languages. A 'hyper' polyglot. With great proficiency. I think he also slept very little. To keep his productivity rate high as FUUU. Lol. He was a cool guy, worthy of admiration.
>>
>>64445843
Agreed on it being his best.

Has anyone else noticed that the entire movie is broken down into a pledge, a turn and a prestige?
>>
>>64446665
Okay this has to stop

If that fucking nip owner doesn't do something to weed out Leddit I'm going to kraut chan
>>
>>64446726
>being this into "4chan culture"

Get the fuck out of here you fucking nerd.
>>
>>64446437
cutter arrived late, he mentioned all the stage hands, so they had it all set up. and you see the trap door for a few frames i believe.
>>
>>64446726
hello reddit
>>
>>64446754
Don't fucking bully me again or you'll regret it
>>
>>64446726
This thread has a bunch of posts that are copypastad from Reddit. I have no idea what kind of autism would make someone do this.

Is it funny?
>>
>>64446755
Damn, I need to watch it again.
>>
>>64446823
>This thread has a bunch of posts that are copypastad from Reddit

how do you know :^)
>>
>>64446823
yeah cause the retard you're responding too doesn't get it, unless he does then *tips fedora*
>>
>>64446833
comfy movie in general.
>>
File: 1389239278625.jpg (15 KB, 285x249) Image search: [Google]
1389239278625.jpg
15 KB, 285x249
https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/3za7jj/i_only_just_noticed_something_while_rewatching/
>>
>>64446052
Notice how Bowie exhibits his signature heterochromia like he did when he performed in the 70s-80s?
>>
File: th.jpg (7 KB, 260x300) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
7 KB, 260x300
We reddit now boys
>>
>>64446149
It didn't clone anything.

It teleported their interdimensional counterparts from parallel dimensions.
>>
You do know this only goes to show that Reddit does in fact have better threads than /tv/? For fuck's sake, people on this board are posting about anvils right now and think it's hilarious.
>>
>>64446888
The screenshots are in other threads in the catalog and in this very thread >>64445975

>>64446896
Fuck off shitposter.
>>
>>64446259
Don't forget that Tyler Durden was an illusionist...
>>
>>64445975
there should be a script that checks reddits posts, and as soon as the same post goes up here it is automatically deleted
>>
>>64447038
BRAVO NOLAN
>>
>>64447054
If you prefer another site, why shitpost here?
>>
>>64446691
Get the fuck out of here. Get the FUCK out of here. Damn Nolan is so great.
>>
>>64447174
I'd rather not have to shitpost. I'd prefer to discuss The Prestige.
>>
>reddit means read it

holy fuck
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 600x290) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 600x290
This thread must be what being a paranoid schizophrenic feels like.
>>
>>64447212
is this a magic trick designed to encourage shitposting?
>>
>>64445799
>Two young men who never intended to hurt anyone.

So deep
>>
As much as I love this movie, I have to say I preffer Memento.
>>
>>64445799
but you just argued for how shit the movie was if it wasnt subtle enough to keep you fooled
>>
>>64447286
I'll admit it, I lol'd.
>>
>>64447867
MOAR LIEK MEME-ENTO AMIRITE?!?
>>
Congrats op I saw this on Reddit earlier too
>>
>>64448001
No.
>>
>>64448490
Yes, I'm afraid so...
>>
>>64445799
LITERALLY REDDIT

EAT A DICKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
>>
>>64447245
>reddit
>read it
Doesn't even sound the same
>>
>>64449341
I read that book last night.

RED. IT.

u dumb fucking cunt
>>
Mfw people seriously think Angier did anything wrong
>>
>>64449895
He was a paedophile
>>
>>64445799
Dude wtf I hadn't watched this in years, decide to watch it with the familia, it ends and I see this thread on my chans.
>>
>>64445917
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNo9REYhusY

Good taste.
>>
>>64446138
I love how the jackedman doppelganger has a visibly weaker chin and worse teeth.
>>
You are now aware that there was no clone machine, it never worked- it was just something Hugh Jackman put in his diary to trick Bale. Jackman never went to America and he never met Tesla. The idea of getting the audience to believe in an impossible machine was the movie pulling a magic trick on you- nothing in the movie that actually happened was impossible.

That row full of dead bodies- just dummies- just like if you were going to make a movie about dummies in tanks full of water. It was fake. It was meant to fool- but it didn't work, because when Jackman says "look around you, look where you are" Bale says "I don't care.

Jackman had a twin- too, that's the only double Bale actually sees, that was the actor drunk. It wasn't some cooincidence, it was his brother.

The entire movie is a trick. You should not trust anything either man wrote in their journals- they're shown to be lying to each other (and therefore the audience) and in the book that's more explicit, since the entire book is a series of journals.
>>
>>64450673
Absolute arse gravy!
>>
>>64450673
So what was the point of having double relationships
>>
>ITT: redditors calling out other redditors for being redditors and non-redditors becoming redditors by redditing in order to call out redditors
>>
>>64450673
The movie you watched was just a digital copy of the original. The original is in a box, and no one cares about the man in the box.
>>
>>64451150
I don't know whether memes have invaded reality or whether my reality has become memes.
>>
>>64446013
Honestly this is what made me fall in love with Christopher Nolan's writing. Inception was the same. Those two films warrant a re-watch every 6 weeks or so. I constantly find more and more things whilst maintaining my love for the films. This with the combination of the Batman trilogy made me fall in love with Christian Bale's acting skills, too.
>>
>>64446324
>>64446437
The machine didn't work. The only "clone" was Root, who died in the final rendition of the trick.

The duplicate cats and pile of hats are described in Angier's journal, and they are lies.
>>
File: leddit.png (114 KB, 859x509) Image search: [Google]
leddit.png
114 KB, 859x509
POTTERY
U
S
S
Y
>>
>>64451201
Memes (specifically dank ones) have been known to tear the fabric of reality, e.g. the Les Bains plane crash
>>
>>64446277
The line is "BLOODY GOOD DABBO".
Check your facts.
>>
>>64451608
Deus Ex Memeina
>>
>>64450673
this is the correct interpretation
>>
>>64446691
Not to downplay this, but that could kinda be used to describe any 3-act story
>>
>>64451776
nuh uh, Nolan came up with that shit by himself
>>
I lol at all the buttmad fags in threads like these who solely exist to try and act they didn't like the movie or that they epic hate Nolan. Nolan's films are some of the greatest of his time, and I pity those who feel the need to hate on them rather than enjoy them. Seriously get a life
>>
>>64450673
This sounds like something I'd read on Livejournal.
>>
>>64451150
aka "trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls"
>>
>>64451151
Alice in Chains does.
>>
>>64445843
That's because it's based on a novel. Nolan bros are hack writers.
>>
Nolan makes good flicks
>>
>>64452026
You obviously didn't go to USC School de Cinematique.
>>
>>64447867
Memento is also great
>>
One of the clues that Jackman is lying in his journals is in almost every single scene that takes place in his journal somebody compliments him as one of the greatest magicians in the world. Even in the scene that takes place in America, someone has heard of this fucking magician from England- and that was Tesla's assistant. Hogwash.

Bale made the key to his journal Tesla in order to send him on a wild goose chase, Jackman says as much, and then Hackman goes, "but what you thought was a wild goose chase wasn't, it turns out tesla DID build this impossible cloning/transporting machine!" What an amazing and unbelievable coincidence.

If you really watch the film closely, nothing in Jackman's journal holds up to scrutiny or is plausible. But you don't want to watch closely, you want to be fooled. You're not really looking.

The entire movie is about itself and about the illusion of movies. The answer is always mundane, the mystery is what impresses people, there are so many lines in the movie that pertain to that.
>>
>>64450673
The implication here is that chris nolan is clever. You'd be wrong.
>>
>>64452237
Have you actually read the novel though? It's really different.
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.