[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could she have been any more of a mary sue?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7
File: Rey.jpg (221 KB, 640x958) Image search: [Google]
Rey.jpg
221 KB, 640x958
Could she have been any more of a mary sue?
>>
>>64444585
Son, is that you? i called you up for dinner ten minutes ago! I'll take your keyboard away again if I have to!
>>
>>64444585
could you be any more of a virgin?
>>
Maryfu, more like

A CUTE
>>
>>64444585
What did you expect from someone supposed to be a jedi? Jedi are by definition the Marysu Clan, with light, good and stuff.
>>
>>64444701
>>64444793
Did you really need to post twice?

That said
>Masters flight of a run down beaten star ship in about a minute
>Beats the tar out of two guys who got the jump on her
>Lukes daughter
>Now has Han's ship and Chewies new best friend
>Instantly friends with and highly respected by everyone
>Is the go to person to save other people
>Can Jedi Mind trick despite not even believing Jedi are a real thing a day before
>Can combat someone with vastly more experience, both in force and in sword combat

No faults, and is so important she now overshadows every one and every thing.
>>
That's not Anakin.
>>
>>64444585
>knows more about the Millennium Falcon than Han

Fucking really?
>>
She could have saved the day. Han and Chewie set the explosives and Poe blows the station up.
>>
>>64445022
That doesn't seem more retarded than digging a whole fucking planet to put a gigantic star-gulping weapon in it without anybody noticing, putting a huge fucking weak point to destroy said weapon on the surface of the planet, a assign a squad a 20 tie-fighters to guards it.
>>
>>64445022
Inb4 Rey fags miss the point completely and think giving explanations for bad characterization somehow fixes bad characterization
>>
>>64445137
Yep. They really wrote that into a real star wars movie
>>
>>64445022
> autism
autism

You're given to your conclusion and pervert all interpretations to your favored angle. You're given to your conclusion because her vagina makes her unsuitable as a self-insert, and due to your lack of empathy, self-inserts are the only characters you find interesting. Pathetic.
>>
>>64444585
To be more of a Mary Sue, she would have to begin being a Mary Sue
>>
>It's an "Autists are mad that TFA was actually good so they nitpick every aspect of a character to create flaws that aren't there" thread
>>
>>64445022
You forgot

>is inexplicably trilingual
>>
Yes. She doesn't have a boyfriend at the end of the movie. She could've ended up in a threesome with Finn and Poe. Or Ren would suddenly turn good in order to shtup her.
>>
>>64445137

As a caveat, there were some additional mechanisms added to the Falcon without Han's knowledge, but you have to wonder why on Earth the screenwriters of this movie went out of their way to insert that bit, on top of everything else they already show Rey able to do

why shoehorn a "lol, she got him" moment with regards to his ship of 40+ years?

the only people the creators of this movie have to blame for the mary sue criticism is themselves
>>
>>64445137
No. Only willfully blind and halfwitted viewers don't make the connection between all of her inside knowledge about the ship (expressed in several lines of dialogue) and the fact that she knows more than Han about the component that was added to it while it was out of his possession.
>>
>>64445457
She was such a disrespectful bitch about it though. Smug characters who constantly go on about "I know how to do this, I don't need help" are the worst.
>>
>>64445311
>ad hom
>projecting

>this is the average star wars fanbabby
>>
File: groan zone.jpg (20 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
groan zone.jpg
20 KB, 500x375
>>64445588

>DON'T HOLD MY HAND x3
>my fucking face when everytime
>>
>>64445022
>>Can Jedi Mind trick despite not even believing Jedi are a real thing a day before

I'll give you everything except that.

She was in Rens mind long enough to find out he wanted to fuck Darth Vader, why couldn't she have also learned about force shit from that?
>>
Who gives a shit? The movie blows.
>>
honest answer yes, she could have discovered the force without interacting with ren and did a bunch more crazy force power shit.
>>
>>64445588

This

rationalize it however you want, the inclusion of that bit was entirely unnecessary, as were many other parts with her

it reads like some bitchy 12 year old girl writing about her one upping everyone, ergo Mary Sue

we don't even get a good explanation as to how "tinkering about occasionally as she scraps parts in the desert" == "knowing the incredibly complex and intricate engineering mechanics of the Millienium Falcon as they work in operation"

Ah wait, that's right, people with no concept of technology think you can "tinker" with a motherboard and know how to fix any PC hardware issue you come across
>>
>>64444585
>>
>>64446183
That wasn't because she didn't want help from a man, it was because she didn't want to be touched by a black man.
>>
eh whatever. it didn't pull me out of the movie, I give it some breaks since it's fantasy.
>she should have been this she should have been that
she was too experienced blah blah blah shitty writing movie has too many coincidences, fake unrealistic characters.
opinions opinions.
you sound like a bunch of triggered mra fags and would have hated her regardless. like you downloaded the rip and went into it looking to be personally offended so you could talk about how right you were on /tv/ and how shit the movie was. would have happened if she got pwned more or if she got out of the restraints some other way because that would still be an op unrealistic move on her part.
>>
>>64444585
I hated the movie it was so stupid. 10/10 Mary Sue in a 1/10 movie.
>>
>>64446295
I don't know why writers insist on writing characters like that, especially female ones. I've never met a single grill who obnoxiously goes on about how competent she is and how she doesn't need help. I'm sure the ones that do are autistic or have an inferiority complex.
>>
>>64444585

>>64444903

This.

Not trying to sound all SJW, but you fucks absolutely would not be saying this shit all the time if she was a guy. Certainly not to this extent.
>>
Nothing can save you now.

>>64444444
>>
>>64445457
>Is a scavenger of dead star ships
>This makes her a pilot ace who can fly a much larger ship through tight areas as well as or better than trained pilots

>Can somehow use the force more naturally than anyone else in the series history and fight a trained swordsman 1 on 1

>Can also fire a gun perfectly after her first four shots

>>64446198
Knowing doesn't magically make it so you can suddenly do it competently.

She was a character without a single fault who constantly mastered everything without really trying, and is connected in some way to almost everyone.

If it was a man, it would have been just as stupid.
>>
>>64444903
A Mary Sue is a new character implanted into a pre-established universe who is better at everything than the pre-established characters and is automatically liked by said characters.

That doesn't describe all the Jedi.
>>
>>64446819
People disliked Anakin for being a perfect little know it all who could do everything right and nothing wrong.

It has nothing to do with her being a female, everything to do with her being flawless.
>>
>>64446819
I'd be pissed as hell if some male faggot upstart managed to one-up based Luke/Han and acted like a know it all about it. And you do realize a shit ton of people hate Anakin, right?
>>
>>64444585
what if...

there is truth to the silly mind-wipe shit, and it was really Rey who massacred Lukes students?
>>
>>64447139
Then she'd finally be an interesting character.
>>
File: sheev.png (489 KB, 523x699) Image search: [Google]
sheev.png
489 KB, 523x699
>want to have a movie discussion
>burgers make it about race, gender or some other horseshit
>because if they do it IRL they'd be sent to prison

I'd call you garbage and poison but I'm really sorry for what happened to you that turned you all into sperging beta fags,
>>
>>64447139
In the flashback we see her being left on Jakku when she was like 4 at most and we see her counting the days spent there by marking them on the wall so it's unlikely that she has some major case of amnesia

why is that always ignored?
>>
>>64447254
somebody is going to "implanted false memories"
>>
File: 1_048.jpg (243 KB, 666x666) Image search: [Google]
1_048.jpg
243 KB, 666x666
>>64446858
>Knowing doesn't magically make it so you can suddenly do it competently.

It took her three times.

I don't read Wookiepedia, but it seems like a easy Force thing to do, so unless its actually one of the hardest things to master I don't see the problem.
>>
>>64448300
Doing it three times in a row isnt the same as practicing three times. If you master it within the span of a minute, then its not really practice, its instant mastery.

And yes, it had been somewhat established as a difficult thing to do properly. Generally, you start with learning how to simply move things. But surprise surprise, she can already do that better than Kylo.
>>
>>64449048
>Doing it three times in a row isnt the same as practicing three times. If you master it within the span of a minute, then its not really practice, its instant mastery.
and the force experts crawl out of the woodwork.
give up faggots it's a fantasy movie for kids.
>>
>>64449431
I dont see how what you said is in any way related to what you're green texting.

Anakin was a better written character than Rey. At least Anakin had flaws.
>>
>>64449431
JUST TURN OFF UR BRANE BRO
>>
>>64449786
>>64449716
>applying logic to space magic to space aliens
it can be done to a certain extent but you shouldn't criticize it to the extent you are. it makes you sound autistic.
>>
File: IMG-20160104-WA0001.jpg (94 KB, 700x539) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160104-WA0001.jpg
94 KB, 700x539
Would she still be considered a mary sue?
>>
>>64449938
yeah
>>
>>64449938
well no.
>>
>>64449938
maybe
>>
>>64449938
I don't know
>>
File: 1443062833212.jpg (325 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1443062833212.jpg
325 KB, 1024x1024
Did the man who invented college go to college?
>>
>>64449938
Can you repeat the question?
>>
>>64445149
Its kinda hilarious how irrelevant her character ended up despite her being Jesus MacGyver with vagina. She participation in the movie boils down to rescuing BB8 and getting her ass captured. Then she is sent to meet Luke just because.
>>
>>64444793
Stay on tumblr you fat slut
>>
>>64449938
Depends on the why.
>>
>>64449048
It just seems like you say something while using the Force to put what you're saying into someones brain, the fact that its normally used with a wave of the hand makes it seem like a super easy Force move to use.

This is the only thing I'm defending about her. Nothing else.
>>
>>64445022
Is is bad that I don't care? It's fucking Star Wars. It's based on medieval fantasy and Flash Gordon space opera where good people are good and bad people are bad. An inherent part of the fiction is an omnipresent force that basically lets you do anything as long as you believe it. I don't care if there are coincidences, I don't care if all the important shit in the galaxy is all done by a bunch of people that know and or are related to each other, I don't care about OP mary sue characters, or the fact that ANH, TPM, and TFA are all basically the same movie, because all of these are just part of the journey to a fun adventure.

I completely understand why other people compare it to other movies and hate the fact that it has all that stuff in there because at face value it's a bunch of bullshit, but it's been in there since the beginning of the franchise, and I don't really have a problem with it because I know what to expect. I expected Star Wars, I got Star Wars.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.