[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wow I just realized that outside of 4chan Christopher Nolan is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
Wow I just realized that outside of 4chan Christopher Nolan is almost universally praised. Wtf I knew I liked his movies but you guys told me he was shit all these years.
>>
>>64440605
>trusting /tv/
>>
I'm a liberal and will be voting for Trump this cycle.

Things aren't always as simple as they appear on the surface; Nolan IS universally praised. And his product IS universally shit.

It's a mystery.
>>
He peaked with The Prestige and TDK. Everything since has been downhill.
>>
>>64440894
>TDK
holy shit, the movie was terrible
>>
>>64440605

Everyone has shit taste except for /tv/
>>
>>64440935
reddit
>>
File: 1442083479122.jpg (80 KB, 788x681) Image search: [Google]
1442083479122.jpg
80 KB, 788x681
>>64440605
>you guys told me he was shit all these years.

What the fuck are you talking about?
Nolan gave us Baneposting, we worship him.
>>
>>64440935
That was the Joker one, not Bane.
>>
>>64440832
This.

FFS! Do you realise /tv/ is generally full of edgy contrarian teenagers?
>>
You do realise that there is no universal /tv/? I see him getting praise here as well as getting shit.
>>
>>64440605
He has a handful of good films. Then other mediocre ones that clutter up his filmography.

His good films would be imo: The Prestige, Memento, and Batman Begins for me.

Nolan is horribly at directing action yet he found himself in the director and producers chair for a lot of big budget blockbusters that just do not suit his style at all. TDKR suffers the worst from this, but even Interstellar became much more trashy and "blockbustery" during the middle and end of the film as the action sequences ramped up.

I appreciate that he makes movies that usually aren't reboots or sequels and he can get original ips out there and find an audience for them. I appreciate his use of effects and his films often look good. But his direction is really stale, he's like an ideas guy and a soulless corporate exec wrapped into one man and when the ideas guy prevails his films work, when corporate money making guy prevails they're bland.
>>
>>64441003
Oh yeah, right
>>
When you realize that you can reliably tell which movies are amazing by how much they're shit on here, you'll understand what kind of people you're surrounded by.

It's at the point where if you open a thread and a movie is invariably being called "shit" by the circle jerkers posting in it, it's almost guaranteed to have an RT score over 90%. The only real exceptions to this rule are continuations of older series' that neckbeard virgins love to circle jerk. For example, a new movie in the Terminator, Alien, Star Wars franchises, or any other shallow tripe from the 70s and 80s, will always be shit on by the fat losers here regardless of its critical reception. That's the one thing that overrides the desperate, psuedo-intellectual contrarianism.
>>
>>64440605
he's okay, but people overrate him a bit much imo

(though he did make the best meme)
>>
>>64440894
>He peaked with The Prestige
Yup. Definitely his best and most well made film. I can't think of any flaws in it. The rest of them have several issues that he tries to hide with intellectual pandering or cheap effects.
>>
>>64441472
Or maybe you just have shit taste.
>>
>>64441472
You can't tell anything from /tv/. Some of the shit I agree with, some not. Never in my life would I spend more than 10 minutes discussing TFA, but here we are with several hundred threads a day.
>>
>>64442980

You can honestly tell which movies are great by how much people here say they're bad. I realized over time that I could predict if a movie had near perfect reviews even if I knew nothing about it but how negative threads on it were.

>>64442727

All the evidence points to the fact that "shit taste" is the least of your problems. You're a severely retarded manchild who still hasn't gotten over the contrarian phase, which most people shed by age 10. You're insecure about your low intelligence and low worth so, out of desperation to feel superior to your superiors, you claim great movies are actually bad.

>oh you like THAT?

Now go back to gossiping about hairlines and practical effects you worthless subhuman trailer trash.
>>
>>64443170
Absolutely BTFO!!!
>>
are you that thick? the whole reason people here call him shit is because of how overrated he is...
>>
>>64440935
hello reddit
>>
>>64440879
>i'm literally going to vote for this popular guy who clearly doesn't know shit about anything
>but people who like nolan are sheep
The irony is dripping from my monitor.
>>
>>64440605
He's not shit, he's just middling.
>>
>>64440894
He peaked with Memento.
>>
>>64440605

That's actually a pretty damn good resume for his age

loved almost all of those movies
>>
>>64440605
Nolan isn't bad, he's just Fincher lite.
>>
>>64443170
>what gets good reviews on aggregate sites is good
>what sells a lot of tickets and generates buzz is good
It's hilarious how you could insult someone for being a childish contrarian when you obviously think someone else's opinion or popularity is what determines quality.
>>
>>64443170
Damn talk about a good post.
>>
>>64444569
Says the one who is defending those who think High Rating and Popularity = Bad Quality.
>>
>>64444569

>Move releases
>Several hundred critics review it with the average score being an 8.5/10. Near unanimous praise.
>Board on 4chan known for laughing at toddler humor, being contrarian manchildren, and shilling for stormfront says "it's shit," which was the same review they gave to literally every other praised movie

Gee
>>
>>64444688
I don't at all. I said before that you can't tell anything at all from /tv/, and I think that's true. There are people on here who love and hate every film or series discussed on the board. The fact that something is getting negative feedback here typically only means it's getting buzz in general. If you need /tv/, a reviewer, or the box office to tell you whether a film is good or not, you simply don't have your own taste.
>>64444934
>muh review sites
>muh hivemind
>muh manchildren maymay
I don't understand why you would even care in the first place what 4chan thinks, but if you've never disagreed with public opinion about a piece of media, I doubt you've consumed much media at all, whether film or otherwise. It's not about being contrarian all the time, it's about not being tethered to anyone else's opinion.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.