[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>WAAAAAHHH IT'S TOO MUCH LIKE THE ORIGINAL MOVIES INSTEAD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 7
>WAAAAAHHH IT'S TOO MUCH LIKE THE ORIGINAL MOVIES INSTEAD OF SOME COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FRANCHISE!!!!

Is this some bad joke?
>>
>I'd rather watch the same movie over and over again that any director dare to take risks
>>
not "too much like"

more like "a carbon copy of Episodes 4 through 6 that can't stand alone as its own bona fide episode"
>>
>>64435998
The story doesn't even make sense. So yea the movie was a bad joke. It had its good moments though.
>>
>>64435998
the fact that it's making so much money despite being rubbish AND a copy is definitely at least a little bit absurd.
>>
>>64435998
Everyone agrees the movie is good except for EU autists and contrarian trolls. They don't matter.
>>
>>64436043
Neither can V
>>
>>64436078

after Jurassic World and Furious 7 making so much I don't put a lot of stock into global earnings anymore
>>
>>64436186

>V
>with memorable new scenes and locales, great new character additions like Yoda, the biggest and most characteristic plot twist in the saga

You may have misunderstood my post

I'm saying this dumb fucking milque toast movie added nothing of value
>>
>>64436240
Oh gotcha. Fair enough
>>
>>64436046
>The story doesn't even make sense
how? of course some plot points are yet to be finished since its the first movie of a trilogy but having seen it tiwce I didnt come across anything that straight up didnt make sense
>>
>>64435998
tell that to kanjiklub
>>
>>64436194
At least Furious 7 knows exactly what it is. A ridiculously bad movie that makes fun of itself the whole film.

Jurassic World thinks it actually a good movie.
>>
if you can't see how much of a cash grab this film is, then you're retarded

people only find it interesting because of the similarities and references to the original films
>>
>>64436837
Just the weapon planet itself made no sense. They had to fly the fucking Death Star to a system to destroy planets. Even traveling at the speed of light, it would take years for the beams to get to another system.
>>
>>64436837
>of course some plot points are yet to be finished since its the first movie of a trilogy

It's because of spastics like you that these movies will continue to be forgettable and mediocre.
>>
>>64437554

Obviously the weapon makes use of hyperspace or something you gigantic mentally retarded faggot.
>>
kids today watch ANH and think it sucks. TFA did its job by taking that movie and making something fun out of it. Children don't care about originality.
>>
>>64435998
>INSTEAD OF SOME COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FRANCHISE!!!!
Hi, Strawman
>>
File: 1450535895940.jpg (125 KB, 720x682) Image search: [Google]
1450535895940.jpg
125 KB, 720x682
It's interesting how people hate it for not "feeling" like a star wars movie yet also for being too similar to Episode IV.
>>
>>64437554
>>64437822
Yeah, its a Hyperspace weapon, which is also why people can see it from several star systems away.
>>
I'll buy that it's too much like the OT. I get where people are coming from, and I politely disagree.

But what would you have: something closer to a sure thing, or something that strays too far away from what makes it so cohesive?

You know, like the prequels.
>>
>>64435998
NEVER FUCKING REPLY TO ME AGAIN UNLESS YOU'RE CONTRIBUTING TO THE THREAD
>>
People who make this complaint have no friends. And if they do, they are the least popular and constantly annoy said friends with their inane complaints about trivial bullshit.
>>
>>64435998
>>64438102
prequels>tfa tho

My biggest disappointment wity TFA was that there was no new worlds or locations tht they explored. At least prequels had cool cities and exotic planets. TFA just had loldesert, lolsnow and that was it. No exploring of worlds at all. They showed that 1 city for about 10 seconds before it just got blown up and we're supposed to care about all the people that died on it?
>>
>>64435998

It's a shit retelling of the Hero's Journey. Han Solo is the mentor but doesn't mentor anything. Is Kylo our Threshold Guardian? Really? Where are the challenges and temptations? A New Hope had all of these (We get to the Abyss in ESB). The people who made Force Awakens literally have not a single clue in their head about how to stitch together a narrative. It's a dumb action flick in every sense of the word.
>>
>>64437939

Lets be honest..

TFA was made for 50 year old nostalgia fags who have a living breathing hatred for the prequels.
>>
>>64437822
Then why doesn't the republic just start attaching hyperdrives to planets and start shooting planets at each other from across the galaxy?

Oh yeah cause it's fucking stupid.

Or a very literal interpretation of "star wars"
>>
>>64439659
This lol. New hope was such a well told story and brought in this huge universe and lore, and a completely new take on the idea of magic, while still sticking to the heros journey template. TFA was muh nostalgia the movie, without incorporating the key parts of what made sw great (new and exciting locations, expansive lore, well told heros jounrey)
>>
>>64435998
Hello reddit
>>
>>64436186
As far as the plot itself goes you're right. But in terms of what Empire introduces thematically it's a movie that feels whole and satisfying. The Force Awakens doesn't have that whatsoever because it has nothing to offer but bombast. It doesn't feel like its own thing so much as an extended advertisement for new Star Wars stuff.
>>
man the shills are out in full force today
>>
>>64439781

This is true, notice how they tried to avoid anything relating to politics in the film and just focused on laser sword fights and pew, pew. Which people demanded the prequels needed more of.
>>
>>64437998
What's so hard to get?

It's a carbon copy of A New Hope plot, but done in a generic 2010's hollywood blockbuster way. Hence, a shitty remix of a New Hope.
>>
>>64435998
>prequels come out
>"These are too different from the originals and don't feel like Star Wars"
>The Force Awakens come out
>"It's too much like the first one"
what do you people want?
>>
>>64437998
It'd be like me making your favorite pizza only replacing the secret recipe of mama's tomato sauce with ketchup to save money.
And plebian shitheads like you with no taste claim they can't tell the difference.
>>
>>64440167
The first one, only good. Its too late now disney just made it the most appealable piece of garbage so retard plebs eat it the fuck up.
>>
>>64440167
Great job of excluding the middle.
>>
Am I weird for thinking it was too comedic in tone at times? I get these are family films and I'm not asking for gritty/dark films, but were the originals/prequels filled with as many gags as this was?
>>
>>64440167
you're deliberately misinterpreting the argument, so here's your (you)
>>
>witty pilot
>desert orphan who wants more out of life but can't quite manage it
>giant sphere/bad guy base capable of destroying planets
>story-relevant details being chased by baddies
>said details are stowed away on a droid
>main bad guy wears a voice changing mask
>a loveable character gets killed
>trench runs

Don't get me wrong, I loved the film... just felt too similar to IV.
>>
>>64440383
Most of the humour of the originals came from Solo although I'm with you because while watching the film I thought there was *so* much more comedy. Not verging on a comedy but comparably more gag bits.
>>
After the fuck up that was the Prequels, adding on top of the stigma of "EWWWW DISNEY OWNS STAR WARS" made the producers decide to go as safe as possible to get the fans on their side before going into the real meat of the story in the following two episodes, and what better way to do so than to practically remake the film that started the entire phenomenon?

My main worry is the 18 month gap between the release dates.
>>
>>64440112
The problem with prequels wasn't that they had politics. It was that the politics were boring and didn't make any fucking sense. They could have made them interesting and nobody would complain.
>>
>>64436978
This will never be a meme
>>
Disney is doing a great job using reddit for Damage control. Kind o f like how George Bush used dumb Christians to push for war.
>>
>>64440499
There's a movie next year just not ep 8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_One
>>
>>64440503
Also the fact that episode 1 tried to shoe horn a lot of stories into the ending at the same time.

>Ep 4 - Take out the Death Star
>Ep 5 - Luke vs Vader / The gang escaping after Han is frozen
>Ep 6 - Gang and Ewoks vs Empire / Luke vs Vader 2 / Lando in the Falcon

Episode 6 was already pushing it a little, but at least they were all characters that'd been established and built up over the course of two films so the audience would at least be invested. Phantom Menace had the following

>Jedis vs Maul
>Anakin being an absolute mad man
>Jar Jar leading the Gungans
>Padme and Gang doing whatever it was they did

And that's after they were all poorly written in the space of a single film, causing the audience to not give a single shit about any of them, besides maybe the Jedis vs Maul.
>>
>>64440680
Not one of the 3 episodes so not really the same, but still a clear case of milking out the wazoo.
>>
>>64437939
Weren't 70% of the audience white men around age 34?
>>
>>64435998
The whole thing is just ANH all over again with some differences.
>>
File: south-park-youre-getting-old.png (253 KB, 624x352) Image search: [Google]
south-park-youre-getting-old.png
253 KB, 624x352
>>64438153
It's either eating shit and enjoying or being a social pariah then
>>
File: 1451801212921.jpg (355 KB, 948x885) Image search: [Google]
1451801212921.jpg
355 KB, 948x885
>>64435998

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNAy7yCMyBw

shit sucks stop defending it
>>
>>64440167
>there can't be a middle ground
>everyone is the same person

I love this meme
>>
>>64438153

That's where you're wrong, the people who make this complain AREN'T influenced by society, they know how to think for themselves,have personalities, form opinions, etc. If you notice how everyone who apparently loves this film can't really refute any claims outside of "I liked it", that's because society has completely corrupted to swindle money from them and brain washed them not to go against the herd like many of us here have.
>>
>>64440966
faggots who appeal to popularity for defending something are underage, FACT.
>>
I watched the movie a couple of weeks ago and I'm still not sure if I liked it or not. Kind of felt like Return Of The Jedi.

I liked Luke in the end, but I didn't like that Han died. Emo, Mary Sue, nigga I just don't care. Leia wasn't interesting, which is disappointing. Maybe in the next movie she can be a more important character. Rey was kind of sexy though, that was a good thing. The new sith guy, who is he, Volan de Mort? TR8R part was good though.
So it's hard to say. I would rate it 8/10
>>
Reasons why TFA shit:

1: Boring locations, apart from 5 mins of nice Jakku shots, all you get is bland european forests (inc snowy forest)

2: overall lack of visual diversity, nothing really cool to look at apart from a few iconic designs taken straight from ANH. Shit aliens and only a couple of spaceships we've seen before

3. Absolutely forgettable, almost unnoticeable score

4. The overarching storyline doesn't make emotional sense. Forgetting logic for a minute, it FEELS wrong that 30 years after ROTJ there's still a shit impotent republic, a fascist Empire, and a rebel alliance. It also feels wrong that at 87 years of age Han Solo is still basically a space hobo

5. Crappy claustropic direction courtesy of JJ. It feels in places like the set of Firefly or something

6. Starkiller is a ludicrous threat that conveys no sense of menace; there's mimimal tension or loss conveyed by the planet's destruction; the climax of the movie is a few minutes of fighting and an offensively, almost mockingly lazy rehash of Death Star run from ANH and ROTJ
>>
>>64441072

Don't ever fucking reply to me again unless you're contributing to the thread
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1936x2592) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1936x2592
It went to some comedic lengths to avoid pauses, politics, and intellectual leaders in all areas of life.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1936x2592) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1936x2592
It was a good sendoff for the old trilogy.
>>
>>64441007
what anime is this?
>>
>>64441351
>1: Boring locations, apart from 5 mins of nice Jakku shots, all you get is bland european forests (inc snowy forest)
The other six movies already used forest, snow, desert, city, beach, pastoral. Literally any setting would seem either derivative or bland. Not every planet needs Naboo style uniqueness

>2: overall lack of visual diversity, nothing really cool to look at apart from a few iconic designs taken straight from ANH. Shit aliens and only a couple of spaceships we've seen before
Fair

>3. Absolutely forgettable, almost unnoticeable score
Couldn't be helped, Williams is super old and well past his prime. Kylo's theme and the Resistance March were both great though

>4. The overarching storyline doesn't make emotional sense. Forgetting logic for a minute, it FEELS wrong that 30 years after ROTJ there's still a shit impotent republic, a fascist Empire, and a rebel alliance. It also feels wrong that at 87 years of age Han Solo is still basically a space hobo

It makes pretty good sense if you think about it. The Empire was huge and had absolute control. That sort of thing doesn't entrely collapse just because the guy in charge dies, there are still control mechanisms, patriots, cash, and a government set up. The rebellion was never popular, wealthy, or rutheless enough to actually establish a functioning government. It would be unbelievable if they had become a super powerful republic.
The Resistance is just proxy war stuff, which is legitimate, just not explained very well. Which makes sense because of how much people complained about the political focus of earlier movies.

The last two points are also legitimate
>>
>>64440620
Do you think Disney pays people to comment on Reddit, especially /r/movies?

I wouldn't be surprised if so.
>>
>>64435998
>Copies only the superficial elements of the prequels
>Slaps them onto a generic Modern Blockbuster skeleton
>Retains almost none of the charm of the original trilogy
>>
>>64442447
Not Disney directly, but they hire "social media expert" companies who, in turn, outsource their shit to Eastern Europe and Asia.
>>
>>64442447
They're stupid enough to do it free
>>
>>64435998
Guy navigating a trench to shoot into a two meter exhaust port.

Sound familiar? It's me fucking your mom last night.
>>
>>64435998
I generally liked it, but it certainly wasn't more than 6 or 7/10

One thing that bothered me a lot was the actors.

Ray was the worst. She's mean to be the main character, but her actor is poorly cast. She seems like a girly girl trying to pull off the tough peice-of-work woman type. Leia in the originals was good.

Kylo ren, the second most important character. His actor is also badly cast. He never really seems like he's actually evil, just really emo or something. He never sounds convincingly intimidating. When you see him struggle with wanting to be a good guy, it doesn't feel like a struggle because he never seems like a compelling bad guy in the first place.

Han solo and Leia are both gross old people. Han does lots of adventuring around, even though is a slow old grandpa. It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be, but I wish he wasn't doing any of that shit and they had some new guy instead.

Everyone else was fine I think. But those were important characters.
>>
>>64440167
only a sith deals in absolutes
>>
>>64442641
Honestly would not be surprised.

Reddit is literally a haven for Disneyfags.
>>
>>64435998
>HI KIDS WE'RE HOME EARLY - HAN SOLO
>>
>>64440737
wow its like you listened to a review that told you this or something
>>
>>64436043
Then why do people here keep saying it doesn't feel like a Star Wars movie.
>>
>>64435998
its like a copy of a new hope but none of the soul
>>
http://strawpoll.me/6444136/r
>>64444629
>>64444801
>>64445561
>>
>>64435998
no, anon. you've just spend too much time on /tv/ like me that we don't agree with the mass dissension.

this place is fucking dumb
>>
File: _Hisses_Internally_.jpg (62 KB, 500x499) Image search: [Google]
_Hisses_Internally_.jpg
62 KB, 500x499
>>64435998
People will think so in 20 years when they watch shit fest and see a series where 2 movies are nearly identical in plot and write off how shitty the series is because no series had someone retarded enough to tie a remake INTO a fucking series.

Jar jar Abrahams is the one true jar jar after all.
>>
If his designation really is TR8T0R, why did he just yell his name at Finn like he was a pokemon?
>>
They will all horseshoe right back to liking it once enough people hate it. I watched it two weeks ago and I'm going to watch it again this coming week, it isn't the best movie ever made but it's definitely a great experience.
>>
>>64445713
Yet, I keep coming back here...
>>
So OP is once again a faggot huh?
>>
>>64442800
Underrated post
>>
>>64440560
Tell that to banjoblob
>>
>>64441270
Han should have died way earlier in the series and it felt like they were just trying to get it over with in this movie
>>
>>64441424
Wow he really triggered your autism didn't he?
>>
>>64445860
It's not the official name, people just made it up as a joke
>>
>>64440560
Tell that to Kanjiklub
>>
>>64441007
>All those dislikes

I hate Star Wars fanboys.
>>
>>64440167
We wanted movies just as a good as the OT, not literally make a carbon copy. Fuck off.
>>
>>64438102
I'd rather the movie takes risks than being a focus group tested safe turdfestival that The Force Awakens was.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.