[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone watched this recently? It has been getting some real
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
File: NEPrEhK2SLH4TR_1_1.jpg (798 KB, 1200x1774) Image search: [Google]
NEPrEhK2SLH4TR_1_1.jpg
798 KB, 1200x1774
Has anyone watched this recently? It has been getting some real good reviews since it's release and is doing well for a direct-to-video indie release.
I felt it had some competently shot scenes, and the acting was good. The direction felt lacking though.
>>
>>64435341
I saw it in limited release, and I think there are a couple of reasons you don't see anyone talking about it. The first is, no one watches anything on /tv/, the second is you basically summed up everyone's feeling's about it.

One of the least divisive movies since it's generally good, not great.
>>
Had such great potential. Like some very good cast.
Kurt was awesome with awesome facial hair. Just needed a bit more about the characters .
Give a bit more time on them before they start their journey.
I mean it does turn into a bit of a gore survival horror in the end.
But still a better western than the hateful 8.

Watch tombstone with kurt russell. See how a good western is made and watch val kilmer just steal every scene with him as doc holiday
>>
>>64435437
>I saw it in limited release
At the Alamo Drafthouse?
Glad to know I am in the consensus
>>64435569
Great points. I feel like it could have been grittier, and there was a definite lack of tension that should have been added.
Some scenes from Arthurt O'Dwyer's POV as he struggles in pain, some more sweat. Maybe ditch the happy ending and make him lose his leg.
>better than the Hateful 8
I believe it.
>>
>>64435341
HOL UP

anyone else wanted to see the trog chief BONE Sam with his TOMAHAWK?
>>
>>64435729
I don't think there was a happy ending at at. It was ambiguous, especially by leaving some of the males alive and letting the pregnant females live. It's more than likely that Arthur lost the leg, and Chicury looked like he might keel over on the trek home. That's if they even make it without the reminder of the tribe hunting them down.
If everyone had died in the end it would've turned into a full retarded horror movie instead of really well made horror western with some actual deep underlying messages.
>>
>>64435729
Oh ya I agree with you. At first i was annoyed by the old guy. But started to like him after a bit.
I think even the guy from Lost, was surprisingly good.

As westerns go, it was actually a better western than the hateful 8. Plus kurt russel was used better than in hateful 8.

Its a shame the western genre has died off so much. The only other good western released lately was the salvation with mads mikkelsen.
Not amazing, had great potential, and could have been even better. But still worth a watch
>>
>>64435902
I assumed it happened anyways lol
>>
Better than the Hateful Eight
>>
It's better then Hateful 8.

But, there's not much "horror" in it. The second act takes way to long and the third and final act is too damn short.

A lot of cool backstory and build up for not a lot of payoff. It's pretty underwhelming desu.
>>
>>64435939
same here. so be carryan a trog in her belly back to Bright Hope
>>
>>64435999
The only underwhelming part of it was the Trog show. I wanted to see more of them and get a better look at their faces and neck whistles.
Other than that the rest of the story played out perfectly with a great slow burn.
>>
>>64435905
It felt too happy for me, I know that sounds shit but the "good" couple survive along with the innocent old Chicory, no harm came to the woman. I know the scenes that were filmed to be brutal were brutal, but did they align with what probably would have happened? The wife Mrs. O'Dwyer probably would have been raped, the deputy probably would have lost a limb. I think that Zahler could have taken some notes from The Road on cannibalism and bleakness.
>letting the pregnant females live
That wasn't a happy ending yes, but I don't see what you could salvage from that. Also for a "tribe" they were incredibly small. I really liked their design though.
>>64435917
>Its a shame the western genre has died off so much.
I agree totally, not just the western genre but period pieces in general. at least not Oscarbait ones
>>
File: 1446972638559.jpg (38 KB, 438x440) Image search: [Google]
1446972638559.jpg
38 KB, 438x440
>>64435341
sticking the whiskey can into the liver and burning it
what did he mean by that, lafas?
>>
best film of 2015 tbqh family
>>
File: BoneTomahawk_Still4.jpg (72 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
BoneTomahawk_Still4.jpg
72 KB, 800x534
>>64435341
He deserves at least a nomination for Supporting Actor. Anyone else think so?
>>
>>64436176
well yes ya got the oscar bait
but what good westerns have we had in the last few years that are genuinely good?

Kevin Costners Open Range , was great
Ed Harris, Appaloosa , was also good

Rewatched 3:10 to Yuma the other day with christain bale and russel crowe. Think Bale was a bad choice

I know Tommy Lee Jones has been doing his part to help the western genre. But didnt watch his newest one yet

So only bone tomahawk and the salvation, are the most recent alright westerns I can think of.
>>
PROS:
-Kurt Russel
-Doc Holiday
-Deputy Old man
-Dick split scene
-frontier life experiences

CONS:
-Cop guy from fargo playing the exact same character. Shit tier actor.
-Hanzee being in this just because cop guy was.
-Story sucked
>>
>>64437071
Why the heck not. He was an important symbol in the movie not to mention how fucking lovable he was compared to the rest of the dope characters

>Old man badass
>the classy as westerner
>the tough as fuck cowboy
>the clear headed qt.
>>
>>64437517
>GEE YOU SHOULDNT HAVE KILLED THOSE POOR MEXICANS

>LATER THAT NIGHT
>AW SHIT NIGGAS GETTING STABBED BY GREASERS
>>
>>64437427
Pleb
>>
>>64437576
What are greasers? I'm not familiar with the that term I just assumed they were Mexicans.
>>
lads what are some good westerns
>>
>>64437782
Tommy Lee Jones' "Three Burials" is pretty sweet.
>>
>>64437782
True Grit
3:10 To Yuma

Neo Western Tier
Killer Joe
No Country for Old Men
>>
>>64437817
>>64437868
already watched those

how is this 'the last of the mohicans' movie
>>
>>64437909
Watch it and tell us faggot
>>
>>64437576
Does it imply the people who attack them in the night are Mexicans?
>>
>>64435341
One of the rare movies I pirate and think I wish I had seen in the theater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ0m-8urMA4
>>
>>64437759
The main badass guy calls them geasers or greasebacks. a slang term for mexicans
>>
>>64435341
It has a b-movie feel, but a good feel to it.
>>
>>64437909
Dude, I named a bunch of em in the thread, go read it
>>
>>64438164
I dont think they mentioned it after the fact, but I think its supposed to be assumed that they are in fact the mexicans friends.
>>
>>64437172
>Kevin Costners Open Range , was great
My nigga
>>
It was okay. Solid performances all around, but it's not a very ambitious movie and the third act just felt so silly, partially because those bone tomahawks had almost lightsaber tier cutting power. When they took apart that guy was a real OH SHIT sequence though.
>>
Why did the stupid troglodyte in the beginning just not hunt down the one cutthroat instead of following him for 5+ days into a city, busting him out of jail and taking 2 other hostages.

What the fuck
>>
It definitely had an impact on me, I thought the writing and acting were very good, and the shock-value scenes definitely had their intended effect.

But honestly, at the end of the day, I thought that was the movie's weak point. The shock value is all there was to it. The whole purpose of the movie ends up just being a short series of graphic gore effects. It was well-done, but not a great movie or anything.

But considering that it's the director's first film, it's impressive and definitely worth seeing. The combination of tone & setting is great, and there's definitely a vision to it. I'd be interested in seeing his next movie for sure
>>
WHY DIDNT THEY KILL THE WOMEN
>>
Would recommend the rover for the new era of westerns. Awesome movie
>>
It's not really a film (movie, cinema or whatever meme response have you). It's more tropes and makes a certain class of audience excited at its "edginess."
>>
>>64435341
>>64435437
>>64435569
>>64435729
>>64435902
>>64435905

>western Hills have eyes
>>
>>64440902
Where was Hills set again?

OH YEAH
>>
>>64439715
more meat and breeding mare?
>>
>>64439715
horses.

They stole horses too.
>>
>>64435341
>recently

Recently? How could somebody have watched it a long time ago?
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.