[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did this just not feel like Star Wars?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 12
File: SW.jpg (775 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
SW.jpg
775 KB, 2000x1000
Seriously, I'm having an easier time accepting and viewing the prequels as Star Wars, and as canon.

Does anyone here seriously accept this as canon?
>>
its a Marvel-tier flick, a good looking manufactured product
>>
Because you're a redditor
>>
dunno it felt like star wars to me but i dont like how it rehashed the cantina without its personality,the star killer without the tension and visuals and the desert kid being a jedi without the flaws.
>>
Because the humor/dialogue was "modern"
>>
File: 27.jpg (49 KB, 341x534) Image search: [Google]
27.jpg
49 KB, 341x534
>>64431397
This guy is a massive autist weeb. But he is completely right. Worse than prequels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNAy7yCMyBw
>>
The direction, cinematography, dialogue and pacing were all too "modern blockbuster"

Star Wars was slow and Shakespearean, more of a play than an action movie at times

A New Hope had incredible pacing, though, and moved quite quickly. And ROTS was fast paced too I guess
>>
File: whyyyyyyyyyyy.png (2 MB, 1472x1332) Image search: [Google]
whyyyyyyyyyyy.png
2 MB, 1472x1332
>>64431397

because J.J. doesn't understand star wars. They just basically said "well Abrams is a nerd director and Star Wars is a nerd movie so it should work right?"

Instead we get a Marvel movie with a Star Wars coat of paint. Literally the only things this movie did right was casting Oscar Isaac and the creature designs.
>>
>>64431397

It's a fanflick
>>
Because it's a Marvel flick that just happens to be about Star Wars
>>
>>64434198
I was half expecting Ironman to show up at some point. Watch them put Asgard in the last film and tie the universes together.
>>
>Finally..Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens on IMAX 3D
Fucking seriously?
>>
>>64431397

It didn't have anything that made it stand out. It's entirely forgettable. Only thing people will take from this movie is TR-8R meme and it's already dying out
>>
>>64431397
Yes, it was good and it is cannon. It ur a faggot
>>
>>64434168

The only fancannon is you believing its not cannon.
>>
>>64434333
I don't know what kind of mental gymnastics you have to do to believe something like that. Lmao
>>
>>64434492

Go ahead. Ask your friends about their favorite scene from the movie. They likely will even struggle to remember the thing
>>
>>64434492
Look at your normiebook feed. Notice how little people are talking about it even after seeing it. People will post "Seeing Star Wars tonight! So excited! LOL I'm such a nerd XD" then say nothing afterward
>>
because jj is hack
>>
>>64434547
Implying I have friends, but if I did they would probably say when Kylo stopped the laser in mid air.
>>
>>64434587

I don't have Facebook.
>>
>>64431430
This. It wasn't done to world build, explore, etc, but "for the fans". Where " fans" in this case really means "general public of retards".

Disney had to get a higher return on their investment so that's exactly what they did. And that's why it stinks & feels more like a Marvel type movie than real Star Wars. It's throwaway cinema that you'll likely never want to watch ever again.

I mean, for all the faults of the prequels, it still felt like SW & that I actually watched something after they were over. TFA didn't give me that feeling, even though it was less retarded.
>>
>>64434694
Well because you're a basement dwelling failure let me explain it to you. Pretty much when people talk about Star Wars on Facebook its almost always them talking about it before they go but they hardly say anything about it after seeing it. Seeing Star Wars is a way to get nerd points and likes, doesnt matter if you actually remember anything from it
>>
>>64433272

this is good
>>
>>64434880
Just because they're not sperglords about somthing they like, like you, doesn't mean they didn't like it.

Also, I don't like things because other people do, are like 13 or something...
>>
From a mechanical perspective I feel like there were the inclusions of a lot of JJ type shots like the quick camera pans and zooms that really changed some of the feel of some of the scenes

also in their effort to not include as much CG, i feel like a lot of the broader scene setting establishment shots were not there, leading to a much more empty feeling movie/world. For better or worse, Lucas put a lot of thought into the backgrounds and settings and made sure to show them off in some way so you understood the environment
>>
>>64434653
Oh yeah, he did do that didn't he... Forgot about that, all I could remember is him being overpowered by Rey.
>>
>>64434587
They're protecting people from the spoilers.
>>
>>64431430
>manufactured product
So a movie?
>>
File: 1404302208357.jpg (73 KB, 733x960) Image search: [Google]
1404302208357.jpg
73 KB, 733x960
>>64433562
>Star Wars was slow and Shakespearean

>terrible directing and acting have warped star wars fans into thinking that films with proper direction are "doing it wrong"
>>
That's because you're autistic, only reddit cares about the prequels and that's because that place is infested by wookiepedia fags.
>>
>>64434763
You what's crazy? Before they even began to work on the script, Kathleen Kennedy invited Michael Arndt and JJ Abrams to write down "how do you capture the Star Wars feeling."

It's amazing that they completely fucked it up and turned it into yet another generic quick pace action movie schlock. Guaranteed to make $$$, but it doesn't make it a Star Wars movie.
>>
>>64437177
>generic action movie schlock

>something invented by Star Wars: A New Hope
>>
>TFA not feeling like Star Wars
>prequels feeling like Star Wars
This is a stupid meme and needs to die. Violently, slowly and excruciatingly.
>>
File: 1451850517710.jpg (107 KB, 1472x791) Image search: [Google]
1451850517710.jpg
107 KB, 1472x791
>>64431397
NeoGAF users do.

Pic related, worst scen ein the movie.
>>
>>64431397
The over-saturated colour-palette and the more humane, heartfelt characterisation.
>>
File: awkward gay shit acting.gif (2 MB, 500x220) Image search: [Google]
awkward gay shit acting.gif
2 MB, 500x220
>>64433847
Poe actor? This guy is fucking terrible. Probably the worst actor on set.
>>
>>64437248
Reddit, you should know that Star Wars isn't some random movie off the street. It changed Hollywood, whereas you can't separate TFA from any other JJ Abrams movies because they're all the same.
>>
Did TFA even have the horizontal screen wipe transitions?
>>
>>64437354
>Overly emotional mouth movement to spit out words. A normal Human response.
>Seen as gay in the internet and tumblr world
One day they will leave the basement and talk to a real Human.
>>
>>64437396
No it didn't., jar jar Abraham really mucked it up.
>>
>>64437396
I noticed a few but they were as quick as the scene-to-scene pacing.
>>
>>64437410
Why would someone waste energy with a gesture when they can just type "mfw yfw survived"?
>>
>>64433847
Holy fuck, this so much. Fuck these filters every production uses nowadays, the colours were all fucked up. I don't why people think saturated shit like this looks good. This was also the reason mad max looked like shit, that orange and blue filter needs to go.
>>
>>64437396

Yeah, it had plenty.
>>
>>64433272
This video needs a wider audience
>>64436986
>>
>>64433847
>>64437354
How do I get my hair like Based Oscar "Based "Oscar Based Isaac"" Isaac? I have curly hair too
>>
>>64437620
>orange and blue filter
>>
how does disney save star wars then?
>>
Canon isn't about what you accept. You don't have to accept it as a good movie, or believe it to be a good continuation. As far as I'm concerned we didn't even need (and shouldn't have gotten) these sequel movies or the prequels for that matter. Both are canon, though. That's just the way it goes.

That said, the movie's pacing and the flimsy gestural plot-line probably made it feel less like Star Wars for you. I know it did for me. But it felt closer to the originals than the prequels did.
>>
>>64437041
He's right, though. The original trilogy was filled with a lot more slow moments than TFA. Even A New Hope, comparatively.
>>
File: haha.jpg (63 KB, 678x597) Image search: [Google]
haha.jpg
63 KB, 678x597
>>64433562
>>
>>64438985
>lesson in stillness
More like lesson in going ultra fucking fast
>>
>>64431397
Pacing, dialogue, plotting are set up to maximize discrete 'moments' that can be shared and discussed on social media rather than continuous story.
>>
>>64437354
If you have to put him in slow motion to make him look weird he isn't bad
>>
Felt like Star wars to me. Why is everything in this film so memorable if it was so bad. When Utron came out, no one talked about it because no one could even remember what happened.
>>
>>64439259
Cinematic cola.
>>
Unfortunately, it is canon whether you accept it or not, so you might as well accept it.

But yeah, OP, I know exactly what you mean. I'm tempted to just say fuck it all and sprint back to Legends, let the Canon universe run away on its own.
>>
>>64439259
>TFA
>Memorable
I honestly forgot about what happened in TFA. I'm only reminded when /tv/ constantly shitposts about it.
>>
File: image.jpg (154 KB, 531x842) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
154 KB, 531x842
http://youtu.be/gPSPEddcPVs
>>
>>64432548
How was the Starkiller not tense?

How did the original desert kid jedi have any flaws whatsoever?
>>
>>64439474
>How did the original desert kid jedi have any flaws whatsoever?

He was a whiny loser, have you ever seen Star Wars?
>>
damn y'all niggas a bunch of contrarian faggots
>>
File: EP7_IA_105362_R-2.jpg (3 MB, 5760x3193) Image search: [Google]
EP7_IA_105362_R-2.jpg
3 MB, 5760x3193
>>64437620
I'm sorry you wanted real colors?
>>
>>64431397
Because the script is a copy of A New Hope, it comes off more as a fan film than a true continuation of the series.
>>
>>64439595
well fuck you now it's cyan
>>
>>64433847
J.J.Abrams doesn't understand Star Wars? He understands it better than you..
>>
>>64432580
It was modern in the original Star Wars as well.
>>
>>64431397

The original Star Wars had no hope of selling while this one was made solely to sell, that's why it doesn't feel like a Star Wars movie at all. Everything just feels bland and generic and lacking the charm and spirit which A New Hope had.
>>
>>64439993
Not if he slathers everything is fucking orange and teal.
>>
File: image1.jpg (121 KB, 960x430) Image search: [Google]
image1.jpg
121 KB, 960x430
I can literally just rewrite the movie right now to make it infinitely better

>After Rey and Finn leave Jakku we see Poe Waking up at night
>he wanders the desert till he finds constable Zuvio's (pic related guy who was cut from the movie) office/ Niima outpost militia HQ.
>He tries to charter a ship off-planet to return to the rebel base
>the militia HQ is filled with junk, it gets its income from shipping junk offworld to sell
>Zuvio says that the junk piled up is all the stuff they haven't been able to sell.
>Poe spots Luke's lightsaber (he doesn't know that it's Luke's he just recognizes it as a lightsaber due to seeing Kylo Ren's) in one the piles and asks if he can take it.
>Poe lies and says it's ship part that he can use, Zuvio lets him have it because he doesn't know what it is and assumes its useless.
>Poe is eventually able to get a ship offworld and head back to the resistance base

back to the main characters

>they never meet Han Solo, they simply head directly to the rebel base
>being too low on fuel they are forced to stop on a nearby world, leading them to Maz's place except Maz doesn't exist
>then the attack on the place begins and Rey is kidnapped

>back at the rebel base Finn meets with Poe.
>R2-D2 isn't in a plot coma
>Leia tells them about Kylo Ren being her son and his history
>starkiller base doesn't exist. It's just a normal base.
>Finn and Poe go against Leia's orders and mount a covert rescue mission (Poe is doing it to repay Finn for bringing back BB8 safely.)
>Rey is unsuccessful in mind tricking the storm trooper and then Poe and Finn rescue her and they escape.
>Poe brought the lightsaber with him. Rey tells him about being force-sensitive and he gives it to her.
>They escape only to be confronted by Kylo Ren in the woods
>Poe is able to catch him by surprise with a blaster, weakening him
>Then the rest plays out like it did in the movie only with the whole luke/rey scene being way less awkward.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.