[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just got back from seeing this. 7/10 >Godawful writing. Literally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 243
Thread images: 13
Just got back from seeing this. 7/10

>Godawful writing. Literally Marvel tier
>Rey WAS a Mary Sue
>Boyega was actually really good
>Adam Driver was a fucking pussy and was shit
>Po the pilot was fucking shit tier, ruined the first scene of the movie with his stupid jokes
>Decent fx on everything but the planet destruction, lightsabers, Snoke and Maz
>Harrison Ford didn't phone it in, wasn't bad
>Carrie Fisher looks like fucking shoe leather
>Snoke is a stupid name and making him huge doesn't make him any more threatening, should've just made him Sheev-sized

Anything I missed?
>>
nope.
>>
nice blog
>>
>>64418841
Leia ignoring Chewie and going straight to hugging poor tragic Rey for her loss in Han.
>>
is this the nice blog thread?

5/10 cinematography (I feel like JJ occasionally told his DP "I want a proper cinematic shot in here" for certain moments and then reverted to his stupid TV-director style for the rest of the movie)
9/10 music, great as usual for Williams but not really introducing any new memorable themes beyond Rey's and Kylo Ren's motifs
3/10 pacing and editing. the entire rathtar sequence was unnecessary and the frenetic pace made the Maz scenes jarringly slow in comparison.
3/10 characters. Kylo Ren mildly interesting but not very threatening. Phasma is a joke. Finn is serviceable comic relief but an entirely illogical character (trained from birth to kill, refuses to execute civilians but happily whoops while blasting away his former comrades and acts very unprofessional for a trooper who was top during training). Enough has already been said about Rey.
4/10 action. Fight choreography passable, not as static as OT or over-the-top as PT, but doesn't really have any standout moments. At least the PT could be impressive sometimes. Shootouts are crap but this is no tal for Star Wars. Flying scenes are very unimpressive. The entire "trench run" at the end is boring and unexciting. the climax of the action pretty much occurs near the beginning when Rey flips the Falcon to let Finn fire a killshot with the broken turret.
Effects/Set design 8/10: return to form for the most part, except the CGI rathtars. These are shit. the starship graveyard in Jakku is very impressive, everything else is strikingly unoriginal but still serviceable.
Script 4/10 could be funny at times - Han and Finn had some good lines. Cringy at other times, like Poe trying to quip to Kylo. No real sense of tension or emotion, Han's death wasn't sad at all. Occasionally ass pulls like R2D2 randomly waking up, and other questionable moments like Phasma happily lowering the shields, Finn not being eaten instantly, etc

Overall 5/10
>>
Nice memes bro, but they're getting old at this point. Try new ones.
>>
>>64418996
That's one thing I forgot: Finn has no motivation. Why the fuck does he all of a sudden decide killing is bad literally out of fucking nowhere.
>>
>>64419062
Just wipe a little blood on the helmet and there you go.
>>
>>64419062
Does he even decide killing is bad? Hard to tell when he's whooping and going "DID YOU SEE THAT" after blowing up people that grew up with him.
>>
>>64418841

i agree, it was pretty shitty marvel tier. all the stupid plotholes pissed me off the most, for example the fact that they sent Finn to the planet to disable the shields but they didnt even ask him how he would plan to do that?
ya right

and i mean, just in general the stupidity of the plot. they expect to infiltrate an entire PLANET of hostile forces and disable an entire PLANET-WIDE shield? yeah im sure it's just a single button you have to press... for fucks sake.
>>
>>64419118
Lmao that's it too, he fucking revels in killing all of his friends. Everyone does, the fucking stormtroopers are the only ones who seem to find no joy in killing people.
>>
>>64419062
It was his first battle.
Were you even paying attention?
>>
>>64419157
good points

why bother making a new death star "planet" if you're not even going to make use of its scale...you know, the fact that it's a planet. it still felt like we were stuck on the death star in 1977
>>
>>64418841
Kylo ren is a bitch. He and I both hate him because he isnt darth vader
>>
>>64419224
Oh yeah that makes it totally cool, no one else has a problem with it, just this one pussy who minutes later has no problem slaughtering the people he grew up with.
>>
>>64419062
>>64419118
>>64419158
This shit made me hate finn immediately and they even make a point to say he had no prior history of disobedience. He just happened to see civvies get killed on his first day and that's it, he didn't even shoot them or anyone for that matter. He was trained since childhood to do this as everyone around him was, so why him?

There was no reason for him to be a storm trooper. He could have been part of some occupied force, at least then it would make sense that he had a personality unlike every other stormtrooper. It would give him motivations against the order and make him much more human and a better protagonist the viewers empathise with. Meanwhile rey is devoid of wonder or confusion and develops only by levelling up her force powers, so her role as a protagonist is weak at best.

There's a reason why people like kylo despite him being elliot rodger in space, he's the only one with a real character arc and believable emotions and motivations.
>>
>>64419346
The people who were indoctrinated to and okay with murdering begging defenseless civilians? He was apart of a massively violent cult, and when they finally said "here's your gun shoot some kids" the programming snapped.

Then when Phasma learned of it she said she sent him to be reprogrammed, so it sounds like an issue they regularly have
>>
>>64418996
>reverted to his stupid TV-director style for the rest of the movie

Thanks anon. I was trying to pinpoint what exactly didn't feel right and that was it. It felt like something I'd watch at home on the couch while napping.
>>
>>64419157
The planet makes no sense in general. So it fires out of a giant hole in the ground? Do they have to wait years until it rotates to face the system they want to destroy? If they can rotate it themselves then why can't they move it?
>>
>>64419062
>Finn has no motivation.
Kylo Ren also has no motivation he is just some edgy kid with mom issues
Rey just comes along because why not?
Poe is a hot latino homosexual so he has nothing to lose.
>>
>tfw dont even care about the movie
>just want to see the entirety of the fight scene between that badass storm trooper and the nigger
Life is hard /tv/
>>
>>64419438
>people like kylo
nice meme
>>
>>64419118
>Star Wars: The Force Awakens
>The Force Awakens
>The Force
>The
>Force
>Awakens
>>
>>64418841
>all these bad points
>7/10
Leave it to professionals
>>
>>64419308
Schizophrenic detected
>>
>>64420289
Eh I was just being nice
>>
Well i will be damned if Disney doesn't know how to make a safe movie.I don't care about any of the characters(kylo ren is the least compelling character i have seen, that fact that they blew their creative wad with the patricide, and I Still am apathetic to the characters is fuckin hilarious) , and the movies are not logical consistent. so all and all about what i expected
6/10
>>
>>64418996
>5/10 cinematography (I feel like JJ occasionally told his DP "I want a proper cinematic shot in here" for certain moments and then reverted to his stupid TV-director style for the rest of the movie)
Such bullshit. This is true of Whedon, but JJ is an utterly cinematic director. The low angle shots of Kylo Ren were fucking great.
>>
>>64418841
>>Adam Driver was a fucking pussy and was shit
He was literally the best part of the movie you fucking pleb

>and making him huge
That was a hologram. Real Snoke is probably normal height.
>>
>>64419346
Finn was probably bullied a lot by other Stormtroopers a lot when growing up.

Also, there's the fact that the First Order are pretty much nazis, and there's nothing wrong with killing nazis.
>>
>>64419438
His brainwashing was defective. That's it. There doesn't need to be a deep explanation. Wtf do you want it to be revealed that his grandfather was the space pope or some shit and that's why he hates killing?
>>
stream where?
>>
>>64418902
Yeah I didn't fucking get this
>>
>>64420138
I do not have web but it is probably the best part of the movie. Someone should have it here though.
>>
>>64421432
Worse, Leia had never even met Rey prior to this.
>>
the Jakku scenes were incredible and worth watching on IMAX

probably the only good memorable thing about this movie
>>
>>64418841
Agree on everything. Exactly my feelings few fays after.
I'll just add
>copy/paste of the precedent films
>no memorable music, SW theme isn't there anymore, no idea why (well i know it is there, but its downplayed you know waht i mean..)

I don't understand how anyone can like it. SW fans cannot possibly like it. Only capeshit lovers must be hyped right now
>>
>>64421491
Oh i forgot : 3D adds nothing, useless gadget, almost detrimental to immersion more than not
>>
>>64421461
Leia sensed her pain and comforted her. Chewie seems like the type who would want to deal with loss on his own. That's my head canon, family.
>>
>rens's scars match snoke now

so is snoke just kylo ren from the future? Did I figure it out?
>>
>>64418841
>I also gave it 7/10
>I agree the writing was Marvel Tier
>Rey was not a Mary Sue
>Boyega performed his bad lines well
>Adam Driver was a fucking pussy but I did not find him to be shit
>Poe's actor was terrible
>I agree with your FX issues but thought the lightsabers were fine.
>I agree that Harrison Ford was good
>I thought Carrie Fisher was fine
>I agree that Snoke is a stupid name, I'm not convinced he's actually that huge though. We've seen tiny holograms of regular-sized people and massive holograms of regular-sized people.

Also would just add that it's a well-done, lazy love-letter that to the original that lacks any sort of creative vision but succeeds in doing what it set out to do.
>>
>>64421522
that was pathetic, are you thirteen?
>>
>>64421369
Yeah I know he wasn't really that big dumbass, it still doesn't make it any less stupid to have his hologram be fucking massive. It looks like he was trying to be whatshisface from Guardians of the Galaxy, it looks fucking dumb.

And did you really think watching the main villain weep for 5 minutes was the best part of the movie?
>>
>>64421523
>VIII directed by the guy who did Looper

Oh fuck
>>
Hux was the best character.
>>
>>64421351
>lens flare
>ridiculous color gradients
>needless panning or camera movement
>awkward angles

Yup real cinematic
>>
>>64421461
Leia is obviously her aunt.
>>
>he thinks Snoke is huge because his hologram was huge

Do you think that the actors are actually 20 feet tall when you watch an IMAX movie?

Fucking idiot.
>>
>>64421609
And Poe her brother, obviously.
>>
>>64421553
>it still doesn't make it any less stupid to have his hologram be fucking massive.
He did that to intimidate and lord over Kylo and Hux. There's a mildly clever story reason for it; it isn't just there to look cool.
>>
File: 1451606887583.jpg (84 KB, 651x641) Image search: [Google]
1451606887583.jpg
84 KB, 651x641
>>64418841
>Godawful writing. Literally Marvel tier
I wouldn't go as far as saying it was marvel tier autistic but it was pretty bad by any standards
>Rey WAS a Mary Sue
Yup. I think the biggest problem with the movie was sketchy main characters as a whole. Terrible disney-tier unlikeable crew. Everything else was either good or completely forgivable
>>
>>64421649
I'm just saying I remember Sheev being pretty threatening in Empire and Lucas didn't need to make him 90 feet tall to do so. I guess I at least appreciate JJ did something new but I feel he should have been written to be threatening rather than just have him be real big.
>>
>>64418841
>I didn't like this movie
>7/10

Has IMDB suddenly become self aware?
>>
>>64418841
Till now, I still don't get how Poe escaped from Jakku back to wherever he was.

It felt like the writers didn't want to kill him off just yet so they deliberately interrupted Poe's supposed explanation of how he got back to Finn.

Phasma lowering the shields was also pretty dumb, second only to the rapid repetition of kanjiclub.
>>
the biggest problem with this movie is that there is no proper explanation of how the First Order came to be or why everything went to shit because of Luke, everyone was trying to do witty banter with their quips

the closest thing to an exposition was with Maz and Snoke explaining the Force and Rey's visions
>>
>>64421606
>awkward angles
The only dutch angles were when Kylo Ren was on screen, and that was done to give us a sense of unease. The same way that shooting Kylo Ren at a low angle suggests dominance, and shooting the First Order with more modern lenses suggests technological advancement. There's a visual language to the film that actually takes the story into consideration. This looked more like a film than any Marvel movie to date.
>>
>Disney Movie
>No Singalong song.
>>
I hate it, lost 2 hours of my life
>9/10
>>
>>64421703
He wasn't made big in order to appear threatening to the audience, he was made big in order to appear threatening to the characters in the film itself. These are two different things.
>>
>beat-for-beat copy and paste of ANH
>constant pandering and fan service
>uninspired direction and cinematography
>completely underwhelming score
>lack of world building (after Jakku)
>terrible pacing (after Jakku)
>holes in writing and characterisations

4/10
>>
>>64421869
>>uninspired direction and cinematography
Pleb. The other critiques are right though
>>
>>64421703
>I remember Sheev being pretty threatening in Empire and Lucas didn't need to make him 90 feet tall to do so
>>
>>64421923
absolutely wrecked
>>
Literally the only thing that made The First Order feel intimidating was it's turbo-deathstar and it's impact was significantly cheapened by the fact that it was just the fucking Deathstar again, obviously, and it's demonstrated in the same stupid way, and everything about it is the same and it's stupid. All of the characters from the First Order are worthless non-threatening garbage. The First Order feels like a big shitty barely-competent joke.

Missed a lot of the goofy charm from the OT. BB-8 shenanigans were about the closest it got. Some stuff with Han and Chewie, too, but too much of the Han/Chewie stuff obviously was just included to let retards jerk themselves off over how many obvious fucking references they could catch ("LOL, the Kessel run! Parsecs! I remember that! I'm such a Star Wars nerd!")

It felt like a lot of thing were included with a similar mentality, like the movie spent so much time trying to show everyone how Star-Wars-y it was that it forgot to just actually be Star Wars. I feel like a focus group made almost every part of this movie what it is. And nothing will change for the next movies because TFA made like a billion fucking dollars.

Everyone has already criticized everything else well enough.
>>
File: 1423868509730.jpg (20 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
1423868509730.jpg
20 KB, 306x306
>oh no, the ground separates JUST BETWEEN the two characters after one was winning the fight so he can't end it

Everytime. When will they stop doing this
>>
>>64422077
Can you name another film/tv show/game where this happened

I'm not saying you're wrong, I have definitely seen it before

Only one I can remember might be the music video for Californication by Red Hot Chili Peppers
>>
>>64421896
Abrams didn't do anything interesting visually after Jakku.

The characters spend plenty of time outside but he completely abandons those famous Lean/Kurosawa inspired wide angles that played a big part in making Star Wars special. It was like he filled a quota for all cinematic shots on Jakku and then stopped.

The direction after that was reflective of what the movie became: a frenetic, boxey action movie.
>>
>>64422379
There is probably even a tvtropes entry for it. Those faggots always find a retarded meme name for it
>>
>>64422379
Can you name another film/tv show game where they say the word "death" ?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I have definitely heard it before
>>
>>64421409
A character fitting with its role and backstory would be good for a start. Not relying on a happenstance for a character to base its entire new life and willingness to kill around would be good after that. Having absolutely any character development or emotional ambiguity would be best.
>>
>>64421553
At least Kylo has an actual character and arc, he's meant to be a bratty Vader wannabe who's going to grow more powerful and mature.
Is really so difficult to understand?
>>
>>64422412
THANK YOU. I was trying to figure out why everything after Jakku felt so shitty in terms of visuals.

Hell, that moment when Rey is emerging from the Star Destroyer might be the peak of the film cinematographically. And it occurs 10 minutes in.
>>
File: 1424114757578.png (249 KB, 250x238) Image search: [Google]
1424114757578.png
249 KB, 250x238
>mental fight
>they make weird fighting faces without moving
>one character puts his extended arm with open hand over the head of the other character

waiting the scene to finish so we can all finally move on from this shit
>>
>>64422464
Never reply to me again unless you have something constructive to say you little faggot

This is the worst post I've ever seen on this shitty board
>>
>>64422412
See>>64421744
Good cinematography isn't just epic vistas and wide angle shots. It's less showy, but Kylo Ren in the jungle near Maz's palace is better shot than anything on Jakku.
>>
>>64422499
Turning Finn into a one-note Comedy Side Nigger was such a contradiction of his character's background and motivations and was below what Boyega is capable of. If there was one character that made sense to be stoic and jaded, it's Finn. They could have even derived natural humour from a clash of ideals and knowledge between Finn and everyone else; there was an opportunity to make him a fish-out-of-water type.

Which makes far more sense than his moral conundrum suddenly ending and having him quip and whoop his way through the movie.
>>
>>64422549
How on earth do you pronounce cinematographically

If you start it with the same pronunciation add cinematography the end sounds awkward and if you end it with "graphically" it sounds really bad
>>
>>64422549
There's a bit where she slides down a hill on Jakku that looked really good.
>>
>>64418841
Yes.
Giving 7/10 even after such a review
What scored the 7?
>>
>>64422692
Sin-Ni-Meh-Toh-Graf-Fi-Klee
>>
>>64422679
The bit where Ren resists the mind control and starts to read Kylo's mind is exactly what happened between Harry and Snape in one of the Harry Potter movies, and I'm sure it's happened in Doctor Who before
>>
>>64422742
>meh
Surely you mean muh
Either way, damn that's an ugly sounding word
There's just too much going on
>>
>>64422771
it's ok, after 8th grade you'll be able to read, maybe.
>>
>>64422674
Pray explain how Jakku was poorer shot than the completely forgettable cinematography in the jungle.

Battlefield Earth also used Dutch angles to invoke menace. Doesn't mean it had good cinematography by any stretch of the imagination.
>>
I'd have gone with 6.

>awful writing
>awful pacing
>meh characters
>acted well enough and Boyega/flying guy had good comedic timing
>BB8 was a worthy addition
>reintroduction of old characters seemed forced
>invincible flying guy who can take on the whole empire by itself
>shitty renaming
>literally the third time we've seen a death star blown up
>some really fantastic visuals, but also some pretty naff sets

Even the scene when they meet Han and Chewie and escape from the bounty hunters or whatever seemed really... JJ? As if it didn't fit with Star Wars at all, but would not be out of place in his new Star Trek movies.

There just wasn't much 'epic' about it. It didn't have much atmosphere, but rather felt forced and sterile.
>>
I wonder how /tv/ would react if they got Lubezki or another meme cinematographer for IX or one of the anthology films.
>>
>>64421744
I think you're giving Abrams way too much credit. Dutch angles and low angles for villains is entry level and techniques you find in any summer blockbuster.

Abrams has never been a visionary and once they left the desert landscapes, it showed. All sense of style, and world building, seemed to get sacrificed for the relentless pacing.
>>
>>64422499
The story is Finn's story. Rey has a past, friends enemies, acquaintances that we don't know about, but Finn doesn't exist before the start of the film. Him landing on the planet is him waking up, realising that he is more than his serial number and attempting to overcome it. Finn could have been any stormtrooper, it just so happened that he was put in to a position to be surrounded by a group of people that made his escape possible. No doubt its a common issue faced by the First Order, but most of the time they wouldn't get off base, and if they do they wouldn't get far. It's happenstance sure, but all underdog comes good plots are a series of unlikely events, Finn's awakening is no less likely than Rey being the one to find the droid, or even being on that particular planet at alkl (provided she isn't Leia's daughter being secretly observed by people Luke trusts)
>>
>>64421996
The only thing here I agree with is the fan service. Abrams really needs to get that shit under control. Also it;'s be nice if he stopped baying up every action sequence
>>
>>64418841
Han Solo and Phasma both wind up in the garbage shoot, both survive and will return next movie.
>>
>>64418841

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGtLj5IzMCU
>>
>>64422805
Jakku tried to evoke stuff like Lawrence of Arabia and A New Hope, which made it seem more like a pastiche than a film with a directorial stamp (which 09 Star Trek had). The shot of the tie-fighters against a setting sun is a direct rip from Apocalypse Now. At least the jungle did some interesting things visually, with sun beams coming through the mist, the low angles, and the unease of seeing the darkly dressed Kylo Ren set against the backdrop of a brightly lit jungle. It was just really unsettling and memorable to me.
>>
>>64420266
this. Finn and Reys characters make a lot more sense if you just tell yourself the movie title.

>THE FORCE
>AWAKENS

Heres some shooting in the dark predictions.

>Rey is Lukes daughter
>The force is so fucking strong in her that Qui gon jin felt it in Anakin over 40 years before she was born
>Rey is the chosen one
>Everything in the past 6 movies was leading up to her
>She will gain a similar ability to Ang's in Avatar
>She will have the ability to neutralize the force in people
>She will strip the sith lords of their force powers
>Galaxy is saved, bad guys go to prison
>>
>>64423002
>Feminist order is restored in the galaxy
>>
File: 1451023004089.png (1021 KB, 1115x1380) Image search: [Google]
1451023004089.png
1021 KB, 1115x1380
>>64418841
Honestly it's not even fucking funny; ITS A FUCKING TRAVESTY PEOPLE THAT THE JEW JEW ABRHAMS AND DISNEY are fucking with the Legacy and epic saga of Star Wars you all scolded George before this and know.

My young grasshoppers you have seen the truth. Make Reconciliation with the Prequels and the OT.

These films are masterpieces compared to the Farce Awakens.

We must get the word out to people that these new movies must take heed to the old profound majesty and honor of the previous movies. Disney and Jew Jew Binks had this in mind to create a safe movie that was a HACK rehash and an offense to anyone of intelligence honestly. Disappointed

Here's a good review i found on the movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mCQ5OLyc7g
>>
>>64423002
So the shit writing will be fixed in the sequels.

Thanks.
>>
Did this movie have an intermission since it's over 2 hours?
>>
>>64422825
JJ Abrams is the most underrated director in his class. I honestly don't get why the internet has such a bugbear against him.

>Dutch angles and low angles for villains is entry level and techniques you find in any summer blockbuster.
The intercut shots of Kylo Ren moving through base with his face in full frame while the camera is practically under him isn't the sort of editing and angle you'd get from his direct competitors Whedon and Bay. There are a number of interesting creative visual choices made.
>>
>>64423060
>So the shit writing will be fixed in the sequels.
It's called set up
>>
>>64423060
Yea, thats unfortunately new movie meta for trilogies, you have to look at them as a whole before you can cast your entire judgement of what happens.

My only 2 actual complaints about the movie was that it felt rushed, and Rey didn't have any problems fighting Kylo on a planet made of snow. She has spent her entire life in the desert and was wow'd when she got to the forest planet, I don't think she'd have been so nimble on snow for the first time in her entire life.
>>
>>64423066
>direct competitors Whedon and Bay

I don't think these are the sort of standards we should be holding the film that's supposed to revive Star Wars to.
>>
>>64418841
>7/10 after all that
Plebian tier

Driver being vulnerable was a major plot point and a lot of people find it an interesting twist. We don't really need Vader or Maul 2.0 as well.

I do think Ford blew everyone away without even trying.
>>
>>64423150
You're not going to get an auteur to direct the sequel to Star Wars, especially after the terrible prequels. You're going to get a big summer blockbuster director, and of those JJ is among the best.
>>
>>64418841
>godawful writing
nope
>rey was a mary sue
and you're a faggot, but i'm sure people still like you
>boyega was gud
yep
>kylo ren was shit
nope
>poe is dum
nope

>anything i missed?
you forgot to link to the rest of your blog
>>
>>64423081
It's called lazy, manipulative writing.

When watching a movie, the fewest times we have to ask ourselves "how does this character know this?" or "how did this character manage that?", the better the execution of that character.

It's symptomatic of current movie/audience culture that for some reason it's ok for movies to no longer be complete stories in their own right. People turn up to cinemas these days to watch "Part 1" of movies which really only amount to trailers for sequels.

Cliff hangers are fine. Character expansion is fine. Gaping characterisation holes are not. People have genuinely posted here that they'll wait two years to see if the characters in THIS movie were done well. That's moronic.

In ANH, we don't find out that Vader is Luke's father or Leia is his sister but within ten minutes of meeting Obi Wan, we know that Luke is force sensitive. We find out he's the son of Anakin. Later on we find out he's a good pilot and a better shot. Everything to explain Luke's abilities is in ANH. Rey is being written backwards.
>>
>>64423245
>JJ is among the best
JJ is garbage, fuck off. Every single one of his movies has been forgettable trash, even by summer blockbuster standards.
>>
>>64423245
They could have had Fincher. He told them to fuck off when he read their working script.
>>
>>64423271
Why do disney feel a need to shill their movie this hard?
Everyone who's not a complete mouthbreather knows it was a mediocre movie at best.
>>
>>64423271
>and you're a faggot, but i'm sure people still like you

Getting this mad over a poorly written character.
>>
>>64423359
The sad part is that it could have easily been foreshadowed. The force vision could have told a lot more information. It's obvious though that they haven't written the plot for 8 and 9 and just left room for vague explanations. ANH was made to be standalone so it wasn't written like a "part 1.." Heck, even TPM had closure and didn't leave you wondering...Lucas had it planned out.
>>
>>64423245
They could have gotten Tarsem Singh. I feel that if he had a good script his visual touch could work wonders.
>>
When Leia turned to Rey and said "may the force be with you" I nearly cringed into oblivion
>>
>>64423473
Just using OP's logic
>>
>>64423513
>cringed
why
there was nothing odd about saying that to Rey
>>
Everything good in the film happened on Jakku.

>the beautifully framed, shot and lighted shots of Rey in the ship and then descending the slope, dwarfed by the size and magnificence of the wreckage
>the lovely rendition of Rey's theme that brings to mind a sense of wonder and tenacity - aspects that unfortunately were not brought across in the film itself
>that contemplative moment where Rey puts on a pilot helmet and stares off into the horizon while eating, letting her imagination claim her - pretty much the only hint of a real personality she might have in the film

Then the movie goes to shit.
>>
>>64423359
Written backwards is a great way of putting it. As a standalone movie TFA fucking sucks.
>>
>>64423433
Don't blame him in the least
>>
>>64423245
>auteur
laughinggeorge.jpg
>>
>>64423591
The soft, beautiful and longing sound the song has while Rey is sliding down the little dune to her speeder and while she's riding into the outpost is the only track I really remember from the new movie. It's nice.
>>
>>64423513
Did that really happen? I can't remember.

If you ever wanted a definitive example of Abrams desperately trying to artificially force character relationships, it's that awful hug between Rey and Leia at the end. Leia was intrinsically linked with Chewbacca through Han. They've both just lost the person they love. It would have made sense for them to embrace; it would have actually carried some emotional weight.

Instead she hugs a girl she's never met before because JJ really wanted to bridge the old and the new and this was the best way he could come up with doing it. There was no difference between this scene and Lucas' love story location shots of Anakin and Padme.

And it doesn't matter who you think Rey may or may not be in your own projections to make the movie better, it doesn't make that scene any more appropriate.
>>
>>64423591
>that contemplative moment where Rey puts on a pilot helmet and stares off into the horizon while eating, letting her imagination claim her - pretty much the only hint of a real personality she might have in the film

This was great. Almost felt like it belonged in a different movie, in fact. The pace and tone was completely off given the rest of the film.
>>
>>64418841
>Anything I missed?
It was just A New Hope.
>>
>>64423419
09 Star Trek is the best Star Wars film since Empire
>>
>>64423433
Bullshit. The script wasn't being written until JJ already chose to direct the film.
>>
>>64423591
The character of Rey desperately needed more offbeat moments like putting on the helmet. There was like two other moments where she has a kind of wide eyed wonderment and that's when the character's at her best. It's relatable and endearing. The rest is not.
>>
>>64423591
I would have watched an entire film just based off a scavenger on Jakku doing scavenger stuff while dreaming of a better life out there.
>>
>>64423943
You're wrong. Fincher had no interest in their ideas and decided not to do it. The script was far from fleshed out but Kennedy already had broad strokes ideas about plot points and what the movie would be.

>"It's tricky. My favourite is The Empire Strikes Back. If I said, 'I want to do something more like that,' then I'm sure the people paying for it would be like, 'No! You can't do that! We want it like the other one with all the creatures!'"
--Fincher
>>
>>64424079
>'I want to do something more like that,' then I'm sure the people paying for it would be like, 'No!
So they'd refuse to make a movie that's similar to the most universally liked Star Wars film?
>>
>>64418841
Not really, I felt the pacing was like a transformers movie but other than that you essentially got it.
>>
>>64424160
It's his way of saying that they wanted the movie to be as marketable as possible.

He can't outright say that they wanted him to prioritise money over any artistry because he still wants to make his 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea with Disney.
>>
>>64424079
... Which one was the other one with all the creatures?

I'm pretty sure ESB has lots of creatures too.
>>
>>64418841
>should've just made him Sheev-sized
That way just a hologram, yo. Personally I'm assuming he's actually Yoda-sized.
>>
Every fucking movie is the same nowadays. I thought this new Star Wars series might be interesting but it's the exact same garbage I see every time I go to the fucking theater.

Fuck movies. TV is king right now.
>>
>>64421491
>no memorable music
>when Rey's theme is right fucking there
>>
>>64423591
Because it's the only part of the film that actually captured the magic of the OT. A sense of wonder.
>>
>>64425359
>Spouts shit
>Offers no logical argument
Dude if you're going to say something is shit at least give a decent reason, what's the point in contributing to discussion if you're going to act like that?
>>
>>64425359
i need a new show. what's worth watching?
>>
>>64425399
>rey's theme
based anon
I too love rey's theme and any other parts of other tracks where it shows up
>>
It's amazing that Rey's Theme is easily the best track of the movie.

Speaks volumes about the rest of the score.
>>
>>64426176
It's amazing that everything that happens between BB8 escaping the village and being found by Rey - read, all the non-action - is easily the best part of the movie.

Speaks volumes about the rest of the film.
>>
>>64426176
Kylo's theme works within the movie, even though it's not the most memorable. And the Resistance theme is pretty good. Not a classic, but pretty solid Williams piece. Kind of reminded me of the Nazis' theme from Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade.
>>
>>64423245
>especially after the terrible prequels
boring meme

they should have just gotten Lucas to direct again

he's much more of an auteur than hack J.J.
>>
>>64418996
Yep it is.

7/10 Cinematography, too much JJ.
8/10 Music, some memorable pieces but nothing spectacular it's nice music to hear on a rainy day.
7.5/10 Pacing and Editing I agree with people how we went from Jakku to the Millenium Falcon extremely quickly. But the rest of the movie is fine, but there are some very quick and weird cuts in some scenes.
8.5/10 Action, this is the selling point of the film for the casual masses who just want to see lightsabers, it was done to please them and me. The lightsabers fights feel grounded and character driven again. Space battles in the film are fine. except for the new trench run that I didn't pay too much attention to.
Script 8/10 The script manages to give us some funny quips and scenes, and takes us through the movie without feeling confused or bored, but yeah recycles too much of A New Hope but at this point it was the only way to make a SW film without faggots whining how it's NOT Star Wars.

Overall 9/10
>>
>>64418841
>Rey WAS a Mary Sue
Unfortunately yes, they tried to make her like Luke AKA making her be almost a Mary Sue but not quite, but since she is a women they couldn't have her do a lot of things becuase of fear of feminists FUCK FEMINISTS GODAMN
>>
File: star-wars-the-force-awakens.jpg (203 KB, 699x1211) Image search: [Google]
star-wars-the-force-awakens.jpg
203 KB, 699x1211
>>
>>64426413
>everything below 9/10
>overall is somehow a 9/10
>>
>>64426499
I don't know how to use different scores to grade.
>>
File: reyhelmet.webm (627 KB, 720x304) Image search: [Google]
reyhelmet.webm
627 KB, 720x304
>>64423948
>>64423591
Only moment in the film where I felt Ridley fit the character, and where I actually emphasized with Rey as a person rather than seeing her as an overpowered, unrelateable hero.
>>
>>64418841
Its barely a 4/10
>>
>>64418841
>7/10
>Godawful
?
>>
>>64418996
yeah

1/10 meme tv movie cinematography
1/10 music, can't remember a single tune
1/10 pacing, i was about to fall asleep when han died
1/10 characters, literally star wars rebels-tier
1/10 action, every scene was shot, choreographed and edited like a video game
1/10 effects. Made the millennium falcon look like a cheap toy, snoke looks like shit
1/10 script, can't remember anything aside from trying to imitate ANH

overall 1/10
>>
>>64426561
IGN rating scheme
>>
>>64426413
>>64426499
Ok I'm back it's an 8/10.
>>
>>64418841
>>Snoke is a stupid name and making him huge doesn't make him any more threatening, should've just made him Sheev-sized

imagine being this dumb
>>
>>64420298
I don't think you understood
>>
>>64421553
>>
Overall, I feel that TFA is the polar opposite of the prequels. What probably happened is the focus groups looked at the parts of the prequels that people didn't like, and went as far in the other direction as humanly possible. But swinging the pendulum so far in the other direction has its own issues.

It was entirely too safe, basically being a soft remake of ANH. And with JJ's fast-paced directing style, the story is always pushing forward and escalating more and more without giving you a real chance to breathe. It was like he was going so fast because he didn't want you to ponder on anything. Didn't have the melancholic moments that make up star wars.
>>
>>64418841
star wars is marvel you stupid fucks
both disney products now
>>
>>64426767
Tried so hard not to be shit that it forgot to be good, essentially.
>>
8/10
Second best movie. You nigs were never, ever going to like any new Star Wars movie.
>>
You forgot the constant coincidences
>>
>>64426827
Basically yes.
It was like "well people hated politics in the prequels, right? So we're not going to talk about ANY politics at all whatsoever in TFA and not even discuss what the first order or resistance or new republic even are, even though the original trilogy had plenty of this sort of political exposition"

Whole thing is completely focused grouped to hell. I'm hoping that this was just because it was the first of the new movies and that they're going to mix it up with 8 and 9, but I doubt it. SW is going full Marvel and there's going to be a long string of movies. Some meh, some good, but never anything 10/10 excellent because they're all going to be safe and sterile.
>>
>>64426883
To be fair, the OT had its share of coincidences too. Like the Tantive IV just so happened to get attacked right above Tatooine and just so happened to fire its escape pod near Luke's home and the droids just so happened to get captured and sold to Luke.
>>
>>64426413
>he thinks TFA is a near masterpiece

What the fuck?
>>
>>64426906
The whole premise of an isolated "resistance" fighting the new order was bullshit. They were doing backflips all just to set up a redux of a new hope when there should have simply been a New Republic stamping out the remnant of the empire. The story should have focused entirely on luke and the new jedi order and the fall of his student. The star killer base was completely unnecessary filler and made no sense whatsoever.
>>
>>64418841
I gave the film the same rating but I was much more positive about it.
>>
does anyone have a link to this DK book?
i can't locate it.. maybe it is not scanned yet.
there is also a second volume with technical blueprints.
we need to find them..
>>
>>64426875
Why don't you explain why it's an 8/10 and why it's the second best Star Wars movie?
>>
>>64427065
It really bugged me how nothing was set up. The story just bumped from one thing to the next and you weren't supposed to question why.

The star killer base is the most egregious example. In ANH, the death star was set up incredibly early on in the movie. It was central to the entire plot. Same with the DS2 in RotJ. But in TFA, they just unveil it to the viewer in the last act of the movie as if I were playing Dark Souls and just walked through the fog wall and saw the boss or some shit. It was terrible.
>>
>>64427045
>masterpiece
... I just mentioned it's flaws. It's not perfect.
>>
A Star Warsian's Tale

"Gee, golly, gosh, gloriosky," thought Rey as she stepped on the bridge of the Millennium Falcon. "Here I am, the youngest Jedi in the Resistance - only eighteen and a half years old." Captain Solo came up to her. "Oh, Rey, I love you madly. Will you come to bed with me?" "Captain! I am not that kind of girl!" "You're right, and I respect you for it. Here, take over the ship permanently while I go get some hot chocolate for us." C3PO came onto the bridge. "What are you doing in the command seat, scavenger?" "The Captain told me to." "Flawlessly logical. I admire your mind."

Captain Solo, Finn, Kanjiklub and Chewbacca debarked with Rey to Whiforla XI. They were attacked by green droids and thrown into prison. In a moment of weakness Rey revealed to Finn that she too was half diversity hire. Recovering quickly, she sprung the lock with her unprecedentedly untrained Force powers and they all got away back to the ship.

But back on board, R2D2 and Rey found out that the men who had debarked were seriously stricken by the hibernation sickness, Rey less so. While the four rebels languished in Crew's Quarters, Rey ran the ship, and ran it so well she received the Nobel Peace Prize, the Neimoidian Order of Gallantry and the Sarkeesian Order of Good Vaginahood.

However the disease finally got to her and she fell fatally ill. In the Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center as she breathed her last, she was surrounded by Captain Solo, Kylo Ren, BB8, and Luke Skywalker, all weeping unashamedly at the loss of her beautiful youth and youthful beauty, intelligence, capability and all around niceness. Even to this day her birthday is a national holiday of the Republic.
>>
>>64418996
>9/10 music
>great as usual for Williams
stop
>>
>>64427181
JJ thought if he just kept ramping up the pace no one would get the time to wonder about any of this.

So people came out the cinema thinking, "well I was never bored during it 9/10".
>>
>>64427102
Although one thing that I haven't spoken of were all the contrived coincidences.

So Rey just happens to be on the same planet that Finn and Poe crash land on? Rey's boss just happens to have the Millennium Falcon on hand. After commandeering the M. Falcon, Finn and Rey just happen to be caught by Han Solo and Chewie so soon after leaving? There's way too many contrivances in the writing.

Still liked it overall but it was a little 'funny' that way.
>>
>>64427263
You gave it a 9/10.

A 10 is considered a masterpiece.
>>
>>64427326

What was wrong with the music? No matter its flaws it's still leagues above most other blockbuster film scores.
>>
wait
JJ hasn't actually directed any actual films right?(reboots don't count) Why was he chosen again?
>>
>>64427365
The first one is probably because Luke left the map with the old guy after taking Rey to Jakku. The latter two are legit retarded coincidences, though.
>>
>>64427337
EXACTLY. It's why everyone is seeing it and calling it fucking amazing. People also thought Ep1 was amazing when it first released, and it wasn't until people let it sink in that it became utterly despised. Same will happen here. The launch high will wear off, people will ponder on it and come to the conclusion that it's all style no substance. The entire movie suffers from ADHD syndrome, which I should have expected coming from JJ
>>
>>64427365
The first two coincidences can be ascribed to a kind of a Star Wars / Hero's Journey "destiny" trope, though. Han and Chewie showing up straight away in the second act because they detected "engine signatures" or something pissed me off though.

The one thing that felt really, really contrived to me was Chewie getting shot just so Rey could get a chance to demonstrate to Han what a great copilot she is. You can almost hear the writer thinking "well I need to get her in that seat somehow. I know! Chewie gets temporarily injured!" Fuck off, JJ.
>>
>>64421553
But palpatine did it in the original
>>
>>64427394
not London symphony orchestra (it shows)
no memorable original pieces
>>
>>64427393
See
>>64426677

I forgot to grade mixing all scores. It was a 7.8 that became an 8.
>>
>>64427394
The score is absolutely fucked. The music is judged against other Star Wars films as it should be.

There's like 3 tracks from each of the prequels that would easily be the best pieces of music in TFA.
>>
>>64427477
>not London symphony orchestra (it shows)

Yeah, the brass was a little more aggressive in timbre. As long as it fit the tone I don't see why it's a bad thing.

>no memorable original pieces

Rey's theme.
>>
>>64427424
>The first one is probably because Luke left the map with the old guy after taking Rey to Jakku.
Oh shit that's actually a pretty good point.

I just assumed that the old guy wasn't originally from Jakku or something and that they met on Jakku so that he could deliver the map to Poe.

>>64422679
>If there was one character that made sense to be stoic and jaded, it's Finn.
Finn was jaded as fuck though. Remember the scene with Maz? Dude wanted OUT because he knew the shit the First Order were up to. He wanted no part in what they were doing and didn't want to risk he or Rey ever getting captured by them. Remember, he just wanted to basically vanish off of their radar forever and live a quiet life at first.

Finn was probably the most likable character overall, along with Poe really.
>>
>>64427477
"Rey's Theme" and the castle reggae number were the only good ones. Everything else was bland. I think JJ didn't want Williams doing any experimenting at all, and it shows.
>>
>>64427442
Considering they were trying to rip off ANH you would think they might try to learn something from that movie with its simple progression and highly deliberate pacing. Instead we got the call of duty of star wars movies.
>>
>>64427477
>>64427526
The film is called the Force Awakens. Of course John Williams would remix the Force theme over and over again.
>>
>>64427512
>*smacks lips*
>so uh you gotta boyfriend?!
>>
>>64427465
>The first two coincidences can be ascribed to a kind of a Star Wars / Hero's Journey "destiny" trope, though.
I didn't at all buy the Millennium Falcon being on Jakku and in ownership of Rey's boss. That shit was genuinely contrived. It's one of those things where you're just like, "Right, okay," then you kinda just go with it.

If anything, it would've made more sense for Han and Chewie to touch down on Jakku in the Millennium Falcon, looking for BB-8 as well or something.
>>
>>64427555
yep, thats definitely something a mind raped ex killing machine taken from family at a very young age would say, 10/10 dialogue
>>
>>64418875
http://niceme.me/
>>
>>64427555
>>64427597
In fairness though, Finn has probably never lived a normal life and has probably never dated anyone ever. Stormtroopers probably aren't allowed to. This is probably the first time he's ever been significantly attracted to someone and had the freedom to romantically approach them.

Poe and Rey are probably the first instances where he ever felt genuine companionship.
>>
>>64418841
Entirely too fast paced but that falls under the Marvel complaint
>>
>>64418841

stopped reading
>>
>>64427526
The Scavenger was good too. Granted, it was just Rey's Theme orchestrated and structured differently, but the flute at the end sold me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3YcCLaTnBE
>>
Max Von Sydow clearly had a much bigger role that was lost in editing.

I'm sure he'll turn up in Ep8 flashbacks which pisses me off.
>>
when a movie is used to sell things like cars, it's not worthy of discussion on a board dedicated to fine cinema
>>
>>64427580
yea, the worst part is that they could have written something that made sort of sense just by playing with the script a tiny bit
but no, they had all the scenes planned out individually and just connected them with weak contrivances
>>
>>64427129
ANH was Flash Gordon mixed with a little Kurosawa, and while charming has its flaws. Jedi has a lot of issues but is a solid end of a trilogy. The prequels are universally not good - the best one has Anakin's romance with Padme as a main feature.

TFA pays homage to both ANH taking from other movies and the OT presenting cyclical retardation from the enemy by making yet another Death Star and taking story notes from the OT. The theme of cycles continues through the whole movie, with the antagonist being the grandson of Vader a new empire; and to face them more people stuck in the cycle with Leia and Han.

Then to the new heroes: Finn bucks his training and breaks free of the stormtrooper cycle, Rey eventually breaks free of her daily grind, and even Luke saw the cycle repeat and washed his hands of it.

It's a decently dense movie with most of its communication done visually. Not the best, but a solid B; 3.5 stars; 8X%. ANH is right in that zone too.
>>
>>64427912
>fine cinema
>fine

half the board is shitty netflix series and mcu threads
>>
>>64427912

>board dedicated to fine cinema
>the board is called "/tv/"
>>
>>64427857
>Rey's Theme
>The Scavenger
>That Girl with The Staff

There's like 3 Rey Themes
>>
>>64427442
I know you want desperately for TFA to go through the Episode 1 cycle, but it's just not going to happen.
>>
>>64427526
>John Williams
>experimenting
He's a fucking hack and always has been.
Theft from better composers is his hallmark.
>>
>>64428409
TFA won't have a comedown nearly as severe as The Phantom Menace because it's a better movie.

But when the hype dissipates, you'll see far more people start describing TFA as a decent movie instead of a great one.
>>
>>64428409
I don't think TFA is as bad as Ep1, just to be clear.

The prequels are absolutely awful. TFA is just super safe, bland, and uninteresting. I don't think people will eventually hate it the way people hate the prequels, but I DO think that the current hype of "HOLY SHIT JUST AS GOOD AS THE ORIGINALS" will die off and people will see it as middling.
>>
>>64428587
>TFA only a decent movie
So... Exactly like ANH?
>>
File: TFA Rey.jpg (98 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
TFA Rey.jpg
98 KB, 1280x1024
Reminder that Rey is a Jedi with wiped memories because of reasons. Pic related.
>>
>>64428942
>Rey
>Revan

You're probably right. Everything that happened in TFA has been super-predictable so this wouldn't surprise me either.

Still, it's kinda lose-lose. Either she's a jedi with amnesia in a cliche ripped straight from KOTOR, or she actually IS that ridiculously good with the force and is the shittiest mary sue ever to exist.
>>
is there a single element of this movie that makes sense when you look at it critically?
>>
>>64429019

But what about the flashback she had about the Knights of Ren and Luke burning the corpses of the padawans? She clearly was there and saw all that. Pretty sure Luke "abandoned" her in Jakku for her sake.
>>
>>64429019
>ripped from KOTOR
>not a surprisingly common fantasy trope
She will remember she only got basic training.

You know, to make a couple attempts to use a single force power more powerful than lifting a couple pounds with her mind.

She basically flailed around most of the movie and got saved by other people. But total Mary Sue for the one section of the movie she does something more than a grunt level mechanic could do.
>>
>>64429128
Yes, it has a heavy handed theme of "history repeats itself"

In a sequel to a nearly 40 year old franchise.
>>
>>64429136
i thought the knights of ren part was the future.
and luke was cremating vader's corpse
>>
File: 667345.gif (299 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
667345.gif
299 KB, 500x373
>>64423055
>reconciliation with the prequels
>>
>>64429349

When Luke cremated Vader's corpse R2 was with Han and Leia and he still had his "meat robot" hand.

After that Rey saw herself as a child cryingat a ship "COME BACK!! DON'T LEAVE ME!!"

You can even see a lot of corspes around the Knights of Ren and Snoke said Kylo was "the last of them" so it clearly was a flashback.
>>
>>64418841
>>Godawful writing. Literally Marvel tier
you mean dc tier
>>
>>64429187
I literally called it a cliche. I meant the exact situation was ripped from KOTOR, as well as the overall cliche being a dead horse anyway

>>64429136
You're assuming it's a personal flashback though. I thought she was catching glimpses of the past using her force powers, not remembering bits of pieces of her own personal past.

I still think you're right, but it's not definitive yet, certainly not based on that
>>
>>64429474

I'm assuming this ONLY because the scene where she's crying as a child...I think that implyes the whole scene was somekind of flashback.
>>
>>64429435
oh god you're right i'm retarded
>>
>>64428853
No. ANH was a good to great movie.

>great direction; even better editing
>phenomenal world building that instilled as sense of wonder in a generation
>beautiful score
>great effects for the time
>memorable characters, some of whom became iconic in American cinema
>memorable sequences and imagery, that inspired a generation of film makers
>>
>>64423055
>BB-8 is so clearly CGI

Done
>>
>>64423055

>BB-8 is CGI

LOL this motherfucker can't be serious.
>>
Rey... Ren... What's next, Rex? Rek? Rep? Rev? There's something weird here.
>>
>>64431527
>Rex
That's actually taken, It's one of the Clones.

>Rep
That's how imperials call the republic people.
>>
File: awkward gay shit acting.gif (2 MB, 500x220) Image search: [Google]
awkward gay shit acting.gif
2 MB, 500x220
>>64418841
>>Po the pilot was fucking shit tier, ruined the first scene of the movie with his stupid jokes
His acting is absolutely disgusting and overdone.
>>
>>64418841
>>Po the pilot was fucking shit tier, ruined the first scene of the movie with his stupid jokes

He was literally the best character of the show, the only bad thing they did was giving him so low screentime.

>That scene with his black X-wing blowing up 7 ties and killing 3 stormtroopers while Finn was looking

Give me a Rogue Squadron game with fucking Poe Dameron EA.
>>
>>64421737
He found an old x-wing buried in sand and repaired it with some help from locals. It was filmed, but removed from the final edit.
>>
>>64421923
kek
>>
>>64418841
That was what his character was supposed to be like retard. You gonna criticize Chewie's actor for not saying anything legible?

>>64431527
It was an intentional choice. Like Leia/Kreia (from KOTOR). Its poetry.
>>
>>64427659
I personally thought that the death of the unidentified stormtrooper in the beginning is what changed his opinion, not the deaths of the civies
>>
I saw it yesterday

Didnt read anything about the movie, just knew the main characters were a black guy and a woman.

Who the fuck is this Snookie guy, where did he came from.
Why is the plank doing advanced jedi shit even when shes just a literal nobody.
Why is the black dude such a pussie when he is supposed to be a trained soldier?

Suspension of disbelief broken in every way possible.
>>
>>64434087
It was both. Don't let your edgy 4chan viewpoint get in the way of what actually happened.

Also I don't get why some people are saying that was his friend or something. We have no way of knowing who the fuck he was.

I think Finn was just traumatized and disgusted by all the what he saw as senseless death, so he deserted. Yeah he winded up killing a few stormtroopers himself but considering he's not really a big fan of the First Order, he basically saw it as a necessary evil.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbvQxDewIQk
>>
>>64435880
2/10
>>
>>64418841
Boyega was shit, though. Listening to him try to sound white was painful, and he was way too quick on his delivery.
>>
>>64423002

>being happy with this slack-jawed cunt doing all of this
>>
Is kylo going to turn good? I have a feeling he is.
>>
>>64432059
You keep posting your husbando
>>
>>64418841
As a long time Star Wars fan and geek, I'm actually agreeing with OP that the movie was mediocre as shit (and even bad if it wasn't SW) and here's my main reasons why.

1. Using old characters for the sake of using old characters.

>Fuckin Leia looks like she couldn't even use her facial expressions anymore because of botox and added nothing to the story
>Jedi master Luke has turned into a fat old bastard.
>Harrison Ford did a decent job but I had the feeling his boredom with the role of Han Solo got sort of projected onto his acting.

2. Too many old trilogy rip-offs

>Seriously a new kind of Death Star?
>Seriously again a shield that has to be downed before the pilot hero flies in and finishes it?
>Again that shot with the huge army of stormtroopers and the Hitler like speech.
>Oh look a desert planet again
>Oh look Phasma doesn't look at all like a new Boba Fett
>Oh look let's re-use quotes from the old movie
>Same character profiles all over, besides Finn who's desertion doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

3. Some pretty shitty acting

>Poe Dameron's actor is shit
>General Hux's actor is shit
>Adam Driver is pretty shitty as well

I could probably go on and on, but all in all I'm seriously disappointed and I seriously don't get the insanely positive reviews. I get why they would want to draw all these parallels with the old movies and make recognizable moments for the Star Wars fans, but I would've rather seen something new than watching a giants deja vu. Apparently most people jizzed their pants anyways tho.

I would rate 6.5/10 and that's because it's Star Wars. Any other movie would've been broken down by critics and would've scored lower for me.
>>
>>64423002
if that actually happened and they made a point of her becoming a sith herself through such heinous actions it'd be p good tbqhf
Thread replies: 243
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.