[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is a much better film than Saving Private Ryan. Why did
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
This is a much better film than Saving Private Ryan.
Why did it play second fiddle?
>>
>Why did it play second fiddle
because Spielberg is Jewish and Malick isn't, probably.
>>
>>64403942
That movie feels much more like an epic than Saving Private Ryan, and it's also breathlessly intimate.

However Saving Private Ryan is definitely a much better movie technically speaking, the camera-work in the D-day sequence alone btfo the entirety of Thin Red Line. The mood progression is also better.

I think TTRL is the better movie overall, while SPR is better directed.
>>
>>64403942

>Why did it play second fiddle?

Cause the average Americans aren't interested in the reality of war just hearing that they saved Europe and killed Hitler singlehandely like Speilberg gave them.
>>
>>64404305
Pleb: the post.
TTRL is one of the best shot films ever.
>>
>>64404525
this
>>
Critics don't understand the Way of Grass.
>>
>>64404088
The Jew fears the Assyrian
>>
>>64403942
Because it only got made after the success of SPR.
>>
Loved Mickey Rourke's performance in TTRL
>>
I like this movie but I understand why people don't. It's good but it's also up its own asshole most of the time. I also feel like it would have benefited from having a cast of unkonwns instead of a bunch of A-listers, it's really not the kind of movie where you want the audience to be taken out of the experience because they recognize John Travolta showing up in one scene.
>>
Its boring as fuck. I stopped watching half an hour in.

>le comfy forest
>le war is hell
>le no fucking plot at all minimalism bullshit
>>
because you stop liking Malick once you get past the age of 21 and dump your phish albums
>>
>shoot 8 hours
>act surprised when studio demands you reduce it to 2 hours
>>
>>64406483

you are a supreme asshole
>>
>>64406590
If that makes you feel superior in being able to enjoy such a pretentious piece of shit movie, by all means feel free to think that.
>>
Voice-overs are shit and this movie suffered because of them.
>>
File: 1435033627303.jpg (76 KB, 600x583) Image search: [Google]
1435033627303.jpg
76 KB, 600x583
>>64406534

>People have seen the 3 hour version
>You'll never be one of them
>>
File: MALICK.jpg (181 KB, 872x941) Image search: [Google]
MALICK.jpg
181 KB, 872x941
>>64403942

>Jim caviezel wasn't even the main character
>His performance in the movie was so good Malick cut all the footage to make him the MC

Has any other Director in the history of film ever done this?
>>
>>64406534
Imagine how actors like Brody felt when they found out they were pretty much edited out altogether.
>>
>>64406740
Malick only did that because Jim was a devout Christian while Brody was a heathen Judaic. God bless.
>>
>>64403942
>Why did it play second fiddle?
too highbrow and not formulaic enough for the TFA masses to digest
>>
Mallick drones are a disease
>>
File: 1450260267997.png (257 KB, 4500x4334) Image search: [Google]
1450260267997.png
257 KB, 4500x4334
>>64406874

>30+ Star Wars threads a day
>HURRRRRRR DURRRRRRRRRR MALICK FANS ARE THE PROBLEM

T. cuckold
>>
>>64405860
they released around the same time irrc.
>>
>>64404305
the battle scenes in TTRL fucking ruled
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpQTveirmlE
>>
Spielberg makes movies that appeal to mass audiences and Malick doesn't.

Were you also surprised that Star Wars is more popular than Knight of Cups?
>>
This was the only movie I've ever walked out from halfway through due to sheer boredom and disgust. Why are you all such fucking queers?
>>
GRASS SIMULATOR 2000
>>
>>64406673
Fuck that seen when they raid the Japanese camp starts out in the mist where the Americans are just hearing bullets whiz by them, it's clearly dawn at this point.

Next scene, midday, already in the camp, clearly jumped over the whole battle there.
>>
File: tumblr_mg8oj4KvJ31qgu2gyo2_500.gif (1024 KB, 500x220) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mg8oj4KvJ31qgu2gyo2_500.gif
1024 KB, 500x220
>>
>>64408871
That always bothered me. Its soo dark with the mist then cuts to high noon and they all have their hands up
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.