[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>everyone talks about the original trilogy as if they are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 6
File: Star-Wars-Battlefront.jpg (149 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Star-Wars-Battlefront.jpg
149 KB, 1280x720
>everyone talks about the original trilogy as if they are masterpieces in filmmaking
>watch them
>they're all shit

Is this the ultimate ruse?
>>
>>64400325
Cool, i'm not the only one.
They're all mediocre pieces of shit. Some of the characters are pretty cool (Vader, Han Solo) but the ultimate struggle between evil vs good is just so fucking cliché. It's clearly aimed at children, there's no complexity at all.

Lightsabers feel like wasted potential, it's an unique weapon which could potentially lead to unique fights as well, one mistake and you're cut in half but they seem to handle like swords so there's no advantage to it.

It saddens me, everything could have been so much better, even the OT.
>>
>>64400325
Episode 4 is good. The rest are mediocre.
>>
>>64401145
5 > 4
>>
>>64400325
Episode 4 works fine as a stand-alone movie. Otherwise it's all bullshit. Even the story sucks, the games are much better.
>>
File: scouttrooper.jpg (197 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
scouttrooper.jpg
197 KB, 1024x768
>>64400325
fyi, there's a massive difference between "my favorite movie" and "masterpiece in filmmaking"
>>
>>64401087
Its almost as if it was a childrens movie
>>
>>64400325
Battlefront 2 is one of my favorite shooters. And I hate SW.

Mos Eisley was my shit. Felt like "actual" combat.
>>
>>64400325
I like Star Wars, but definitely not as much as the next guy. I've never understood how people are so fanatical about it. Probably because the special effects were ahead of their time I guess.

>>64401087
Pretty much how I feel.
>>
>>64401328
>Felt like "actual" combat.
kill yourself
>>
>>64401228
Don't pretend like people don't praise Star Wars to shit. Don't even fucking TRY to BEGIN to pretend that.

The original movies are often cited as "the greatest trilogy of all time" or "the greatest fantasy movies of all time."
>>
>>64401087
Wow sorry their isn't enough gray areas and supa sekrit twisted morality plots to hold your interest, you enlightened gentlesir
>>
>>64401583
Name a better trilogy and why
>>
File: 1423201356010.jpg (198 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
1423201356010.jpg
198 KB, 500x377
>>64400325
They're pretty good movies, but that's all they are to me: good movies. It's insane how fanatical people get about them.

Hell, I was at the mall the day before VII premiered and there was already a massive line for it at 5 PM. Seven fucking hours before the show.
>>
Star Wars is fun as fuck. There is a ton of artistic merit in it. It's just patrician poison because it's popular and makes ton of money.
>>
File: 1450954729316.jpg (13 KB, 236x283) Image search: [Google]
1450954729316.jpg
13 KB, 236x283
>>64401669
>projecting this much

Sorry i offended you senpai.
>>
>>64401087
>everything must be gray and try to be deep because I am an insecure kid that can't enjoy simple things

Lol what a loser
>>
>>64400325
The ideas behind these films and the actual SW universe is quite interesting, Lucas is indeed a great visionary. The movies, however, are all total shit. All these flicks are pretty much equal to capeshit. OT and the Prequels both. TFA was actually an improvement from a filmmaking point of view.
>>
I re watched the OT before watching tfa and I liked tfa the best
The OT was ok I'd say a high 6-low 7 kek - the whole concept/universe of sw is p sick and all but I'd say that tfa was the most fun movie out of all the Star Wars episodes
>>
>>64401718
Rocky I-IV
>>
>>64401718
Lotr

Even Harry Potter feels more adult oriented than SW
>>
>>64400325
hey, I've always been saying that they're shit

only stupid manchildren and nostalgiafags claim that the trilogy is good
>>
>>64401937
I don't get the whole
>Lol it's orientated at children!!1!
It's the story of some guys going around blowing up spaceships and shooting guys in white uniforms. Just because their isn't pools of blood and graphic violence means that suddenly the whole movie it for kids?
>>
>>64401145
Agreed.
Empire strikes back isn't good at all. Yoda is a silly character and Vader suddenly becomes a cartoon villain, choking people all the time.
>>
>>64400325
>all shit
I could say the same thing about fucking your mom
>>
>>64402034
No, it s not that
The whole tone is light and not-serious. The silly alien creatures in the bar scenes ruin it
Only SW that managed to break this mold was the last of the prequels
>>
>>64402159
So you are my father? Nooo, that's impossible!
>>
>>64402231
>The whole tone is light and not-serious
So? It's fucking fun and a great adventure movie. And you're just memeing if you say the entire thing was light hearted without consequence
>The silly alien creatures in the bar scenes ruin it
Go walk into any fucking bar right now and tell people that them playing music and having private conversations kills the serious tone of life
>>
>>64402034
Its the simplification of good vs evil that makes it look like its aimed at children.

I never understood how could i enjoy a movie more just because it looked pretty cool at the time it came out.
But then again im not into most of the nerdy movies either
>>
>>64402159
I don't have a mom you shitlord, I was raised by two loving dads.
>>
>>64401669
>Never mentioned anything about gray areas or twisted plots
Are you angry people are shitting on your little childhood movie?
>>
>>64402405
>Its the simplification of good vs evil
Why does that matter? Are you physically incapable of enjoying a movie if the good guys don't occasionally lie to and rob innocent people or the bad guys are respected for saving cats out of trees? That way you can lean back in your chair and smugly post comments like "It was SO morally ambiguous! Just goes to show that there's no such thing as good and bad!1!"
>>
>>64401872
Anon that's retarded, what on earth does TFA have on any other Star Wars film
>>
>>64401228
>letting the barrel touch the ground

What kind of unsat bullshit is this? No wonder they lost to the fucking ewoks
>>
>>64402551
If only they motivations besides "evil can't strive!" or "we gotta rule no matter what!".
>>
>>64402444
>the ultimate struggle between evil vs good is just so fucking cliché
>Implying you weren't just trying to say it was shit because it wasn't morally ambiguous enough for your 2deep and extremely mature mind
Nice damage control
>>
>>64400325
>>64401087

Let me guess, you saw Special Edition?

Yes, they are shit.
>>
>>64400325

They're good, but not incredible.
>>
>>64402231
>The whole tone is light and not-serious.

you mean the part when someone is about to beat the shit out of Luke so Obi Wan cuts that guy's arm off?
>>
>>64402573
It's probably the funniest Star Wars flick.
>>
>>64400325
>People enjoyed the OT for being imaginitive and using cool special effects while telling a coherent, classic style story

>Disney releases a shitty action movie and adds lightsabers with CGI that isn't anything special compared to other, concurrent films

I'm ok with you not liking Star Wars. Those movies are undoubtedly a product of their time, and their advancements look quaint nowadays. But pretending the story is somehow shitty because it's "black and white" is utter nonsense. It was a story of family, hope, and redemption. Classic values for a story that borrowed heavily from older stories like the King Arthur mythology. You idiots are the same people who'd look at Greek tragedies and go "WOW WHAT'S THIS GOOD VS EVIL SHIT WHERE'S THE DEPTH?"
>>
>>64402603
>laser sniper rifle
>>
Question: If the movies lack depth because it's simply light vs dark, then why do the rebels, the "good guys" shoot the storm troopers who wear white uniforms?
Checkmate pseudo intellectual faglords
>>
>>64402737
>But pretending the story is somehow shitty because it's "black and white" is utter nonsense
>one guy's opinion is everyone's opinion

OP here, I already made a thread about this yesterday, but it didn't get as much attention so I didn't feel like going into detail again.

There's no denying the story is very simple, I also thought it felt like a kids' movie, not because of being "black & white" but just because... it really does feel like a kids movie. The vision is good but the effects are outdated as hell (some older movies stood the test of time better), the acting is pretty mediocre, the lines are cringey, the pacing is weirdly put together and it's hard to dispute the fact that much of its fame comes from nostalgia or "BUT THINK ABOUT THE PAST MAN!!", which aren't really great arguments for defending something at all.
>>
>>64402551
Just because you don't like to think, and don't like characters who could have any real depth, where you can actually see where they are coming from, it doesn't mean that everyone will like the same shit as you.

>>64402737
Greek tragedies actually have more depth than star wars
>>
>>64402943
Oh, also, one of the biggest factors for me is that Darth Vader isn't intimidating, AT ALL. He's goofy as fuck.
>>
>>64400325
They were amazing for the time, you damn kids.
>>
>>64403075
Also this.
>>
>>64402638
I wasn't even the guy that wrote about the cliché thing but you're just interpreting and protecting your own moronic views.
Star Wars was inspired by The Hero of a Thousand Faces some piece of shit book that compares mythologies and boils down a bunch of old time stories into a single universal theme ancient civilizations all shared. So the evil vs. good story is literally as fucking cliché as you can possibly get.
>>
>>64402986
Gotcha. Star Wars should have been the story of an edgy teen who saves the galaxy, but kills several innocent people along the way to show that he's deep and lacking in morals, and then grows into a respected hero. Who still kills innocent people occasionally to show hat he's still morally ambiguous. Oh and by the way the Empire only existed to protect the people of the galaxy and set up universal healthcare, and after the Death Star was destroyed millions of retired citizens lost their pensions
>>
calling a movie "shit"
this is "shit"
x was "shit"
stop please
>>
I always enjoyed the scenery. Cloud City looked so clean inside.
>>
>>64403128
So you're saying that their should have been a scene where a young Luke robs a bank before joining Obi Wan so he's not entirely good?
>>
>>64403075

Why is he goofy? How could he have been improved?
>>
>>64403075
And that would be why?
>>
>>64403280
His voice, most of all. People act like he's all badass but both his voice and speaking manners are just laughable. He also seems very "wooden" in the suit, but that word could be extended to every single lightsaber fight in these movies, wooden as hell. The movie ultimately feels like a kids' movie because Darth Vader isn't far from the type of villain I'd expect to see on some morning cartoon fighting a talking animal or on Power Rangers or whatever. The "totally bad", but not really intimidating, actually goofy baddie.

The entire franchise feels like a relic of the past. Which would be great if time never moved forward, but not being able to stand the test of time actually says more about a piece of work than "it was once good, like, very long ago."
>>
>>64403280
It looks like he wears a big bucket on his head
>>
>>64401834
what was he projecting there?
>>
>>64400325

Like them or not they have a massive fanbase and they all fit together.

This new one is totally out of place.
>>
>>64401087
> so fucking cliché
> cliché
> é

Run, it's the élite!
>>
>>64403148
>implying every movie is edgy teen movie that is more than just good vs evil
I'm guessing that you are a big fan of disney
>>
>>64403449
Except he literally killed his master to save his son, so obviously he wasn't a total edgelord
>>
>>64403243
That's a great idea anon, I'm sure you're a professional writer desu
>>
>>64403148
Why are manchildren so insecure?
>>
>>64403583
Of course, they made TFA :^)
>>
>>64403591
>the "totally bad"
>" "
>""

Learning to interpret things is a powerful tool.
>>
>>64403625
>Shitting on one of the most popular and successful franchises in history because you didn't like how it didn't try to be 2deep4u
>Not a manchild
Ok bud
>>
>>64401818
>Fun as fuck
>Artistic merit
Post discarded. If you can't elaborate beyond "fun" you're not even close to patrician.
>>
>>64403717
>implying it didnt become so successful because of the manchild fanbase

Are you for real?
>>
Prequels > Original Trilogy > The Marvel Awakens
>>
>>64400325
The magic is there when you are a kid but the films are dated now.

Though I still stand by saying the EBS is one of the greats
>>
File: 1451013288821.jpg (14 KB, 145x246) Image search: [Google]
1451013288821.jpg
14 KB, 145x246
>>64403853
>prequels
>above anything whatsoever

Damn son, i don't even like SW but this is the highest level of shit taste.
>>
>>64403823
I mean, if you want to pull that card you can say that about anything
>>
>>64403550
that's how it's spelled, dumbass.
>>
File: going.png (76 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
going.png
76 KB, 420x420
>>64403853
>>
>>64402737
storytelling is supposed to have advanced 2,000 years since Ancient Greece
>>
>>64403960
>gets pointed out that he is a manchild
>claim its not true since SW is successful
>claim that every fanbase consist of manchilds

Great logic there brah
>>
>>64402943
Examples of movies around the era that stood the test of time better? Are you seriously telling me that movies from the 70s and 80s look dated? Well no shit, guy.

I'd write all of this off as a generational gap, but frankly I watched the OT after the prequels came out and still fell in love with them. The story, while simple, is incredibly well executed. You know who the heroes are, why they're heroic, you know who the villains are, and it slowly unfolds what they want too. There's plenty of ambiguity in SW. Han is a smuggler, he has no doubt smuggled tons of illicit things that has caused real harm, drugs, weapons, probably even slaves (this isn't really stated, but it's pretty clear smugglers are considered useful scum the way they basically are IRL).

It had great adventure, taking us to worlds we could only imagine at the time, the lightsaber fights were somewhat awkward at first, but it was also because the first fight in the OT was between two old men, one of whom was a half burned potato in a big ass life support suit.

Then there's the "I am your father" twist. It may seem quaint now, because it inspired 30 years of such twists, but at the time I thought it was really cool to introduce that sort of ambiguity. Suddenly everything was not as clear cut as it once was. The man who'd murdered his mentor and tried to kill him was the very same man he had spent his time trying to emulate, believing him a hero.

The ROTJ Lightsaber fight is fantastic, but my favorite is the Bespin duel. It really shows what an amateur Luke is compared to Vader, and Vader is barely breaking a sweat toying with him. You get all of this information from non-dialogue sources, it's pure worldbuilding and in the coolest way.

Not finding Vader intimidating is something I don't understand too, perhaps I need examples of villains that people DO find intimidating.
>>
>>64404130
epic.
>>
>>64404056
To say that is to make a fundamental misunderstanding of storytelling, as the implication here is that complex = better, when such is not always the case in a story. Sometimes simple themes work best to communicate messages, even complex ones. It's the entire point of the concept of a parable.
>>
>>64404056
Then why don't you go on and write the next classic or global blockbuster hit anon?
>>
>>64403449
You say Darth Vader is akin to those villains likely because nearly every piece of media aped him because he was so iconic.

He fucking tosses people around 2 seconds into ANH, can cause people to stop breathing with a thought, and is basically immune to things like guns just with his bitchin' suit, much less the MYSTICAL POWER OF ASS KICKING HE COMMANDS.

You say he's cartoonish, why? Because of his outfit? You say his voice is "laughable", why? Because it's a deep black man's voice?

You just keep using a thesaurus to explain your position rather than pointing out things in the movie that back your point up. Youtube has it all man, show your work.
>>
>>64403976
Retard.
>>
>>64404133
>>64404382
>being this asspained about someone not liking Star Wars

You're not proving the "manchild" argument wrong.

And what words in those posts could possibly come from a thesaurus? "Relic"? Are you that illiterate?
>>
>>64404454
>Gets mad when someone explains their defense
Your comment was every bit as autistic tbqh, but you probably don't see it that way because you know that you're "right"
>>
>>64404454
You've used the words laughable and "goofy" (I presume that post was also you, my mistake if that was someone else) without intimating why. You keep making claims without pointing out anything to back them up. You finding something "laughable" doesn't help me understand your position if you can't articulate it.

And my thesaurus comment wasn't about me understanding you, it was about you using synonyms to define your position, rather than expanding on your points.

I had nothing to do with the manchild discussion, and I find the designation meaningless since manchildren could be found in any fanbase. I really don't care what an anonymous poster thinks of other anonymous posters.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.