[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: pre-JUST Orson.jpg (2 MB, 2853x3655) Image search: [Google]
pre-JUST Orson.jpg
2 MB, 2853x3655
What went wrong?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
18 KB, 480x360
just do anything?
>>
>>64397362
LITERALLY NOTHING TILL HE GOT OLD AND DRUNK AND FAT

EVEN THEN HE DID THIS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGPPUY40Y7k

IN HIS PRIME HE WAS A GOD, THAT TRACKING SHOT IN TOUCH OF EVIL IS DECADES AHEAD OF ITS TIME
>>
>>64397490

>THAT TRACKING SHOT IN TOUCH OF EVIL IS DECADES AHEAD OF ITS TIME

You know Orson considered Touch of Evil a failure right? He said that even if the studio cut it to his instructions, which didn't happen until 98, it was still a failure.
>>
William Randolph Hearst. After Orson made a complete fool out of him with Citizen Kane, the media tycoon went out of his way to make sure Orson would never be the giant success in Hollywood that he deserved to be, and that he would live nothing but a miserable life.
>>
File: 1451313549294.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1451313549294.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
MUAHAHAHA THE FRENCH
>>
File: faggets.jpg (59 KB, 489x600) Image search: [Google]
faggets.jpg
59 KB, 489x600
>>64397403
>>64397671
>Implying that's not prime Orson
>>
>>64397665
SING SING GETTYS! SIIIIIING SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJJZh_E-G9U

>>64397570
THE OPENING TRACKING SHOT WAS NO FAILURE
>>
>>64397570
When did he say that?

I remember him saying he enjoyed working on the film (despite the problems with the studio)
>>
>>64397362
Became the first meme director
Got fat af
>>
>>64397836
I think we watched the same conversation. He talks about how everything is going fine and he was on budget and on time, then they just shut him out of the editing room right?
>>
>>64398050
Yeah I guess that sounds about right

It's a shame what they did to him, regardless
>>
>>64398196

Why didn't Orson just go back to theatre? Literally everything he made after Kane was hacked to death by studios.
>>
>>64397362

If you're genuinely curious and not memeing, read this recent New Yorker piece:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/12/07/the-shadow
>>
>>64397570

He abhorred The Stranger as well and it's still an excellent film. Artists often are harsh on their own work.
>>
>>64397362
asking anyone in the thread

why is f for fake considered so good?

it was comfy and it had some nice bits but i didnt get a lot out of it

why is it considered so great?
>>
Transformers killed his career
>>
>>64397570
It was a great movie. shut up idiot
>>
Nothing he just died
>>
>>64398939

I think its labyrinthine self reflexiveness, meta-ness, for lack of a better word, in which the whole thing is a construct of fakery within fakery, was pretty extraordinary. Technically, but also saying something about what he thought about film or art. Seems like a cinematic or thematic forebear to Close-Up.
>>
William Randolph Hearst launched a campaign to ruin his career after Citizen Kane was released and it worked.
>>
File: welles kane .jpg (147 KB, 500x689) Image search: [Google]
welles kane .jpg
147 KB, 500x689
>>64399296
>>64397665

I think the Hearst thing is too convenient and the stuff of dated Hollywood legend. The truth has more to do w/ the studio system, his own artistic ambitions and problems, and American audience's sensibilities and such.

>>64398662
>http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/12/07/the-shadow
>>
File: Welles - Othello.jpg (711 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
Welles - Othello.jpg
711 KB, 2000x2000
Hubris
>>
>>64399511
>I think the Hearst thing is too convenient and the stuff of dated Hollywood legend
Dude Welles got booed when he won the Oscar for Citizen Kane's screenplay because Hearst planted dozens of people in the theater just for the sake of booing him. Hearst actually was what liberals today make Donald Trump out to be.
>>
He became the black dahilia killer
>>
>>64399247
Yes I agree with this anon's opinion. It's a collage of disparate thoughts connected by a few subjects in common and directed almost clinically. It's really a distinctive cinematic piece.
>>
Orson was a mastermind and made the greatest piece of cinema (Citizen Kane). Anyone who says otherwise is just a contrarian who does not appreciate true cinema.
>>
too patrician to be famous, Citizen Kane ruined him because critics at the time could only masturbate to the technical stuff
>>
Is Orsen Wells a mary sue?
>>
>>64397362
The studios JUST fucked his shit up.
>>
>>64402017

>Literally never made a successful film
>All his Hollywood films after Kane were hacked apart by the studios
>All his non Hollywood films were massively underfunded and most of the time never even got made
>Got fat
>Had to do commercials and shitty voice over roles to survive

He's literally JUST the person
>>
Chimes at Midnight was surprisingly good
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.