[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So let me get THIS straight: by the end of "A Force Awakens",
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9
File: Mary Sue.jpg (148 KB, 1595x1053) Image search: [Google]
Mary Sue.jpg
148 KB, 1595x1053
So let me get THIS straight: by the end of "A Force Awakens", after besting the villain physically, mentally and spiritually, Rey possess Luke's Lightsaber (that was gifted to her by female Yoda), inherits the Millenium Falcon from her surrogate father Han Solo, has Chewbacca as her co-pilot and R2D2 as her follower.

And she isn't a Mary Sue?

>Mary Sue stories—the adventures of the youngest and smartest ever person to graduate from the academy and ever get a commission at such a tender age. Usually characterized by unprecedented skill in everything from art to zoology, including karate and arm-wrestling. This character can also be found burrowing her way into the good graces/heart/mind of one of the Big Three [Kirk, Spock, and McCoy], if not all three at once. She saves the day by her wit and ability, and, if we are lucky, has the good grace to die at the end, being grieved by the entire ship.
>>
>>64396233
BLOOD DEBT
L
O
O
D

D
E
B
T
>>
>>64396233
>R2D2 as her follower

Are you sure on that? She was probably just taking him back to Luke
>>
>>64396233
She is absolutely 100% a Mary Sue.

She's also perfectly fine, and I like her as a character.

People need to quit it with this whole "everything is either the messiah of cinema or the worst thing ever filmed" complex going on, with SJW "nerd culture" outlets generally proselytizing the former and places like /tv/ the latter. It's a ridiculously almost Manichean way to present discussion on anything. Dealing in absolutes, if you will.

It's perfectly fine to admit that you liked a film or its characters while also admitting that you have problems with them.

For example, I like that Rey has this solemn sort of hope about her, and really "feels" like a Star Wars character and a natural growth of what it means for something to feel like a part of Star Wars. But I don't like that she's good at everything and everyone loves her just because.
>>
>>64397705

I dislike the meme term Mary-Sue but I think Rey's character arc in the movie is poorly written. Good stories usually show characters struggling to overcome personal and external challenges, this enables the audience to relate to them. Rey seems to just be able to overcome exponentially increasing challenges innately. There's no sense that she "earns" her development in the movie. This has alienated a lot of people on /tv/ although they aren't very good at explaining why they feel cheated by Rey's exponential progression in the movie.
>>
File: luke.jpg (132 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
luke.jpg
132 KB, 450x338
>>64396233
>Luke's lightsaber

It's Anakin's lightsaber, Luke's is green
>>
>>64399495
It was anakins, but it is referred to as Luke's saber in the script and film.
>>
Holy fuck, how many times are you faggots going to make the EXACT same thread?
>>
>>64400111
as many times as it'll take
>>
File: 1354360543436.jpg (36 KB, 663x715) Image search: [Google]
1354360543436.jpg
36 KB, 663x715
>>64396233
>mfw mary sue is the newest, dankest meme
>>
>>64399979
but that's dumb
>>
>>64400192
I guess it takes an infinite amount of times when you're autistic.
>>
>>64396233
And she was a good friend.
>>
>>64398057
>trilogy
>story arc complete in one film.
>>
>>64399979
Obi-Wan gave it to Luke 20 years after chopping off Anikan's legs and leaving him to slowly burn alive on Mustafaar. It IS Luke's.
>>
>>64400494
>obi wan calls it 'your fathers lightsaber'
>darth vader calls it 'your fathers lightsaber'
>luke loses it and builds another
its anakins
>>
>>64396233

yeah its pretty vomit inducing
>>
>>64400547
He's dead though, senpai, so it's Luke's now.
>>
>>64398057

I've seen post after post saying the same thing. On this board.
>>
File: what am i reading.jpg (72 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
what am i reading.jpg
72 KB, 1600x900
>>64400220

>Mary Sue
>New
>>
>>64400547
this
>>
>>64400853
did i trigger you? am i a mary sue?
>>
>>64396233
Just watched the movie.

She was definitely the worst part. Completely unrelatable with all the bullshit she pulls out of thin air with every passing scene. Rescues herself by mind controlling a guy out of nowhere what the fuck.

And this is supposed to be our main character.

I watched it with my father and the first thing he said when we walked out of the theatre was "Why does she even need Luke's training when she can already do all that stuff?"
>>
>>64401204
Why would she even want or need Luke's training considering what a failure Kylo Ren turned out to be?
>>
>>64401249
Why was she a better pilot with the Falcon than Solo was?
>>
>>64400483

Yeah. If you can't tell a complete story in the first movie you shouldn't tell the story.

At no point is this bitch or her worldview challenged. She never runs into an obstacle she can't overcome almost immediately.

This movie was a snore fest.
>>
File: EA's hands.jpg (34 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
EA's hands.jpg
34 KB, 720x480
>>64401317
Negative. Han flow through an unrealistically dense asteroid field with moving obstacles and manages to avoid getting pulverized. She just flew through a stationary junkyard that she'd already explored.
>>
>>64401409

With a ship she had never piloted. Hell, she states had NEVER piloted ANY ship before in her life.
>>
File: 1451172579065.jpg (144 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1451172579065.jpg
144 KB, 900x900
>"Gee, golly, gosh, gloriosky," thought Rey-Rey Sue as she stepped on the bridge of the Millennium Falcon. "Here I am, the youngest Jedi in the fleet - only fifteen and a half years old." Captain Solo came up to her. "Oh, Rey-Rey, I love you madly. Will you come to bed with me?" "Captain! I am not that kind of girl!" "You're right, and I respect you for it. Here, take over the ship for a minute while I go get some midichlorians for us." Chewbaka came onto the bridge. "What are you doing in the command seat, Rey-Rey?" "The Captain told me to." "Flawlessly logical. I admire your mind."

It's amazing how well this all fits into A Trekkie's Tale.
>>
>>64400220
Have you been living under a rock for the last decade?
>>
this is probably the worst part, the fact that she just gets the fucking MILLENNIUM FALCON as if she can live up to han fucking solo despite doing nothing to earn it
>>
>>64401848
Does it actually say the Millenium Falcon is hers though? I assumed Chewy gets it, and she gets Chewy because Han liked her and so he feels obligated to her. Kind of like how Obi-Wan got stuck with Anakin after Qui-Gon died.
>>
>>64401984
she sits in the pilot seat and chewie gives her a nod so i assumed so
>>
File: Lord-of-the-Rings-Swords.jpg (78 KB, 700x532) Image search: [Google]
Lord-of-the-Rings-Swords.jpg
78 KB, 700x532
>>64401365
>If you can't tell a complete story in the first movie you shouldn't tell the story.
>>
File: laughing.gif (454 KB, 400x226) Image search: [Google]
laughing.gif
454 KB, 400x226
>>64400882

Yeah but my trigger is newfag children so gj.
>>
Prequels aren't canon, so Luke lightsaber.
>>
>>64401622
I love that image anon
>>
File: image.jpg (408 KB, 1280x1836) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
408 KB, 1280x1836
She'll be doing new tricks in the sequels, like ESP and some junk.
>>
>>64396233
Nope. Rey is a power fantasy. You know, one of those characters men accept joyfully and without question when they have dicks? She's one of those.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.