[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Describe the following Star Wars character WITHOUT saying what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 12
File: Rey_infobox.png (2 MB, 1243x1537) Image search: [Google]
Rey_infobox.png
2 MB, 1243x1537
Describe the following Star Wars character WITHOUT saying what they look like, what kind of costume they wore, or what their profession or role in the movie was. Describe this character to your friends like they ain’t ever seen Star Wars.
>>
She for realz looks like young Anakin.
>>
Shes young, curious, rugged, and kindhearted. Daring and brave but with a hidden sadness
>>
>>64395897
OP BTFO
>>
Some backwater hillbilly that steals junk
>>
She's a girl with a lot of hope (evidenced by her not going crazy despite waiting for her family). She's also scared of major responsibility which was shown when she ran away from the lightsaber. Not to mention, she appears to be very responsible with her well-being which is proven by her amazing pit game.
>>
The girl.

>It's 2016 you can't assume a gender by just looking at someone anymore.
>>
A skywalker?
>>
>>64395797

She doesn't like it when men hold her hand
>>
>>64395897
>rugged
>WITHOUT saying what they look like
Failed already
>>
>>64395797

great warrior great pilot great mechanic great marksman great jedi great friend
>>
Young woman made for breeding
>>
>>64395897
when was she ever kindhearted? She nearly beat up Finn over what a droid she found an hour ago told her, and was generally a bitch to him for like an hour afterwards.
>>
>>64396099
She didnt trade bb8, she cried over finn
>>
>>64396099
She didn't do the usual thing these protagonists or love interests do when she finds out the SHOCKING REVELATION (Finn's a Storm Trooper) and turn on them saying "How could you have not told me? Now we need to separate because I feel betrayed and stuff, until we finally meet up for the finale." Instead she just tried to convince him to stay in the fight because she knew what was important.
>>
I wouldn't have a problem with Rey if the film didn't focus on her so much, Finn was a much better protagonist. Like Finn could have just been a random nobody stormtrooper who answered the call to adventure and became a jedi. Instead Rey just gets everything and Finn gets shafted.
>>
>>64395897
>>64395797
Barnum and Forer are my top 2 favourite effects
>>
>>64395797
Hothead.
>>
>>64396099

Saves bb8 because she respects droids as beings, doesn't sell bb8, etc
>>
>>64396491
>>64396205
being nice to robots is more autism than kindness
>>
>>64395797
Fuck off back to your rape dungeon, Plinkett.
>>
>>64395797
literal, untrusting, self sufficient, a bit simple minded.
>>
>>64395797

delusional bitch with a secret past
>>
>>64395967
She's a survivalist. A strong, independent, resourceful - although very naive - young girl. She doesn't want to be a hero or assume a leadership role, but steps up to the task when its thrust upon her
>>
>>64395797
Fake or real blood on her knuckles?
>>
>>64395797
Full of hope and longing despite being exposed to a painful slog of a life, almost childlike in her innocence. Afraid to trust others. A bit of a loner, not quite sure how to properly interact with others, hasn't had much experience.
>>
>>64395797
she actually looks good with her mouth shut. i'll be damned.
>>
>>64395797
All she thinks about is cock.
>>
File: rey puts on the helmet.webm (627 KB, 720x304) Image search: [Google]
rey puts on the helmet.webm
627 KB, 720x304
She's a lonely young woman who strives for something greater, but is scared to escape her comfort zone because doing so would force her to acknowledge a deep inner fear she's been hiding from her whole life. She longs for adventure, to live for something more than the meagerness of the life she's living. She's open to all kinds of possibilities, friendships and relationships. And when adventure comes knocking on her doorstep, she's still not sure if she can let go of the only life she's known.

More than anything else, she's incredibly lonely and hopeful. Quite a fair bit naive too.
>>
tfa haters btfo? way more characterization that the prequels.
>>
>>64397611

Lukette
>>
File: rey sweaty.png (651 KB, 620x393) Image search: [Google]
rey sweaty.png
651 KB, 620x393
She's very, very sweaty.
>>
Patient to a fault.
>>
>>64395797
She's self reliant to the point of slight arrogance.
A talented pilot and mechanic because of her scavenger background. She's also force sensitive.

She's willing to do the right thing even when it means losing out on personal gain. She's eager to help the Resistance but has trouble letting go of whoever dropped her off on Jakku. That's really her main struggle, giving up her life on Jakku and embracing the new and unknown.
>>
>>64396099
>and was generally a bitch to him for like an hour afterwards.
Not really, she was pretty damn friendly, if anything.
>>
>>64396358
I agree with this completely. Finn really was the more interesting protagonist.
>>
>>64397984
I don't get Finn at all. Troopers are programmed to be ruthless, obedient soldiers from youth but Finn rebels for no plausible reason. I enjoyed his interactions with Poe, but Rey carried him hard once he got on her train.

It would've made sense if he were a new recruit, not one that has been in the order so long that he doesn't remember ever having a name, or if he were a slow, very reluctant turn for the resistance.
>>
>>64396002
>having or requiring toughness and determination.
>>
>>64398900
reprogramming isnt perfect. And he wasn't trained explicitly for combat, he said he was mostly a janitor. He was fine most of his service but his first combat mission broke him and he wanted out.
>>
>>64397726
Hnnnnng
>>
File: 1450733978635.jpg (272 KB, 1587x935) Image search: [Google]
1450733978635.jpg
272 KB, 1587x935
A CUTE
>>
>>64398900
>doesn't like murdering innocent and unarmed men, women, and childred
>no plausible reason
>>
>>64395797
Rey is the textbook definition of a Mary Sue.

/thread
>>
Not enough people have been mentioning how fucking abysmal an actress Daisy Ridley is.

I went to go see the movie today and she is just fucking dire. A Mary Sue played by a decent actor could have been forgivable but Daisy as Rey was just awful.
>>
>>64399214
>Not enough people have been mentioning
You're right, there's only been multiple constant threads about how she sucks since the film came out. You're not in a thread right now about how she sucks. You've broken new ground.
>>
>>64399022
Yeah, I know the provided reasoning, it just didn't gel with me. He appeared to not be conditioned for combat at all. Just because he wasn't utilized as a combat soldier doesn't mean he should've been anywhere near so ill-prepared.

I'm excited to see if they flesh him out well in the sequel tho.
>>
>>64399187
Relatively speaking, it isn't plausible. Bring brainwashed since near birth to be a ruthless killer sees to that. This isn't some happy go lucky Luke Skywalker-esque teen that gets thrust into a wicked position.
>>
>>64399311

Everything I've seen (including this thread you dense turd) is about how the character sucks, not the actor.
>>
>>64399205
Mary Sue doesn't have a "textbook definition" since it's a meme written about secondary fan fiction characters. You're just repeating things that all the other edgy know-nothings. Even if there was a "textbook definition" of Mary Sue, it's a waste of time to try and apply it to action-adventure PROTAGONISTS, because they all essentially fall into the definition.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-02-17-31-51.png (1 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-02-17-31-51.png
1 MB, 1080x1920
Blood Sweat and Tears
>>
>>64395797
>Describe the following Star Wars character WITHOUT saying what they look like, what kind of costume they wore, or what their profession or role in the movie was. Describe this character to your friends like they ain’t ever seen Star Wars.

I hate the Plinkett criteria, I really do (I don't even want to call it a test). It's specifically designed to rule out all of the ways you'd normally use to describe a person and instead asks for a carefully worded critical character analysis worthy of a university level literature final, but is passed off as an "easy" question. It's mean to trick people into thinking something is bad because they find themselves lacking the vocabulary to fulfill the request.
>>
>>64399488
>describing a character's personality is a university level character analysis

wow u must b retarded m8
>>
Probably a lesbian.
>>
>>64395797
MARY SUE
>>
>>64399444
>affirms my assertion

looks like it was you who wasted your time, bud
>>
File: Star Wars 7.webm (3 MB, 720x304) Image search: [Google]
Star Wars 7.webm
3 MB, 720x304
>tfw she will never do this to your dick
>>
>>64399426
>Relatively speaking, it isn't plausible. Bring brainwashed since near birth to be a ruthless killer sees to that.

Here's the thing. We are watching an instance where it most certainly is plausible, because it fucking happened. You're either misusing or misunderstanding the word "plausible," there are no absolutes in human behavior IRL, much less in SPACE FANTASY.

You are also apparently failing to grasp that movies are generally about people that are extraordinary and find themselves in extraordinary circumstances.
>>
>>64399488
>its a mean trick

you just dont know what a character is
>>
>>64399427
You're totally right. You're a unique snowflake with your hot takes
>>
>>64395797
She's uh
>>
>>64399488

Descibe the character without saying things that have nothing to do with the character

>hurr duur, thats mean and complicated
>>
>>64399675
>doesn't know what a mary sue is
>doesn't know what affirms means
Looks like we're all wasting our time here.
>>
>>64395797
>woman that is perfect in everything and liked by everybody immediately
>>
>>64399704
She really does look like a young Jake Lloyd. I really hope that she's a Skywalker. It would piss Kylo off if she's super powerful without really trying while he's a tryhard faggot.
>>
>>64395797
Is this shitty test supposed to prove wether a character is "good"?
>>
I never liked that criticism of the PT characters. When they compare the descriptions of the OT characters it just sounds like a whole bunch of synonyms for the same one or two character traits for each character. And his reasons for discounting character traits for the prequel characters are pretty bullshit. Besides, it's only really meme characters that you can descibe so simply in one word adjectives. What one word adjectives could you use to describe Tony Soprano that aren't inaccurate to a degree?
>>
>>64399488
>describing someone's personality is a carefully worded critical character analysis worthy of a university level literature final
you must be a special kind of stupid
>>
>>64395797
She's very curious about the world around her, excited for her adventure but still scared of what the future holds
>>
Optimistic, conflicted youth who has a love for mechanics and how things work. She is resourceful and humble. She works very hard to overcome hardships. She is moralistic (helps a stranger droid and then won't sell it for exorbitant amounts of money because its not hers to sell). She is fiercely independent.
>>
>>64399903
superman is good because he does good deeds
I think you mean something different
>>
>>64395797
Brash, still kind of childish in a sense, and has some abandonment issues, but she's adaptable and good with her hands.
>>
>>64399903
it just shows that the character is not completely shit
>>
>>64396266
Literally no one cared when Finn confessed he was a stormtrooper, it would have been great if it was actually an important plot point, Finn still hiding the truth but the rebels getting suspicious that he might be a double agent because he seems to know so much about the First Order.
They were actually building up to this route but then in just fizzled away and everyone is like "whatever lol".
>>
>>64399962
I meant "good" in a way that the character is likable, relatable or interesting, not that the character is morally good
>>
>>64400042
>childish
>abandonment issues
>good with her hands
Nice
>>
>>64399962
Good has more than one definition. And you are using the pedantic "Good/Well" shit wrong. No such thing as a "well" character.
>>
>>64395797
sweaty. i wanna drink her sweat. sexy
>>
>>64400241
retard alarm
>>
>>64400139

Not really. There are plenty of great movie characters that couldn't pass the test, and shit characters that could. It may work on stock characters but whoever made that test up is a retard.
>>
>>64400187
>>
>>64400321
>>64400321
>There are plenty of great movie characters that couldn't pass the test

example?

I mean this is not even a test. If you have to use the look, profession, costume,... of a character to descibe him, you are not really describing the character
>>
>>64400606
Luke in ANH. Rey had more of a persona in TFA than Lule had in his first movie

Anyway, even if a character can pass the test doesn't mean it's a well done character. see: everyone in GotG
>>
>>64400845
The thing Luke has though is actual character growth which fleshes him out more than Rey.
>>
>>64400845
>Luke in ANH
if you cant describe Luke Skywalker as OP wants you to, then you are retarded. sorry

>Anyway, even if a character can pass the test doesn't mean it's a well done character. see: everyone in GotG

Thats why I said it like this>>64400139
>>
>>64397708
Absolutely nothing wrong with that imo
>>
>>64400907

Maybe in the entire OT, but not in the first one. Rey is more interesting though because she has a more intriguing background, is more entertaining to watch, and she is better acted.

But my main point is that the test doesn't prove if a character is a good one, only that he/she can be descriped without naming his/her clothes, occupation and role in the plot, that's it. And that is irrelevant to a character's actual quality

Also, the only reason the OT characters are good isn't because of their individual personalities but because of their dynamic, chemistry, and relationship with each other. Individually, they are pretty lame.
>>
A girl abandoned on a desert planet, perpetually waiting for those that left her to return. Longs for more, and yet feels too afraid to leave because she can't sever the attachment to the people who left her.
>>
>>64395797
Attractive, independent, built for BBC, going to ruin thousands of years of racial purity for the good of the galaxy
>>
>>64395797
keira knightley 2.0
>>
File: 3176173-1748009911-hp.jp_.jpg (249 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
3176173-1748009911-hp.jp_.jpg
249 KB, 1920x1080
Describe the following Harry Potter character WITHOUT saying what they look like, what kind of costume they wore, or what their profession or role in the movie was. Describe this character to your friends like they ain’t ever seen Harry Potter.
>>
>>64398900
Finn realized that morning, eating his oatmeal in the cafeteria, it's the right thing to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOLXnkbfEuo
>>
>>64395797
>Describe the following Star Wars character WITHOUT saying what they look like, what kind of costume they wore, or what their profession or role in the movie was. Describe this character to your friends like they ain’t ever seen Star Wars.

>yfw RLM didn't do this with Jar-Jar Binks, since it would've instantly disproved the point Plinkett was making

Regardless of whether you liked Jar-Jar, it would be easy to describe his character traits minus the items excluded in the instructions.
>>
>>64404355
>implying this is not possible
>>
File: Jason_Bourne.jpg (607 KB, 2025x2292) Image search: [Google]
Jason_Bourne.jpg
607 KB, 2025x2292
Describe the following Bourne character WITHOUT saying what they look like, what kind of costume they wore, or what their profession or role in the movie was. Describe this character to your friends like they ain’t ever seen a Bourne movie.
>>
>>64395797
>Describe the following Star Wars character without describing them

BRAVO REDDIT LETTER MEDIA
>>
>>64395797
strong independent womyn don't need no man
>>
>>64399426

He was brainwashed since near birth to be a ruthless janitor
>>
>>64397611
Is she 10 years old? Chew with your mouth closed, for god's sake!
>>
File: anakin-skywalker-reelgood.jpg (35 KB, 621x408) Image search: [Google]
anakin-skywalker-reelgood.jpg
35 KB, 621x408
>>64397611
He's a lonely young man who strives for something greater, but is scared to escape his comfort zone because doing so would force him to acknowledge a deep inner fear he's been hiding from his whole life. He longs for adventure, to live for something more than the meagerness of the life he's living. He's open to all kinds of possibilities, friendships and relationships. And when adventure comes knocking on his doorstep, he's still not sure if he can let go of the only life he's known.

More than anything else, he's incredibly lonely and hopeful. Quite a fair bit naive too.
>>
>>64404355
The books characterize him and everyone else pretty well.
>>
A. Mary Sue.
>>
File: bueno.jpg (47 KB, 546x366) Image search: [Google]
bueno.jpg
47 KB, 546x366
>>64397726
>>
>>64400907
In ANH, Luke learned about the force for like a half hour then just was an Ace fighter pilot. He went through no significantly greater amount of character development than Rey in the first movie.

And really, most of his character growth happens in between movies. Empire ends with him having essentially been the same dude the whole movie, but fucked up from losing a hand. Jedi begins with him being a total badass who wears black all the time. Fucking tryhands trying to justify beefing on a character because they don't like female protagonists.
>>
>>64404968
How is he lonely? He has a mother that cares for him very much, several friends of various species and gets along pretty well with Watto, considering he's his owner and all.
>>
>>64396358
Finn hasn't really found his role yet. I imagine next movie when he realizes he's not cut out to be a Jedi, and he hangs out with Poe more, he'll figure himself out.
>>
File: WHOOPSIE DAISY.gif (993 KB, 500x210) Image search: [Google]
WHOOPSIE DAISY.gif
993 KB, 500x210
>>64397889
>>64397611
>>64397321
>>64397062
>>64395967
>>64395897

Eat a dick OP. Just because you dipshits watched the plinkett reviews and like to parrot whiney hack Max Landis doesn't mean you know shit about screenwriting. Rey is a well-developed character, and the film is very well-made. This continuous circlejerk is little more than you self-important nerds trying to justify the fact that the protagonist doesn't have a dick.
>>
>>64405422
>>64404587
Then go ahead and do it.
>>
>>64395797
literal Padme ripoff
>>
>>64395797
Every character in TFA was developed poorly. The movie has B rate dialogue.
>>
>>64406073
If you think the film is very well made you should very well rethink your life. It was a crappy movie for such a high profile undertaking. Any single scene from the LOR Trilogy had more feel and logic to it than any thing from TFA
>>
>>64404893
I agree. That shit makes me wanna throw up every time I think about it. And by it I mean the entire movie
>>
>>64401829
A more intriguing background? You mean almost zero information given = intriguing?
>>
Female Revan.
>>
>>64406514
Said the anonymous person on the internet without supporting their claim or considering that comparing LOTR to Star Wars is something dumb autists would do.

Spoiler alert: More than one thing can be well-made, and name-dropping LOTR doesn't just make you right or smart.
>>
>>64406681
>almost zero information
Multiple scenes that show what she does and establishes her character and her situation in the first act. Multiple scenes that hint at or provide context for her background. More time spent in TFA providing character exposition for her than for Luke in ANH. Invalid complaint. Quit pretending to know about movies.
>>
The problem with Rey is she didn't have enough lines or interactions with other characters because Abrams was too busy trying to shove a million other things into the movie
pretty much the defining moment of her character in the movie was when Finn wanted to leave the resistance behind

they should've just made the runtime 150 minutes and included maybe a few more brief scenes focused on Rey and Kylo
I get that they made the runtime similar to the originals but those movies were doing nothing but telling their own story at their own pace
TFA is not only telling its own story but also attempting to reconcile the past and live up to its pedigree and it just needed more time to do both
>>
>>64395797
she a big girl
Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.