[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So let me get this straight: Starkiller Base, a literal, actual
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
So let me get this straight: Starkiller Base, a literal, actual planet turned into a weapon of mass destruction is capable of drawing a sun's energy, turn it into a giant space laser and shoot it in a way that it splits to destroy not only one, but FIVE planets in a different solar system only a few seconds later?

And the janitor knows how to shut it down?
>>
>>64392961

>drawing a suns power

dont they know hypermatter reactors that fit on the executor can make more power than a medium sized star

pfft stupid order
>>
>>64392961

Not only that:

the incredibly vital shield is poorly guarded and a mere Captain has access codes to turn it off, and does so with hardly a fight or protest

this after the prior two Death Stars were blown up handily in the same manner
>>
No, it was Finn's force prescience that we were seeing, not the actual beam hitting all five planets at once. They were all in different star systems.

And it was Phasma who knew how to shut it down, not Finn.
>>
Star Wars is a kiddie show. Don't even think about looking any deeper into it.
>>
>>64392997

That's why to me I think it would make more sense for this to have been created prior to the deathstar but they didn't bother using it since the deathstar was a superior design they decided to use instead. That would explain the weakened empire going to an old base they had pretty much abandoned previously.
>>
>let's just use the force!

I may have vomited a little
>>
File: swfa.png (31 KB, 518x194) Image search: [Google]
swfa.png
31 KB, 518x194
>>
>>64393270

Thanks for pointing out the obvious

>he's literally a meme scientist
>>
>>64393132
>>64392997
Perhaps they need to the energy of the sun to fuel a different kind of reaction with the Deathstar 2.0
>>
>>64393270
I don't get why he wants to criticize the science of a space opera that's not trying to be scientifically accurate in the first place.

Is it just so he can show everybody how smart he is?
>>
>trying to make logical sense of star wars

die
>>
>>64393270
But that's what happened in the movie.
>>
File: AUTISM.png (980 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
AUTISM.png
980 KB, 1280x720
>>64393270
>>
>>64393270
dude liberalism is a science lmao
>>
>>64393362

He isn't actually """that""" smart

the smart scientists are busy actually doing shit instead of being a PhD in twitter fingers

>those who can't do, "teach"
>>
>>64393362

all he's ever done is co-author pluto not being a planet

i still dont know how he because le smug black meme science man
>>
>>64393407
He has a phd in astrophysics.
>>
>>64393337

A base that can't move, larger than the previous deathstars (note more advanced tech is usually smaller), and it needs to charge from an external power source, I see it as a prototype deathstar that has been modded by the first order because of fewer resources
>>
>>64393450

He is not alone in that, or close to it

and with the way affirmative action plays out in academia you aren't even sure how much that qualifies him compared to his peers
>>
>>64393270
NO SHIT, THANKS FOR TELLING US A STAR IS WAY HOTTER THAN A PLANET
>>
File: 1446081611915.png (454 KB, 557x480) Image search: [Google]
1446081611915.png
454 KB, 557x480
>>64393270
wow i had no idea black science man
>>
Since Finn was conscripted as a child and basically forced into service, does that mean he's a janitor who does it for free?
>>
Could the planet move? What happens when they run out of nearby stars to drain?
>>
>>64393507
He has an impressive CV and is probably smarter than anybody here. You can't explain it all away with "lol, affirmative action".
>>
>>64392961
Finn just knew where the thermal oscillator was, you know because it's the name of a building he probably cleaned. He didn't know how to shut down the shields or how to blow it up. After that asian guy said something about so much energy needing a thermal oscillator Finn just says where that is. He doesn't even know how to damage the thing or get through the shield in the first place.

It's like the janitor at CERN knowing where the particle accelerator's fuse box is.
They doesn't know how any of the shit inside of it works, but they know where it is.
>>
>>64393476

Didn't Starkiller Base suck-up two suns in the movie?

It would have had to move to a new system then. There was no sign that it started in a binary star system like Tattooine has.
>>
>>64393507
http://www.haydenplanetarium.org/tyson/curriculum-vitae

How is he not well educated? He has over a several published papers and several books.
>>
>>64393671

We're not the ones trying to make a career out of being a "wise guy." With respect to people of his career and academic path I am willing to bet a lot that he is in the bottom quartile in terms of ability and qualification and has therefore embraced the media personality role instead.
>>
>>64393671
I have never heard him say a single thing I couldn't read on wikipedia
>>
>>64393476
It doesn't need to move because it can shoot across the galaxy, which also explains the size (miniaturization is a thing, but there's a big step between a reactor that can blow up a planet within a system, and one that can blow up 5 different targets from across the galaxy), and being able to successfully draw the energy of a star and reuse it is super impressive.

If they had this 'prototype', the end of Episode IV would have been Vader saying, "We need to wait for the moon to come out of Yavin's shadow," and Tarkin saying, "Nah, let's just paste the whole system, and their fleet too."
>>
>>64393270
oh look its astronegro trying to remain relevant again
>>
>>64393270
This guy must get triggered literally every time he watches a movie.
>>
>>64393654
What happens when you use up the resources in an area? You go somewhere else. Once the First Order has fired a couple times and blown up all opposition, they can go build a bunch of them around the galaxy so they have backups.
>>
>>64393270
>points out something easily explainable by advanced scifi technology
>doesnt point out that there is now no sun for the planet to revolve around
>go back to tweeting about how many black people are dying in global warmings
>>
>>64393770
Well, yes. His job is to explain things at a level that the general public can understand.

That doesn't mean he can only operate at that level.
>>
>>64393791

Not if it couldn't shoot across the galaxy originally and was just a proof of concept, hence being built on a planet rather than building the entire structure, and the hyperspace shot was just a first order mod knowing that if it can't move they need to do that and once the stars it is in proximity to are gone it's essentially useless
>>
>>64392961
>le janitor maymay

Finn was a stormtrooper ASSIGNED to sanitation on starkiller base at a time. Why would they train someone from birth to be a janitor and why would a janitor go in with a raiding force at the beginning of the movie?
>>
>>64393880
Seems like a lot of work to fire a weapon once or twice then completely rebuild a planet into another super weapon.
>>
>>64393362

The universe still has to have grounded physics with internal consistency to one another, or it just seems like some shit a child comes up with on the playground.

For instance, the Death Star's laser is created by focusing giant "kyber crystals" powered by a huge reactor. The kyber crystals are rare and took a long time to fit on the Death Star. This helps ground the universe, and makes it some not just anybody can make a planet-destroying weapon in their back yard.

First Order making Starkiller Base, when they are a small organization, and it having even more power than Death Stars, just seems rule-breaking. It would have helped if JJ's ADHD ass explained how they got it, but he didn't even explain the relationship between the Republic/Empire/Resistance, etc.
>>
why are you trying to make sense of a 2hour toy commercial?

star wars is the definitive proof that this board is filled with plebs and redditors.
>>
>>64393912

Those are great questions the movie failed to address.
>>
>>64393905
Its impossible to remain relevant in a field as fast-paced as theoretical physics from the outside. Hes way behind the times unless hes been in the field within the last 2 years
>>
File: Supernova.jpg (143 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Supernova.jpg
143 KB, 1280x720
>>64393567
It's not just that. It was mentioned here earlier in a topic that's probably dead now.

Stars have a delicate balance between the constant nuclear and hyper-heated palsma forces wanting to make them explode, and the gravity of all that mass holding it all in.

Disrupt that balance, and a star will either explode (and plssibly even go full nova) or implode and turn into a quasar or black hole; either scenario will not only completely destoy the death-star-planet, but also the entire solar system and any neighboring solar systes for a couple of dozen light year.

Plus in order for the planet to get close enough to suck a star dry, the surface would NOT be ice-covered, would have its atmosphere completely obliterated, and most likely the planet would be drawn in by the gravity where it would be destroyed.

Just look at this pic of a supernova and do research to see how their areas can have dozens of stars within them due to the explosion area being so massive.

The notion of just sucking a star until the lights go off is pure retardation.
>>
Did anyone eles notice that the Sun was drained just before Kylo killed Han , symbolising how hes sun was gone.Pretty cool symbolism/pottery tbqhfamalamalamalam
>>
>>64393912
Why would they train someone to be a soldier then assign him sanitation work? He calls himself a janitor, so clearly he wasn't guarding it (people guarding munitions depots don't call themselves quartermasters).

>>64393936
Who says it can fire only once or twice? It consumes the sun to fire, but maybe it takes a hundred shots to drain it. Besides, it's not like they have that many targets that require total destruction.

>>64393908
Building it into a planet just seems smarter than building it from scratch, desu. You just need a place to house the giant cannon, the things that draw in power, and the support structures; you don't have to strip-mine a moon's worth of metal out of how many planets when you can just use one. Also, it's a damn impressive proof of concept for 'big gun', especially considering it is both more powerful and has longer range than the Death Star (and if the First Order could mode a prototype to do that, they're way better than the Empire ever was).
>>
>>64393270
>criticizes a movie that doesn't want to be accurate when something is stupid
>praises Interstellar that really wants to be accurate when it's actually full of stupid shit
>>
>>64394105
It was implied in the movie that one star = one shot. Seems like a pretty fucking big design flaw.
>>
>>64394008
>in order for the planet to get close enough to suck the star dry
OH PLEASE ENLIGHTEN US THE PERFECT DISTANCE FOR STARSUCKING YOU FUCKING ANVIL THIS THREAD IS RETARDED
>>
>>64394001
I'm sure he has friends in fields of study, anon. See, there is this thing called conversation/studies of similar science syntax of data that can easily be read and tested in theory and practice
>>
File: image.jpg (131 KB, 1634x1168) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
131 KB, 1634x1168
>>64393270
>Disproving stuff in a fantasy movie
>>
>>64394182
Ok, so if I go make friends with Stephen Hawking you should believe everything I say and accept I am smarter than you. Fuck off
>>
>>64394001
Its funny, I don't recall the same critiques ever being aimed at Carl Sagan.
>>
>>64394008
>Plus in order for the planet to get close enough to suck a star dry,

They probably used some kind of tractor beam to suck the matter out of the star. Otherwise the Starkiller needed a large gravitational field so that the star would actually orbit it and enter its Roche limit.
>>
>>64394247
If you had a graduate degree in physics and were Hawking's friend, then yes you would be smarter than me.
>>
>>64394151
The novelization says that A) it can't be moved, and since it is going to fire more than once your reading that implication totally wrong, and B) that it only uses the star to jump-start the weapon, which gets most of it's power via dark matter.
http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/111712/how-is-the-starkiller-base-supposed-to-work-more-than-one-time-given-how-it-dra

It's sci-fantasy bullshit, but the upshot is it can park there forever and keep blasting across the galaxy. For what it's worth, the book also makes it clear that it wasn't a prototype, but designed and built by the first order based on schematics from the Death Stars.

Having to use the novelization to explain this shit film makes me feel dirty.
>>
>>64394105

My issue with it being the first order that built it is that it looks like a construction effort that the empire could barely carry out. It's completely unrealistic to think remnants of the empire can built something that big and powerful but would make sense if the empire already built it or at least had partially constructed it.
>>
>>64392961
i guess in reality, they could have simply sucked the energy out of the sun and just bounced on the solar system, leaving the planet without a heat source and forcing them to freeze over, then drift into the darkness of space because they don't have anything to gravitate towards. I think that's how science works.

Couldn't Starkiller have used the energy from the stars to continue to power itself for an indefinite amount of time? Or to figure out how to go into hyperdrive like a ship? I think they under-utilized Starkiller by just destroying planets when there was much more they could have done. Then again, the First Order wasn't very creative.
>>
>>64392961
But what if the sun is drained? Like can you just kill 5 planets and then it's useless?
>>
>>64393270
This idiot calls himself a scientist but has no idea how solar panels work. We are literally draining the sun everyday and liberals want us to double the drainage
>>
>>64393680
>get through the shield in the first place

Just hyperspace through it, bro
>>
File: meme theory.jpg (135 KB, 798x1200) Image search: [Google]
meme theory.jpg
135 KB, 798x1200
>>64394001
>as fast-paced as theoretical physics
The last major breakthrough in purely theoretical physics happened in the 90s
And Tyson is an astrophysicist
>>
>>64394341
That's just shit writing on JJ's part. It's like how all the heroes have apparently abandoned the Rebellion that succeeded and became a Republic instead of working for it so they could go play revolutionaries again against the First Order, which apparently has the same scope and power as the Empire when it comes to tracking people through hyperspace and commanding legions of troops and shit.

It's like they couldn't think of a way to have the heroes work for a stable government, so they just hit reboot and changed the names.
>>
I like how the Starkiller became a new star after it imploded. So now it was like a few million miles closer to the planets. Might have just fucked over a few planets anyways, making them 10' hotter or something. fucking galactic warming.
>>
File: 1442978029369.gif (49 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
1442978029369.gif
49 KB, 300x250
>>64394168
>ANVIL
>>
>>64394484

It is very shitty writing and pretty much makes the OT pointless
>>
>>64392961
I was more perturbed that they said it drew its energy from 'THE Sun'. I'm pretty sure this was so dumb dumb kids could understand how it powered up in case they don't know what stars are but when someone says 'the sun' I take it to mean our sun (the star at the centre of our solar system).
>>
>>64394431
bump
>>
How can they compress the mass of the star under its Schwarzschild radius without causing a black hole or neutron star?
>>
>>64393270
oh no, /pol/tards are stuck between shitting on star wars and it's sjw agenda and hating on black science man
>>
>>64394561
Already covered, retard. Read the thread.

>>64394536
Somewhere Thrawn is shedding a single tear as his totally valid and working storyline is fed into the shredder.
>>
>>64394341

>it looks like a construction effort that the empire could barely carry out

This. Ignoring the fact that it's a shit idea in the first place, it would have made sense if it was a weapon that the Empire had previously been working on and abandoned either before or after their defeat at Endor. But given the movie's desire to rush through everything it wouldn't have even mattered if they crammed that detail in there.
>>
>>64394617
Oh jeez, you found a flaw in the otherwise impeccable science of the movie.
>>
>>64394339

But they sucked the star dry. If the star is "gasoline" to power the dark matter engine, then it should be completely useless now that they've fully consumed the star.
>>
>>64393270

>The Force is ok
>Travelling 1,000,000 times the speed of light is ok
>meme death planet weapons aren't

oh black science negro, you so memey
>>
>make giant planet sized Death Star
>can only shoot twice
>has no way of moving around the galaxy
>shields can be disabled from a remote shack far from the main structures on the planet
>only has a dozen tie fighters to provide for defence
>>
>>64394720
...But they didn't. Star's still there the whole climactic fight, famalam. It only uses a tiny amount of the star (relatively) to power up.
>>
File: grivous reaction.jpg (16 KB, 450x333) Image search: [Google]
grivous reaction.jpg
16 KB, 450x333
>>64394547
>mfw the new star wars is shot in a way that makes it plausible for idiots to believe it happens in ONE solar system
>>
Why did the first Order make 2 man TIEs?
When the stormtroopers called for an airstrike on Jakku, why did normal TIEs just strafe with their regular guns and not send TIE bombers?
Where are the TIE Advanced and Interceptors?
Why does the resistance only have x-wings? Why didnt any y-wings attack the regulator? Or b-wings which are a direct upgrade to the x-wing?
Why are the Republic not fighting the First Order on a galactic scale? Why rely on a resistance that "lost half its fleet" when it lost 10 ships?
>>
>>64392961

Starkiller base is fucking stupid if it can't hyperdrive from system to system and keep draining suns.

The problem is being able to hyperdrive a fucking planet would be the biggest ex machina ever made.

Not to mention that you are so clever that you invented hyperdrive for planets, but then you let the whole planet be destroyed because some fighters pew pew on a little instalation.

The moment these "creatives" came up with the Starkiller idea, they just said "fuck logic".
>>
>>64394801
>Why did the first Order make 2 man TIEs?
Because they thought that the heroes escaping in one of those shuttles would be bad.

>Why aren't the Republic in it
Because proxy wars. Also, the writers couldn't put stuff on an even footing, because they can only think of drama by repeating the OT.

>the rest about missing ships
Because the only ones that average people remember are TIE fighters, X-Wings, and the Falcon, so they used only those and tossed everything else in the garbage, because the movie is only interesting in appealing to your memories and not actually relating to the past movies.
>>
I need TFA camrip pls
>>
>>64394951
Go to the theater you fat slob
>>
>>64394951
sent ;)
>>
>>64394801

>Why did the first Order make 2 man TIEs?
The gunner controls a turret, which means the pilot can concentrate on flying and the gunner can shoot in front and behind.

It's one of the less stupid things.

If you want a REAL plot hole... Tie fighter pilots have to wear space suits because they don't have life support systems. JJ didn't know this.

Poe and Finn, when they exited the hanger, would have suffocated
>>
>>64393078
>And it was Phasma who knew how to shut it down, not Finn.
thats the shield, finn new how to blow it up.
>>
>>64395039
TIEs also didn't have hyperdrives originally, IIRC; they were supposed to be close-range fighters supported by a base/Destroyer.

If they can make a new model of TIE with two seats, they can do one with life support and a hyperdrive.
>>
>>64392961
Finn didn't know how shut it down. He went to capture Phasma and they made her to shut it down. Not sure why she'd do it though.
>>
>>64392961
but finn didn't know how to shut it down
>>
>>64394536
>why isn't every war the last war ever
>>
>>64393877
No. He likes the sport of figuring out flaws.
He complained to James Cameron about the wrong star sky in Titanic.
>>
>>64395126

>Hyperdrive on a fighter

for fucks sake
>>
>>64394008
>either scenario will not only completely destoy the death-star-planet, but also the entire solar system and any neighboring solar systes for a couple of dozen light year.
only the supernova has a chance of doing that, but if our sun went supernova jupitar would live, everything out to mars is fucked.

in a black hole scenario the system loses light and solar energy but the gravity of the star stays the same and the planets move about the same as they were. the gravitational pull doesnt increase, it merely focuses into one spot.
>>
>>64395209
the rebel starfighters have them
>>
>>64395209
To be fair every -wing has a hyperdrive, and the a-wing is a fighter, and the x and b are fighter/bombers
>>
>>64394740
Force is literally magic in a fictional setting where space magic quantifiably exists
Hyperdrive implies traveling through non-regular space or doing something else that cirmunvents the physical limitations relating to light speed
Everything related to the Deathplanet makes no sense and breaks the known laws of physics in insane ways that can't be explained with the setting's internal logic. People on other bystanding planets in bystander star systems can see the mirv death laser being shot across the entire fucking universe or some shit and the laser itself travels at crazy speeds without having hyperdrive.

Internal consistency is a thing.
>>
>>64394623
>thrawn storyline
its decent except for the force sucking lizards, but the entire storyline revolves around those things
>>
>>64395039
>Tie fighter pilots have to wear space suits because they don't have life support systems.

What is the official source for this info, and how do you know the First Order did not put life support in their TIEs?
>>
>>64394785
the new star wars cinematography and editing wise is god damn atrocious.

thank the cunt D.O.P. from Star trek 1 and 2 and Amazing spiderman 2 for that.

plus JJ abrams has no sense of scale. Remember Spock seeing his planet BIGGER THAN OUR MOON explode from that random ice planet?
>>
>>64395209
>knows nothing about starwars
>spouts off uninformed opinion like it matters
yep, normal day on /tv/
>>
>>64395385
They have to cover their eyes to look sufficiently evil.
>>
>>64395351
I didn't mind the force-sucking lizards. I thought the bit about Thrawn developing tactics based on a culture's art was entirely ridiculous.

The work of Picasso wouldn't give you some deep insight into Spain's military.
>>
>>64395332
they said something like the beam travels through hyperspace
sure its shitty writing, sure star wars is fantasy and you can make up whatever you want but why would you destroy your universe with a gimmick like starkiller
>>
If starkiller base fires through hyperspace, why can we see the ree badguy beams?
If Kylo Ren can hold a blaster bolt in place, the strongest use of force we have seen in the films other than maybe Yoda catching and dissipating lightening, how does he get out forcepulled by Rey?
How does the First Order even have a fleet? Why would Kuat keep working with them? They worked with the republic and the empire because they had the funds to pay them. The new order doesnt even pay its soldiers they are brainwashed into doing it for free
>>
File: 1451292267951.png (278 KB, 354x367) Image search: [Google]
1451292267951.png
278 KB, 354x367
So, tell me...

What exactly is so fucking hard to understand about the term "Science-FICTION"?
>>
>>64395277
>>64395319
Which makes sense. The Rebel ships are able to support themselves and move independently, which makes them easy to relocate and attack guerrilla-style, while the TIEs cut that extraneous stuff to be the best possible attack craft. There's no real reason for the First Order to use it, because they (apparently) have the same logistical framework as the Empire, down to the same companies making updated versions of Imperial equipment.

>>64395385
Literally everywhere in the EU, and obviously they must have with the new versions of the TIEs, but it's still a dumb decision in-universe that only exists so that the heroes can fly away in one. I doubt JJ blinked when someone told him TIEs couldn't do that, because he was already breaking the TIE concept for the two-seater.
>>
File: 1449758390003.jpg (421 KB, 1896x1836) Image search: [Google]
1449758390003.jpg
421 KB, 1896x1836
The original sin was committed when they recycled the death star in ROTJ
Or in ANH
However you want to see it.
>>
File: image-4.jpg (780 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image-4.jpg
780 KB, 2048x1536
>>64395277
That is one of the reasons I really like the Y-Wing, its big engines make it look like it was the first generation of ship to have hyperdrive, but the hyperdrive parts were so big back then the engines had to be fuckhuge
>>
>>64395523
Fictional stories grounded in realistic science.
>>
>>64395351
Yeah, but that can also be addressed by not having Jedi and other Force-sensitive crawl out of the woodwork at the rate that they did in the EU. Zahn worked with what he had, which was that apparently no Jedi died in Order 66, they just faked their deaths and wore false mustaches.

>>64395508
I liked that, but I'm a historian and half of my job is taking the artwork and artifacts of a people and trying to reconstruct their culture. It's not one artist, and it's often quite wrong, but it's a neat villain trait.
>>
>>64395523
Its still science fiction not BULLSHIT fiction.
>>
Picking apart Star Wars is stupid because is space fantasy not sci-fi. Do you have to explain why a wizard has magic? No, you just take it with a grain of salt. It's not surprising that a trooper would have some idea of how to destroy a planet he spent a ton of his life on. You should be more pissed JJ created another Death Star.
>>
File: 1310497836236[1].png (386 KB, 667x670) Image search: [Google]
1310497836236[1].png
386 KB, 667x670
>>64393270

>applying real life physics to science fiction
>>
>>64395662
>grounded in realistic science

But that's not the correct definition.
>>
File: 1451668522003.jpg (163 KB, 656x1024) Image search: [Google]
1451668522003.jpg
163 KB, 656x1024
>>64395708
>It's not surprising that a trooper would have some idea of how to destroy a planet he spent a ton of his life on
Do you think the cook of USS Nimitz has a good idea on how to blow up it?
>>
>>64394770

The sky got dark because they extracted all of the plasma from the star. What's left behind is the core.

What's presumably the fuel (plasma) is gone, broseph.
>>
>>64394435
Please tell me you're fucking Memeing
>>
>>64395523
>What exactly is so fucking hard to understand about the term "Science-FICTION"?
Apparently the fact that it consists of two parts: science and fiction.

It's science-fiction, not science-drooling retardition unlike the "just turn off your brain bruh" crowd thinks. Neither it is science-redundant drivel, which is why people are willing to accept very unscientific things like the force, hyperdrives and laser swords. But there's a limit to how far you can take scifi before you jump the shark and it becomes too implausible to handle.
>>
>>64395650
>liking the cuckwing
literally the worst, A wing master race
>>
>>64395820
The cook is militarily trained so yes.
>>
>>64394431

At first I thought it wouldn't drain the entire power of the star because otherwise how could it charge again but then they said "As long as you see the sun up everything's fine" and I then I just turned my brain off
>>
>>64395820
Yes, I do. I would go after the nuclear reactors personally. That would shut it down real quick.
>>
>>64395899
B-wing is best wing.
Then a=x
Then y

THE INCOM T-65 X-WING IS THE FIGHTER THAT KILLED THE DEATHSTAR...
>>
File: BWingsKillISD2-ST.jpg (273 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
BWingsKillISD2-ST.jpg
273 KB, 1280x960
>>64395899
>not appreciating the greatest ship of all

Take a lesson in the ship of the masters, son.
>>
>>64395940
>But there's a limit to how far you can take scifi before you jump the shark and it becomes too implausible to handle.

That's literally ALL sci-fi out there. WTF are you even on about?
>>
File: rip.png (3 MB, 1918x816) Image search: [Google]
rip.png
3 MB, 1918x816
>>64395899
>AllahuAkbar Wing
>>
>>64395919
isn't that the plot of Under Siege?
>>
>>64395953
But we wanted to blow it up.
>>
>>64394435
KenM quality

8/10
>>
File: Hard SF Setting.webm (3 MB, 350x262) Image search: [Google]
Hard SF Setting.webm
3 MB, 350x262
>>64396000
Literally has never read any speculative fiction
>>
>>64396000

wut
>>
>>64396025
Meltdowns are way more fun than explosions.
>>
>>64395992

Does the cockpit rotate around? I remember in ROTJ it was oriented straight up
>>
File: 1428230279566.jpg (40 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1428230279566.jpg
40 KB, 900x900
>>64396054
This is /tv/, why bring literature into this discussion? Are you actually autistic?
>>
>>64393791
>It doesn't need to move because it can shoot across the galaxy
It kind of has to be mobile, because after firing it once (or however many expendable stars there are nearby), it becomes a huge chunk of unusable tech.
>>
>>64396121
Yep, gyro cockpit always faces the same way.
Third best ship in all of the games behind the Slave I and the Falcon
>>
>>64392961
If Finn is a Janitor why does he go to not-tattooine as a soldier?
>>
>>64396025
blowing it up is a job for the fighters
>>
>>64396121
In rebels the prototype has a gyroscopic nonsense on the cockpit (the "wing" spins around the cockpit)
>>
>>64396121
It does rotate, but I don't know why; space has no up or down, they can orient themselves however they please.
>>
>>64392961
Why didn't they use solar panels?
>>
>>64392961

Just turn your brain off ;)
>>
>It is space soap opera
Last time i checked soap operas rarely deal with such scales of conflict
>>
>>64396194
To make sure that the soldiers are only discussing military operations
>>
>>64396194
Both. He's a janitor on Starkiller and a disposable soldier on the battlefield, like any Stormtrooper.
>>
I feel like the complicating of Star Wars is the biggest problem. With the original Death Star, afaik it just shot a laser. No real profound explanation, just a big space station that shot a big laser. It adds no real benefit to the story by trying to explain how a super weapon works, it only serves to cause people to be unable to suspend their disbelief.
>>
Maybe he was a janitor for the New Order imageboard
He would have access to all data
>>
>>64392961
I left the cinema after this scene and asked for a refund claiming that "this movie insults me intelectually and makes fun of science and physics in a way I do not appreciate or approve". They called the manager and got my refund, obviously.
>>
>>64395992
why is it so long on the one wing? doesnt a bigger ship mean easier to hit?
>>
>>64396398

For space aerodynamics, of course.
>>
>>64396398
Ralph McQuarrie probably thought it looked better that way.
>>
>>64396398
Long wing houses the proton torpedoes and bombs. Short wings are the blasters.
>>
my gripes with the movie were that the starkiller laser moved really slowly, but still hit planets lightyears away within like a minute. were they in the same solar system? how does scaling like that work? also, shouldnt phasma have given her life to protect the first order? usually higher ranking people are more dedicated to the cause, you'd think shed be willing to die in order to preserve the base. also tr8-r was really autistic but whatever, its starwars
>>
>>64396503
huh, thats pretty neat
>>
>>64396555
It fires through hyperspace, they said that
What makes no fucking sense is that people can see it
>>
>>64396555
Hyperspace.
The speed is not even the real problem the problem is how the fuck the whole galaxy somehow saw the shots moving in the sky holy shit JJ is fucking stupid.
>>
>>64396555
Dramatic effect. Maybe it opened a hyperspace window at one point then popped out near the planet it was going to 9/11
>>
>>64396614
Yeah if I remember correctly there is also an ion cannon on the long wing and a blaster as well.
So it has an ion cannon like a y wing, bombs like a y wing, proton torpedoes like an x wing.
Its OP as fuck and still somehow cool
>>
>>64393950
>The universe still has to have grounded physics with internal consistency to one another, or it just seems like some shit a child comes up with on the playground.
Sound travels through vacuums and magic exists. Star Wars has always been a fantasy franchise--not sci-fi.
>>
>>64393114
/thread
>>
>>64396714
knowing this just makes TFA even worse. why scrap this ship when its so much better?
>>
So can a le science man explain to me if you hypothetically could drain a star from all it's outgoing energy/plasma can the star's core like re-ignite itself? That way they can use the weapon multiple times. They never explained it in the movie but i kinda thought they were going with that route?
>>
>>64396789
I think the base moves and drains different stars completely
>>
>>64394785

so pretty much like star trek

klingon is apparently like 2ly away, stars are close enough that supernovas threaten other systems, the kelvin is operating like 1200km away from the klingon neutral zone

how anyone can condone such braindead writing that lacks even the slightest semblance of understanding of science of distances is beyond me
>>
>>64396789
No that's retarded, it literally breaks the laws of thermodynamics.
>>
>>64393270
>if you kill a man he dies
>>
>>64392961
The best thing about it is that it consumes the sun it orbits but has not hyperdrive, so once the sun has been completely consumed it's totally useless.
>>
>>64396746

If it's fantasy with no grounds in scifi, it shouldn't be working to try to make an explanation for how its superweapon works. It should work because it was written to.
>>
>>64396555
it made no sense
>visible beam crawls through space
>breaks up into smaller beams
>hits planets close(?) to each other
>beam/explosion(?) visible at the Maz Kanata planet at daylight

it's really more plausible if everything is in one system
>>
>>64396950
Its a downgrade to even the original deathstar in every way. Afaik the deathstar has a hyperdrive, doesn't require a sun to reload, and only needs to hit 1 target to instill fear in an entire system.
Starkiller kills everyone. So whats the fucking point? Blowing up 1 and making the other 4 fall in to line is way better than just saying fuck it, killing everyone and then the entire galaxy is like "the fuck dude, alright everyone band together its time to whoop some ass"
>>
>blows up "planet"
>gigantic sun is now present
>xwings fly out of the "planet"s atmosphere just in time
>being even 1 mile away from a sun would melt you
>>
>>64396950

eh if it can shoot through hyperspace or whatever maybe it can suck up stars through hyperspace

maybe it has a dozen suns in range, and when they're all used up its worthless

starkiller base is mind bogglingly retarded still
>>
>>64396746

your line between scifi and fantasy is pretty harsh
>>
>>64397014
They should keep everything visually intiuitive like the first death star
>it's a space station that fires a laser
>powered probably by some scifi reactor and shit
>laser hits planet close to it
>mobile like a spaceship

But Starkiller:
>it's a planet that sucks on its star to fire
>fires a beam that travels through the whole galaxy and can be seen somewhere else?
>the star is now gone?
>what?
>>
>>64393270
Isn't the fucking point of the thermal oscillator is to prevent that from happening?

and when the Resistance destroyed it, the planet vaporized?

did he even watch the movie?
>>
>>64397235
pretty much, the whole technicality of TFA was just so odd, with such obvious questions being left completely unanswered
I have to wonder why the writers and director were ok with it all, maybe time restraints?
>>
>>64396789

Oh yeah one more thing. Has anyone noticed how small the planets are relatively to the size of the beam fired from Starkiller base?
>>
>>64397332
He didn't say the planet would vaporize EVEN with a thermal oscillator.
He was perfectly right since in the end the planet did vaporize.
>>
>>64393304
He literally is.

He came to my university a few years back and a literal rockstar couldn't generate the amount of people waiting in line to see him. People were crowding in and around to hear this man speak.

He then proceeds to give a 3rd-grade-tier lecture on the solar system and craters on the earth filled with a bunch of unbelievably corny jokes. I left 20 minutes in when I realized it wasn't going any deeper. He's memier than Bill Nye at this point.
>>
Pretty sure a star doesn't give you enough power to even kaboom a single planet like they do in the movie.
>>
>>64395776
it is, you retard.

dont mistake it for science fiction FANTASY.
>>
>>64397679
Our sun has enough energy to fry all of the inner planets
>>
>getting this bent over a fucking space-fantasy where nothing is grounded in known science
>>
>>64395748
>science fiction
this isn't science fiction.

read some arthur c. clarke or something and you'll see what i mean.

this is space opera
>>
>>64393114

Unacceptable. Original Star Wars uses that force thing - you know, the space magic that allows characters to react to things thousands of light-years away - to deal with the superweapon's use being detected. Plus Leia witnessing it. TFA just goes 'Fuck it, everyone can just see it happen from the planet they're on, because...because'.
>>
>>64396054
>Light redshifts as it flies away
It's details like this that tickle my autism, what anime?
>>
>>64392961

And nobody took notice during its construction? Or tried to sabotage it?

Actually, how did an Imperial Remnant faction even get funding for such a weapon?
>>
File: planetsizes.jpg (30 KB, 500x312) Image search: [Google]
planetsizes.jpg
30 KB, 500x312
>>64397679
haha what
>>
>>64397379
the whole movie made a lot of use of expositionary technobabble, It's actually worse than any star trek movie

>starkiller has plot-relevant shields
>millenium falcon can circumvent the shields by going through hyperspace
>Starkiller shoots through hyperspace
>falcon has stupid shit installed that needs to be uninstalled or it explodes
>it leaks poison gas
>you make it leak poison gas again because Stormtrooper gas masks can only filter smoke not gas
>>
>>64393270
I want to pants this nerd lol
>>
>>64392961
The book description is a lot better, the energy it was drawing in was DARK MATTER.

The film made no sense, the base is meant to be a planet converted into a weapon, yet they destroyed their own star to shoot the weapon.

SO EXPLAIN HOW FINN KNEW WERE THE BASE WAS? IF THE WEAPON USED THE STAR'S ENERGY, THEN HOW DID THEY USE IT THE FIRST TIME?

MAKES NO SENSE.

PLOT HOLE
>>
>>64396789

No, but something sorta like this happens in binary star systems where the extinguished core will attract the gas from the still-burning partner star. It won't re-ignite into a full blown star but it will cause an explosion called a nova.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova
>>
>>64397948
>Yeah that was pretty dumb
>ANYTHING could circumvent the shields by travelling at hyperspeed. Never done before because jesus look they almost smacked into the fucking planet doin that.
>Plot weapon, still better than the EU.
>Stupid shit was installed by stupid owners, uninstalled by people who know better. SEE ALSO: "I put the air intake closer to the engine so the air doesn't ahve to travel as far to it despite the fact that now the air is hotter and thus less effective"
>It leaks poison gas because the fucking motivator is a piece of shit and was probably damaged by Rey's shitty flying or previous owners bullshit
>Why protect against biological threats when almost nobody uses them as offensive weapons anyway. Its expensive and unneeded. Besides the visual dictionary says the stormtrooper suits have hookups for air tanks, so they're CAN, but not in all cases.
>>
Why did R2-D2 conveniently wake up after the rest of the movie was over?
>>
>it leaks poison gas
>you make it leak poison gas again because Stormtrooper gas masks can only filter smoke not gas
Your fucking refrigerator leaks poison gas. It's not hard to imagine a spaceship does too.

And it's already established movie canon that stormtrooper/clonetrooper helmets don't filter well without an outside source of oxygen. They have limited use in outer space if you hook them up to an oxygen tank.

Smokes are solid and can be filtered easily, but toxins can be gaseous and pass right through.
>>
>>64398064

2 shots and its done, I guess. Stupid idea, i know.
>>
>>64397801
>>64397903

Sure, you can burn the surface away, but you aren't going to vaporize/fragment the thing at many, many times faster than the escape velocity of an Earth-like planet.
>>
>>64397948
which is retarded, even in the clone wars they were able to filter quiet a few gases, not all of them, but a lot.
>>
File: 2353467435.png (39 KB, 624x333) Image search: [Google]
2353467435.png
39 KB, 624x333
>>64393270
>A burger scientist is more interested in making sure everyone knows how smart he is than actually doing science.

Not surprised, this is basically just a reflection of how shallow American 'culture' is. In the UK, our meme scientists aren't massive autists and can enjoy a film like a normal human being.
>>
>>64393270

>disproving science in a film that literally has space wizards
>>
>>64398064

Pretty sure they made the planet itself into a movable battle station with its own environment sustained via artificial means.
>>
If the shields don't stop anything travelling FTL, why don't they just get an unmanned vessel and crash it into the base at lightspeed? That would do the trick.
>>
>>64398189
The film and the book are different, the book explains it brilliantly, it uses Dark Matter and the Star.

The Darkening was meant to be from the Dark Matter, not from the Sun going dark.

Face it, the base was destroyed so these question don't have to be answered in the future, seeing that the base is gone.

Terrible storytelling, ruined that part of the movie for me when I watched it first.
>>
>>64398224
Is Brian the best meme scientist
>>
>>64398288

>le Dark Matter meme

Which is shitty storytelling too
>>
>>64398169
The plot needed him to
>>
>>64398280
Yeah? Then how did Finn know whereabouts it was? He said he trained there and gave the rebels the location.

If the weapon uses up the Star's energy, then it would have to move on.

But then Finn wouldn't know where it is.

IT MAKES NO SENSE.
>>
>>64398322
It made sense though, there was linear logic to it.
>>
>>64398358

If the environment is artificially generated, it needn't move on.
>>
>>64398341
>The Force needed him to
There, ftfy famalam.
>>
>>64398288

Dark matter.. okay (rolls eyes). What the book explains and what's literally shown on the screen are not the same. Why the fuck would they do that? And now the sky getting dark makes less sense lol

Furthermore, I refuse to spend more money on the novelization to have questions answered that the movie shouldn't have fucked up in the first place.

Sigh...
>>
>>64398461

The force is made up of plotichlorians
>>
>>64398219
The total energy output of the Sun per DAY is 100x higher than the gravitational binding energy of Earth.
>>
>>64398286
If they have the plans to the deathstar (why would they delete them?) then why didn't they just build their own deathstar to kill starkiller base?
>>
>>64398629

But, it's not the same level of kaboom as we see in the film. Not to mention the "laser" has to enter and exit hyperspace, and kaboom several planets.

A planet going up at 100 times its GBE is going to be quite slow looking.
>>
>>64392961
What would even be the point of destroying the rebel world. Leia's forces clearly had 17 X-Wings, if they defeated those X-Wings, why even bother destroying the Rebel base with such an expensive weapon shot?

Probably better more valuable targets than what is clearly a decommissioned Royal Air Force base.

They could send one of their two Star Destroyers and launch their 4 landing craft.
>>
>>64392961
From the same brilliant mind that brought us Red Matter, polar bears in the tropics, magnets have time-travel properties and more.
>>
>>64398719
It's a space opera/action flick. It's supposed to look cool more than anything else.
>>
>>64398308
yes because he's young and fresh and listens to the rock music
>>
>>64398660
The death star needed extremely rare crystals of significant size to function.
>>
>>64393132
Or, you know, JJ could have drawn on old lore around the Celestials and unknown regions and explained the base by saying it was an ancient Celestial contraption discovered out in the unknown regions by the First Order.

Because the Celestials made all kinds of fucking stupid shit, the Vulpter array, Centerpoint Station, the Maw, the Unknown regions themselves.

But nah, just rip off some of the EU, don't go too deep or the normals might get lost.
>>
>>64398288

I honestly just thought at first they were just losing light because of the clouds. That made some more sense thatn whatever other bullshit handwaveyness they've actually used then
>>
>>64398660
Desthstars take like a decade to build. They would have never finished it in time
>>
File: star_trek_large.jpg (49 KB, 679x373) Image search: [Google]
star_trek_large.jpg
49 KB, 679x373
>>64398288
>it was all because of the Dark Matter

Shit this fucker is such a hack he has to steal from HIS OWN movies.
>>
>>64394001
/pol/ is this mad
>>
>>64398841
>>64398803
Where the fuck was their contingency plan?

If any real world rebel group actually succeeded, you know they'd be developing the top of the line WMD right away just in case the empire ever came back.

It makes no political sense for them to still maintain a military but not make a deathstar. Literally any nation would.
>>
>>64398902
>hey mom I insulted that board I don't like again!
>>
>>64393791

The point of the Death Star was the threat of force. It can sure as hell blow up a planet, but it's more about the threat of its presence. The Empire wasn't going to use it at whim. They needed to demonstrate its power and then word of it would do the work it needed.

The mobility of the Death Star was its strength and served its primary purpose.
>>
>>64398719
The total energy of the Sun is enough to vaporize 1,000,000,000,000,000 Earths, remove a zero or two to account for bigger kabooms.
So in the end the Starkiller Base is extremely inefficient with its power usage since you only need a small fraction of a star to blow shit up.
You gotta remember these things burn for literally billions of years, it's an unfathomable amount of energy.
>>
>>64398741
They shouldn't have had a Starkiller in the first place. Destroy the city-planet with some other mobile weapon system or bomb or poison or whatever, then attack the Leia-planet with the star destroyer and let the X-Wings destroy the star destroyer.
>>
>>64398955
They didn't have one lol.
Why do you think the resistance did all the fighting in the movie? The galactic republic no longer has a standing army. Even though the clones were a plan by Sheev, if it wasn't for them the seperatists would have won in a month. Same with the first order, only they got plotted to death before they just wiped out the Republic
>>
>>64393270
Thanks for the spoiler you dip scient-man
>>
>>64399006
Well having a clever story or a really cool scary sequence like a bunch of Death Stars commencing orbital bombardment with high-grade nuclear weapons would be too awesome and not Star Wars-y enough for Star Wars.

Someone try to prove that a giant ship in orbit around your planet raining death in the form of house-sized nuclear missiles that plow into the earth and turn cities into craters is not scary and awesome.

Why do the ayyy lmaos always waste their time coming down to Earth, and why does it their artillery always have to be in laser form.
>>
>>64394435
we need to realize this before we fuck our whole solar system
>>
>>64397859
Gunbustah
>>
Is JJ even a big fan of the franchises he fucks with? Like, did he ever do an interview in his 20s or during Lost where he said he loved Star Trek/Wars, he watched the originals like a bajillion times and would love to take a crack at them one day. Because now he's done BOTH and patricians seem to agree they are dogshit. The Star Trek reboot is merely ok. I don't even have the desire to see TFA again because it feels pointless, I literally got everything out of it from one cold viewing. Into Darkness was lmao.
>>
File: 1362423509715.png (24 KB, 740x328) Image search: [Google]
1362423509715.png
24 KB, 740x328
The laser scene was great though, esp Kylo Ren watching it from the window
>>
>>64399200
Am, am, the weapon turns the planets into small stars, seems to be overkill, but that is the fate of the planets it attacks.
>>
>>64399367
And that's what is important
>>
>>64399350
Im 100% positive most people in this thread could have come up with a better plot for TFA even if we considered all EU stuff off limits.
Hes a hack that can make a decent action scene
>>
>>64399109
>They didn't have one lol.
That's exactly what I'm complaining about.

You wouldn't overthrow the United States and then not make a bunch of nukes.
They basically had it handed to them on a silver platter and still refused to do anything.

They had 30 years to develop something that only took the empire 3.
Even with the reduced priority and resources, they should at least have a cannon up and running to deter any empire remnants.

There's no political logic here.
>>
>>64399397
But that makes no sense because planets do not have enough mass to become stars. All rocky planets like the ones most of Star Wars critters live on have way too many heavy elements to ever be stars, regardless of size.
>>
>>64399016
This. Why do they think a large ball shooting a large laser is the pinacle of impressive destruction scenery ? Show a city attacked by 15-20 star destroyers descending into athmosphere at the same time, TIE fighters and commando barges everywhere, that would be 100x more awesome.
>>
>>64392961
>And the janitor knows how to shut it down?

he got tired of doing it FOR FREE
>>
Guys, but they finally used an actual star for warfare.
It is truely a star war.
>>
>>64399474
That is the fate of the planets. It made sense with Dark Matter.

>>64398288
>>64398358
>>
File: 1313419597682.jpg (30 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
1313419597682.jpg
30 KB, 800x533
>>64399405
It's a movie scene about a planet turned into a giant laser that can kill other planets and drain suns

Looking really fucking awesome is definitely more important than being "scientifically accurate".
>>
>>64399569
I'm glad we agree
>>
>>64399504
Can you imagine how awesome that would have been? TIE fighters zooming between buildings carpet-bombing the streets. Star Destroyers in the atmosphere with the city at scale in the shot so you could see just how MASSIVE they are. Stretching from horizon to horizon. Blotting out all sunlight.

But this is JJ so they would probably look like tiny planes in the sky.
>>
>>64399617
Oh me too, I thought you were being ironic

I am sorry for my tone
>>
>>64395101
No, the resistance scientist guy knew how to blow it up and Finn knew where the vital target was
>>
>>64399410
>>64396263
>>
>>64398224
>:-)
What a fucking cutie
>>
>>64399566
Dark matter doesn't even exist, it's just a shitty way of saying "we don't know where this mass comes from and we are too afraid to say that our calculations and theories are incorrect."
>>
>>64399569
>>64399367

But that laser scene was extremely meh. The original Death Star laser was green and it blew up Alderaan in a couple seconds. Instead this slow-ass laser (which remarkably covers the distance between solar systems despite moving at sub-light speed) takes like a solid 90 seconds and a dramatic music cue to finally blow something up. Excuse me, 5 somethings, because TFA is all about copying ANH and turning it all the way to eleven.
>>
>>64399569
Umm this is a series of movies where the very first movie pretty much begins with a giant floating ball having enough energy to vaporise a planet in a process that took five seconds from beginning charging to planet has completely disappeared there aren't even any fragments left. Nobody has ever complained about the death star getting that energy from nowhere, solely because it looked cool.

Tfa has problems. This isn't one
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.