[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>that kid who liked blasters more than lightsabers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 11
File: Prequels in a nutshell.gif (4 MB, 680x408) Image search: [Google]
Prequels in a nutshell.gif
4 MB, 680x408
>that kid who liked blasters more than lightsabers
>>
>>64386872
.gif reminds me of fencing classes where the instructor had to remind the students that the goal of thrusting was to hit your opponent's chest, not their sabre
>>
>>64386872
>ywn dance at this discotheque

;__;
>>
File: mac its always sunny.png (193 KB, 425x287) Image search: [Google]
mac its always sunny.png
193 KB, 425x287
>>64386955
It's a very specifically choreographed move. I'll show it to you later.
>>
>>64387289
Sounds wonderful!
>>
>>64386872
>Lucasfags defend this
>>
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 500x500
>tfw dumpstering kids with guns and rocket launchers in jedi knight 2 when they just used the lightsaber
>>
>>64386872
is this a real scene?
>>
>>64389135
Yes
>>
>>64386872
>that hologram walking across the side of the screen, doing nothing other than distract from the action
Heh.
>>
File: partyhard.gif (937 KB, 517x349) Image search: [Google]
partyhard.gif
937 KB, 517x349
>>64389135
Oh yeah.

Here's the video explaining it all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0mUVY9fLlw
>>
>>64389584
that's some great editing. Very funny video, thanks for that man.

I still love that scene despite all that retarded obvious shit. Hell I imagine a realistic sabre fight would last 10-20 seconds.
>>
>>64389584
My fooking sides.
>>
>>64386872
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b2s8XrRfGM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wL-zp8Z5Ss

you fucking kids. Kali does that. You're matching your opponents attack blow for blow, hit for hit, parry, parry, parry, but that point just flew over your heads. Both opponents knows the other's attack. they're virtually matching each other's blows and hits. any of you watch the cartoon samurai jack? well for the most part, samurai and his doppelganger was evenly matched. each twirled and attack and dodged and parried with the very same swiftness and caner.

notice the grandmaster versus a senior grandmaster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSy_xBIS6PI
>>
>>64389834
That videos been around a while - I've never been able to watch the prequels since. Can't stop seeing it now. Not just in SW too, any film with bad weapon choreography.
>>
>>64386872
Magical sword weilding knights with precognition, who both know eachother's moves down to a T, s swinging their sabers around is somehow useless.
>>
>>64389862

youre a fucking embarassment
>>
>>64389862

This is how delusional you are. This is choreographed action. Meaning they aren't meant to hit each other in real life, and it looks really shitty because they are missing very obviously. It isn't some stupid form of combat, it isn't precognitive whatever, it's just shit.
>>
>>64389834
The idea is that since they're both force users and can predict each other's moves constantly and are guided by their attenuation to the force, the fights unfold differently since they're not reacting via sight and reflexes.

Obviously the realer reason is that it looks flashy.

Let's be honest, the prequel saber battles are, mostly, excellent to watch. The Maul battle at the end of Episode I is among the best fight scenes ever put on film.

Yeah the moment in OP is slightly goofy.
>>
>>64386872
They're wizards whose minds are fucked while fighting one eye in the present one in the future
>>
>>64390010
>it isn't precognitive whatever
Do you know literally anything about Star Wars?
>>
>>64389900
One thing I credit them with, is at least the action is clean. I always think about Tony Zhou's "Jackie Chan - How to Do Action Comedy" as the benchmark for action scenes.
>>
>>64390049
do you believe they were choreographed that way for any other reason than people like seeing them spin their lightsabres around wildly?
>>
PS if you take literally any action movie and grab a combat scene and loop it as a gif it will always look a lot worse than when seeing it in-context.
>>
>>64386872
>For years this gif has been posted with no words attached, because the flaws are so apparent that nothing needs to be said, and the comedy speaks for itself
>Some fuck thought he was so clever for figuring out that this clip, that gets posted all the time because everyone knows it's stupid, was shit, and thought he'd share this discovery with the world
>Slap THIS IS USELESS on it so that drooling sheep know the joke
>9gag praises your contribution
>>
>>64390119
That's just false
>>
>>64389834
they're not normal people though. their stamina and strength not to mention durability would out last the world's best athletes times five.

Anakin and Obi Wan fought in an Ocean sized Volcano over several miles leaping several dozen feet at a time. the strength and stamina alone is super human. that's why Palpatine blasted Yoda's saber out of his hand, heir saber battle would have had them at it all day.
>>
You guys know Anakin trained under Obi Wan and their style was practically 1:1, right

hence high ground being the delimiting factor
>>
>>64390119
find me a scene from The Raid or 13 Assassins that's anywhere as bad as that.
>>
>>64390178
Oh I just mean, one slip of the saber, one unguarded attack, ignoring athleticism. And the fight is over.
>>
File: 1451704579341.jpg (31 KB, 320x352) Image search: [Google]
1451704579341.jpg
31 KB, 320x352
>>64389584
why don't people put this autistic amount of attention to the original trilogy fight scenes?

At least the 'overrehearsed' aspect of the prequel fights can be explained by the jedi and sith having precognition, minor telepathy and super fast reactions.

What's the explanation for the slow cumbersome spinning of obi wan in ANH? Or Vader awkwardly getting into position and standing still while Luke beats him in ROTJ?
>>
Obi vs sheev?
Yoda vs Anakin?

Why not just have both Obi and yoda attack sheev, anakin would be easy to pick off.
>>
>>64390046
Step up is excellent to watch as well.
>>
>>64390010
yes because they don't use sweeping round houses or arches at all and everything they do is like pointy fencing, right?

>>64390010
apparently you're confusing the way we fight with the way they duel. it's their canon, in their universe and those are the rules, "you use huge arches and you do sweeping round housing and half orbital come backs and parries."

don't confuse our time and our forms of battle with those from Long Long Long time ago in a Galaxy, far far far away, fighting style.

>>64389977
the canon fighting you saw are the only moves allowed. so do you like a boxing, conform to the rules of engagement or do you switch it up and decidedly unleashes a furious kick boxing attack to Evander Holyfield's skull?

>>64390222
remember when Anakin used that ability to avoid danger? well let's ignore the fact for the moment that he crashed several pods and had to get good even with that ability to avoid danger...okay poor analogy, remember how look used the force to tell him the time when to pull the trigger. well imagine there's something inside that tells you when to parry or counter or move or dodge or replicate said attack flawlessly in order to defend against it, well that thing all force users has...but those who has trained with it, like Anakin, could pilot a pod racer at break neck speeds. but only after you would have crashed several racing pods and have your mother forbidding you to try again and watto, your wasp alien snoozle nosed boss complain that you'll work for him for the rest of your life because you''ve only managed to ever crash his pods.
>>
>>64390178
This is the cop out fanboy reaction. Yeah, all that time they spend actively trying to hit sabers and not each other is just a demonstration of their extreme force capabilities?

Get the fuck out and go back to reddit
>>
>>64390375
>remember how look used the force to tell him the time when to pull the trigger. well imagine there's something inside that tells you when to parry or counter or move or dodge or replicate said attack flawlessly in order to defend against it, well that thing all force users has...but those who has trained with it

Oh right, I see what you mean now. Yeah I totally forgot about that. So the winner of the fight is basically the one who is weakest with the force?
>>
>>64390460
they're looking for an opening. In fencing, not every blow is meant to be a killing one. You don't want to overextend yourself, open yourself up for a counter-attack.

>go back to reddit
reddit is full of 30 year old manchildren complaining that george lucas raped their childhood.
>>
>>64386872

TFA has a lot of great blaster action and not so much lightsaber action

thats kind of why I like it

I could easily have seen them pulling some bullshit where lightsabers or some non-jedi equivalent weapon were everywhere
>>
>>64390178
Vader was exhausted after parrying two or three strong hits from Luke at the end of ROTJ, but sure, Stamina isn't a concern for Jedis and Siths.
>>
>>64390539
the star wars subreddit is actually full of prequel apologist, you should try it some time.
>>
File: call of duty american freedom.webm (3 MB, 360x640) Image search: [Google]
call of duty american freedom.webm
3 MB, 360x640
>>64386872
must have been this guy
>>
File: dwarf.png (141 KB, 296x301) Image search: [Google]
dwarf.png
141 KB, 296x301
>playing Jedi Outcast
>have to go through like 5 levels of just blastering a thousand stormtroopers until I get the lightsaber
>the level right after that is a huge open space
>with snipers on every balcony
>who shoot rays that you can't defend against with the lightsaber
>who can hit a moving target; can't run past them
>have to sit there sniping everyone with the disruptor rifle
>>
>>64390539
>they're looking for an opening

No they're not. If they were in that scene in 3 when they're both twirling their sabers, one of them would have just stabbed the other in the gut
>>
>>64390460
No. those are the rules. for all we know the arches and the sweeps and the broad swings are to confuse your force sense, maybe if you're too close to your opponent, say, if you were to try and use defendu or something the force sense your opponent would have because of close to the hilt, imminent danger could be considerably more potent. maybe the larger sweeps is meant to confuse your force sense.

>>64390492
No one was more potent in the force than Anakin was and even he wrecked several pods before he got good. So it's a mixture of natural talent and training. in the second film Anakin fenced but didn't do much else other than go on missions that could involve using his saber. It wasn't until the two year long clone wars that Anakin surpassed Dooku. Constantly fighting daily made for a better fencer. And yet Anakin was still ignorant to the living force. He knew the pratical aspects of battle, namely the melee, and the fencing and the force push and pull, the choke, but when it came to using the force in lieu of air or having a good nights rest to recharge. Sheev stopped sleeping and having to rely on the dark side to do more for him grew his dark side sense, considerably. Anakin kind of fell off until he fell in lava. Then and only then, thanks to the Force in espeically his sense of the Dark Side, Anakin willed himself to survive.

His hatred played a part in that too.
>>
>>64390641
Luke was now channelling the same dark side power that Vader could channel. The emperor was impressed. He sensed a power from Luke that was akin to Anakin's so he felt giddy all over.
>>
>>64390261
Vaders like 60 at this point and the suit makes him weaker, thats why
>>
I'm gay!
>>
>>64390730
>he was that close to them aiming a gun at someone at point blank and nobody noticed
holy shit
>>
>>64389959

Magical precognition blah blah blah. Every time one of them dies it's because they let themselves get hit by a really slow attack that anyone could have stopped.
>>
>>64389584

the only marginal excuse for this i cant think of has to do with vague jedi precognition, with one waiting for the other to twirl wrong
>>
>>64391101
and yet the Emperor said, "Your Hate, has made you Powerful!"

For all of Vader's weakness, his cybernetics wasn't weak. And that nonsense of him being weak is just that, nonsense. Dude was incredibly powerful in the force, doubt of his life choices aside of course.
>>
>>64386872

how were the lightsaber battles in episode 1 better than the ones in 3
>>
>>64391451
Well although superhuman they're still mortal so when their Clones turned against them, there's surprise and shock and, "what's going on, why are you doing this?" if you'd remember, Obi Wan only got away because of the slimmest of chances. If there were dozens of clones surrounding him, Obi wan was a goner for sure.

Yoda sensed danger and acted as only an old Jedi strong in the force could.

Interesting side not, Kylo Ren was the strongest force user since Sidious because he could force freeze. he sensed the attack coming at him and froze it and the guy who fired it.

Mary Sue Rey be damned for existing at all in that movie as a Mary Sue.
>>
>>64391554
the ones in Episode 3 was epic. the fight alone between obi wan and anakin on an ocean of lava was impressive.
and that music...my gosh that music.
>>
>that kid who you shoot with a blasters but he says he had a shield
>>
File: cheeky cunt.gif (2 MB, 241x371) Image search: [Google]
cheeky cunt.gif
2 MB, 241x371
>>64386872

wasn't the reason for this part due to how similar both anakin and obi-wan's fighting techniques were? If they thought of the same move at the exact same time, it's what would happen no?
>>
>>64391578

eh chock it up to obi and anakin being in tune or some shit, after spending 20 years as master/apprentice
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-02-00-06-23.png (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-02-00-06-23.png
1 MB, 2560x1440
I don't think this is worth making an entire new thread for this but I am a complete Star Wars newcomer. Besides all of the major bullet points of the original trilogy, and some stuff I've seen in the Robot Chicken specials, I know pretty much nothing

Is it worth it to take this unique opportunity to watch every movie in sequential order? Or just stick with release order?
>>
>>64391800
Watch in release order for maximum enjoyment. Sequential order will just make every film look bad.
>>
>>64391800

release order makes more sense for numerous reasons

the only other order that seems logical to me is 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6
>>
File: Yojimbo 4.webm (3 MB, 720x306) Image search: [Google]
Yojimbo 4.webm
3 MB, 720x306
Its because George stopped watching glorious Nippon samurai kinos and started watching disgusting Chinese Wuxia flicks
>>
>>64391688
Aiming at each others sabers instead of their bodies and missing entirely? In choreography world maybe.
>>
>>64391646
>he didn't have a shield penetrating blaster
>>
>>64391800
just watch in release order
>>
>>64391800

just skip the prequels and check out some of the supplementary material instead if you still wanna see what was going on
>>
>>64391849
So "Machete Order" plus Episode I?
>>
>>64391994
He should watch the prequels so he can get his own opinions on it.
>>
>>64392824
>not helping a bro out by advising him not to waste 7 hours of his precious life watching fucking badly written, badly acted and directed cgi garbage
>>
>>64391913
Funny you mentioned that. Japanese and Taiwanese /Hong Kong directors & actors worked a lot and got influenced by each other's shit.

Taiwanese/Hong Kong Cinema got certain motifs from Chambara films (i.e. Ninjas for no good reason, That slash-nobody-moves-one-guy-drops-dead style dueling.)

While Japanese cinema got introduced to the weird and wonderful world of wire fu and the hiring of acrobats for stunts. Which greatly improved ninjas in Nip movies.
>>
>>64386872
>millennials defending this
Muh precognition, muh martial arts, muh cool flashy sword skillz.

Why do I get the feeling everyone who defends this garbage has a broomstick that they swing around in their back yard and pretend they're a sith?
>>
File: 300x300.jpg (26 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
300x300.jpg
26 KB, 300x300
>>64394158
I'll fight you irl.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.