[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did this shit become the highest grossing film ever? I was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5
File: Avatarjakeneytiri.jpg (105 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
105 KB, 500x281
How did this shit become the highest grossing film ever? I was in 6th grade when it came out and I could not believe people enjoyed this shit.
>>
I was in 7th grade and I thought it was better than anything by Kurosawa or Welles.
>>
>>64384160
>>64384196
Ew, what's with all these little kids?
>>
>>64384160
>2016
>being in grade school

Come back when you're older, kid
>>
hype from Titanic
hype from 3D
generic simple plot characters environment etc, translates well to multiple cultures
although it was over-hyped it was at least competent, and hard to hate, (or form any strong opinions on)
>>
Why do we have to have a "why was Avatar successful?" thread every day?

Two reasons: 3D technology was new (and made tickets more expensive), and it presented a world that wasn't shit to people who never saw one before.

That's literally it.
/thread.
>>
Based Jim
>>
Uncomplicated escapist fantasy that came out at the right time.
>>
>>64384160
3 FUCKING D

thats the only reason
>>
Breaking news: Force Awakens about to beat Titanic

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/01/star-wars-force-awakens-box-office-titanic
>>
>>64384297
It did use 3D VERY well, to be fair.
>>
The better question is: If Avatar can be so successful, how did Pocahontas almost kill Disney when they are basically the same story?
>>
>>64384325
>>64384297
>>
>>64384346

But the 3D wasn't even that good
>>
It was the flagship movie for a new generation of 3d technology. That's how it felt at the time, anyway.

sincerely, 20 years old in 2009
>>
>>64384322
I honestly think TFA has a good chance to beat Avatar at this point. It's keeping great momentum.
We'll see if it slows down the next few weeks.
>>
>>64384325
No, this isn't a better question. It's actually a totally asinine question that assumes the same plot means the same movie.
>>
>>64384367
It looked great.
>>
File: millennial-disease.jpg (47 KB, 500x314) Image search: [Google]
millennial-disease.jpg
47 KB, 500x314
>>64384241
>>
>>64384367
nigger when Avatar came out the 3D was 11 outa 10, it was like watching a movie in color for the first time
>>
>>64384430
This guy gets it.

It was very enveloping visually.
Wondering how the sequels will up the ante visually.
>>
>>64384367

the following 3D film was the CLASH OF THE TITANS post-conversion. that should put things into perspective for you.
>>
>>64384474

released as Oculus Rift exclusives
>>
>>64384160
>third-world people literally on suicide watch afterwards because they didn't want to go back to their shitty existences
>why was this popular?!

Gee, you got me.
>>
> mfw didn't see Avatar in cinemas
> mfw first time I saw it was on a fucking 12 hour bus tour on a mini screen and I thought it was shit
> mfw second time I saw it was at school and I thought it was boring shit

I love Titanic but Avatar is boring shit to me, that 10 minute bird tame scene hot damn...

Maybe because I was younger when I first saw Titanic? Think I was 8 or 9.
>>
>>64384668
I saw it in 3D the first time and thought it was amazing.

I watched it again at home and thought it was garbage.

The 3D literally made the movie.
>>
>>64384501
Why would they shoot themselves in the foot like that? At least pick an actually decent VR device.
>>
>see Avatar four months after it came out
>Wednesday afternoon IMAX
>theatre 75% full, mostly old people
>mfw shills think TFA will beat it
>>
>>64384421
I hope your retarded ass realize the millennial demographic includes people as old as 35.
>>
>>64384702
Kinda regret missing out on this "event" of some sorts by not going to see it but I was flabberghasted at the tickets costing 12 euros a pop.
Nowadays that's not even expensive for 3D "premium" movies anymore, just was Mockingjay in 3D with my family and it literally was 16€ per person because we saw it early, we booked tickets online which cost more and because it was a "special" movie.

I think I've been to the cinema 6 times in 2015 and two times were sneak previews.
>>
File: Star Wars Vs Avatar.webm (3 MB, 608x342) Image search: [Google]
Star Wars Vs Avatar.webm
3 MB, 608x342
>>64384430
>>64384474
the sequels are gunna be 48fps, i wonder how they'll market it if they want those billions again.
>>
>>64384546
>third-world people literally on suicide watch afterwards because they didn't want to go back to their shitty existences

really?
>>
>>64384421
>voting for Obama makes you political
Politically moronic.
>>
>>64384893
In the first two shots I was amazed at the editing skill in this webm but then I remembered space ships were already part of Avatar.
>>
>>64384893
>somebody made this

omfg
>>
>>64384421
>We are smart
>40 percent of us are in college

And about half of them don't need to be there. I've got to imagine that to a potential employer, having a bachelor's degree is much less attractive now than it was 20-30 years ago, due to how many idiots are piling into the college system.
>>
Everyone went to cinema to see it in 3D.

I was in it with my school video course.
>>
>>64385314
A college degree really doesn't mean what it used to, but that doesn't mean it means nothing.
>>
>>64384322
>We're never gonna beat Titanic. No one can.
GEORGE BTFO
>>
>>64384160
The vast majority of people on Earth have Mediocre IQs. So of course they love shit.
>>
>>64384893
Hard to imagine the sequels reaching the financial level of the first. There was zero hype for the first one (except for cameron fans in general) and it just blew up because of word of mouth.
I have faith in Jim. He always delivers entertaining movies. Even if they are generic as fuck.
>>
File: Avatar.webm (3 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
3 MB, 1600x900
>>64385731
i remember talking to the ticket guy at my cinema about Mad Max Fury Road, he said in the first week not many people showed up but the week after there was practically a crowd that showed up. word of mouth really is the best form of advertising these days which is why i hope these sequels actually have a good original story and the 48FPS actually does blow minds like Cameron is promising.
>>
>>64385939
what gaem?
>>
>>64385990
It would be fucking amazing if games looked like that.
But even with the knowledge game companies would still have the visual design capabilities of a dead monkey so it doesn't really matter.
>>
>>64385939
>48FPS actually does blow minds
lmao I can't believe moviefags are still stuck in 24 fps.
>>
>>64386072
24fps showings shouldn't even be allowed imo, digital projects can play 48fps at no extra cost to cinemas yet they charged more for it in the Hobbit.
>>
File: When_We_Wuz_Bangin'.jpg (201 KB, 400x398) Image search: [Google]
When_We_Wuz_Bangin'.jpg
201 KB, 400x398
>>64384160
IT's WE WUZ ....The Movie

And people always liked the "noble savage/underdog" meme.
>>
>>64384421
>we are religious
>we are the least religious
>>
>>64384668
you have to be immersed to enjoy it, a shitty tiny screen won't do that.
>>
>>64384160
>>64384196
I was graduating high school. No wonder why this board went to shit
>>
>>64384322
>domestically

>>64384325
Good question, Cameron is the better Story Teller.
>>
>>64384893
This is the best thing I've seen all year.
>>
>>64384421
>We are completely ignorant of how the world works like every other generation of young idiots that wanted to change it before us.
>>
>>64384160
Because it looked fucking amzing for that time. and that's pretty much all you need to put asses in seats
>>
Underage b&
>>
>>64386045
looks like a cutscene from ps3 game
>>
I've still never seen the movie. I was 22 when it came out.

It looked fucking stupid then and it still looks stupid.
>>
>>64388404
Name 1 game where this happens.
Only pre-rendered cutscenes by Blizzard come close to this kind of quality.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.