[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do people actually believe this is better than the prequels?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 212
Thread images: 21
File: Star_Wars_The_Force_Awakens.jpg (9 KB, 200x135) Image search: [Google]
Star_Wars_The_Force_Awakens.jpg
9 KB, 200x135
Do people actually believe this is better than the prequels?
>>
>>64383994
no
>>
>>64383994
Well it was basically ANH with better effects, so yes.
>>
>>64383994
yes
>>
Rational people tend to believe facts so yes.
>>
>>64383994
It is. The OT was about four friends going on an adventure and saving the galaxy. TFA mirrored that formula.
>>
>>64384734
>>64384736
>>64384756
>>64384782
Hello, Reddit!
>>
You're judging one movie vs three. We can't say for sure until we see the entire trilogy. On a technical level it's much better made but that's the most that be said for it.
>>
>>64384756
>Implying most people are rational
>>
>>64384793
fuck off back to reddit
>>
>>64383994
Most people do.
It's depressing the prequels get railed on and lines like "droid, PLEASE" and scenes involving daisy Ridley trying to act.
>>
>>64384793
>b-but if i call them reddit, that means i'm right! r-right guys?
>>
>>64384793

>if I call other people reddit, they won't know I'm from reddit!
>>
>>64384888
>It's depressing the prequels get railed on
hello, reddit
>>
File: Contrarian Faggot Reported.png (421 KB, 1417x888) Image search: [Google]
Contrarian Faggot Reported.png
421 KB, 1417x888
>>64383994
>>
File: 1419871345888.jpg (121 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
1419871345888.jpg
121 KB, 604x604
>mfw trolls and contrarians now love the prequels and their only argument for why the prequels are better are
>REDDIT
>Go back to reddit
>Only redditors like TFA

Here comes the obligatory "go back to reddit" from the next poster who thinks it's funny to type that. Pro-tip, I've been here since the LOST days, most likely longer than you have.
>>
File: Episode 2.jpg (182 KB, 1916x808) Image search: [Google]
Episode 2.jpg
182 KB, 1916x808
>>64383994
>Do people actually believe this is better than the prequels?
Yes.
>>
>>64384993
>LOST days

You like Lost? No wonder you like shitty JJ-made films like the Farce Awakens.
>>
>>64385081
This shot is a million times more cinematic than any of the TV-tier shots in TFA.
>>
File: treason.gif (617 KB, 664x550) Image search: [Google]
treason.gif
617 KB, 664x550
>Prequels were considered so bad they became memes
>TFA comes out, revisionists suddenly appear and now the prequels are good
>>
>the director of EP8 LITERALLY said that he loves the prequels

prequelhate fags btfo t-b-h
>>
>>64385102
Point to me where I said I like LOST. Otherwise, continue having no reason as to why the prequels are better than TFA.
>>
>>64384993
Well, for a while they were trying to defend the prequels based upon the overall plot and all the ideas on display.

They stopped that once someone realized all those arguments apply to jupiter ascending as well.
>>
>>64384795
OP asked about that one film, though. And it is better than the three prequel films.
>>
>>64385185
>JJ shilling disney products
Yeah, so? They still make money selling them
>>
>>64383994
Its only better than The Attack Of The Clones.
And Herslag is vastly more hot than Ridley.
>>
>>64384993
Prequels have better music, cinematography, fight scenes - basically better everything except script and special effects.
>>
File: image.jpg (97 KB, 1536x650) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97 KB, 1536x650
>>64385081
>>64385126
Don't forget this scene

https://youtube.com/watch?v=05dT34hGRdg

Fucking beautiful.
>>
>>64385270
JJ isn't the director of EP8
>>
>>64383994
Everyone except /tv/
>>
>>64383994
Do people actually believe anything could be worse than the prequels?
>>
>>64385270
Rian Johnson, actually.
>>
>>64385290
Who the fuck goes to a concert to watch fish swim in bubbles?
>>
>>64385326
Someone who wants to underline what they're saying with sperm imagery.
>>
>>64383994

It was not offensively bad, but it als had nothing that made it stand out. A rehash fans are glad about that it's not absolute trash, but in 10 years from now it will be the most forgettable Star Wars Film of all. Fuck it's already forgettable. Everyone I talked to about the movie said they can barely even remember what happened
Depending on how barebones and empty the next two movie are gonna be of course
>>
>>64385284
You call jumping around doing spinning tricks in CGI backgrounds as better fight scenes? You call shots like
>>64385290
>>64385081
having better cinematography?

No John, YOU are the pleb. Absolutely shit taste, as expected from contrarianfags and revisionistfags.
>>
>>64385400
Hello, Disney shill!
>>
>>64385310
It's gonna be shit, especially considering all the rumours about it being "weird". I seriously don't understand this choice of director. Calling it now, hipsters are going to consider the next episode as the best.
>>
You have to understand one thing: For all the shit the prequels get, most of it is from people who didn't watch them when they came out, because they were too young. These are the people who missed out on both the original trilogy AND the prequels.

They copied the hate for the prequels to fit in with the jaded autists who are now in their 40s.

So for those people, it's their first star wars release that they are actively part of, so they HAVE to like it, it's like "shit, I wanna belong to this fandom, because I missed the two previous trains". So they blindly hype it, completely ignore all flaws. They're forcing themselves. And they'll defend this movie to the death. Every reviwer that uses phrases like "the first good star wars movie since 19xx" falls into the same category of youngsters who have no taste.

These people, from a subconscious fear of never really being part of this fandom, are now praising the movie to be the next coming of christ. Everyone who isn't still shitting their diapers and can actually judge the movie objectively will tell you: This one is the worst of the bunch.
Yes, worse than the prequels. It's like a chinese knockoff of star wars, bearing nothing that made the previous 6 movies charming (I say charming and not good, because they were both good at something, but not at the same thing". The only thing this has in common with star wars is the title. It's blatant nostalgia fanwank down to copying most of the plot from ANH, ripping off all major setpieces and shoehorning an "epic phrase" ála "i have a bad feeling about this" in the dialogue every 2-3 minutes.
Do me a favor and watch the prequels when you have the time again, just do it, and try to note how much they relied on recalling the original trilogy. It's not a lot. That's why the prequels, while having a different focus than the OT, succeed as a movie series. This movie does not.
>>
>>64385461
>Damn, can't call him reddit now
>B-better call him a shill!

How does it feel having no good arguments to support your feces? How does it feel being inferior to me? You are trash, son.
>>
>>64385504
And for those that did watch them, watched them at a young age, whether in their childhood or teen years. They liked them then because they had undeveloped brains and taste.

Now they're respectable adults that aren't blinded by nostalgia and can understand why the prequels were not good.

Continue on with your desperate bandwagon theory, though.
>>
>>64385400
The action in TFA was horrible. The final assault on Starkiller was just an incoherent, boring mess. The highlight of the action was the trick shot with the broken turret after emerging from the wreck of the Star Destroyer - which should have been a compelling setpiece but instead became a boring corridor to fly down.

The lightsaber choreography tried to avoid being as static as the OT or flippy-flippy hyperactive as the PT and ended up being boring and unremarkable. There's no excitement and hardly any tension.

Also aside from a few money shots which I suspect was purely the work of the cinematographer (such as Rey climbing out of the Star Destroyer, the X-wings flying out of the sunset or Kylo looking up at the Snoke hologram) the cinematography was hardly better than a made-for-tv movie.
>>
>>64385395

Fun Game: Ask your friends what their favorite scene of the new Star Wars movie was. Most will probably struggle to find anything memorable in the movie, except maybe Starkiller base blowing up the republic
>>
>>64385644
That's easy.

The credits, so that I could finally leave
>>
>>64385504

>try to note how much they relied on recalling the original trilogy

The whole series recalled the OT all the fucking time. Hence the "pottery" meme, Lucas desperately tried to tie in every little thing to something in the OT, just like Jango Fett being shoehorned in for the sole purpose of "oh look, that's Boba Fett's dad!". Not to mention "Anakin Skywalker was born and raised in Tatooine? That's the same as his son, Luke Skywalker the main character of the OT, as he was also born and raised on Tatooine and was also taken by Jedi to fulfil his destiny".

Seriously go back to reddit and join one of them circlejerk threads they have.
>>
File: file.png (269 KB, 567x960) Image search: [Google]
file.png
269 KB, 567x960
>tfw within a few decades some enthusiasts will make a fixed version of the prequels while fixing bullshit and garbage dialogue
>>
>>64384793
Okay saying "reddit" should be bannable by now.
>>
>>64383994
My wife's son thinks it is
>>
>>64385644
>>64385672
Credits will do fine.
>>
Well, in terms of acting, character, humour, and storyline (don't care if it was rehashed or not, it kept me entertained throughout)
>>
>>64385715
>"Anakin Skywalker was born and raised in Tatooine? That's the same as his son, Luke Skywalker the main character of the OT, as he was also born and raised on Tatooine and was also taken by Jedi to fulfil his destiny"

How else could it be if Luke's fucking uncle is also from Tatooine?
>>
>>64383994
No, it's just as bad.
>>
>>64385748
There already is.
It uses japanese dialogue or something so it can be rewritten using subtitles.
Someone recommended it here on /tvt/ but I couldn't watch it for longer than 30 seconds because it literally started with Darth Maul's fight instead of the Star Wars crawl.
Prequel haters are THIS stupid.
>>
>>64383994
I do, yes. Would you like to discuss it further or were you just curious over whether we existed?
>>
>>64385811

>Luke's uncle is from Tatooine

Do you mean Man who has no blood relation to Luke Skywalker or any Skywalker?
>>
File: kills the star wars.png (109 KB, 1588x217) Image search: [Google]
kills the star wars.png
109 KB, 1588x217
It does a great job of completely destroying the star wars universe
>>
>>64386048

>Implying this isn't POTTERY on America's and Russia's nuclear arming and the cold war
>>
>>64384756
Actually no.
In a series of studies in 2005 and 2006, researchers at the University of Michigan found that when misinformed people, particularly political partisans, were exposed to corrected facts in news stories, they rarely changed their minds. In fact, they often became even more strongly set in their beliefs. Facts, they found, were not curing misinformation. Like an underpowered antibiotic, facts could actually make misinformation even stronger.
See more at: http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2010/07/11/how_facts_backfire/#sthash.xAqsx7cB.dpuf
>>
>>64386048
>>64386106
I'm pretty sure it was inspired by the V-2 missile.
A revolutionary long-range weapon known as the "vengeance weapon" because Nazis used it as retaliation for Allied bombings.
>>
>>64386106
Lucas does pottery

JJ just copypastes like the hack he is

He also established that you can now just warp past shields
>>
You can say what you want about Lucas, but at least his Movies were not boring.
>>
>>64386297

I'd fight with you over that with the AotC It always makes me fall asleep.
But TFA is also incredibly boring
>>
>>64385531
>in this moment, i am euphoric
>>
yes. it's also better than return of the jedi, and frankly, it's just as enjoyable as a new hope
>>
>>64386297
Yeah. The prequels may not have been as polished as TFA but they kept me glued to my seat throughout. Meanwhile TFA had me going "that's it?" throughout.
>>
>>64386345
Your baits hold no power her
>>
>>64386297
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
>>
>>64386251
Shields were always inconsistent as fuck in Star Wars.
>>
>>64386354
Honestly I was just hoping for the next Kylo Ren scene during the entire movie, literally the only interesting character.
>>
>>64386334
In AotC you could at least make fn out of the dialog during the Movie. Bad movies can be their own kind of fun. That's why i watched every Resident Evil part in the cinema with my buddies.
>>
>>64386345
ignore, do not reply
>>
>>64386384
All the technobabble felt very much like star trek.
>>
>>64386384
Please provide examples
>>
>>64385126
do you even know what cinematic means. If anything the shot you were replying to is TV-tier
>>
>>64383994
midichlorians
>>
>>64385290
I never understood how that weird, globular mass with things swimming in and out was an "opera" or "ballet" or whatever the fuck Lucas called it.
>>
>>64386722
pleb
>>
It's weird how Disney pushed the "better than the prequels" meme so fucking hard. Almost every shill journalist had that line in their review, without any explanation.

Anyone who "hates" the prequels is just bandwagoning. What a dull opinion.
>>
>>64386460
Do YOU know what cinematic is?
The claustrophobic shit in TFA is smartphone-tier.
>>
>>64385128
underrated post
>>
>>64385128
>Prequels were considered so bad they became memes
>TFA comes out, It's neither remarkebly good or bad, just boring.
fixed
>>
I still can't believe they got the guys from the Raid to come in... and then get eaten in seconds by a CGI tentacle monster in a completely unnecessary scene. In the credits they were named as choreographers for a "freighter sequence". Choreographing what exactly? There was no fight unless you count that single badly-filmed punch Han threw.

Fucking JarJar.
>>
>>64383994

It's a 8/10 movie. Prequels at their best are 5/10.
>>
>>64387117
>it's a 5/10 movie throughout. Prequels at their best were 8/10 and 0/10 at their worst, averaging to around 3/10

fixed
>>
>>64387107
>JarJar Abrams
I should've known.
>>
File: image.jpg (75 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75 KB, 600x450
>>64387117
>>
>>64387117
>Prequels at their best are 5/10
That's extremely generous.
>>
The 'Empire'/New Order/whatever were total morons
Palpatine was smart, he manipulated politics and economies from the shadows through aliases and kept his dark side power level hidden very well
Supreme Leader Snoke just wants to use a giant laser planet that looks like a 10 year old designed to 'harness the power of "the sun" (which sun?)'
It is totally dumbed down, most people don't even understand what Palpatine did to become supreme chancellor and then eventually emperor - I find villains more interesting when they are playing people off against eachother to weaken them and then strike, not some stock evil doer that blows up planets, JJ doesn't have an original bone in his body, at least one good thing about the prequels were that we got to see Sheev working the Senate from the inside and organizing false flag attacks on himself in order to gain sympathy votes - far more interesting than WE HAVE THE ULTIMATE WEAPONNNNNNNN cliche/trope thats been done to death in every Disney/Marvel "bad guys must be very obvious and evil and even the people on the bad side know they're on the wrong side", the message is basically telling kids "hey if someone is bad it will be in your face and they won't try to hide it from you" , at least Palpatine taught us to be more skeptical of those who gain power through sympathy and diversionary tactics
>>
>>64383994

Do you actually believe it isn't?
>>
>>64387117
sup RLM?
still confused over the Trade Federation and don't know what a Vote of No Confidence means?
>>
File: CK7q5azUcAAfHyd.jpg (19 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
CK7q5azUcAAfHyd.jpg
19 KB, 600x600
>>64386297
>>
>>64383994
The fact that Hayden Christensen is nowhere to be found in the new movie already makes it better than the prequels
>>
>I've got a bad feeling about dis XDD
>THIS IS THE MILLENNIUM FALCON, YOU'RE HAN SOLO?
>C3P-0 cockblocking Han again
>the training ball in the falcon
>trashcan robot
>worshiping Darth Vader's mask (totally ignoring that he turned back to the light before he died)
>Luke's saber that he lost on Bespin magically is back
>Kneeling before a hologram of Snoke just like Vader would with the Emperor
Yet not one fucking mention of Sheev Palpatine the ENTIRE movie, he was one of the worst tyrants of all time and was killed by his apprentice and you're telling me he left no legacy behind? Had no followers? Jesus at this point the expanded universe and the novels are master pieces compared to this failed imitation
Ep. 8 better explain how Snoke gained control of the First World Order and what happened to the emperor's cultists or else it is confirmed prequel-tier
>>
At least the prequels could be considered whole movies. You could watch a single prequel film and be satisfied.

The Force Awakens might as well have someone say "Wait for the sequel to find out how this happens."
We've gotten to the point where movies have fucking dlc now. Anyone who enjoyed TFA is approving of this.
>>
>>64387750
>totally ignoring that he turned back to the light before he died
You think it's unrealistic that events which transpired in the presence of only 3 people wouldn't be widely known to everyone else in the fucking galaxy?
>>
>>64387407
>most people don't even understand what Palpatine did to become supreme chancellor and then eventually emperor

And no one who saw the OT did either. Nobody would know this until they saw the prequels.

You're saying Palpatines character development over 6 movies is more interesting than Snoke's over one movie? Yeah, no shit. Are you unable to realize this?

>bad guys must be very obvious and evil and even the people on the bad side know they're on the wrong side

Snoke chose Kylo Ren because he has both the light side and the dark side in him. He's not clearly "very obvious and evil."

>far more interesting than WE HAVE THE ULTIMATE WEAPONNNNNNNN cliche/trope

And the OT did this not once, but twice!
>>
>>64387505
>>64387505
>The fact that Hayden Christensen is nowhere to be found in the new movie already makes it better than the prequels
The fact that TFA has Daisy Ridley already makes it as bad as the prequels
>>
I really enjoy reading all this hate about the prequels from the same people that praise Palpatine as the ultimate villain. Somehow, they do not seem to notice that without fleshing out that his character got in the prequels, he would be just another big bad (and old) guy that wanted to rule the galaxy through conquest.
>>
File: 50 cent dislikes this.png (129 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
50 cent dislikes this.png
129 KB, 300x300
Is /tv/ the most pathetic userbase on 4chan? The contrarian mental gymnastics regarding Star Wars: TFA is incredible and at the same time absolutely loathsome.

The constant denial, backtracking and moving the goalposts.

>"TFA will be shit! Fucking Jew Jew Abrams, fucking nigger main character, fucking SJWs! People won't accept this! It will be worse than the prequels and a total flop!"
>Trailer drops. Record pre-sales, screenings booked out months in advance. Hype incredibly high.
>"I-i-t'll still be a flop! Guaranteed to be shit! Phantom Menace sold well too before people realised it was shit! N-nigger character!"
>TFA releases. 5 star reviews, record opening day. People love based Johnny B's performance, and he's very well received.
>"o-ok it might not be as bad as we thought, but it's still not going to beat Jurassic World! Disney are finished!"
>Beats Jurassic World, despite being released in off-season and no Chinese release.
>"J-just wait until based RLM eviscerates it for being A New Hope ripoff in a Mr Plinkett review! You'll f-fucking see then Starfags!"
>Mike loves it. RLM approve and think it has saved the Star Wars franchise from the prequels.
>"FUCKING SHIT FILM, MARY SUE JEW SHIT. PREQUEL LOVE THREAD. WHO FUCKING LOVES ATTACK OF THE CLONES? I DO. REVENGE OF THE SITH WAS BETTER THAN ROTJ. BASED GEORGE LUCAS. WELL AT LEAST TFA WON'T BEAT AVATAR, I FUCKING SWEAR TO GOD PLEASE."

The mouthbreathing basement dwellers who strive to be contrarian have been backed into a corner really, they started so verbose. So confident that the film would be a flop, not break any records and would be panned by critics. Slowly as TFA has BTFO them on every conceivable level, they've been reduced to adopting some bizarre cult-like contrarian attitude to the prequels, proclaiming them as underrated gems, and trying to push some kind of narrative where if TFA doesn't beat Avatar, it's somehow failed, despite already being a record breaking movie and saving Star Wars.
>>
>>64388005
>Snoke chose Kylo Ren because he has both the light side and the dark side in him. He's not clearly "very obvious and evil."

How do you know this?
>>
>>64387750

>LOL, who's Palapateen? XD
>>
>>64387859
Agreed. /tv/ is trying to be edgy by nitpicking every single story point in TFA to sound like they have any clue about storytelling or star wars in general.
>>
Yes, everyone apart from contrarian fucks on /tv/
>>
>>64388048

>caring about records

Literally who does this, you're just measuring normie popularity and marketing success
>>
>>64388048
>think it has saved the Star Wars franchise from the prequels
So Mike is a retard? I thought as much
>>
>>64388053
Some of the backstory between Snoke and Kylo in secondary sources says Snoke chose Kylo because of his affinity to both the light and the dark side.

>Snoke believed Ren to be an ideal embodiment of the Force: a focal point of both the dark and light side.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kylo_Ren#Personality_and_traits
>>
>>64388269

>picking someone who's flippant and likely to switch sides

hurrrrrrrrr
>>
>>64388048

/tv/ was indeed BTFO to levels previously unseen on this entire site. However, you're getting far too frustrated over it. /tv/ always has and always will be the shittiest board on this site and the user base that's dug in its heels about TFA are just the top baiters on /tv/ who've United over this for whatever reason. I'd guess they're the same base group that pushed baneposting and TDKR hate.

Point is, i understand the annoyance but if you just watch their threads and laugh and ignore its all good. The best part of it all?

Baneposting is basically dead now. They found some other bullshit to spam.
>>
>>64388017

Sheev is just a meme m8
>>
>>64385504
Nice ctrl+v brah
>>
Hating the prequels = Reddit

Appreciating the prequels = 4chan

Thinking The Force Awakens is a real Star Wars movie = Facebook
>>
>>64385326
>>64386722
P O E T R Y
O
E
T
R
Y
>>
>>64388655
perfect post, agree 100%
>>
>>64388343
This to be honest
>>
>>64388655
this t b h f a m
>>
>>64388655
Hello, Reddit
>>
The Empire Strikes Back >> A New Hope >> Return of the Jedi = Revenge of the Sith >> Attack of the Clones = The Phantom Menace >> The Force Awakens

Discuss.
>>
File: 1360918718476.jpg (15 KB, 209x202) Image search: [Google]
1360918718476.jpg
15 KB, 209x202
its actually just as garbage as all the other star wars movies
>>
>>64383994

>Forced jokes
>similar pattern to Episode IV
>uninteresting characters

Every Star Wars film except IV and V acts like it was made intentionally to target larger audience and that ruins artistic expression, seriousness and natural flow of the film.
>>
>>64388005
>And the OT did this not once, but twice

in the 70's and 80's. and they weren't literally rehashing something form the series for a third time. oh wait, it's planet, so i guess it's different
>>
>>64388788

Put AotC at the bottom and you're right
>>
>>64388048
TFA was shit f.am
>>
>>64383994
kinda difficoult to judge: as movies prequel are all god aweful in every possible way (expect music), while VII is at least decent
but prequels are something original, while Force is a gloryfied fanfiction

they are both bad in different things
>>
>>64388343
>being this buttblasted about differing opinions
>>
>>64384993
go back to reddit
>>
>>64388948
You can't possibly believe that VII had better fights than the prequels
>>
>>64389145
>>64386872
>>
>>64389300
at least i know what the fuck is going on lol
>>
>>64389145
to be fair VII is basically a IV remake, and obiwan vs vader fight wasn't so great.
And since it would be unfair to compair it to 3 movie, let just use phantom menace.
qui-gon vs maul is kinda cool, but it drags on for too long ( same problem in III with Anakin vs Obi) and Obi vs maul is really stupid in his ending
so yes, VII have better pacing in fights
>>
>>64389339
This

>Finn slashes Kylo and I have no idea how or why
>Rey seems to cut off Kylo's hands? But no, his limbs are intact and it's just a scratch across the face
>>
>>64389145

7 was weird in that some of the action was great and some of it was dogshit. the space combat in particular was boring and unmemorable
>>
>>64389354
Pacing is all VII has in its favor. Its lightsaber combat is completely unmemorable.
>>
>>64389396
>the space combat in particular was boring and unmemorable
Was there any? All the spaceship stuff I noticed was in atmospheres.
>>
>>64389354
>>VII is basically a IV remake
Stop saying this. They have some similar plot elements but that's it.
The story in TFA is really underdeveloped and has nothing but loose abandoned loose threads.
And also, fuck that panning shot on Jakku. All I could think of was GEORGE LUCAS SPECIAL EDITION
>>
File: le ebin sin.gif (2 MB, 540x242) Image search: [Google]
le ebin sin.gif
2 MB, 540x242
>>64389438
How about Adam Driver's ebin spin?
>>
>>64389396
Actually I thought the only highlight of the film, action-wise, came early on with the flight on Jakku. It was actually moderately interesting and had some good tension going on, especially with the climax and how they had to find a way to utilize the broken turret. After that all the fights were completely forgettable. Passable and with no "the fuck is this shit? moments' like the prequels, but no "huh, that was cool" moments like the prequels either. The final assault on Starkiller Base was also a joke.

>>64389440
Poe and Finn's initial escape.
>>
>>64384946
but reddit is not contrarian they are conformists
>>
>>64389539

the starkiller fight was really really bad but i liked most of the fight by maz's and finn vs kylo was good
>>
>>64388788
>Return of the Jedi = Revenge of the Sith
You're 13 years old, or an idiot.
>>
>>64389590
Why did you think the Finn vs Kylo fight was good?
>>
>>64383994
Yes

The issue I have with the prequels is that is overall is a story about events.

The OT is a story about characters. TFA is a return to that form. The events matter less than your interest in the characters. So in my opinion it's overall better.

What I WONT SAY now is that it's overall better than 3 movies. It's better than A Phantom Menace. You can't realistically compare one movie to 3.
>>
>>64389654
Yeah, Sith is at least 1 tier above Jedi.
>>
>>64389660

excellent visuals/sound. showed a non force user use a lightsaber for the first time. felt like actual combat. ren was going through some shit so i was interested what was happening with him. finn's completion of the journey from the start of the movie where ren looked at him and contemplated killing him right there
>>
>>64389539
I mostly agree. I think my overall feeling about every scene was, "well that could have been better."
Honorable mention to the visions "now it calls to you" scene. That was possible the only scene I felt was neat
>>
>>64389707
>You can't realistically compare one movie to 3
Why not? If it's better than each of them, how could it not be better than all of them?
>>
Why didn't they just fly a transport into Starkiller at light speed? It would completely destroy anything it hit. Why isn't this a tactic, especially considering that ships are known to operate under autopilot while traveling through hyperspace?
>>
>>64389740
>that moment with the Knights of Ren in the rain while Rey is suffering from the visions

I will be fucking triggered if we don't have a badass fight scene featuring them using their disparate weapons in VIII or IX. Maybe the guys from The Raid can be put to good use then.
>>
>>64383994
We did it Reddit! Strong womyn lead in a major sci-fi!
>>
>>64385758
it should just filter to
>i am retarded and have no argument
>>
>>64389739
>excellent sound
Agreed
>excellent visuals
Kylo's flaming saber going against the clean blue saber was nice, but I think the camerawork and overall framing could have been done a whole lot better. As it were it felt a bit too sterile, I didn't feel the tension or the menace of Kylo going up against an untrained guy
>showed a non force user use a lightsaber for the first time
Finn already used one against the riot control trooper. I'm not sure why this is a positive.
>felt like actual combat
Which is ironic given that Kylo is clearly not taking the fight seriously (turns away from Finn when he's downed, etc).
>ren was going through some shit so i was interested what was happening with him. finn's completion of the journey from the start of the movie where ren looked at him and contemplated killing him right there
That doesn't really have much to do with the fight itself, only the moment preceding it.
>>
>>64389881
>TFA is epic and the prequels suck!!!!!
>Hello "I am retarded and have no argument"

Sounds good.
>>
>>64389660
>Why did you think the Finn vs Kylo fight was good?
Because I cared about the characters, and the fight properly conveyed the extreme danger of two people swinging lightsabers at each other.
>>
>>64389881
hey reddit
>>
>>64389948
Fuck off I am retarded and have no argument
>>
>>64389387
>I watched a shitty cam
>>
>>64389985
I watched it in cinemas. The DP seemed obsessed with shooting the action from angles where you couldn't clearly see what was happening.
>>
>>64383994
Its far better than the prequels. Its enjoyable, but many plot conveniences
>>
File: 1451406243234.jpg (301 KB, 699x1211) Image search: [Google]
1451406243234.jpg
301 KB, 699x1211
I really wouldn't recommend seeing The Force Awakens. I'd probably consider it worse than the prequel trilogy at this point.

The movie us too safe. The plot is almost exactly the same as A New Hope, but without any of the charm that the characters in ANH had.

Rey is a Mary Sue of the highest degree, and never has to face any problem she can't solve in a few minutes. Finn really serves no purpose. Kylo Ren is not a threatening villain, apart from the opening crawl. Where Vader was a mob boss, Kylo Ren us a school shooter that blares Evanescence and Linkin Park 24/7. It's pretty bad when the best character was a storm trooper with a stun baton.

Where humor was attempted, it takes you out of the movie, rather than flowing with it as in previous installments. It's the same humor as any other cookie-cutter movie made today, and those cookies are getting stale.

There's all sorts of references to the original trilogy that make the movie feel like its supposed to be a parody, not a sequel. These references, of course have nothing to do with lore or world-building. Instead, they reference parts of Star Wars you'd know from browsing your News Feed, so you don't have to see previous movies to get them.

On top of it all, the movie can't stand alone, and that's one of the biggest failures a movie can have. The references ensure that you must have some (though not extensive) knowledge of Star Wars prior, and the plot leaves you with questions that won't be answered until the next episode is out.

Oh, and the soundtrack was lackluster. I'd be more forgiving if it had a track on par with Duel of the Fates or Binary Sunset, but it doesn't.

It's a bad movie, but it's not even an enjoyable sort of bad like those SyFy original movies. It's just disappointing.
>>
>>64390080
tl;dr

A movie by plebs, for plebs
>>
>>64389770
Well it is better than all but I think it's inappropriate to compare one trilogy to another when it only has one film.
>>
>>64390080
This image is based off the leaked script, rather than the finished film.
>>
>>64387407
>'harness the power of "the sun" (which sun?)'

They literally show the sun they're getting power from
>>
>>64390080
>Rey is a Mary Sue

Not really, bitch runs out of water, has to scavenge for food, got abandoned on a desert played by (REDACTED), has to fight thugs coming after her droid and is like "fuck off" when it comes to taking Lukes saber.

There's plenty of conflict with the character of Rey.
>>
>>64388788
This is only true for the german dub, with original voices AotC belongs at the bottom.
>>
>>64390382

>runs out of water , has to work for a living
>conflict

choose one
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 600x429) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 600x429
>>64390382
>>
>>64383994
Everyone else in this thread is retarded so I'll just say it: it was undoubtedly better than The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, and fairly better than ROTS. The prequels were shit aside from ROTS which was nothing more than mediocre. Maybe a year from now we'll look back at TFA and call it mediocre, too, but as of right now its preddy gud. Has it's flaws, but it definitely feels more like a Star Wars movie than all three of the prequels. The only thing that made ROTS even a smudge more tolerable than ep I and II was the final two duels and the ending that set up A New Hope. Other than that, the prequels were nothing like the original trilogy. TFA, while its fresh and new and has its own share of problems, it still managed to feel more like the original trilogy than the prequels, and that made it good for SW fans. If you still like the prequels more, you're either baiting or a retard.
>>
File: Sherlock.gif (3 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Sherlock.gif
3 MB, 320x240
>>64390382
All this effort for a shit bait
>>
>>64388048
Copy pasta material. Absolutely perfect! Thanks for this anon.
>>
>>64388048
I'll save this post for later usage
>>
File: goggins.jpg (66 KB, 900x470) Image search: [Google]
goggins.jpg
66 KB, 900x470
>>64383994

Luke Skywalker, gave his Lightsaber to A NIGGER?
>>
>>64387750
>Yet not one fucking mention of Sheev Palpatine the ENTIRE movie, he was one of the worst tyrants of all time and was killed by his apprentice and you're telling me he left no legacy behind? Had no followers?
That's for episode 8.
>>
File: miss him yet.jpg (472 KB, 1102x600) Image search: [Google]
miss him yet.jpg
472 KB, 1102x600
>>64383994
Only the blind
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 210x339) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 210x339
>>64383994
>>64384717
>>64384793
>>64384888
>>64385126
>>64385278
>>64385284
>>64385290
>>64385504
>>64385641
>>64385644
>>64385824
>>64386251
>>64386297
>>64386354
>>64387150
>>64388788
>>64388800
>>64389145
>>64389396
>>64390080
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5919C8DE6F720A2D

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL56E3EB1DFD4B64A2

https://youtu.be/ABcXyZn9xjg
>>
>>64383994
NO
>>
>>64383994
unfortunately people believe its better than Avatar... this gay earth fucking sickens me
>>
>>64390260
and still fucking accurate
>>
>>64395313
Avatar was afwul. Literally computer monsters plus pocahontas in space, and pocahontas isn't even the best children disney movie.
>>
>>64385126
You would fail a cinematography course anon.
>>
>>64395421
never seen it

but Avatar was beautiful, the concept of reincarnation and the way it was handled delicately was great and the merging with creatures was a great idea, I've never seen that before, nor have I seen a fully fleshed out world, but I have seen deserts over and over again with the odd jim henson bird pecking at a bone carcuss in many movies and 2bh Avatar btfo out of tfa, you're in total denial
>>
>>64395313
>implying that avatar is a good movie

kill yourself senpai
>>
>>64385081
great shot love these movies, everythingLucas did to build upon the originals and make the world more interesing the universe rather and jr jar abrahms goes back and retroactively fucks everything up, pathetric
>>
>>64395567
fucking great movie way better than anything thats come out since, maybe not Tron Legacy but came close, tfa was weak, literally a sequel to his star trek
>>
>>64385395
>>64385644

>but in 10 years from now it will be the most forgettable Star Wars Film of all

No that honor will go to whatever film knee jerk reaction faggots like you arbitrarily decide is the most forgettable 10 years from now. It depends on how the movies turn out. If the next 2 movies are god tier, people will retroactively rate TFA 10/10.
>>
Can someone please call me reddit
>>
Because millenials never watched the old SW movies or only know about SW of that Family Guy episodes.
>>
>>64385128
People realized that they were more creative if flawed due to the execution.
>>
>>64395645
Tron Legacy was fucking shit.
>>
>>64396255
>being this deluded
>>
>>64396350
I bet you fucking loved TFA youm manchild fag
>>
>>64396460
NO I DIDN'T
>>
>>64386297
>>64386403
Attack of the Clones gets boring as fuck when they action starts on Geonosis, the scenes aren't engaging and every lightsaber fight in the prequels revolves around someone dropping their lightsaber. It's also really boring on Kamino.
>>
>>64396517
well fuck you anyway TRon Legacy was amazing and so was Oblivion, fucking awesome movies
>>
>>64388048
Thank you for this. You might have just saved this board.
>>
>>64388005
>He's not clearly "very obvious and evil."

Dude. His establishing character moment is massacring a bunch of unarmed prisoners for shits and giggles. You don't get more obviously evil than that. You TFAgs are literally delusional sometimes.
>>
>>64392929
>implying one could not make almost the same criticisms about the originals
When will you Star Shit fags grow up?
>>
>>64384793
Why bother making/participating in a thread if you're just gonna use retard responses.
>>
>>64385981
>Man who has no blood relation to Luke Skywalker or any Skywalker?
The son of Shmi Skywalker has no relation to any Skywalker? Boy, you are as stupid as any plinkettkuk out there.
>>
>>64386247
>A revolutionary long-range weapon known as the "vengeance weapon" because Nazis used it as retaliation for Allied bombings.
They fucked the whole thing up royally.
>>
Any other conclusion is simply wrong.
>>
>>64387505
>guise i le hate Hayden Christensen me so hip XD
Dank meme, but it needs to end.
>>
this entire thread is autism

it's a fucking movie and you guys are flinging shit over it like children.
>>
>>64388048
>"TFA will be shit! Fucking Jew Jew Abrams, fucking nigger main character, fucking SJWs! People won't accept this! It will be worse than the prequels and a total flop!"
>Trailer drops. Record pre-sales, screenings booked out months in advance. Hype incredibly high.
>"I-i-t'll still be a flop! Guaranteed to be shit! Phantom Menace sold well too before people realised it was shit! N-nigger character!"
>TFA releases. 5 star reviews, record opening day. People love based Johnny B's performance, and he's very well received.
>"o-ok it might not be as bad as we thought, but it's still not going to beat Jurassic World! Disney are finished!"
>Beats Jurassic World, despite being released in off-season and no Chinese release.
>"J-just wait until based RLM eviscerates it for being A New Hope ripoff in a Mr Plinkett review! You'll f-fucking see then Starfags!"
I was like that until I saw the movie. I now admit I was wrong and it was a great film.
>>
It depends how the next movies will be desu. So far I wouldn't rate TFA higher than ROTS.
>>
III > I > II = TFA in terms of prequels.
>>
>>64396313
This. TFA could have done with expanding the universe more and showing us new environments, ships and overall new designs. Same with not relying too heavily on the A new hope storyline.
Hopefully the first movie just set the stage and the 2nd movie can now go in a more creative direction. The crappy characters and too much reliance of CGI were the problems in the prequels, not the designs and expansion of the universe.
>>
>>64385290
This is the third time I've seen this posted today, are you a dedicated shitposter or is this another forced meme?
>>
>>64398850
T b h I only care about good new characters f a m, and the film more than delivered in that aspect.
>>
>>64385644
>laser beam suspended in air
>that Nausicaa-esque intro salvaging the ship and riding the cart down the sand dunes and her trying on the x-wing pilot helmet
>that falcon chase through the crashed star destroyer
I really liked the intro a lot, it got a bit messy in the latter parts but damn if he didn't nail the the first hour
>>
>All these nerds debating witch nerd flick is the least garbage

Nerds
>>
>>64390454
>german dub
best vader
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJIsVXejjRY
>>
>>64399144
>that falcon chase through the crashed star destroyer
Even that managed to bore me.
Thread replies: 212
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.