[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FUCK this movie was good. >'dat likable protagonist
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4
File: 12_Years_a_Slave_film_poster.jpg (89 KB, 292x432) Image search: [Google]
12_Years_a_Slave_film_poster.jpg
89 KB, 292x432
FUCK this movie was good.

>'dat likable protagonist
>'dem kind but unnerving slave masters
>'dat psychotic Michael Fassbender whipping the shit out of his slaves
>'dat Classic Paul Dano

I thought it was more intense and exhilarating than any action movie of the past decade.

Why didn't /tv/ tell me it was good?
>>
because /tv/ is racist and doesn't like movies. it was great.
>>
12 years felt like 2-3 months
>>
reminder that Cumberbatch was a worse slaver than Fassbender
>>
File: 2346767655.jpg (34 KB, 400x287) Image search: [Google]
2346767655.jpg
34 KB, 400x287
>>64383320
>when he returned home to his now adult family
my chest hurt so much watching that shit.

also, what was the point of pitt being in this film? nigga was on scene for like, 15 minutes. they could've used any ole joe to play his part.
>>
I thought it would have turn out better if it wasn't directed by McQueen.
I love McQueen but his style didn't really work with this script
>>
>>64383320
>'dat
>'dem
Holy shit fuck off back to 2008.
>>
>>64383387
If all slavers were like cumberbatch, we'd still have slavery.
>>
File: 2016-01-02_15-42-08.png (3 KB, 206x52) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-02_15-42-08.png
3 KB, 206x52
>>64383397
>also, what was the point of pitt being in this film? nigga was on scene for like, 15 minutes. they could've used any ole joe to play his part.
pic related
he was the same way in The Big Short too, he just pops in different movies he produced to play a good guy
>>
wahhh white people did a bad thing 150 years ago: the movie

It was well-made and all but it's basically The Passion for blacks
>>
>>64383397
You need a white guy that you can put on the cover. No really, that's the reason.
>>
>>64383397

I kind of like seeing famous actors play bit parts. A lot of people were upset that Max von Sydow had such a small part in the Force Awakens, but it didn't matter to me. I don't think an actor's fame has to be proportional to their screen time.
>>
>>64383429
Well slavery only ended because of military matters. The south just wasn't as good at fighting.
Turns out that they valued slaves so didn't want to send them to die. Unlike the north.
>>
>>64383479
The movie doesn't even demonize white people.
>>
>>64383320
I thought it was derivative and a bit dull, but then I've seen Roots.
>>
>>64383533
Slave armies aren't exactly going to be the most effective fighting force when their opponent is offering to free them. An armed salve mutiny would be more dangerous than not having them around at all.
>>
>>64383320
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RgcNMpQ1ME
>>
>>64383479
It was also #notallslavers

so ¯\(°ˍo)/¯
>>
>'dat

Hey Reddit, been a while.
>>
>>64383533
and the military matters started because of economic matters. and the economic matters started because a certain subset of "slavers" were working slaves to death to destroy as much land as possible to produce as much cotton as possible to buy as much new land as possible to plant as much more cotton as possible to makes as much money as possible.

Which is basically what fassbender's character was.
>>
File: 1449084529380.jpg (263 KB, 700x1151) Image search: [Google]
1449084529380.jpg
263 KB, 700x1151
>it's a white troll pretends to be a nigger/liberal to trigger the conservative boogeymen thread

yawn
>>
It was pretty good, nothing world changing, but a very competently made film. It probably was film of the year for 2013, but that's only because 2013 was unbelievably shit for film.
>>
>>64383533
The south lost because they had way less money and troops than the north did. They were doomed from the very start
>>
>>64383740
This.
>>
>>64383697
>white troll

Maybe if you think of someone who's finally succeeded in destroying the last pesky photographs of a black or Jewish grandparent as "white". Personally I hold myself to higher standards.
>>
>>64383320
It robbed The Wolf of Wall Street or Her in the Oscars and it got all the plebs upset.
>>
>>64383740
Just like '12. '14, '15, etc.

the '10s have just sucked in general.
>>
>>64383810

Ehh, 14 was pretty good as there Birdman, Whiplash and Nightcrawler
>>
>>64383873
only nightcrawler was good, rest are school flicks
>>
>>64383916
Nightcrawler was the worst of the three.
>>
>>64383794
Her was sentimental shit
Wolf of Wall street was one of scorsese's worse and extremely forgettable

12 years was far better
>>
>>64383533
>the south not as good at fighting
Please don't tell me you're this retarded.
If the odds were even then the south would have steamrolled the north.
Southern troops always fought at a numbers disadvantage, always had worse guns, less food, and worse clothes.
They still held their own for four years.
Also almost every general of skill and military merit fought for the south.
>>
>>64384051
if they were good at fighting why did they lose?
>>
>>64384220
Because they have 1/10th of the industrial production that the north had. 1/3rd the fighting age population, no international recognition, started with no navy, and had to deal with having far less railroads.
Despite all this they held out for four years due to valour, and amazing generalship in the east.
Read a book.
>>
>>64383367
Yeah this is the biggest criticism I have for the movie.
Whats a movie that manages to show the passage of time very well?
>>
>>64383320
>pro: depicts blacks as slaves
>con: depicts slaveowners as bad guys
>>
>>64384288
Except it doesn't depict all slave owners as bad you dolt
>>
>>64384258
>no production
>no troops
so basically they were bad at fighting and all that entailed, ok
>>
>>64384374
Having a lower population and smaller amount of industrial production due to complex pre-war economic conditions doesn't make you better at fighting.
Both sides didn't start with equal resources, and the south just shit it's away and failed to build factories. The industrial capacity just didn't exist.
>>
>>64384413
they can't maintain a fight, how is that being good at it?
>>
>>64384413
*doesn't make you worse at fighting
>>
>>64384437
Because their actual soldiering skills, the fighting part, was far superior to the north.
The fact they couldn't maintain the fight is no fault of their own.
Their skill in battle, great generalship, and conspicuous valour involved human agency.
>>
>>64384476
well apparently not because they lost
>>
>>64383810
Your mother has sucked a general
>>
>>64383873
>Birdman
>Whiplash
>actually liking these flicks
>>
>>64384500
Already explained this you autist.
>>
>>64384591
the south lost man, get over it
they were bad at fighting
>>
>>64384608
Bait with added autism.
>>
>>64384220
>>64384374
>>64384437
>>64384500
>>64384608
Please kill yourself.
>>
The historical conclusion to his journey is even more depressing than the end title cards imply.

>After regaining his freedom, Solomon Northup rejoined his wife and children. By 1855 he was living with his daughter Margaret Stanton and her family in Queensbury, Warren County, New York. He was working again as a carpenter. He became active in the abolitionist movement and lectured on slavery on nearly two dozen occasions throughout the northeastern United States in the years before the American Civil War.

>During the summer of 1857 Northup was in Canada for a series of lectures. It was widely reported that Northup was in Streetsville, Ontario, but that a hostile Canadian crowd prevented him from speaking. There is no contemporaneous documentation of his whereabouts after that time. The location and circumstances of his death are unknown. Rumors ran rife. In 1858 a newspaper reported, "It is said that Solomon Northup, who was kidnapped, sold as a slave, and afterwards recovered and restored to freedom has been again decoyed South, and is again a slave." Shortly thereafter, even his benefactor Henry B. Northup is said to have believed Solomon had been kidnapped from Canada while drunk.
>>
Lincoln should have shipped the slaves back to africa. If I had a time machine I'd show him what blacks do to cities.
>>
>>64384707

>getting drunk a second time

When will he learn.
>>
>>64383438
Because he brings in viewers you dumbfuck
>>
>>64384707
To be fair, solomon northup is a composite figure and the book, 12 years a slave is a series of vignettes that were edited to be the experiences of one person.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.