[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
They never explained why. .
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 13
They never explained why. .
>>
They explained it the book retard

Lightsabers are EXTREMELY rare now and the only Kyber crystal he could find was a cracked one from the battle of Malachor which was over 1000 years ago.

Im pretty sure Luke trained his Padawan without any lightsabers. Just the force
>>
>>64372641
Kylo lightsaber is ghetto and the crystal is low powered so he had to stress the shit out of it and those little blades on the side are excess venting of the blade energy
>>
You can fuck up people in a stalemate. Why is this not a design choice.
>>
Protects his arm from getting chopped off you dumb shits
>>
>>64372721
See, you're spewing bullshit and trying to preface it with 'its in duh book.'

Where the fuck in that book does it say sabers are rare now? Just because there's a reverence on Anakin's doesn't mean shit, mate.

Its just a broken kyber crystal which releases too much energy and makes the blade unstable. Thus it needs vents on the side or else it'll blow out the emitter.

Boom. Didn't even need to lie.
>>
No it's because jj fake compelled to create a new design for his new edgy antagonist and ran out of ideas.
>>
>>64372641
>he didn't read Star Wars: The Case of the Crossguarded Saber for $24.95
>>
File: raising finger.png (433 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
raising finger.png
433 KB, 1280x800
>>64372721
>battle of Malachor
So is Kotor still cannon?
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 604x340) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 604x340
This thread
>>
>>64372962
Open to interpretation. Malachor is, at least.

Whether its V or just a name reuse is a whole other thing.
>>
>>64372854
>>64372962
The Visual dictionary is 100% canon. Its for people who care about the lore and the world building.
>>
Even if it's a legit design for legit reasons thought up and signed for approval by Lucas 1977 himself I still think it's gay just because TFA was so awful that it ruins anything it touches.
>>
>>64372641
Its explained outside the movie, its hard to have him explain why it's like that without it being just clunky exposition
>>
im willing to bet they went with whatever explanation received the least backlash online.
>>
>>64373048
I see you're trying to make a point but where in there does it state sabers are rare?
>>
File: 1420417994615.jpg (19 KB, 250x214) Image search: [Google]
1420417994615.jpg
19 KB, 250x214
>>64373048
>Hand gestures help visualize force technique
>>
Luke will explain this to Rey in the next movie when they make a lightsaber together saying, "I never taught Ben how to make one of these, but that sure didn't keep him from trying."
>>
>>64373149
Its pretty obvious from what we know so far.

JJ is clearly making it so not everyone can just make a lightsaber. They are a rare commodity in the galaxy and if you watched the movie its pretty easy to tell.

They are going for the OT vibes.

Are you just baiting for replies or something?
>>
>>64373169
>what is force choke?
>>
>>64373206
You're literally pulling this out of your ass. Want to know what the likely explanation is?

Vader's saber was colored red because of a kyber crystal given to him by Palpatine. This has been established in the new novels before ANH.

I wonder why he'd use a broken kyber crystal? Could it be that kyber crystals are inherently rare, if not completely lost?

Woooahhh. Wowie zowie.
>>
>>64373048
>lightsaber is some jerryrigged thing made out of busted up spare parts and a shitty crystal

This is the one thing that impressed me about the film, and about Kylo, because it takes true skill to construct a saber out of pieces of shit you found on the side of the road. They must have retconned "Kyber" crystals though, because originally, they were only ever blue and green, while all red crystals had to be made artificially by the user. Other color blades were other types of minerals.

The synth aspect of the red crystals (before the apparent retconn) was that the energy was focused in such a chaotic way that the red blades at something like a 0.02% chance of temporarily disabling other lightsabers, which was supposed to illicit fear in the opponent since they'd never know if today was their unlucky day.
>>
File: 1425431349034.png (86 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1425431349034.png
86 KB, 625x626
>>64373312
>>
>>64373048
You stupid little shit. The new visual dictionary is garbage.
>>
>>64372721
>You have to read a book to understand the movie

then it's a shit movie
>>
File: B3lePrBCAAIzNOn.png (423 KB, 599x436) Image search: [Google]
B3lePrBCAAIzNOn.png
423 KB, 599x436
>>64373343
>jerryrigged
>>
>>64373048

the next time you post in a thread be sure to point an accusing finger to reinforce your unquestioned authority
>>
>>64373537
Nobody fucking cares how the saber looks. Average Joe who goes to the movies won't be autistic about the sword and enjoy the movie. But if one might be interested in the reason why the sword looks like that, they can check it out from an outside source. The explanation isn't in the movie BECAUSE IT'S NOT FUCKING IMPORTANT
>>
>you know how yoda was 900 years old? well maz is 1000 years old!
>you know how the death star was the size of a moon? well ours is the size of a planet!
>and remember how darth maul's light saber only had two blades? well get this. we have a light saber with 3 blades!
>>
File: FinalizerSD-Fathead.png (2 MB, 2000x1524) Image search: [Google]
FinalizerSD-Fathead.png
2 MB, 2000x1524
>>64372721
>the only Kyber crystal he could find
The official online databank and the new cross section book both confirm that the First Order's Resurgent-class star destroyers have laser batteries that are powered by kyber crystals, which they're mining in a top-secret location.

Either there's a serious lack of communication going on between the new EU people, or Kylo got fucking gypped.
>>
>>64372641

Why do you need an exposition dump for this? Visually it was really fucking clear that his lightsaber was unstable.
>>
Finn got his shoulder royally fucked by it. How do people miss this?
>>
>>64372721
Did Sheev destroy all the lightsabers in the galaxy? There were tons of lightsabers in the prequels.
>>
File: 3228553-5385710373-Stalk.png (550 KB, 1115x700) Image search: [Google]
3228553-5385710373-Stalk.png
550 KB, 1115x700
>>64374963
>bridge is off to one side, obscuring visibility of the entire other side from the viewports
Why not just fully encase the bridge inside the ship at that point? What are those dopey wannabes fucking doing?
>>
File: Kylo Pylo.jpg (47 KB, 630x300) Image search: [Google]
Kylo Pylo.jpg
47 KB, 630x300
>>64372641
>"That lightsaber is mine! My red lightsaber has the only Kyber crystal I could find which was a cracked one from the battle of Malachor which was over 1000 years ago. It's just a broken kyber crystal which releases too much energy and makes the blade unstable, thus it needs vents on the side or else it'll blow out the emitter. They are a rare commodity in the galaxy. Vader's saber was colored red because of a kyber crystal given to him by Palpatine. This has been established in the new novels before ANH. Give that one to me!"
>>
>>64372810
Because you can get fucked by it just as easily.
>>
>>64372641
Not everything in life requires an exact "why" type explanation. Why are half the designs in SW what they are despite being unpractical? Also I find it funny Kylo's saber actually went to use against Finn in the movie...
>>64375166
Bingo.
>>
>>64372641
They never needed to you autist.
>>
Max Von Sydow was best character.

>calling Kylo Ren on names
>dying like a true hero
>having a badass baritone voice

Max Von Sydow rip off when?
>>
>>64375369
Star Wars has made billions of dollars over the decades by 'explaining why'.

Shit that was basically how they made ALL their money between the mid 80s and the late 90s.
>>
>>64373467
Your crying is worse than garbage. It's pussy shit.
>>
>>64372641
it's an unstable cracked crystal that needs more ventilation.

how hard is that to understand you fat autistic bastard. get a job.
>>
>>64375178
Perhaps he or Vader collected them and there's like 1 gorillion lightsabers in a vault on some planet
>>
>>64376427
But not in the movies. You'll have to by the Essential Guide To Shitty Lightsabers to have the canon explanation.
>>
>>64376427
It's also how Lucas almost tanked the franchise in a single movie
>>
Because Kylo would certainly explain the inner workings of his lightsaber to...who exactly? General Hux? Rey? There's not really a way to explain this shit in the movie and it's not needed.

Star Wars is a whole hell of a lot more than just a movie series anymore. That's where the EU comes in. You can bitch and whine and call it fanfiction all you want but that's a big part of what makes Star Wars a FRANCHISE and it makes money. People enjoy the worldbuilding too.

Shut up with your dumbass nitpicking.
>>
>>64378132
NON-CANON
>>
>>64373193
uh they aren't going to make a lightsaber though
>>
>>64378095
or use common sense
>>
>>64378132
>Because Kylo would certainly explain the inner workings of his lightsaber to...who exactly? Rey?

He probably would sperg out and show Rey his lightsaber collection
>>
>>64373048
I thought Kotor and Kotor 2 weren't canon?
>>
The jagged, imperfect nature of his lightsaber beam tells the story better than any amount of exposition could, especially in comparison to the Skywalker saber that Finn and Rey use. Kylo Ren had a poorly constructed lightsaber with flawed inner-workings that was clearly put together by someone who didn't really know how to make one. The flashback that Rey experiences shows that Kylo was the only one of the Knights of Ren to have a lightsaber, which would lead one to assume that Luke never taught his students how to build one. That fight at the end was probably the first lightsaber battle that Kylo Ren ever had.
>>
>>64378274
>Mention one thing from the games
>The entire thing is canon

They mention a creature that first appears in KOTOR in the Clone Wars series but that doesn't make the whole thing canon. It's just Disney taking what they want from the EU and testing the waters. I doubt they want to throw all this shit into their EU in the first year of their establishment of it.

Just because a name is canonized doesn't mean the entire thing it's from is.
>>
>>64372962
Semi-official stance is
>It takes place so far in the past it doesn't really matter THAT much and it's insanely popular too
Plus Rakata Prime/Lehon is canon, so make of that what you will.
>>
>>64372721
>They explained it the book retard
Oh, i see. Now listen here faggot, i paid for the ticket that said "Star wars tm Episode VII: The Force Awakens", not Star wars tm One Half Of Episode VII: The Force Awakens, Find The Other Half In The Book, Comic, Official tm Illustrated Guide, Official tm Popcorn Bucket And Shitton Of Other Official tm Crap".
Who the fuck even reads novelisations? You need to be a really special kind of manchild to care about cheap fanfics with OFFISHUL TM seal on them. Things like Thrawn books? Understandable, though SW really works better being the visual medium, on the paper it is just yet another space opera, they are their own thing. But that shit?..
>>
>>64378354
malachor was a huge ass deal in kotor 2 though, it wasn't really just a creature
>>
>>64372641
TO SELL MORE MERCHANDISE YOU FUCKING NERD! IT'S ALWAYS TO SELL MORE MERCHANDISE! HOW CAN YOU BE SO FUCKING STUPID?! FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!
>>
>>64378431
The point is it's not all canon just because one thing is canonized. It might not even be Malachor V. It might be a completely different type of planet with a completely different event surrounding it than the one that happens in KOTOR 2.
>>
>>64372641

It looks cool and it sets his lightsaber apart visually from the other red lightsabers in the movies so far.

That's it. That's literally all it is.
>>
>>64373245
Choke your dick you fucking faggot.
>>
>>64372641
Did they ever explain anything aside from "it's using the power of the sun, when sun disappear they can fire".

Also while not awful this movie kinda sucks.
>>
>>64373048
>accusing finger reinforces unquestioned authority
My fucking sides.
>>
>>64378478
try reading thread stupid redditor
>>
It has the practical use of burning shoulders.
>>
>>64378462
They've already confirmed other planets from the Old Republic era like Rakata Prime so I think they're pretty much regarding it as a pool to draw canon from.

I feel like I have to say this in every SW thread, but the expanded universe isn't "false", it's simply "not confirmed as canon". You should assume all things in the expanded universe licensed by lucasarts/films as a reliable source unless something in the official canon conflicts with it.
>>
File: boom.jpg (192 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
boom.jpg
192 KB, 500x334
>>64372962
this is cannon
>>
His kyber crystal's shit is fucked up so it needs some vents to unfuck his shit.

You dig /tv/?
>>
>>64372962
kinda
>>
>>64378652
>they're pretty much regarding it as a pool to draw canon from

Yes, that's pretty much it.

The reason the EU was labeled as "Legends" is because in the Star Wars setting those stories are remembered as such things, like Arthurian tales in our world. I view it the opposite though. I see everything as Legends/not necessarily canon unless Disney uses it in something new. To me Rakata, Lehon, Malachor and all that crap is the only canon thing from KOTOR until Disney officially says all of KOTOR is canon.
>>
>>64372962
Who cares? If it's not in any of the four movies, it's not canon.
>>
>>64378652
it would be lame if disney just took things from kotor and kotor 2, repurposed them and then claimed them as their own

TFA kinda rehashed a lot to begin with
>>
>>64375260
>battle of Malachor which was over 1000 years ago
If we're talking about Malachor V it's more like 4000.
>>
>>64378843
Well...we aren't..
>>
>>64374963
Maybe it was the only red one he could find

A Vader fetishist sure as hell wasn't going to use a blue or green saber
>>
>>64378857
>The Battle of Malachor was one of the last known events of the Old Sith Wars. It occurred in 3951 BBY and was the final major event of the First Jedi Purge.

>Battle of Malachor V: In the year 3960 BBY, Revan forced a final confrontation with the Mandalorians above Malachor V

There's no other Battle of Malachor.
>>
>>64378534
glad I'm not the only one that noticed this
fucking kek
>>
>>64378902
There might be in Disney's new canon. Get that through your fucking skull.
>>
>>64378902
>>64378927
Also, it's called the "Great Scourge of Malachor", we don't really know what that means either.
>>
>>64373537

http://brorlandi.github.io/StarWarsIntroCreator/#!/K7-CjctWntML5TTiJVe
>>
File: latest.jpg (2 MB, 1568x1024) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
2 MB, 1568x1024
>>
>>64378720
>Rakata, Lehon, Malachor
Rakata Prime = Lehon
By the way, I'll need to look it up but TOR and KOTOR were semi-officially considered "pseudo-canon" as it takes place so far back it doesn't matter THAT much, plus the setting is insanely popular.

>>64378927
>>64378955
>There might be in Disney's new canon. Get that through your fucking skull.
He said "Battle of Malachor", not "Great Scourge of Malachor". So I went by Battle. Which there only was in the Old Republic era and none in Disney's new canon. Whatever Malachor's great Scourge was is probably a big ass bombing on the scale of Taris/Telos.

>>64373537
I have to agree in a way.
I look up "Whoever the fuck was that Pseudo-Kenobi wanker in the beginning? They never explained that" and apparently he actually has a name and is part of "The Church of the Force".
Half the shit wasn't explained, like Finn's apparently being a great officer material Stormtrooper.
>>
>>64379118
they didn't explain how the lightsabers work in the other movies
>>
>>64373537
Not him but I agree. Except I didn't need to read the book to understand the movie
>>
>>64379192
Neither do I give a shit about the lightsabers, they're just an excuse to have cool swords in space, which became the iconic image for the series as a whole.

I'm talking about Mr. Fake-One Kenobi.
You know, the guy who gives Poe the map. Seems kind of an important guy, but no mention of a name. Then I look him up and he's somehow part of a church that's totally semi-important but never ever did they say his name nor why he had that map.

Still, the vents facing forwards (to the pointy end of the blade) would be a better design, no?
Less/No chance of burning your shoulders, less to no chance of having your hand burn when doing fancy swinging moves.
Only you lose the "burn enemy shoulder in lightsaber combat", but eh, not too bad of a trade-off?
>>
>>64379314
They needed the cross to drive home the point that christianity = evil

Expect rey to build a lightscimitar at some point
>>
>>64379346
he's holding an upside-down cross. he's satan.
>>
>>64378503
I see you get easily angered by facts mongoloid
>>
>>64379314
I see the ocean. I.... see the island.
>>
File: 9769876.jpg (31 KB, 490x368) Image search: [Google]
9769876.jpg
31 KB, 490x368
>>64373048
>accusing finger reinforces unquestioned authority
>>
>>64372641
In the eternal war against Christ all symbols will be desecrated.
>>
>>64372721

Nevermind the fact that near on all red sith lightsabers are made with synthetic crystals.
>>
>>64375295
which is basically the dark side in a nutshell.

and they say TFA doesn't have pottery
>>
The truth is that it's a Christian crucifix symbol to make the character seem "deeper".
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.