[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why didn't Star Wars prequel fans like this? It has tons
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2
Why didn't Star Wars prequel fans like this?

It has tons of world building, cool ships, epic aliens at the expense of acting, direction and anything that makes an actual movie good.

Did I mention its 100% original too?
>>
>>64367731
prequel and OT people would like it
>>
The acting was awful, the universe sucked, the villain was boring and it had no cool weapons, Captain America has a cooler shield
>>
Trailer looked like some kind of sci fi parody so I never bothered
>>
It's a perfect movie for the star wars audience.
Especially for the new doctor who/ hunger games audience they managed to attract.
>>
>>64367731
no Star Wars lore attached to it
>>
The prequels had a more coherent plot than this shit show and they were a wreck.
>>
>>64367731
The ship design was on point, I'll give you that.
>>
>I LOVE DOGS
>>
The aesthetics were top notch for the film and that's it.
>>
>>64367731
OP i don't think you appreciate what prequel fans are. They want nothing more than to see Star Wars imagery flashing in a nauseating sequence for two hours. Anything that isn't a lightsaber battle with at least 4 laser swords with their comfort zone John Williams music blaring in the background is gonna go right over their heads.
>>
>>64367731
I enjoyed it as a dumb sci-fi, but it became Plan 9 From Outer Space tier with fucking Redmayne.

>Iwillharvestthatplanet...beforeIlethertakeitfromme
>>
>>64367731
>It has tons of world building,
too much too fast, that is why most generic space fantasy works don't livel ong
>epic aliens
name 4
>Did I mention its 100% original too?
is not it based on a YA book?
>>
>>64369233
>bees can tell royalty
it extra funny since there was also a euro movie about girl dating a dog with a dog being a stand in for a black guy.
>>
>>64369335
It's not based on a YA book. Wachoskis actually made something 100% original (even though it's also ripped off entirely from other franchises)
>>
It's pretty decent I guess, but it wasn't like the greatest movie I've ever seen. I'd probably give it like 3.5/5. The premise was fun, but it felt like something was lacking. The villain was just..meh. Channing Tatum was cool though and who doesn't love Mila Kunis, but I wouldn't say this movie is worth any hype you think it needs.
>>
>>64369305
downvoted
>>
>>64369456
I keep forgetting it since female MC has all the marks of a generic YA 3 part books protege. its like Im watching Darkness Falls by Krystal Wade in space.
>>
>>64369772
I really would like to see that type of heroine get flipped on it's head somehow.
>>
>>64370372
like in what way, she goes to a new world and gets raped a lot? She is not the chosen one but only a helper? all the stuff exposition guy said is a lie and there is no corporate gov?
>>
The bee royalty thing was touched on once and for seemingly no reason, what was that even about?
>>
I quite enjoyed it and I think it deserves a better reputation than it has.

It's not a fantastic movie by any stretch, but there's something incredibly charming and attractive about a movie that fully embraces what it is to such an extent.

Other movies would take a step back and say "am I going too far here? Am I alienating the audience at all?" but Jupter Ascending says "no, I am what I am, and I'll continue to be so. I want my finale to be a flying space werewolf fistfighting a dragon alien mid-air inside an exploding refinery that's inside jupiter while an immigrant cleaning lady who's actually the genetic reincarnation of one of the richest women in the universe fights one of the richest men in the universe who is also her pre-carnation son who is thousands of years old because he bathes in the concentrated juice of millions of sentients to stay young" and then throws that shit on screen and tells you to suck it down or fuck off.
>>
>>64367731
Those two characters look like some white trash couple on a reality show.
>>
Bees can sense royalty.
>>
>>64370526
>she goes to a new world and gets raped a lot?

Obviously.

But really there's no decent way to deconstruct female fantasy characters, because there is just nothing interesting about them.

A ugly dumb (but not bitchy) female character that all the other characters inexplicably hate would basically just be how every woman views their childhood.
>>
>>64370526
Anything different, really. Like, her whole indifference towards this fantastical universe is annoying as shit, maybe start by giving that whole Queen Of Earth bullshit some actual weight beyond a neat space tat.

>>64371475
That's a great way of putting it.
>>
the story line wasnt convincing...i didnt have to be convince in the first 3 movies. the last 4 felled forced and sloppy
>>
WHY DID SHE GO BACK TO BEING A TOILET CLEANER?????? SHE WAS BEE ROYALTY
>>
>>64370643
Basically just setting down the idea that all life in the universe is genetically engineered.
>>
was it bestiality?
>>
>>64371623
>inexplicably hate

Why not just make her really shifty? Like, tell it from 3rd person for once, or have her be an extremely unreliable narrator?

Make it so you're curious as to what move she's gonna make next.
>>
The movie was over the top but I feel like it was a little too self conscious.
If it wanted to be a sci-fi satire it should've pushed things into even more ridiculous territory.
>>
>>64371661
They kinda fucked themselves on that note though. The only way she could actually do anything with the fact she owned the earth would have been by risking the earth in some sort of complex financial game that would have resulted in her simply buying in to the entire "planetary harvest" thing. But the "average girl" character wasn't that smart and that would put her in a position where shes gambling with humanity, making everything that happens as a result entirely her fault.
>>
She lacked any flaws aside from being kind of goofy.
She was a mary sue
>>
>>64371914
Agreed. It was basically just a really poorly written fanfiction rewritten by 50's pulp writers.
>>
>>64367731
I didn't bother seeing it because one of the directors has a mental illness.

Also TFA was shit and you know it stop shilling you plebbit faggot
>>
>>64371869
Point being, "I'm ugly stupid and every hates me for no reason no matter what I do" is the reality girls are trying to escape. Then if you add a layer of delusion to the narrator, you're imitating the rest of the girls who've deluded themselves into thinking everyone loves them.

There really is no winning here because woman really are not complex enough to be compelling characters.
>>
>>64372049
I think there's room for it.

A good strong female character should be written as a flawed one. You can have them be strong and capable and ingenious and all that mary sue shit to please girls, but to really slam it home you need to give them weakness. Have it be subtle in the beginning, then as they move forward in the plot it becomes more obvious what their flaw is and how they're pushing against it.
>>
>>64372210
The problem is hollywood writers feel the can just have that struggled against flaw be "is a woman" and be done with it. Because that's the cultural narrative of the modern women.
>>
>>64372423
I suppose.
>>
>>64367731
Well Star Wars is a massive rip off of Dune, since most Star Wars fans are half retarded man children that think anything "sci-fi" is inferior to SW, they would hate it.

JA was pretty shit though, but I blame the Wak Bros. for that since almost everything they do is shit
>>
>>64372423
that's just lazy writing
>>
>>64372579
Put it this way, in order for the character to be believable to women, she'd need the "fighting sexism" crap. Then you're asking for another source of character conflict on top of that. With both in play simultaneously. Which gets really ridiculous really fast. Especially considering you've only got two hours.

If you want complexity on any level, read a book.
>>
>>64373354
>she'd need the "fighting sexism" crap

I can't wait until that idea dies.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.