[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Cinema doomed to die? Where are all the new blood auteur directors?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (344 KB, 869x1122) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
344 KB, 869x1122
Is Cinema doomed to die?
Where are all the new blood auteur directors?
Call them hacks but the 90s gave us PTA, Wes Anderson, Quentin Tarantino, Danny Boyle, Darren Aronovsky and several others.

What the has the last decade and the first half of this decade given us?
>>
Xavier Dolan
>>
Shane Carruth
>>
Ava DuVernay
>>
Lena Dunham
>>
>>64366690
>>64366711
>>64366798
>>64366884
Literal whos
>>
Alex Ross Perry
>>
File: 1360457032043.jpg (76 KB, 495x495) Image search: [Google]
1360457032043.jpg
76 KB, 495x495
>>64366690
>>64366711
>>64366798
>>64366884
>that progression
>>
David Robert Mitchell
>>
The reason you don't get auteurs now is because the film festival programmers turn them down in favor of the SJW agenda (Xavier Dolan, Lena Dunham) or stuff that panders to the hipster outlook (Ross Perry + most sundance films of the last 5 yrs)
>>
>>64366979
>this faggot doesnt know Carruth

whats good, reddit?
>>
Don't worry.

I'm coming.
>>
You have literally never watched a FORIEGN film have you
>>
Seems like they came about 20 years after their idols of 70s cinema. 20 years later and the cycle seemed to stop
>>
>>64367206
>whats good
hello nigger
>>
>>64367063
>>that progression
What did he mean by this
>>
Ryan Coogler
>>
Joe Swanberg
>>
>>64366655

Jeff Nichols
Damien Chazelle
Bennett Miller
James Ponsoldt
Alex Garland
>>
File: gia.jpg (61 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
gia.jpg
61 KB, 600x600
Gia Coppola
>>
>>64367200
read >>64367200
It's kind of true. I'm not into the SJW argument but promising filmmakers have little to no help from independent producers and distributors anymore because ALL of them either went bankrupt or have been bought out by subsidiaries of major studios. Therefore, unless you're daddy is friends with producers like Dolan, you have to finance everything yourself like Carruth, which most people can't do.
>>
>>64366690
>>64366711
These two are good.
>>
>>64367565
This was hard to read but I'm kinda drunk, sorry.
>>
>>64367565
Independent film is going through a creative malaise, and most maverick filmmakers are heading to television or VOD releases. It's really the Second Golden Age of the Studios right now, in terms of their control of the market.
>>
I think there are many factors to this.
It can't just be one thing. A theory of mine is the rise of digital filmmaking. It has made it to where anyone can "make a movie", which unfortunately has caused an influx of hacks who overshadow anyone with promise or talent. this anon : >>64367200 has a point to it as well regarding festivals. There's also the increasing gap between smaller independent films and overblown big budget blockbusters. The middle ground is practically gone. I dont know, i can go on and on about this. Studios want safe franchises, Festivals are all politics, and it's becoming harder to stand out when so many others are after what you're after.
>>
Antonio Campos
Sean Durkin (if he ever makes another movie)
Xavier Dolan
Sebastian Silva
Ryan Coogler
Jeff Nichols
Cary Fukunaga
>>
Rian Johnson
Denis Villenueve
John Hillcoat
Ben Affleck
>>
>>64366655
I have a friend who sat me down and explained the generational theory of art. I won't bore you but basically all the great generational works of art that are also statements of some kind are on a cycle, which makes sense if you think about it. I forget what the timeline was for music and literature, but for movies it's every twenty years and also in the latter half of the decade. So basically it's 55-59 for The Greatest Generation, 75-79 for the Boomers, 95-99 for Gen X and with any luck, 2015-2019 as the Millenials begin to come of age. It's just a theory but it's not bad.
>>
>>64367256
Godspeed anon
>>
>>64367505
Palo Alto is trash
>>
>>64367200
Because Dolan is a hack and only gets attention because he talks about the gays... go back to /pol/ and make another thread about how jews are the reason you're a loser.
>>
>>64368511
I hope its true.
Because after all the old directors die nobody will be left
>>
>>64368511
50s are trash
>>
>>64369109
Fucking implying

The 50s were a great era of studio filmmaking. It's the 60s that were trash.
>>
>>64369176
>French New Wave
>Kubrick at his prime
>Pretty much anything from the late 60s laying the ground work for the New Hollywood movement

Yeah fuck off
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.