[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it always scientists and STEM related jobs that are glorified
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: TBBT.jpg (13 KB, 295x171) Image search: [Google]
TBBT.jpg
13 KB, 295x171
Why is it always scientists and STEM related jobs that are glorified in television and film now instead of literature and philosophy?
>>
>>64350485
because literature and philosophy are literally whos?
>>
>>64350485
Because the latter generally arnt autists
>>
Who /tradesmen/ here?
>>
>>64350485
Because stem generally helps the advancement of technology and understanding more tbqhfam
>>
Because literature and philosophy are useless.
>>
>>64350485
What do you mean? Looks like Penny majored in Philosophy from the job she has
>>
The proliferation of reddit types.
Like these guys
>>64351028
>>64351301
>>
Nobody wants to wat chaffey some nihlist
>>
>>64351286
learning to follow orders, never innovate and never think out of your prescribed area- 95% STEM students. Most are complete autists either socially or culturally.
>>
>>64350485
Because STEM people in general love comics and consumerism.

Ordinary people than think that it is okay for them to love popular culture, because clever and useful people love it too.
>>
>>64350485
Because literature and philosophy degrees (or any field in the liberal arts) will leave you unemployed, unless you plan on working in academia.
>>
>>64350485
>Why is it always scientists and STEM related jobs that are glorified in television and film now instead of literature and philosophy?

Because hard skills are the only way to get a real job nowadays?

I've been unemployed for 2 years. I wish I studied a sicence major instead.

:dualHistory&AfricanAmericanSudiesMajor:
>>
>>64351964
>:dualHistory&AfricanAmericanSudiesMajor:

Better pray McDonalds raises that minimum wage, cause fast food will be your "Career."
>>
>>64351761
So what? Made sitcom about academia. I have plenty of /lit/ and /his/ friends who travel around the world and they are doing cool stuff because of liberal arts degrees.

That is not a problem.

The problem is they have opinions. They like different type of culture. They are not boring, but they are little bit less interested in popular culture stuff.

You can glorify STEM people because they have in general "low taste" and very simple ideas about society, history and so on. They are close to the majority of society.

On the other hand I have plenty of /sci/ friends and they are not those stereotypical capeshit loving nerds. But the idea of STEM is marketable, you should understand it this way.
>>
File: coyne.jpg (142 KB, 640x629) Image search: [Google]
coyne.jpg
142 KB, 640x629
Not because scientists like it (they don't, the humour is shit). Children and adults like to feel smart by being in on the very obvious joke.

>Sheldon made a joke about the periodic table XD bazinga. love that shit *rips bong* mmmmm say that one more time: BAZINGA. XD XD

btw I work in accounting with a degree in Law so I have no dog in this fight but lucrative STEM is a fucking meme. IT work is getting anally thwarted by an abundance of labour and a lack of requirement for the skills good grads tout, and your bio, chem or physics degree is as abstract and niche as anything else. Good options are there, but so is the glut of communications, lawyering, teaching and miscellaneous work Humanities students get. Fact is, best will succeed, rest will fail hard regardless.

Unless you're a dentist or viable engineer, obviously.

I am involved seasonally in work placements and STEM sophomores have unwarranted self-importance and stupidly high expectations. No, fellas. We should all hate ourselves equally.

Anyway business students are the worst anyway so fuck them.
>>
>>64352555
trips confirms
>>
>2016
>literature
>>
>>64351028
>>64350485
>>
>>64350485
I always thought they got the whole portrayal of nerds on tv wrong in this show.

A show about geeks should have a guy that owns a somewhat failing comics and games store.
A guy that works at Target but spends all his money on collector figures.
A guy in his late 20's that has never had a job before but hangs out with the rest.
A guy that makes webcomics that hopes to move to Japan some day and become a famous manga artist.

Love angle would be webcomic guy meeting anime fangirl with similar dreams of moving to japan and making anime out of her fanfiction
Target guy meets a frequent customer and they go out.
Comic guy often pretends he does not know what comics are when out in public.
>>
>>64354269
>A show about geeks should have a guy that owns a somewhat failing comics and games store.
Stuart the comic book store owner is there for that and to make fun of all the actually socially awkward people.

>Penny and Wolowizard's wife tell Amy to go on Tinder (they didn't namedrop it but it was clearly supposed to be Tinder)
>they hook up Amy's phone to the TV and start swiping
>Stuart's profile comes up
>"Oh hey, there's Stuart"
>[audience laughter intensifies]
Its like they wish to say socially awkward and otherwise undesirable people aren't allowed to use Tinder
>>
>>64353795
holy shit lmao
>>
What would a literature and philosophy version of TBBT be like?
>>
>>64354394

>/lit/ version of Sheldon and Lenard are discussing Deleuze
>/lit equivalent of Raj comes in, overhears them
>OH, HEY YOU GUISE, ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT LOOS? WHERE I COME FROM IN INDIA, EVERYWHERE IS A DESIGNATING SHITTING STREET
>audience sides go into orbit
>Sheldon decides to say Deleuze over and over again to see if it sounds like loo, he confirms it does
>Audiences head explode
>>
File: 1451261667607.jpg (325 KB, 531x989) Image search: [Google]
1451261667607.jpg
325 KB, 531x989
>Show opens with Sheldon and Leonard discussing the themes in The Trial by Franz Kafka
>Penny walks in, and in order to fit in, she decides to use the word 'kafkaesque' after everything
>Sheldon and Leonard look at her with a frustrated look
>Crowd cannot stop laughing
>"Actually, Penny, that's not what kafkaesque means!"
>"So... who here read The Martian" Penny replies
>Sheldon has an autistic fit and walks off the apartment to applause from the crowd.
>Jew boy walks up to Penny and tells her that she is looking very "Orwellian"
>Crowd laughs once more
>Penny says thanks, and gives him a hug, which leads Leonard to say some witty comment which draws more laughter from the crowd.
>Indian guy says nothing.
>>
>>64350485
Because we are better than you.
>>
>>64355165

So would Stuart be an awkward book salesman who imagines himself to be like Bernard from Black Books?
>>
>>64351332
I thought she majored in acting? That's her character from what I've gathered, she's an actress that can't get any roles.
>>
File: Pleb.jpg (286 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Pleb.jpg
286 KB, 2000x1000
>Philosophy useless
>Graduated with a degree in philosophy and immediately got a job in a top law firm
>They are paying my way through law school
>Within the next 5 years my salary could potentially be upward of £100,000 per annum
>Philosophy is useless

Go back to playing with your test tubes you fucking nerds.
>>
>>64355595
So.. they don't actually need you for your philosophy education which is why they send you to law school? What need do they have for you?
>>
I have a stem phd and I'm two months away from being unemployed when my postdoc finished.
The visa rules in the US have flooded the country with foreigners with stem degrees, making it difficult to get a job
>>
>>64356104

What did you actually study? STEM is pretty broad.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.