[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why has he not done a single interview in the last 50 years?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 26
File: w240.jpg (9 KB, 240x285) Image search: [Google]
w240.jpg
9 KB, 240x285
Why has he not done a single interview in the last 50 years?
>>
>>64350302
Cause of my wife's kid
>>
>>64350315
Don't you ever fucking reply to me again unless you're contributing to the discussion
>>
>>64350302
Why should he?
>>
DUDE MYSTERIOUS PUBLIC PERSONA FUELING MY CULT OF PERSONALITY FILMMAKING LMAO
>>
He grew up in Autism, Texas.
>>
BTFO the stupidity of journalism
I applaud him for this.
>>
>>64350302

Because fuck interviews. I feel like he gets his point across in a certain way with his movies, through images and editing, and if he actually tried to "explain" them in words, it wouldn't add much.

Besides, the press loves to mock a weirdo, and Terry is at least smart enough to know he's a weirdo. He doesn't want to end up a joke like Tarantino
>>
File: Malick ITW Badlands AFI.jpg (94 KB, 669x461) Image search: [Google]
Malick ITW Badlands AFI.jpg
94 KB, 669x461
>>
I'd guess because he doesn't care what other people think, doesn't like attention, is independently wealthy and makes the films he wants to make, when he wants to make them.
>>
File: Malick ITW Badlands FN (2).jpg (573 KB, 1239x1600) Image search: [Google]
Malick ITW Badlands FN (2).jpg
573 KB, 1239x1600
>>
>>64350354
hello reddit
>>
File: Malick ITW Badlands FN (3).jpg (633 KB, 1184x1600) Image search: [Google]
Malick ITW Badlands FN (3).jpg
633 KB, 1184x1600
>>
File: Malick ITW Badlands FN (4).jpg (672 KB, 1239x1600) Image search: [Google]
Malick ITW Badlands FN (4).jpg
672 KB, 1239x1600
>>
>The thing that really, really bothers me about the perception of Terrence Malick is the idea that he made Days of Heaven and then sat with his thumb up his butt for twenty years. That’s not what happened; he never stopped working. Terrence Malick is not a recluse. A recluse is Howard Hughes holed up in a hotel pissing into a milk bottle. If you live in certain neighborhoods of Austin you’ll see Malick shambling about with his binoculars and bird-watching gear. And if you walk up to him and say, “I love your movies,” he’ll say, “Thank you so much, and isn’t it such a wonderful day?” He has his reasons, we don’t know what they are, and I like that. […]

>This is a guy who knows a hell of a lot about a hell of a lot of things: religion, astronomy, birds, philosophy. He doesn’t strike me as someone for whom the sun rises and sets on the next deal; maybe movie-making is not the be-all and end-all for him. It’s entirely possible that when he’s out bird-watching he gets so swept up in it that he doesn’t think about movies at all that day.
>>
File: Malick Dances.webm (919 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Malick Dances.webm
919 KB, 640x360
>>64350719
>“Thank you so much, and isn’t it such a wonderful day?”
Warms my heart every time.
>>
File: malick sony leak.png (72 KB, 1005x614) Image search: [Google]
malick sony leak.png
72 KB, 1005x614
>>
>>64350408
Kek
>>
File: Malick Sony Letter.png (92 KB, 789x944) Image search: [Google]
Malick Sony Letter.png
92 KB, 789x944
>>64350799

>>64350798
mine too

http://www.tmz.com/2012/06/13/terrence-malick-benicio-del-toro-video-director/
>>
File: Malick Letter Music Rights (1).jpg (101 KB, 789x944) Image search: [Google]
Malick Letter Music Rights (1).jpg
101 KB, 789x944
>>64350799
>>
because he's smarter than Lars von Trier?

>>64350531

That hair.
>>
File: Malick Letter To Hodges.jpg (128 KB, 435x640) Image search: [Google]
Malick Letter To Hodges.jpg
128 KB, 435x640
>>64350830
>>64350833
Oops
>>
>>64350798
Dancing comes naturally to auteurs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdhb83i5rS8
>>
File: tree of life projectionists.jpg (105 KB, 620x799) Image search: [Google]
tree of life projectionists.jpg
105 KB, 620x799
>>
>>64350872
>>64350833

my brother in Christ
>>
File: Malick Letter To Scorsese.jpg (93 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
Malick Letter To Scorsese.jpg
93 KB, 960x1280
>>
>>64350798
sauce on this webm?
>>
File: ttw 6.jpg (132 KB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
ttw 6.jpg
132 KB, 1920x816
>To the Wonder resembles another chapter out of Malick’s life. The male lead (Ben Affleck), named Neil, is an American man who, while in Paris, falls in love with a French woman (Olga Kurylenko) named Marina, the mother of a young daughter (Tatiana Chiline). When the three move to America, Marina has a hard time adjusting. The two grow apart, and in voice-over Marina says something like (I’m paraphrasing, the line is not in my notes), “Where does he go?” All of these details parallel what we know about Malick’s second marriage:

>"One day in 1980 or 1981, Malick’s landlord introduced him to Michèle, a tall, thirtysomething blonde Parisienne who lived in the same building. She had a young daughter, Alexandra. … In a year or two, the trio moved to Austin, Texas. … Michèle did her best to adapt to Austin. … But she was out of her element. … Malick would often just leave, for hours, days, or weeks. She never knew where he went, and it made her crazy."

>Eventually Marina returns to Paris, just as Michèle did. While she’s away, Neil takes up with a woman he knew in his youth (Rachel McAdams). At this point in Malick’s life, he married his high school sweetheart, Alexandra “Ecky” Wallace, to whom he’s apparently still married.
>>
>>64350914
Thanks for all these Malick pics, friend.
>>
>>64350872
torrenting it this sec, malick better be right
>>
>>64350799
>ywn be Terry' assistant
>>
>>64350302
He literally has nothing to say cuz he knows nothing about cinema and has no idea what he's doing and he's afraid he'd get exposed for the hack that he is.
>>
>>64350473
These are gold, dude. How?
>>
File: Malick Hat Maymay (4).jpg (37 KB, 396x498) Image search: [Google]
Malick Hat Maymay (4).jpg
37 KB, 396x498
>>64350719
>"Malick was someone who was listening to a high whine in his head," recalls Cohen. "He was very tense and fragile, the least likely person to be a director. I once had to have a meeting with him in Westwood. He was getting up every five minutes and hiding behind pillars; he kept thinking he saw somebody he knew. He would call me, and I'd hear trucks rolling by on the highway, and I'd say, 'Where are you?' and he'd answer, 'I'm walking to Oklahoma!' 'What do you mean, you're walking to Oklahoma? From Texas?' 'Yeah, I'm looking at birds.'"

>On Terrence Malick, whom he admires: It's so strange; I never knew what happened to him. I saw Richard Gere in New Orleans one time, and I said, "What ever happened to Terry Malick?" And he said, "Everybody asks me that." He said, "I have no idea." But later on I met Terry. And he just - he just decided that he didn't want to live that life. Or so he told me. He just didn't want to live the life. It wasn't that he didn't like the films. It's just, if you could do it without living in Hollywood ...
>>
>>64351022
Torrent Zoolander too while you're at it
>>
Because he cannot tolerate idiots.
>>
>>64350872
>not a pretty picture

Funny, cuz that's what all people say about his films

>hurr durr looks so prety
>muh cinematography
>>
>>64350914
>>64350884
>>64350872
>>64350833
>>64350830
I'm not saying he didn't write this stuff, but why is his signature different in every letter? I mean I could have written dis and said it was Malick letter and youd all believe it
>>
File: malick.jpg (65 KB, 594x414) Image search: [Google]
malick.jpg
65 KB, 594x414
>>64350302
He is fed up.
>>
>>64351345
>1979
>1974 looks similar, except more rushed, with a shittier pen
>2014 long time gap, thick marker pen
>>
>>64350987

I always wondered if there was something more behind To The Wonder.
>>
>>64351518
You mean more autobiographical elements?
>>
File: product_thumbnail.jpg (67 KB, 245x320) Image search: [Google]
product_thumbnail.jpg
67 KB, 245x320
>Now in its 3rd edition, ONE BIG SOUL: AN ORAL HISTORY OF TERRENCE MALICK is the first ever full-length oral biography of the mysterious director of Badlands, Days of Heaven, The Thin Red Line, The New World, The Tree of Life and To the Wonder and more. The cinematic world of Terrence Malick is explored by those that have known, worked with or experienced Terrence Malick’s private universe up close and personal. Using previously published interviews and articles, as well as material researched by the author, ONE BIG SOUL: AN ORAL HISTORY OF TERRENCE MALICK promises to be an instantly readable and informative account of one of the world’s most reclusive and enigmatic filmmakers. Now including five interviews with Terrence Malick never-before collected into one volume.
Does anyone have the pdf?
>>
>>64351630
>oral history
Is it just literally just transcripts of interviews or something?
>>
>>64350408
haha
>>
>>64351022
>Hoping to cure his violent seizures, a man agrees to a series of experimental microcomputers inserted into his brain but inadvertently discovers that violence now triggers a pleasurable response his brain.

should be called "Normal Man" to be honest
>>
Interview about Days of Heaven, when he was in France. The last paragraph is especially interesting after TTW and KOC

>>64351732
Yes, from random people. I'll post excerpts
>>
>>64352030
>>64352190
Thanks.
>>
>>64352242
The Soderbergh Che biopic was originally a Terry project
>>
>Terry will never direct a Whiplash remake about flamenco guitar
>>
>>
>you will never marry terry
>>
Reminder that "a" fags are the worst.

He's THE hot tub boy, cunts. There should be no others.
>>
>>64352633

So Knight Of Cups is another autobiography movie?
>>
File: t-dog.png (102 KB, 358x286) Image search: [Google]
t-dog.png
102 KB, 358x286
>In early 2000, during an interview with Le Monde[18] to announce his new production facility in London[19], Poilâne asserted that he had unwittingly employed Malick as an apprentice baker between the years of 1984 to 1992 under the pseudonym of Antoine de Tournesol. When asked during the initial interview why de Tournesol wanted to work for him, Poilâne recalled his only response to be; "Our minds are like dough, our hearts like flame." De Tournesol was a model employee, according to Poilâne, and in his exit interview, the reason given for leaving the company was "hearing yet again the drums [of war.]" Poilâne proceeded to laugh the experience off, stating he was "fond of Antoine's war movie," though he "didn't care for the pacing."[20]
>>
>>64352807
Of course, TOL, TTW and KOC are part of the same semi-autobiographical experiments. It's about his experience as a writer in L.A., his relationship with his father and brothers, his love of women.

Weightless is about the musical scene in Texas, which should be less autobiographical but still inspired by hanging out with his musician brothers.
>>
File: Malick Hat Maymay (1).jpg (36 KB, 240x324) Image search: [Google]
Malick Hat Maymay (1).jpg
36 KB, 240x324
>>64353006
>two fat guys rumbling in the bushes
>like two buffalo- they were big guys
>>
http://www.gq.com/story/badlands-oral-history

> You know Terry was married to a Frenchwoman, right? He tried to get her to live in Texas with him, and she did for a while, but she was unhappy. French people need their little market down the street and their friends; they don’t want to be in fuckin’ Texas. He felt he couldn’t work in Paris. It was too noisy and distracting. He’s now married to a woman who was the best friend of his high-school sweetheart, and they’re in a circle that involves people from back then. In the end, it turns out he’s not even gonna stay in New York, Boston, or LA—the scenes of his twenties—he’s gonna go back to the scenes of his adolescence to live his life.
TTW

>Whatever it took to function as a Hollywood personality had an enormous price for him, and he could see it as something that destroyed a lot of people, and almost made nobody get better as a person. And you’ve only got one life, and do you want to live it this way, where you’re constantly having to schmooze the suits? He’s incredibly skillful at something he presumably abhors, and maybe at a certain point he had to throw that over or drown in it.

> Terry didn’t show up for a meeting one day. And then the next day, nobody could find him. People started to get worried—maybe something had happened to him. For over a week, they didn’t know where he was, and then they got a phone call. He was in Paris, at the Louvre. He said, "I think I’m in love. Just pack everything up. I don’t want to do this movie right now."

KOC
>>
>mfw TMZ caught him hanging out with Benicio Del Toro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UraxfJFTJk

Are they gonna make a film together?
>>
>>64353756
he's supposed to be in Weightless, the Rooney/Goose one
>>
>>64353817
why do people keep on hiring this dumb rooney bitch
such a shitty actress
>>
>>64353756
Malick is a star fucker, why is he using so many top 10 faggots, should be using unknowns
>>
>>64353929

Autism respects Autism
>>
Why did he start releasing movies so prolifically in recent years?
>>
>>64350798
Ya'll niggas know he hit that
effin based
>>
at least we get these great press conferences where the actors try to bullshit their way out of questions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxAsV41p-q0
>>
>>64354047
He achieved Buddhahood.
>>
>>64354322
>48 minutes
Wew. Some good stuff in there though?
>>
>>64350408
nice
>>
>>64355281
33:55 guy asks about sucking hershlags toes
36:40 bale very carefully answers a question about the portrayal of women
41:33
the whole thing is pretty entertaining, just watch it while browsing /tv/
>>
File: laughingwhores.jpg (44 KB, 576x326) Image search: [Google]
laughingwhores.jpg
44 KB, 576x326
>>64355281
>>
>>64356455
When in the video is that question asked?
>>
Just finished KoC

>Christian Bale wanders around the GTA V Map: The Cinéma

I kid, it was brilliant. Obviously a sermon/polemic against spiritual corruption via the world of Hollywood, vice, excess and such. Very transcendental and/or Christian. Beautiful images. Score was perfect.

Never thought i'd see Jo Lo Truglio and Tom Lennon in a Malick film, or Fabio playing "himself." Also apparently Nick Kroll who I missed.

And he literally sampled one of the best scenes in Twin Peaks, the Major's vision
You think that was his and NatPort's baby at the end and she lied about abortion?
>>
>>64356605
apparently Joel Kinnaman and Dane DeHaan were completely cut
some other actors who were reduced to extras
>Jason Clarke
>Nick Offerman
>Joe Manganiello
based malick
>>
>>64356565
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqAHZuomBeY
>>
>>64356770
>Malick cut out Dane and Joel
>kept Dan Harmon and Joe Lo Truglio
absolute madman
>>
>>64356770

classic
>>
>>64356806
lel
>>
>During filming Terrence Malick would use a technique he called "torpedoing" where he would unexpectedly send people into the scene to get a reaction from the actors who were performing.

I got this feeling, God i love this Mad Man
>>
>>64356806

>I love your films Mr Malick
>Doesn't even know what he looks like

JOURNALISMMMMMMMM
>>
>>64350302
>Why has he not done a single interview in the last 50 years?
Critics are waiting for him to make a good film.
>>
>>64356806
>that Bale laugh
>>
>>64357954
oo did you fink was tha director?

wahaha
>>
>>64350346
This is the best meme of 2016
>>
>>64353756
>TMZ's cringe-inducing douchebag narrator
>>
>>64350346
I've seen this shit posted over the past week or so, where did it originate?
>>
>>64358748

Everyone wants to be the creator of the first big meme of the new year. Workin' on a couple myself.
>>
>>64351489

I still find it baffling how similar the two look
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.