[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am confused, so people now like the shit that was the prequels?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8
File: 1451569297076.jpg (31 KB, 331x257) Image search: [Google]
1451569297076.jpg
31 KB, 331x257
I am confused, so people now like the shit that was the prequels?
>>
>>64349434
There's a certain level of nostalgia for them in that they perfectly encapsulate the tastelessness that defined the zeitgeist of the late 90's and early 2000's.

People like the prequels in the same sense that hipsters like acid washed overall. Not for their quality, but for the nostalgia created by them as well as the impossibility to ever recreate something like them today.
>>
>>64349434
Another will make me that good, etc.
>>
>>64349434
ROTS is a more fun movie than ANH. You cannot argue this.
>>
>>64349434

We just appreciate them for having a soul and being an ambitious failure.
>>
Because the mainstream hates the prequels and /tv/ is a hipster board
>>
>>64349570
> soul
What does that mean exactly? I don't believe in God and have never thought of myself as having a soul.
>>
>>64349434

The majority of 4chan were born from 1995-2000. They were children when the prequels were released and remember them fondly.
>>
>>64349483
>>64349528
>>64349532
>>64349570
>>64349580
>>64349630
>>64349635
I will throttle you and keep my hands tightly wrapped around your neck until long after the life is gone and the rotting flesh begins to seep through my fingers
>>
Their hold up very well compared to the derivative shit of TFA that will be forgotten in 1 year just like Avatar
>>
>>64349630
don't do this
>>
They do have a lot of problems, but at least they weren't a complete rehash. At least there was some world building.

>inconsistencies with the ot
>bad horrible, cringe worthy "love" scenes
>dumb convoluted plotting by characters that should be smarter
>ideas that were intended to be conveyed were done so extremely poorly
>weird stylized homage to an era that no one cares about anymore

Mediocre movies all around but they were original. Ask someone today why they dislike the prequels and you'll get a bunch of word for word plinkett quotes
>>
>>64349532
RotS was an extended video-game cutscene populated by characters who are exactly dumb enough to progress the plot in the direction George wanted. It was shit.
>>
>>64349630
Stop being 16.
>>
File: Sorry JJ.jpg (185 KB, 1331x831) Image search: [Google]
Sorry JJ.jpg
185 KB, 1331x831
>>64349434
>>
File: 1409504832639.jpg (73 KB, 1024x574) Image search: [Google]
1409504832639.jpg
73 KB, 1024x574
>>64349655
>>
>>64349655
Never fucking reply to me again unless you're contributing to the thread.
>>
>>64349691
Do what? I honestly have no idea what people mean by soul.
It seems silly and backwards.
>>
File: The hero tv deserves.png (15 KB, 1319x160) Image search: [Google]
The hero tv deserves.png
15 KB, 1319x160
>>64349751
>>
The people that like them are speaking up against the RedditLetterMedia memesters.
>>
>>64349655
I PUSH MY FINGERS INTO MY
>>
>>64349570
they were bland and soulless. If you project them having it that's just your autism.
>>
File: colo claw.jpg (65 KB, 720x613) Image search: [Google]
colo claw.jpg
65 KB, 720x613
It's cool to like the sequels if you're an underwater Naboo monster.
>>
>>64349924
No George pushing CGI to the point where it makes up most of the movie is a bold, soulful, artistic choice
>>
>prequels
>having a soul

George Lucas ruined much of the aesthetic choices that made the original Star Wars so great, thus not feeling like TRUE Star Wars films.

1.The iPod generation aesthetic where everything is clean, shiny, and "futuristic" misses the setting of the older films. The settings are too pristine aside from the scenes on Tattooine; but even there the homes of Anakin and Pod Racing facilities are far more pristine than anything in the original trilogy

2. For supposed films for kids, there's an over reliance on a political subplot that runs through these films that are both convoluted and lack intellect and reasoning behind them. Why did Palpatine want to rule? To create a droid army? To kill Jedi? Why not capture Anakin? Why bother trying to persuade him by creating suspicion and dissension among the Jedi ranks? Why didn't Palpatine notice the power of Anakin, and his potential like everyone else did that was remotely force sensitive, in Episode 1? Etc.

3. What was the purpose, and the deliberate decision, of changing the sword fighting aesthetic when The Force Awakens proved it didn't need to change in the first place? Why was there too much effort into choreography when there was a comparative smaller effort in designing the script and story?

4. Obi Wan not finishing Anakin off on Mustafar runs counter to what he asks of Luke in the Original Trilogy? Obi Wan in the OT went through great lengths to sell Luke on the thought that Vader must be destroyed and there was no helping him. Even going as far as to obfuscating the fact Vader is Luke's father? That runs counter to his actions in Episode 3 when he leaves Anakin.

5. Speaking of which, why didn't Palpatines ship come across Obi Wans? Realistically being in the same compound, either ship would have been able to pick up on the other. Why didn't Palpatine and Obi Wan fight? Why didn't Obi Wan realize Palpatine -- a strong presence in the force -- was on his way?
>>
>>64350111
Why do internet fags thing they know what "true" Star Wars is, it's what Lucas tells you it is if you don't like it stick to capeshit
>>
>>64350186
>Why do internet fags thing they know what "true" Star Wars is, it's what Disney tells you it is if you don't like it stick to capeshit
>>
>>64350186
Because the first 3 films (original trilogy) set in stone what real Star Wars was.

And to no ones surprise, the best Star Wars films were the ones when he had the least creative control over them (A New Hope, and Empire Strikes Back).

Once he's given full control he falls back onto CGI sets (easier to film) and convoluted stories that lack internal logic.
>>
>>64350111
it's explained (really don't know if source is canon or not) that Obi-Wan sensed on Mustafar that Anakin's fate was still unclear, so he left it for the Force to decide.

Also, personally I believe that he still had a glimmer of hope that his friend was still in there, in the OT when he speaks about destroying Vader that's literally what Luke does, he destroys Anakin's evil side.
>>
>>64350254
So basically you want the same shit over and over again?
Enjoy you mass produced disney movies
>>
>>64350111

>pioneering a mostly unexplored visual style means the movie doesnt have a soul

uhh, what? sure it mostly looked like shit until episode 3 but that doesnt mean he wasnt trying
>>
>>64349434
Bad movies make it's not as bad, but still bad predecessors look good.

For example...

1. Fant4stic makes Story Fantastic Fours look good
2. Genisys makes Salvation look good
3. TFA makes the prequels look good
>>
>>64350186
>it's what Lucas tells you it is if you don't like it stick to capeshit
Prequelbabbies are true spineless betas. Lucas was one of the many, many people who made Star Wars special, him going against that many years later after alienating many of the original team with his autism, lead to a natural backlash.
>>
>>64350111
I thought the clean shiny look of the prequels were supposed to contrast the OT, since Obi-Wan talks about the Republic as a "more elegant age" and OT is supposed to be an "after the fall" setting
>>
>>64349655
Kinky.
>>
>>64350111
You lacking the attention span of a normal human does not make the movies bad.
>>
>>64350262
>>Anakins destiny unclear
>new best friend is a powerful Sith Lord who has extensively manipulated his emotions to make him feel justified that the Jedi are the ones that are evil

Kek m8
>>
>>64350254
Set in stone that's why movies are so fucking horrible everything is a fucking franchise or remake set in stone and endlessly repeated Lucas kept making it bigger and different and new not set in stone like Disney EU, if he wanted to take the easy way or he would have just copied what he did before like TFA not invent tons of new shit
>>
>>64350320
>Enjoy you mass produced disney movies
Spoken like a true underage hipster faggot
>>
>>64350353
Where does this constant race to the bottom end?
>>
>>64350320
uh, no. Wanting the same aesthetic and consistent world building =/= wanting the same story over and over again
>>
>>64350355
All the fucking neckbeards think everyone else made Star Wars great but Lucas do you look at a masterful painting and marvel at the frame and the stitching in the canvas?
>>
>>64350416
underage hipster faggots are the majority of prequel haters
>>
>>64349532
ANH: A movie so exciting, so full of novel twists on cinematic tropes, so well-edited and interesting that it spawns a multi-billion dollar empire and six sequels.

ROTS: A movie that was so "fun" that an insignificant number of viewers called for "MOAR" and it took over 10 years for another Star Wars movie to be made.
>>
>now
bonjour reddit
>>
>>64349434
The Star Wars arguments here are literally schizophrenic. Not even worth the time.
>>
>>64350503
He "painted" one of the movies with a shitload of help from other people, including the studio. Later on he got the power to do what he wanted, and he went back and made the original movies noticeably worse, before going on to making movies that made it clear that he didn't understand what made the OT special to people.
>>64350503
Thanks for confirming you weren't alive when AotC was released, now go do your homework kid
>>
>>64350672
The OT could use another CGI update.
>>
>>64350672
Other people helped him wow welcome to the definition of fucking movies I thought people made them alone
>>
>>64350503
This. Most people who grew up with the OT love the prequels.
>>
>>64349434
Because people enjoyed these films before they were told not too. You thought Episode 1 was the shit until people told you it was bad.

You were one of those "Episode 3 totally makes up for Ep1/Ep2" until someone told you Episode 3 was also bad.

And mark my words, you're going to hate VII when everyone tells you it is bad too (because VIII is going to be great - it's gonna be great).
>>
>>64351079
Like what do they think is better than the Prequels in that type of movie? Hunger Games? Generic Marvel capeshit? Hobbits? Tell me you millennial emo fags
>>
>>64349932
Are you the autist behind the Colo Claw? I would not be surprised to see you here, please respond because I really would like to exchange a few words with certified adult baby.
>>
>>64350438
>Wanting the same aesthetic

is fucking stupid. Why would the aesthetic be exactly the same before the Empire took over? Are you retarded?
>>
>>64350438
OT- ragrag rebels on absolute shithole planets on the run. Everything imperial is pristine and well maintained
PT- well populated ciivilian worlds. Of course shits not going to be grungy
>>
File: toaster-case-mod.jpg (53 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
toaster-case-mod.jpg
53 KB, 640x480
>>64349434
I liked them. I didn't LOVE them, but I'm not 13 years old anymore.

The voices of criticism (especially RLM) are fun,...a bit unfair to Lucas, but it's fun. It gets people thinking about film. But those voices have been LOUD as Millennials have grown up. That's okay, but let's see these movies for what they are, and enjoy them for what they are.
>>
File: TPM.png (15 KB, 354x329) Image search: [Google]
TPM.png
15 KB, 354x329
>>64351079
Nonsense. The prequels are the definition of shit movies inflated by nostalgia, the only people who liked them are the people who grew up with them.
>>
>faggots suddenly shitting on RoTJ

You can fuck off with this meme now.
>>
>>64349635
if if was born during the nazi era inn germany, i hope i could grow out of my love for hitler. so millenials can grow out of their love of the prequels if they try.
>>
>>64352211
And the people who like the new one are retarded cucks who will "ironically" vote for Bernie Sanders.
>>
>>64349655
Please don't throttle me, my internet is already pretty shitty.
>>
>>64351966
This. It's actually infuriating that OT fanboys want everything star wars related to be copypasta'd from ESB or some shit. You literally can't try anything new because it will "ruin the magic", even though they very well could just ignore the shit they don't like.
>>
>>64352243
>Post has nothing to do with TFA
>Waaaaaaaaaaaaa the force awakens and Bernie Sanders and cucks
Prequel lovers should kill themselves
>>
File: header.jpg (152 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
152 KB, 450x300
>>64350426
one can dream
>>
>>64349532

ANH is fun because it's genuinely exciting and enjoyable.

RotS is "fun" because it's an unintentional comedy.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.