[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /tv/, after years of procrastinating and hearing various
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 625x456) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 625x456
So /tv/, after years of procrastinating and hearing various anons praise it, I finally saw WFRR? I've got to say, it was pretty good, a very well done film with a great cast, but I will never watch it again and the reason is pic related.

What the fucking shit were they thinking? Did they not intend for children to see this or were people just mentally tougher back then?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RwPkAUBr4Sc
>>
>not this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4B_jDp0ffI
>>
>>64348076
That scene was also nightmarish, but After the show shoe being "dipped" I found that pretty tame.
>>
File: 1347164177575.gif (2 MB, 295x216) Image search: [Google]
1347164177575.gif
2 MB, 295x216
>>64348023
the book was even darker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2At-59aUSpw
>>
>>64348124
Having watched the film as a kid you're just bringing too much of your own context to it.

"REMEMBER ME EDDIE" is legitimately far scarier without personal context, however I can see where bringing some sort of personal reaction to the other scene would make it more terrifying.
>>
nigga I thought I was the only one who was scarred by that scene

shut still makes me feel cold inside
>>
>>64348023
>were people just mentally tougher back then?
Yes and no? Kids can handle more then you might expect OP.

Goonies had the scene where the kid almost got his hand pushed in to a blender. As a kid that scared the shit out of me, but even as a kid I knew it was a movie.

The only issue here OP is your lack of spine and projecting it to thinking that if you can't handle it nor can children.
>>
>>64348222
> Villain revealed scene is scarier than the adorable cartoon shoe being brutally (and slowly) murdered by acid as it screams in agony

Perhaps it requires empathy to find the shoe being killed the more horrible moment.
>>
>>64348023
that poor fucking shoe !
>>
File: giphy.gif (506 KB, 500x283) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
506 KB, 500x283
>>64348023
>>
>>64348023
I think it's worth to mention that the PG rating before the 90's was much different. It was in my obvervation equal to an R rating we have today: women can be topless and you can swear but only say Fuck once.

So they were able to get away with a lot of disturbing stuff while still being rated PG
>>
File: 1404581407530.png (683 KB, 919x720) Image search: [Google]
1404581407530.png
683 KB, 919x720
>>64348023
I don't necessarily think it was that people were mentally tougher, it was more WFRR had quite a few darker and more adult-like elements to it.

Out of all the scenes, that one is probably one of the cruelest ones to me too. But a lot of the movie had quite a bit of morbid moments.

>tfw you remember actually seeing this in the theater as a kid

What am I doing with my life?
>>
>>64348023

>were people just mentally tougher back then?

>Kids back then grew up watching Alien, Terminator, Predator and Halloween, Friday 13th etc. etc.

>Kids today grow up watching Steven Universe, MLP, Ricky and Morty and baby PG13 young adult movies.
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 700x387) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 700x387
>>64348349
I saw the goonies when I was a kid and nothing in it really bothered me besides the skeletons to a small degree.

Now this mother fucker right here was disturbing. The 1988 "The Blob" remake was truly fucked up and yes while it is a horror film it is fucked even by those standards. One of those few films that kills a off a kid and the poor SOB Dies horribly.

Link to blob (1988) death montage
http://youtu.be/FeYIGazVFHE
>>
>>64348734
>Ricky and Morty
Bad example, that shit can be really dark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0PuqSMB8uU
>>
>>64348900
LMAO way to much to find Rick and Morty even slightly disturbing. That was also a particularly good episode with Stephen Colbert stealing the episode and the season.
>>
>>64348840
Apples and oranges?
WFRR and The Goonies were made with kids watching in mind, they were both PG (80s PG is today PG-13 granted)

The Blob was a hard R rating even when it came out, it was never meant for kids to watch it.
>>
>>64348734
You can't really compare movies that are meant for adult with dark movie meant for kids, but yes, kids were tougher back then. You had every single movie by Don Bluth, Watership Down, The Last Unicorn, The Black Cauldron, The Brave Little Toaster, Charlotte's Web all dark and dealing with very adult things in kid's movies.
>>
File: rickscott.jpg (75 KB, 960x651) Image search: [Google]
rickscott.jpg
75 KB, 960x651
>>64348076
REMEMBER ME EDDIE?
>>
>>64348023
>>64348076
>>64348222

I saw this as a kid and hated it. As an adult I still can't look. It's not that it's scary. It's just awful. Who wants to see an innocent shoe get killed in such a slow torturous way? Whoever animated that scene is fucked. Just saying.
>>
>>64348023
this is literally the only scene that has ever made me cry
>>
>>64349061
> R movie Wasn't meant for kids to watch.

R horror movies back then are what kids went out of their way to see. Only the hugest toolboxes in the 10-14 yo age group would admit to not seeing a movie like the Blob when it came out.
>>
>>64349207
Man, are you purposefully being obtuse?

I said that the movies were not made with kids in mind, I never stated that kids didn't fucking watch them all the time.
>>
>>64349273
I'm saying that kids were a large part of the intended audience for the film. Back in the 80's kids went out of their way to see the latest horror films like the Friday the 13th series and nightmare on elm street.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.