[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So The Resistance has one part of the map to Luke, and The First
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: Starmap2.jpg (286 KB, 779x768) Image search: [Google]
Starmap2.jpg
286 KB, 779x768
So The Resistance has one part of the map to Luke, and The First Order has the other. At one point in the movie we see The Resistance's map, which shows a chunk of the galaxy with a missing piece in the middle where Luke is. Doesn't that mean The First Order has the relevant part? Why can't they just go there?
>>
>>64347670
They did a bad job showing, the section of the map they have is a much smaller piece than is useable. It's like having a map of downtown Prague with no street or landmark names, and then having a map of the word. You would never know how to find the house he's in from a different country without both pieces.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (55 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
55 KB, 1280x720
No. The endpoint was on bb8s piece. Why cant they go there? Apparently they now dont have a full star map of the galaxy anymore, even though you can get scans from views like this. Shitty retcon of AotC, shutty shoehorned plotline, shitty movie. Should have just been starkiller plans as intended
>>
>>64347778
If you gave someone a map with thr same 100s of points of reference bb8s piece had, you could absolutely find it by comparing it to google maps. They straight up retconned the galaxy being mapped
>>
The whole missing puzzle piece thing is stupid. I thought it was like random stars are missing from BB-8's map, and R2's would fill in the gaps.
>>64347815
>starkiller plans as intended
Starkiller Base felt like something added last minute 2bqh.
>>
>>64347815
>Shitty retcon of AotC

everything about AotC deserves to be retconned
>>
I thought R2 was the one with the rest of the map for the resistance?

The opening crawl talks about the fact that the whole galaxy is looking for this guy, so the maps we see are the accumulated information that both sides have put together, with as many blanks filled in as possible.

Since JJ can't into scale, the only way he could think to explain this visually to the audience is to have a massive chunk of the galaxy missing. Like it is some pirate's treasure map.
>>
Any writer with any kind of brain would have made the map encrypted and only usable with all of the map to decrypt.

JJ is a fucking moron.

and BB8 only exists to sell a new toy. R2 could have been in that role with no major difference to the entire script.
>>
>>64347985

>opening scene
>stormtroopers invading
>here R2, take these secret plans and go as far away as possible
>R2 gets 10 feet and blown to pieces because he's slow as fuck
>first order takes plans
>movie ends

that scene alone justified the need for a fast droid like bb-8
>>
File: rugrat.jpg (5 KB, 208x156) Image search: [Google]
rugrat.jpg
5 KB, 208x156
>>64347778
>have anti-gravity and plasma blasters
>don't have GPS
>>
>>64348027

R2 has rocketboots, and can move as fast as the script needs him too.
>>
It literally took Rey/Chewie/R2 less than a day's journey to get to Luke's planet. If I was directing, I would had spared maybe 30 seconds for a scene which depicts Rey sleeping, training, marking a calendar, etc etc to signify that weeks or maybe even months have passed -- because Luke's planet was that hidden

But no, instead it was but a seconds journey

>>64347778
>It's like having a map of downtown Prague with no street or landmark names, and then having a map of the word. You would never know how to find the house he's in

If I had 20 years like the Resistance had, yes I could
>>
>>64348070

That's fucking retarded.
>>
>>64348027
absolute shit and predictable
R2 can go as fast as they desire or even fly if necessary. managed fine for 6 other movies.
You are just trying to justify the obvious commercial decision.
BB8 going down stairs was equally slow and useless
>>
>>64348027
>First Order shoots its laser beam Death Star thing
>one of the lasers hits Luke's planet
>End movie
>>
>>64348070

>JJ adds an original creation to SW 7
>IT'S SHITTY AND FUCKING POINTLESS WHY WAS IT EVEN THERE

>JJ use a callback to an older SW movie
>FUCKING HACK WHERES THE NEW STUFF???
>>
>>64348165
>a mute, but sassy, sidekick droid
>an original creation
>>
in reality BB8 couldn't negotiate any large obstacles or gradients.
on an icy surface it would be totally fucking useless as a design
in tubulent conditions and R2 unit could clamp down and work fine
BB unit would be all over the place
>>
>>64348084
Dear retard,
The ship was traveling hyperspeed

From
Anon
>>
File: r2 d2 behind rocks.jpg (78 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
r2 d2 behind rocks.jpg
78 KB, 1280x720
>>64348165
Don't get me wrong, BB8 was one of the best things in the movie.

But that doesn't change the fact that R2-D2 is a MRY-5U model astromech, and the only way to stop him from saving the day is to have him in a coma for the whole movie.
>>
>>64348236
Hyperspace isn't supposed to be instantaneous.
>>
>>64348236

Hello

I knew someone would say this. So, two points I'd like to bring up

A) We see hyperspeed other times in the movies as well. Han uses hyperspeed twice. The X-Wings use hyperspeed. Han and the X-Wings travel around in hyperspeed all the time.

B) That said, theoretically, how hard would it be for the Resistance to just send an X-Wing out in all directions using hyperspeed to search for planets? They had 20 years.

In fact, this galaxy is so small, that a person on one planet can see other planets just as clearly as we see our moon.

Also, the journey from the Resistance Headquarters to the First Order took longer than the journey from the Headquarters to Luke's planet
>>
>>64348345
It's not hyperspeed, it's hyperspace. They don't just point in a direction and go there faster, they travel through a wormhole dimension or whatever and have to drop out at specific times to get to where they wanted to go. You can't take the scenic route basically.
Hyperspace cuts down travel time hugely (obviously, otherwise it would take millions of years to get anywhere) but it's no where near instant. It can take days or weeks if it's a long distance or a slow hyperdrive. The journey from Tatooine to Alderaan/Death Star tooks at least a few days, maybe a couple of weeks.
>>
>>64347882
He was in an uncharted region of space. Even a tiny, uncharted region might have 1000s of star systems, and because it's Star Wars each system could have life within it. It would be like searching the bottom of the ocean for a particular grain of sand. You have a general sense of where the oceans are, maybe you've done a rough scan of the surface geometry. But if you combine all the resources of the First Order and the Resistance, it will still be virtually impossible to locate it.
>>
>>64348855
>It would be like searching the bottom of the ocean for a particular grain of sand. You have a general sense of where the oceans are, maybe you've done a rough scan of the surface geometry.
and let's say the bad guys narrow it down to like the Indian Ocean (so he's not in the Pacific, Atlantic, or Arctic Oceans, in other words, but the Indian specifically, which is like the smallest ocean), you still have terrible odds of finding him by a brute-force search
>>
>>64349027
Traveling Salesman
>>
>old general guy has been hiding the plans to luke for at least 10 years for no reason whatsoever
>>
>>64349557
>for no reason whatsoever
The first order kills him and everyone in town as soon as they hear he has it.
>>
>>64348236

Even hyperspace travel takes time.

In the time it takes for Luke and Obi-Wan get from Tatooine to Alderaan's wreckage, the Empire blows up Alderaan, sends scout ships to Dantooine, searches Dantooine for the rebel base, decides it's not here, and reports back to Tarkin.

During the voyage, they have enough time for Obi-Wan start training Luke in the Force.

In Attack of the Clones, Anakin and Padme are able to respond to Obi-Wan's distress call pretty immediately, because they're less than a parsec away, but in that time Obi-Wan is captured, interrogated, thrown in a stasis field, and has a nice little chat with Dooku. They get captured in the droid factory, pushed through a show trial (which unfortunately wound up on the cutting room floor), and sentenced to die in the arena, along with Obi-Wan. This whole process seems to take some time, especially considering that have to prepare the arena and get the beasts ready, so we're talking at least days before the Jedi finally arrive to save everyone with the clones right behind them.

But in TFA, hyperspace is just an "instantly go anywhere" trick, because JJ's a shitty writer who can't stand the idea of maybe permitting the movie to fucking breathe for a second. That, or all the planets we see in the movie are REALLY CLOSE TOGETHER -- which would actually be supported by how Starkiller Base's laser is able to make it to the Hosnian system so quickly and how the laser and the system's destruction are visible from Takodana in the middle of the day immediately.

Takodana's not even a fucking light-year away from the Hosnian system at this rate, more like a light-hour at most.
>>
>>64349604

Then why didn't he offload it sooner so they would never have known?
>>
>>64350854
Everyone is looking for it. He's hiding on a shithole planet in first order space. Its literally the most valuable information in the galaxy.
>>
>>64348345

>hello

autism detected.
>>
>>64350793
This bugged the shit out of me in TFA. JJ is such a hack with no sense of scale
>>
>>64350793
>They get captured in the droid factory, pushed through a show trial (which unfortunately wound up on the cutting room floor)

thankyou for reminding me of this scene.

there is literally no chance Disney will ever make anything as wonderful in the new movies.
>>
>>64351150
>JJ is such a hack with no sense of scale

he doesn't give a shit.

he was literally going "I need to treat my audience like morons because it will maximize the % box office return".

he's a wall street investor not a director, stop giving him the benefit of the doubt by assuming he doesn't know what he's doing.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.