[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Unbiased Star Wars appraisal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 7
File: 2000px-Star_Wars_Logo.svg.png (109 KB, 2000x1207) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Star_Wars_Logo.svg.png
109 KB, 2000x1207
Themes/ideas:
Prequels>OT>>>>>>>>>>TFA

Writing:
OT>>>>>>TFA=Prequels

Action:
OT>/=Prequels>TFA

Music:
Prequels>OT>>>>>>>>>>>>>horseshit>>>>TFA

Characters:
OT>>>>>>>>>Prequels>>TFA

Cinematography:
OT>>>TFA>Prequels

Lasting impact (memorable moments, cultural influence etc.)
OT>>Prequels>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TFA

If you want me to explain what I mean by any of these ask.
>>
I agree with everything but tfa's action is better than prequels
>>
>>64342890
>Unbiased
>>
The prequels had some absolutely stellar standalone tracks (Invasion of Naboo, Duel of the Fates, episode II's love theme), but I think the OT was more consistent in its quality.

There are not immediately memorable but still great and recognisable tracks like Jundland Wastes and Escape From Boba Fett, and the OT has Binary Sunset, Imperial March, and Victory Celebration
>>
>>64342890
Pretty much yes.
>>
>>64343074
I considered the "memorable" aspect for music, but a big part of that is because the OT music is used EVERYWHERE (parodies, tie ins, vidya etc.)

Across the stars is my favorite star wars track desu
>>
>>64342890
Was the music really that bad? I mean it's John Williams. Even if he phoned it in there should be some gold in there somewhere.
>>
>>64342890
/underage opinons/ general
back to /v/eddit
>>
>>64343247
I honestly didnt believe it was williams until I saw the credits. The music was bugging me the entire time by how awful it was.
>>
>>64343247

>phoned it in

wat
>>
>>64342890

pretty concise list,
>>
>>64342890
>Writing:
>OT>>>>>>TFA=Prequels

Han Solo: That's a good story. I think you just can't bear to let a gorgeous guy like me out of your sight.
Princess Leia: I don't know where you get your delusions, laser brain.
[Chewbacca laughs]
Han Solo: Laugh it up, fuzzball.
>>
>>64342890
As disappointing as TFA was I think you're being too harsh on it. The writing, though uninspired, was at least competent and far exceeded the prequels. There should also be a greater distance between the cinematography of TFA and the prequels. The first shot of TFA, with the shadow of the ship over the planet was better than anything in 1-3.
>>
>>64342890
>Writing:
>OT>>>>>>TFA=Prequels

People actually believe this. Incredible.
>>
>>64343609
Tell that to kanjiklub
>>
>>64343624

droid pls
>>
>>64343596

Han Solo: Not a bad bit of rescuing, huh? You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.

Princess Leia: That doesn't sound too hard.
>>
>>64343688
What's so bad about that line?
>>
>>64343694

contrarian pls
>>
>>64342890
True unbiased and unretarded rankings:

Themes/ideas:
OT > Prequels > TFA

Writing:
OT > TFA >> Prequels

Action:
TFA > Prequels > OT

Music:
Prequels > OT >TFA

Characters:
OT > TFA > Prequels

Cinematography:
OT > TFA >> Prequels

Lasting impact (memorable moments, cultural influence etc.)
You can't even fucking rate this since TFA has been out for 3 weeks, but OT > Prequels

Prequels are all total shit. Yes, even III.
>>
>>64343847
This "rankings" all have a form of bias in them, but this is probably the one I agree with the most. Although, the prequels had the best action. If it was CGI or not, it had the most action over every single one of the movies.
>>
>>64343847
This is 100% correct. I'm also willing to bet that TFA will have more of a cultural impact because the only ones in the prequel trilogy are memes.
>>
File: 1451461636686.jpg (994 KB, 1677x995) Image search: [Google]
1451461636686.jpg
994 KB, 1677x995
>>64343847
Seconded.

TFA feels like Star Wars, prequels felt like pale wannabe imitations.
>>
>>64343847
yeah 100% correct
this is the offical rating from now
>>
>>64343933
Yeah
Finally Cocknose won't direct and disney can't pull out another nostalgia trip
I'm sure 8 will deliver
Unsure about 9 the Jurassic park guy isn't a good sing
>>
>>64342890
Is it really fair to compare TFA to two entire trilogies? The rankings should really be done by individual movie or at least the first movie in each trilogy.

I'll do that now:
Themes/ideas
ANH>TPM>TFA

Writing
ANH>TFA>>>TPM

Action
TFA>TPM>ANH

Music
TPM>ANH>>TFA

Characters
ANH>/=TFA>>>>>TPM

Cinematography
TFA>ANH>>TPM

Lasting impact
I'm predicting
ANH>>>>TPM>TFA
>>
>>64343941
But that's BAD! (according to /tv/)

>muh mary sue
>muh stupid lightsaber
>muh captain phasma
>muh bad soundtrack
>muh rehash
>muh pandering
>muh black storm trooper
>>
Writing:
OT = TFA = Prequels
They're all childrens movies with dumb lines and dumb characters

Music:
Prequels = OT >TFA

Characters:
OT = TFA > Prequels

Cinematography:
OT = TFA > Prequels

Aesthetic:
OT = Prequels >TFA

Special effects:
TFA > Prequels >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> OT
>>
>>64344034
8 needs to go in it's own direction to redeem the trilogy. We'll get a parallel to begin with when Luke is training Rey but hopefully they'll take bigger risks after that. Second sequels are almost never that great but it's too early to say now.
>>
File: live~01.png (144 KB, 330x317) Image search: [Google]
live~01.png
144 KB, 330x317
>>64344051
When it came down to it, the only things I really had any problems with were Finn too quickly turning on the Order, Phasma willing to lower the shield rather than take one for the team, and the frenetic pace at times that didn't give scenes enough room to breathe.

That's honestly it for me. Everything else just didn't bother me and felt more like nitpicks.
>>
>>64344046
>Writing
>ANH>TFA>>>TPM
Again. What are we basing this off here? The Phantom Menace has some of the worst dialogue and deliver in the history of cinema, that's a given. But what exactly did ANH do better with than TFA (or vice-versa). It's not so black and white in my opinion and comparing scripts between the movies that aren't the prequels is mainly personal opinion.
>>
>>64343609

>the opening shot

you mean the one lifted out of ANH?
>>
>>64343941
It's interesting you say that because the one thing I think you can say about the prequels is that they weren't afraid to be their own thing.
>>
>>64344148
>But what exactly did ANH do better with than TFA
I ranked ANH over TFA purely because TFA reuses a lot of the same plot points which felt fresh, or at least put a different spin on the classic hero's journey in ANH. Both movies were quite competent in the way they were written, not overly complex but they got the job done, unlike TPM which was a mess of plot errors and shitty dialogue as you said.

>>64344154
Still better than anything in the prequels.
>>
>>64343941
>TFA feels like Star Wars
no it doesn't, reddit
>>
>>64343941
No
TFA looks like a cheap syfy show and the villain has a comic relief scene

It's a Marvel flick with the name Star Wars on it
>>
File: Knightfall1.png (2 MB, 1919x816) Image search: [Google]
Knightfall1.png
2 MB, 1919x816
>prequels
>bad cinematography
>>
>>64344849
I'm starting think Kylo is actually meant to be an autist with daddy/grandaddy issues instead of just a Vader 2.0 that the trailers seemed to tease. Like a /r9k/ Sith.
>>
>>64345002
no shit
>>
File: 1450395129346.png (296 KB, 649x649) Image search: [Google]
1450395129346.png
296 KB, 649x649
When will TFAcucks give up defending their by-the-numbers regurgitation of Episode IV?
>>
>>64344897

>all you need to be "good cinematography" to /tv/ is a wide shot of literally anything, even a clusterfuck of nonsense

lmao
>>
>>64345002
deleted scene with him and snoke

“Kylo Ren, I watched the Galactic Empire rise, and then fall. The gullible prattle on about the triumph of truth and justice, of individualism and free will. As if such things were solid and real instead of simple subjective judgments. The historians have it all wrong. It was neither poor strategy nor arrogance that brought down the Empire. You know too well what did.” Ren nodded once. “Sentiment.” “Yes. Such a simple thing. Such a foolish error of judgment. A momentary lapse in an otherwise exemplary life. Had Lord Vader not succumbed to emotion at the crucial moment—had the father killed the son—the Empire would have prevailed. And there would be no threat of Skywalker’s return today.”
>>
>>64345038
Never fucking reply to me again unless you're contributing to the thread.
>>
>>64344897

>the music playing during this scene

that's what TFA was lacking.
>>
>>64342890
>Themes/ideas:
>Prequels>OT>TFA

>Writing:
>OT>TFA>Prequels

>Action:
>OT>TFA>Prequels

>Music:
>Prequels>OT>TFA

>Characters:
>OT>TFA>Prequels

>Cinematography:
>OT>TFA>Prequels

>Originality
>OT>Prequels>TFA
>>
>characters
>prequel > tfa
>>
>>64344897
I'm sure there probably are good shots but this isn't one of them.
>>
>>64345002
you are the densest nigger on the planet
>>
Themes/ideas:
OT>Prequels>TFA

Writing:
OT>Prequels>TFA

Action:
OT>TFA>Prequels

Music:
OT>Prequels>TFA

Characters:
OT>TFA>Prequels

Cinematography:
TFA>OT>Prequels

Lasting impact (memorable moments, cultural influence etc.):
OT>Prequels>TFA
>>
TFA had a better lightsaber fight than any of the prequels. Looked like two people trying to wreck each other rather than choreographed spaghetti-kempo
>>
>>64342890
>Writing:
>OT>>>>>>TFA=Prequels
>
>Cinematography:
>OT>>>TFA>Prequels
Nah.

Writing:
TFA>OT>>Prequels

Cinematography
Prequels>OT=TFA

All movies are well shot, but the prequels get extra points for their ability to genuinely subtly and cleverly mirror the way the OT was shot

The writing may have been awful in the prequels, but it still wasn't good in the OT either, TFA is at least extremely polished in it's writing, if not memorable
>>
>>64345204
No.

TFA got the weight of sabers completely wrong. Go back to watching LotR, fag.
>>
>>64342890

I pretty much agree with OP

Themes/Ideas:
OT>>>PT>>>TFA

Writing(Basically, dialogue, humor):
OT>>> TFA >>> PT

Action:
OT>>> PT>>> TFA

Music:
OT>>>PT>>> TFA

Cinematography:
OT>>>PT>>>TFA

NEW Characters:
OT>>> TFA >>> PT

Originality:
OT>>> PT>>>TFA
>>
>>64345241
What do you mean got the weight wrong? It was much more in line with how they acted in the OT movies, rather than the ultralight rave sticks featured in the prequels. Even if they were on the heavy side they weren't treated like zwei-handers
>>
>>64342890
>characters
>prequels

I don't know why I responded
>>
>>64345498
>ultralight rave sticks
That's literally what they are. The blade is weightless.

Kylo gets dragged around by his saber in every fight he's in. It's retarded.
>>
>liking prequel "characters"
>>
>>64344897
>posting a screenshot from the cartoon in a thread about the movies
>>
>>64342890
I agree with everything except the cinematography, the prequels look pretty great.
>>
>>64345143
>prequel
>characters
>>
>>64344046
>Cinematography
>TFA>ANH>>TPM
>TFA first
Yeah.... no
>>
>>64345066
Hello reddit!
>>
>>64344051
>it's new so it's good

FTFY
>>
>>64345646
>>64345498
>>64345241
>>64345204

>muh mystical force doesnt need to be realistic no video game level ups just BULEAVE

>but muh lightsaber battles need to feel like trudging through molasses muh REULIZUM muh WEIGHT

TFA apologists truly are the worst people.
>>
>>64346739
Realistic != Believable
>>
>>64343609
>The first shot of TFA
But the ending helicopter shot was the worst shot in all 7 movies so it evens out.
>>
>>64343609
>The first shot of TFA, with the shadow of the ship over the planet was better than anything in 1-3.
>What is the opening shot of 3
>>
>>64346739

Agreed.

>muh mystical force

This is honestly the dumbest anti-prequel argument out there. The force is so fucking obviously congenital, why else would kenobi spend 20-odd years looking over anakin's kid rather than recruiting someone else
>>
>>64346839
IT'S SO DENSE
>>
>>64346890
No, the opening shot is a pan down to only one ship.
At least watch the movies you bash.
>>
>>64346875
>why else would kenobi spend 20-odd years looking over anakin's kid rather than recruiting someone else
...but that is from the prequels
>>
>>64346944
No it isn't. Kenobi intentionally picked out Luke because he was Anakin's son
>>
>>64346944
Are you retarded? It's heavily, heavily implied that Obi is there because of Luke in multiple scenes in ANH.
>>
>>64343708

>Luke Skywalker: I shot him, I shot him! Whoopee!

>Han Solo: Excellent job, my friend! Please just don't get too cocky. Please do that one thing for me, capiche?

yeah, great dialogue in these originals of yours
>>
>>64347055
>Leia: we did it!
C H E E S E
>>
>>64342890
Action:
Clone Wars > the rest
>>
File: mus.jpg (777 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
mus.jpg
777 KB, 1920x1080
>m-m-muh cgi
>>
>>64344163
Original shit is still shit.
>>
>>64344700
>>64344849
>trying this hard
>>
>>64342890
>If you want me to explain what I mean by any of these ask.

>Characters:
>Prequels>>TFA

go on
>>
>>64342890

You're almost right, but I would definitely revise cinematography to

OT>PT>>>>TFA

TFA just has this shitty action movie cinematography that never really tried to create a great moment outside of the bridge scene at the end.

The PT is full of all kinds of gorgeously composed shots.
>>
>>64349808
None of the new characters are interesting at all. Their dialog is (somewhat) better written, but Kylo Ren, Rey, and Finn don't compare to Maul, Padme, and Qui-gon in terms of actual character
>>
>>64343247

The problem is this:

In the six Lucas films, John Williams not only composed the score, he also conducted the London Symphony Orchestra in playing it.

In The Force Awakens, John Williams only composed the score. William Ross conducted a freelance orchestra in playing it.

The result is that even if Williams didn't phone it in, it sounds like he did because everyone else involved wrecked it.
>>
>>64342890
Reddit: the post
>>
>>64343247
All the gold in TFA's soundtrack was lifted from the OT
>>
>>64345372
>>64346184
>>64350008
Redditors
>>
>Rey pulls the lightsaber
>Force theme plays
>it's literally the exact track used when Luke gets home and sees Owen and Beru dead, they didn't even try to re-record it or anything

LITERAL WORST
>>
>>64350231
I noticed that too.
>>
>>64350231
LOL REMEMBER?
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.