[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: things we like about the prequels. The saber fights, especially
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 245
Thread images: 39
File: 1-prequels.jpg (166 KB, 1417x700) Image search: [Google]
1-prequels.jpg
166 KB, 1417x700
ITT: things we like about the prequels.

The saber fights, especially the one between Obi wan and Grievous
>>
The fact that they're better than TFA
>>
I like how bad they are because it made me realize how much I took the original trilogy for granted
>>
>>64332868
>the saber fights
Literally the worst part of the prequels
>>
>>64332868
Almost nothing. Ewan McGregor was pretty consistent.
>>
File: ford.png (112 KB, 256x241) Image search: [Google]
ford.png
112 KB, 256x241
Talking about them on /tv/ :^)
>>
Oh God the saber fights are incredible. I love the character arcs, the stylised CGI that mostly holds up to this day, all the memorable one-liners and dialogue, the political intrigue, Sheev, how could you not love Sheev? It's all amazing, me and my wife's son adore the prequels.
>>
I liked the memes and sheevposting it spawned.

Also Darth Maul fight was cool I guess.
>>
>>64332868
Ewan Mcgregor as Obi Wan
Ian Mcdiarmid as Sheev
Darth Maul
Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon
The saber fights albeit sometimes over the top and slightly ridiculous
The music thanks to John Williams, specifically Across the Stars
Christopher Lee
Samuel motherfucking Jackson
Some of the world building is interesting, albeit slightly flawed. Coruscant and other planets are cool.
Revenge of the Sith, fuck you it's a good movie despite some flaws
The space battles, particulary ROTS' opening one
Some of the mythology was expanded

That's all I can think of, there are more negative things to the prequels though.
>>
>>64332868
The Soundtrack
Pod Racing N64 game
I thought the Yoda fights were hype as a kid, but now they just look silly.
>>
>>64332899
This tbqh.
>>
>>64332868
they were made before force awakens
>>
literally everything except the overuse of CGI and some of the dialogue
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 480x360
>>64332991
ACHOOBADANAYAAAA!!!
>>
podracing, obi wan and qui gon vs maul, 1/4 end part of ROTS
>>
>>64332941
>the saber fights are incredible.
>the prequels

Fuck you.
>>
>>64332941
>my wife's son
Nice try.
>>
the music
the new worlds
the lore
Sheev
>>
>>64332920
>muh plinkett
Commit sudoku now.
>>
>>64332941
>my wife's son

This shit is getting stale fast.
>>
>>64333242
The lightsaber fights were shit. You don't need a Plinkett review to see that.
>>
>>64333212
>>64333260
Someone needs to explain to me about this wife's son shit, whenever I bring that up I get these kinds of responses, am I not allowed to interject my personal life into these discussions? Isn't part of what television and films are about is how they influence and effect your lives? Or is this some stupid meme at my expense?
>>
Tolerable saber fights

Dooku and his balling Form II
Maul vs Qui Gon and Obi Wan

Shit saber fights

Everything else
>>
That CGI show The Clone Wars.
That's pretty much it.
>>
They birthed this and the CGI cartoon
>>
>>64333400

the prequels should have been that series and parts of episode 3.
>>
>>64333408

Overrated and cheesy as fuck
>>
>>64332899
This
>>
>>64333442
>complaining about cheese in star wars
>>
File: JangoInfobox.png (269 KB, 500x475) Image search: [Google]
JangoInfobox.png
269 KB, 500x475
Always a pleasure to meet a jedi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhnhR9QdfUg&index=5&list=PLE42377F3DF313986
>>
>>64332899
>>64333019
>>64333480
Hello Reddit!
>>
>>64332868
The saber fights were spinny bullshit. Cool to watch, not believable in the slightest.
>>
I liked the world building.
>>
>>64332868
>podracing scene
>darth maul duel with obi and qui
>world designs and starship designs
>jango fett and the battles with obi
>coliseum battle with the alien animals
>when anakin got his arm chopped
>sheev in all his glory
>god tier cgi that looked realistic and btfos cgi today still
>>
>>64333622
This
>>
File: Sheev Costanza.jpg (61 KB, 485x458) Image search: [Google]
Sheev Costanza.jpg
61 KB, 485x458
>>64333664
>spinning
>a bad thing
>not a good trick
>>
>>64333622
>Someone has an opinion that is different from mine.
>Ill call them Reddit, that'll show them.
>>
>>64332941
Is this bait?
Are you really a cuck?
>>
>>64333664
>fights must be realistic when the movies have a lot of fantasy bullshit
Take that Plinkett dick out of your mouth.
>>
>>64333854
seriously, plinkett has good points but fuck these are super powered fantasy characters. they can spin and jump and do whatever the fuck they have within their fantasy limitations. fights were fine
>>
>>64333794
Oh my God please explain this to me, what am I saying that apparently means I'm a cuck? Why do people keep saying stuff like this?
>>
>>64332868

>the huge expanse of new characters, planets, and vehicles that laid the groundwork for some awesome fucking Star Wars vidya.
>Darth Maul
>the fucking music holy shit, TFA is just BTFO in this department
>any and all saber fights
>the focus on world-building with the in-universe politics as opposed to just throwing characters between set-pieces
>the droids
>Jar Jar Binks (I'm being serious, he's not that bad)
>Qui-Gon Jinn
>everything going to shit in Episode III
>boatloads of CGI that's just great to look at
>not giving a fuck if it's not old-fashioned; paving a new direction for the series

So many great things about these movies. I love em all except for the second one. Plinkett is still right, but that doesn't mean I never had a love for this particular side of Star Wars.
>>
File: 556arg.jpg (18 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
556arg.jpg
18 KB, 400x300
>>64332868
The Pod race scenes was one of the most well directed scenes in the entire prequel trilogy. There is very little dialogue (thank god), we are able to follow all of the action clearly with beautiful wide shots of Tatooine, and the character motivations are clear and understood. On top of all this the pod races added new lore to the Star Wars universe; the idea of a competitive sport in their science fiction realm.

The other great scenes was of course between Anakin and Sheev. Anakin is told the story of a powerful Sith lord who had the power to save lives through the power of the dark side of the force, seducing the young Jedi into joining their evil endeavors. It's good lore building, we learn there are other Sith that took other apprentices as well. We get to see Anakin shut the fuck up for two seconds. Sheev just carries the scene with his cadence as well as the gorgeous opera they are viewing.

Lastly I will say the opening to Revenge of the sith was the only time the prequels ever came close to emulating the original trilogy. It starts out with a huge space battle immediately throwing the viewer into the action alongside Anakin and Obi-Wan in their respective starfighters. After some intense space combat the two Jedi Knights board an enemy ship to rescue a hostage, Palpatine. We see some comedy with R2D2 lighting the droids on fire after he alerted them to his presence. The Jedi go toe to toe with a Sith Lord and in the final moments Anakin kills him after having his emotions manipulated by Palpatine. We learn so much just from these few opening scenes, and then the rest of the movie turns into a boring light show with stilted dialogue.

The score is also excellent. Tracks like: Battle of the Heroes; Anakin's Betrayal; Anakin vs Obi-wan; The Sith Spacecraft and The Droid Battle; and of course everyone's favorite Duel of Fates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05dT34hGRdg
>>
>>64332899
Fuck off, retard.
>>
>>64333103
WATTO THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN
>>
>>64334243
Hello, Reddit!
>>
>>64332868
You guys are ridiculous.

Those saber battles were boring and had ZERO suspense.
>>
>>64334015
>>Jar Jar Binks (I'm being serious, he's not that bad)

Anon pls
>>
>>64334273
The prequels were hot garbage, you contrarian faggot.
>>
>>64334310
So was TFA
>>
>>64334326
Return of the Jedi is worse than the prequels or Force Awakens
>>
>>64334294

It was seriously better to have a dedicated Comic Relief character than making virtually everyone a Comic Relief like in TFA. Funny enough, he was one of the more memorable characters in all the Prequel trilogy, and not just because he is fun to hate.
>>
>>64332868
I thought they did a good job with the scenery, and the opening to ROTS
>>
>>64332868
Jar Jar Binks was honestly a great character, and brought much needed levity and comic relief to the series. He was truly original and imaginative, things that TFA was not in the least. The only people that hate him are redditors because le plinkett told them to
>>
No retarded puppets. More fleshed out world. No stupid fucking robots. Did more with the narrative than just try to retell a generic monomyth. Still shit like 4-6 but at least there was some background bullshit I could occupy myself with.
>>
>>64332868
Episode 1
>The podrace. Holy shit that entire sequence was great.
>Palpatine's little "we will watch your career with great interest" line near the end. Nine years old and Sheev's already picked him out.
>Liam Neeson
>Amidala actually being kinda badass and masterminding a strategy to retake her planet THAT ACTUALLY WORKED.
>Duel of the Fates

Episode 2
>Christopher Lee
>Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan was a HUGE step up from episode 1.
>The poster inspiring Mad Magazine's "Gulf Wars: Clone of the Attack" parody.
>Motherfucking Death Star

Episode 3
>Obi-Wan and Anakin banter. Honestly I'd watch an entire movie of these two just tossing one liners and having adventures.
>The entire opening battle/chase/rescue...everything up until Padme shows up.
>Order 66 Sequence

OTHER
>Tartakovsky's Clone Wars
>The Worldbuilding
>>
>>64334294
no worse than yoda or chewbacca, or the fuckin ewoks
>>
>>64334469
Also under Episode 2
>That troop scene at the very end where they do a slow buildup to the Imperial March
>>
>>64334372
>>64334471
I don't know if you guys are trolling or something, but I just rewatched the prequels and Jar jar was still as annoying and retarded as I remembered him to be

The only time he's tolerable is in that TCW episode where the gungan general duels Grievous

>>64334469
Don't forget
>Love pledge & the arena
>Across the stars
>Battle of champions

Wiliams really outdid himself on the prequels
>>
>>64334561
>le "Jar Jar is annoying" meme
how's it going reddit?
>>
>>64334469
Also:

>The pre-movie videogames they inspired (KOTOR/KOTOR2 2)
>Battlefront 1 and 2
>Star Wars: Battle for Naboo
>>
>>64333694
This.
>>
File: ThortonReedMocks.webm (238 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
ThortonReedMocks.webm
238 KB, 640x480
>>64332868
>The saber fights, especially the one between Obi wan and Grievous
>SpinningLightsabers.gif
Besides that Obi Wan v Grevious is easily one of the dumbest fights
>a powerful jedi vs a cyborg quad wielding lightsabers
>Obi Wan barely struggles against him, Grevious never comes close to using the colossal advantage he has
>Obi Wan randomly swings in the middle of attacks and somehow takes off his arms
>the fight devolves into a Lizard V spinning wheel chase that ends with Obi Wan winning in the laziest, most anit-climatic way short of Grevious BSOD-ing.
>>
>>64334601
And republic commandos
And that pod racing game
>>
The world-building is excellent unlike in TFA, which has the benefit of being able to inherit the original trilogy's world - when it deviates it seems incredibly retarded, like the first planet being Tatooine but they have to call it something else to make it look like they are actually world-building.

I have vivid memories of Naboo and Coruscant and a view to their general character as planets, unlike any of the environements in TFA.

I also really don't have a problem with the Sith/Senate/Trade Federation conspiracy at the heart of the prequels. It isn't executed perfectly but I really like that they give you a sense of political dynamic.

By contrast, the new one is a vague mess. Why would the New Republic not view the First Order as a threat when they know they have the capacity to build world-destroying weapons? Why would the First Order ever have stopped using an obedient and uniform clone army in favour of kidnapping random niggers who lack courage?
>>
>>64334701
'sup reddit
>>
>>64332868

The score, Obi-Wan and Sheev at their prime. Also the worlds are far memorable than anything in TFA
>>
Qui-Gon was just a straight up gangster. He basically didn't buy into the Jedi elitism, saved Anakin (whose lineage will most likely restore the Jedi), and immortalized himself becoming stronger than the rest.

Darth Maul was cool too. The double lightsaber was better than the cross one in TFA.

Pod racing was pretty nice and I didn't mind the little kid who played Anakin.

I liked at the Clone Wars you see the massive army on the rise and a tone of darkness for what's to come.

Anakin killing kids.
>>
>>64334735
This sums up everything
>>
Duel of the Fates. I'm convinced it's the main reason the Maul duel is so fondly remembered by some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzVBqBosf5w
>>
>>64334750
Younglings*
>>
>>64333854
>>64333921
>there's a lot of fantasy stuff so the movies should just abandon any semblance of reality because it looks cool
Millennials: the post
>>
>>64333366
If he's not your son, but you're married to the mother, you are literally a cuck
>>
>>64334596
Hello Reddit!
>>
>>64332868
>The saber fights

the only decent one was Darth Maul, the others were terrible. Objectively terrible.
>>
>>64334840
What does reality mean when you can lift whole ships with your mind?

If anything the prequels don't use the force nearly enough
>>
corn on the cob

>corn on the kabob
>>
>>64332868
>ITT: things we like about the prequels.
literally everything aside from Jar Jar and kid Anakin. Wish it was Hayden in ep 1
>>
>>64334878
Pretty much this. They took some time to show off the area they were all fighting in, but for the most part the focus was more on the three combatants.

Episode 2? It started off promising with Dooku toying with the other two, but then Yoda started leaping about like Kermit the Frog fighting Tim Curry in Muppet Treasure island and it just...kinda lost its dignity.

Episode 3's fight with Anakin and Obi-Wan just went on FAR too long.

Also Yoda vs. Palpatine was fitting with the battle taking place in the Senate chamber, and the demonstration of 'size matters not' with them whirling hoverpods around worked briefly, but like Episode 2's final battle, the way they kept leaping around detracted.
>>
>>64334994
>literally just was telling my mom this very thing

Well, and the dialog between padme and Anakin in every movie. When they are talking to one another it's maximum cringe.
>>
>>64334469
>>Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan was a HUGE step up from episode 1.
>Obi-Wan wasn't god tier in phantom menace
nah shit taste
>>
>>64335042
I mean Anakin was an ex-slave child being indoctrinated by celibate monks who forced him to suppress all his feelings for 10 years.

I don't know why people expected him to flawlessly charm the girl he fawned over for 10 years.
>>
>>64335089
Anon I think you and I are the same person posting from separate time lines. Divergent paths. I told her the same thing.

But it's still the worst dialog in all 7 films.
>>
>>64334994
>Jar Jar wasn't god tier
when will this reddit meme die
>>
>>64335116
3rd anon here, I told her as well, she replied
>It's normal when people are in love

My mom is the biggest pleb I have ever seen
>>
I liked Darth Maul. They gave him ridiculous death though. There's no way he wouldn't have reacted and blocked when Anakin jumped up. Basically, I think Anakin had no chance against him. Same as Rey had no chance against Kylo but won for a bullshit reason, just like Anakin.
>>
>>64335016
Another plinkett faggot. Yoda is established as a skilled swordman before he fights Doku, is not like George pulled it out in the last minute.

Jedis use the light saber as their weapon that's also established.

Think for your self, damn.
>>
The soundtracks are great. Classic Star Wars.
>>
GLIB
>>
>>64335185
Obi Wan*

You're right though
>>
>>64335193
When is R2D2 established as an accomplished self-propelled pilot?
>>
>>64335242
Never fucking reply to me again unless you're contributing to the thread.
>>
>>64335270
FACSIMILE
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HPxaB7rURE
>>
Obi wan was good.
>>
>>64335303
>Sheev addressing Cody directly

He's such a nice he made personalized orders for every clone
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05dT34hGRdg

this scene
>>
File: file.png (627 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
file.png
627 KB, 1366x768
>>64335341
BASED SHEEV
>>
>>64335343
>you will never live in the star wars universe
>you will never go to giant floating bubbles operas
>>
>>64332868
Qui Gon
the pod race is kinda pretty alright without the commentary
Darth Maul
Christopher Lee (more Christopher Lee himself than the character of Count Dooku. Does this make any sense?)
The opening of Revenge of the Sith
nearly everything to do with Sheev but, especially the opera scene.

This scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_YozYt8l-g
because it adds an emotional background & history to Vader & Obi Wan's lightsaber battle in the original Star Wars movie. Two old men barely moving and hitting each other's glowy sticks suddenly has more power to it when you've witnessed those men when they were younger in an emotionally charged battle against each other.

Contrast Anakin's "I HATE YOU" against Darth Vader's practically emotionless coolness & taunting in ANH. Contrast how heartbroken Obi Wan is after defeating Anakin in ROTS vs. when he comes face to face with Vader and he's almost as cold & emotionless as Vader is like, no one watching would be able to tell that Vader was once a man he deeply cared out. Honestly, watching ROTS made the lightsaber battle in ANH a lot heavier & depressing to watch for me.
>>
>>64332868
Casting. That was it. Everything else was wrong on almost every level.
>>
>>64335116
>>64335144
>her
1st anon here

wat
>>
There wasn't a black main character.
>>
>>64335494
3rd anon here

Is your mom a man?
>>
>>64335527
no, is yours?

also women can't be men, fuck trannies and fuck bruce jenner
>>
-Prime Natalie Herschlag.
-Prime Natalie Herschlag's middriff.
-Liam Neeson as Quigon, a a sly, reserved Jedi Master at the top of his game.
-How the Galactic senate looked visually.
-The mechanical design of those roly shield droids.
-Duel of the Fates.
-Slightly expanding the lore of Jedi religious practices.
-Umm... and the podracing video games.
>>64332920
You're right desu.
They're bad as story devices, and they retroactively make the universe look more silly. However when viewed independently they still hold up as eye candy.
>>
>>64335545
Not as far as I know

>fuck trannies
n-no homo right?
>>
>>64335575
im still not sure what you guys were referring to as telling 'her' unless you're saying you told my mom something or im missing a meme here

>n-no homo right?
=/
>>
>>64335193
>Yoda is established as a swordsman

When? Because Jedi use lightsabers?

He's over 9000 years old, there's literally no reason to assume the 3'6 muppet is still or ever was a warrior, which is the entire point of his character in the original trilogy. Jedi aren't just heroes with laser swords, they're supposed to be avatars for a magical omnipotent force for good in the universe, which is how the unlikeliest of warriors happens to be the greatest.

Yeah, Plinkett did the bit about having him throw away his cane and pinball around with a laser tableknife undermining everything, but I'd like to see some evidence that Yoda was ever a saber fighter.
>>
>>64334890
I think they use it too tactically, starts feeling more like a super power than some religious ability, I suppose that's what happens when you have no rules.
>>
>>64335411
>"I HATE CHEW(IE)!!!"

what did he mean by this?
>>
>>64335641
Her as in our respective mothers you silly faganon

>>64335734
Seemed like they used it completely randomly in the middle of a fight to me
>clash with sabers for a few seconds
>suddenly random force push into a wall
>come back
>rinse
>repeat

TCW is especially guilty of this

I liked seeing OP as fuck jedi in Genndy's CW 2bh
>>
>>64335708
> but I'd like to see some evidence that Yoda was ever a saber fighter.
In one of those long boring shots of Anakin and Obi-Wan walking somewhere while taking they could have walked past a Hall of Lightsaber Tournament Champions with Yoda's name on it.
>>
>>64335797
sorry i dont think my moms seen star wars so i never explained that to her

i only told my fellow star wars bros
>>
>>64335893
Oh

Well mine's seen it plenty of times but she still knows nothing about it and actually told me that she found Jar Jar funny

As I said, the plebbiest pleb ever
>>
File: 1431224946534.png (161 KB, 315x330) Image search: [Google]
1431224946534.png
161 KB, 315x330
>>64332868

This scene is legitimately great

https://youtu.be/v_YozYt8l-g
>>
>>64332868
>The saber fights
F*ck yeah brah, love that cold emotionless choreography.
>>
File: 1446581952486.png (577 KB, 435x660) Image search: [Google]
1446581952486.png
577 KB, 435x660
>>64332868
Mcdiarmid
Mcgregor
dat williams score
dat podrace scene
dat phantom menace lightsaber fight
dat ham from Lee
the good handful of good vidya spawned from the movies
>>
>>64336022
>I HATEYAAAOU

fuck this shit, the prequels are garbage
>>
>>64336022
I wouldn't call it "great."

Serviceable certainly if not for the previous scene where Obi Wan being on a slightly raised hillside decided the entire fight.
>>
>>64336151
>>64336189

The emotion catered in this scene is fantastic. The anger/frustration/hate/dissapointment from Anakin & the sadness/disappointment/despair from Obi-Wan.

Its perfect
>>
>>64333706
has me until the cgi, that shit was garbage
>>
How the fuck do people think 4-6 is better than 1-3 holy shit.
>>
>>64332868
>ITT: prequel apologist retards bargaining
What's the matter with you people? There was nothing to like about the prequels.
>>
>>64334469
I never got the whole "Worldbuilding" meme. I mean if the world your building is stupid and nonsensical and requires dozens of additional novels and comics in order to fit with the last three movies how is that a good thing?
>>
>>64335986
Jar jar is less annoying than chewbacca
>>
File: sheev.png (8 KB, 359x291) Image search: [Google]
sheev.png
8 KB, 359x291
>>64336426
Only a sith deals in absolutes
>>
>>64336426
>stop liking what I don't like
wew
>>
>>64332868
I like the politics
>>
>>64334349

reddit
>>
Why did Vader freeze solo in carbon?
>>
>>64336426
If you didn't like the prequels I don't see how you liked the sequels.
>>
>>64336605
Because Vader wanted to placate Jabba.
>>
>>64336605
He has good taste in home decoration
>>
File: morge blucas.jpg (42 KB, 600x433) Image search: [Google]
morge blucas.jpg
42 KB, 600x433
“Yousa thinking yousa people ganna die?”
“I don’t care what universe you’re from, that’s got to hurt!”
“Love won’t save you, Padme. Only my new powers can do that.”
“…Don’t try it, Anakin. I have the high ground!”
“I’m haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me.”
“Are you an angel?”
“I don’t like sand. It’s coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.”
“Ye gods, whatta meesa sayin’?”
“I sense Count Dooku.”
“I can’t take Dooku alone! I need you!”
“I’ve been wondering… what are midi-chlorians?”
“Chesco, Sebulba. Chipoka oomen geesa. Me teesa radical fbombati chop chawa.”
“I have the POWER! UNLIMITED… POWER!”
“Droidekas!”
“Uh! So uncivilized.”
“Now this is pod racing!”
“So this is how liberty dies… with thunderous applause.”
“…It is only natural. He cut off your arm, and you wanted revenge.”
“Mom, you said that the biggest problem in the universe is no one helps each other.”
“He owes me what you’d call a ‘life-debt.’ Your gods demand that his life belongs to me.”
“From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!”
“Now that I’m with you again, I’m in agony. My heart is beating, hoping that that kiss will not become a scar.”
“Your mother had gone out early, like she always did, to pick mushrooms that grow on the vaporators.”
“For reasons we can’t explain, we are losing her.”
“…Well, then you really are lost!”
“He said… you killed younglings!”
“I have waited a long time for this moment, my little green friend.”
“…I’ll try spinning. That’s a good trick. Whoa-ah!”
“…We used to come here for school retreat. We would swim to that island every day. I love the water. We used to lie out on the sand and let the sun dry us and try to guess the names of the birds singing.”
“Ray shields!”
“Just being around her again is… intoxicating.”
“Your presence is soothing.”
>>
File: 1443379214996.jpg (53 KB, 403x403) Image search: [Google]
1443379214996.jpg
53 KB, 403x403
>good
fantastic music
videos games (Battlefront 2 and Republic Commando, in particular)

>bad
literally every other aspect of the films... it baffles me that Lucas managed to obtain a boring and not at all compelling villain from Christopher Lee. like, really, that takes some doing
>>
File: 1451093067937.gif (938 KB, 298x214) Image search: [Google]
1451093067937.gif
938 KB, 298x214
>>64336672
>“Uh! So uncivilized.”

that's like the best line in the prequels. what's it doing on this list?
>>
Where did all the sith go under Vader's empire? Why is he the only sith?
>>
>>64336764
The rule of 2 had been in effect for 1000 years
>>
>>64336764

muh rule of two
>>
>>64332868

The music. TFA had nothing memorable
>>
>>64336672
>the chances of survival are 1 to 756
>the chances of survival are 1 to 7000
>the chances of survival are.. Shut up
>"rawr" calm down chewwie "rawr" I know I know
>Yoda acting like a little shit
>every interaction with R2, C3PO, and Chewbacca
>Han solos cringeworthy interaction with Leia
Etc. Etc.
>>
File: dooku.jpg (83 KB, 1150x522) Image search: [Google]
dooku.jpg
83 KB, 1150x522
>>64332868
The way Ani killed Dooku was pretty cool.
I doubt we will see anything as violent as that in the newer films
>>
>>64336672
>forgetting are you an angel
>yfw TCW made angels canon
>>
File: 1448331311964.gif (2 MB, 500x391) Image search: [Google]
1448331311964.gif
2 MB, 500x391
>>64336847
>Han solos cringeworthy interaction with Leia
>>
>>64336742
I thought the best line was AAAOOOUUUGGHH
>>
>>64335303

There isn't a single scene in TFA half as good as this and I say that as somebody who liked that movie
>>
>>64336897
>I know you love the bad guys
>let me force myself onto you
>you want me, I know you do
Fuckin, please
>>
>>64332920
>darth maul vs obi jin
>not the best choreography in a fight scene since cthd

I know, the last 5 years came out with some great fighting scenes like the raid etc etc but you have got no concept of scaling if you are dismissing episode 1's fight when it was the best in the series. Not the most iconic or meaningful, just the most well done out of all of them. If the prequels had as much effort put into them as that one fight, we would not be seeing an episode 7 from the likes of Abrams...
>>
>>64337056
you're a fucking retard, that scene is completely stupid
>>
>>64337218

Name one scene from TFA that was better
>>
>>64337218
How so ?
>>
>>64332868

Qui-Gon Jin, Ewan McGregor was believeable as a young Obi-Wan, Darth Maul, the pod racing scene, Darth Maul vs Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's comfy friendship, General Grevious vs Obi-Wan
>>
>>64334469

>THAT ACTUALLY WORKED

the mad man
>>
TPM
>The effects
>The world-building
>Maul
>Duel of the Fates
>Ian McDiarmid
>The final lightsaber duel

AotC
>The slow and quiet version of The Imperial March weaved throughout the movie
>Across the Stars
>That one part of the Anakin/Dooku fight in the darkness where their lightsabers are the only source of light
>You don't want to sell me death sticks
>Dooku

RotS
>Battle of the Heroes
>The scene where Palpatine tells Anakin the story of Darth Plagueis the Wise
>Vader v Obi-Wan (except for the rope swing)
>James Earl Jones (except for the NOOOOO)

Think those are all the redeeming points. Happy to argue.
>>
>>64337567
I noticed you didn't list Ewan McGregor, why?
>>
>>64337303
>Ewan McGregor was believeable as a young Obi-Wan
he was born to play the role, enlighten me with another actor that could have portrayed obi without looking like a fuckface idiot
>>
>>64337663
Jude law would have been a great actor for it but honestly McGregor did as perfect as you can get with the role and writing.
>>
>>64332868
Besides one or two casting decisions and mildly overbloated scripts, there's nothing wrong with the prequels. They're entirely average, inoffensive films, with some great features.
>>
>>64335303
>Ki Adi Mundi was on the front line, risking himself, to block blaster fire hitting his comrades

Fuck, even for a Star Wars film this scene tears me up
>>
File: AaylaSecura_still.jpg (24 KB, 350x382) Image search: [Google]
AaylaSecura_still.jpg
24 KB, 350x382
Why was she so perfect
>>
>>64338139
Twileks are literally made for sex
>>
>>64337614
His character was boring as fuck.
Was fine with his performance, I actually do like McGregor, but anyone could've played that role.
>>
Tfw those days before online leaks and people could somewhat keep spoilers to themselves, and you were btfaway by yodas pinball lightsaber fighting.

Terrible as it looks today, there's nothings like that feel anymore.
>>
>>64337567
This is a good list.
>>
Episodes 2 and 3 would be forgivable if they had the design quality of 1. Even if half of it was dinotopia.
>>
>>64332868
star wars episode 1 was the worst thing to happen since my son
>>
>>64339277
What do you mean "your" son?
>>
File: file.png (468 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
file.png
468 KB, 600x600
DAILY REMINDER THAT IT IS BING BONG THEORY THAT MADE HATING THE PREQUELS COOL

ALL THE CHARACTERS IN BBT HATE THE PREQUELS (WITH THE POSSIBLE EXCEPTION OF SHELDON - BAZINGO)!

If you hate the prequels you are literally le walt wolowitz and raj poo in loothrapali
>>
>>64340423
People have hated the prequels before that shit show.
>>
>>64340423
that's the best sitcom on television in the past 30 years so why would i care?
>>
>>64333408
>>64333400
I feel like Clone Wars is really what Lucas wanted to do this whole time, he always just wanted to make a kid's show. He did greatly with the original series when he was young, but then later he realized he really wants to do kid shows. It's why he went and re-edited the original series, so it's more kid friendly

Ever since the prequels, he wanted to make more kid shows, and a proper trilogy for kid's, but people started suspecting his plans, so instead, he decided to sell it to Disney, thinking they will make a really cheesy trilogy, with musicals, and childish themes. Much to his dissapointment, JJ Abrams didn't do that
>>
>>64332868
I think the prequels are bad films but I like this about them:
1. They have their own distinct atmosphere and feel. Doesn't feel like Star Wars but they have their own sort of ambiance
2. It feels like we're watching other planets. Plastic CGI planets, but not just Ireland like in TFA
3. They took risks and weren't concerned with fan service
>>
Where is Jar Jar Binks during the whole original trilogy and force awakens
>>
>>64340657
he is Snoke's Master
The ultimate Sith Lord
>>
File: file.png (1 MB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1 MB, 960x960
>>64340657
>>
>>64332868
>The saber fights, especially the one between Obi wan and Grievous
That wasn't even a saber fight, he finished him off with a fucking blaster. My god, these pieces of shit are irredeemable.
Shit, remember the cartoon where Grievous was actually scary?
>>
Every movie has a solid concept and overarching plot. They just aren't handled well. At all.

Even Jar Jar can be retooled into a proper character
>>
File: tfw.jpg (68 KB, 1344x822) Image search: [Google]
tfw.jpg
68 KB, 1344x822
>>64335303
>>
>>64336022
AAAAAAAAAAAAGH

I HATE SAND

IT'S COARSE AND GETTING EVERYWHERE
>>
The world building, the calm moments, ..

Actually, it's easier to say what I didn't like: Too much focus on pod racing in ep I, the lovey dovey story in ep II and jar jar

I like all else.
Especially Padme, a literal goddess
>>
>>64335303
The first 30 minutes of TFA is better than anything in the prequels
>>
>>64341031
Generation Z people are funny
>>
>>64335303
rip in piece jedi master extra 1,2,3 and 4
>>
File: 1431812713332.jpg (47 KB, 1004x652) Image search: [Google]
1431812713332.jpg
47 KB, 1004x652
>>64341052
*tip for you good sir*
>>
>>64341134
Yeah that's what you probably look like. Anything else?
>>
>>64332868
1. Sheev's performance (pretty much the only actor to come out from the whole shitshow with any credit, except maybe Christopher Lee)
2. Christopher Lee
3. Some of the lightsabre duels were fun
4. Some nice if unimaginative looking backgrounds
>>
l like it that at the end of Phantom Menace, Annie has a Jedi padawan haircut and kind of looks at Obi-wan for approval. That was a nice little moment.
>>
>>64335303
That little kid asking Anakin what they're going to do.

His flinch when Anakin activates his lightsaber.

Goddamn ;_;
>>
>>64332868

Obi-wan was cool as fuck and done well.

Also the political intrigue/plot.

That's it though.
>>
>>64333103

I love Lucas' thinly veiled racism.
>>
>>64337567
/agree
>>
>>64333622

Goodbye, Reddit.
>>
>>64332868

The aesthetics it had for its technology was very distinct from the original trilogy. Clean, sleek, and silver. It was a decidedly antebellum universe.

The score was great.

Took place during a time when the jedi weren't wiped out, which means we got to see lightsaber fights that had more combatants than just two.

As a tragedy, it had a solid overall plot.
>>
>>64332868
the characters' and planets' names and designs were original and cool.

Names like Qui-Gon Jinn, Padme, Darth Maul, Grievous etc are cooler and deeper than those in TFA : Rey, Finn, Poe, Hux, Ren, Kanjiklub. Wtf was that? Lame and lazy. Not to mention the rehashed planets settings. Jewjew sucks at originality.
>>
File: 1391391190809.png (248 KB, 449x500) Image search: [Google]
1391391190809.png
248 KB, 449x500
>>64340657
>>64340675

>People honestly think Lucas planned for Jar Jar to be a Sith lord and not just slap-stick comedy
>>
>>64344458
It's a joke m8
However Lucas wanting to make a children's show isn't
>>
desu I love Grievous
>>
>>64333442
Just like the OT
>>
>>64332868
Saber fights are terrible cartoon level garbage

Grievous is the worst character ever. You should fucking kill yourself
>>
>>64344127
>The prequels
>intricate lore, deep storyline, amazing world-building
>the OT and TFA is just cheesy humour and one-liners

no wonder the Reddit crowd hates the prequels so much
>>
Sheev being a bad mofo and dominating the jedi.

It's like the empire strikes back x 3
>>
File: 1442500616987.gif (499 KB, 222x366) Image search: [Google]
1442500616987.gif
499 KB, 222x366
Really, I only like some designs, Grievous, and the Clone Troopers. Pod Racing bored me, Romantic subplot is a parody, and there is no mysticism in the Jedi. Episode I is a waste of time. They should have skipped the whole Episode I, only a flashback, and go straight into the Clone Wars. The expanded Clone Wars is the only entertaining thing ever produced by the prequels. Darth Maul's lighters are cool, thought.
>>
>>64332899
The worst opinion
>>
George Lucas has been always better at creating interesting worlds than creating dialogues or plot.
>>
>>64335303
Why the fuck do Bowcasters have a 'string'?
>>
>>64340657
You see him in return of the jedi when they are celebrating.
>>
>>64336672
>“Love won’t save you, Padme. Only my new powers can do that.”

Awful
>>
>>64332950
>Samuel motherfucking Jackson
Yes, the way he walks, turns and sits down talking are truly amazing.
>>
Double ended light sabers
Dual wielding
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 580x326) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 580x326
>>64332928
There's just not enough McGregor, Portman or McDiarmid. And there aren't enough complete dialogue scenes. If they written the trilogy around those three characters, they would really have nailed it.
>>
Midichlorians

I love how they explained the science behind it, instead of it just being "DUDE, I CAN MOVE THIS X WING LMAO"
>>
>>64332899
ᵗʰᶦˢ ᵗᵇʰ ˢᵉᶰᵖᵃᶦ
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 625x417) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 625x417
>>64335343
Fairly epic exposition. They've got to make use of Plagueis in the sequels. Anakin should probably be brought back as a clone or something, as long as he doesn't get in the way too much.
>>
I liked the prequels desu.

Except AoTC that movie is absolute shite.

The only redeemable part of that movie was Kit Fisto's smile
>>
>>64337142

hi low test beta male, just so you know that shit works if the girl is actually really into you, and Fisher's and Harrison's performance conveyed that just fine
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 850x363) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 850x363
https://youtu.be/wtG1RKwfiB4
>>
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 1011x230) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 1011x230
Described as a Massassi bas relief (?)
>>
>>64333242
>muh epic anime shit ridiculous swordfights

HOW COOL AND PRACTICAL SIMPLY EPIC MY GOOD SIR
>>
>>64337567

>James Earl Jones

That one little bit of dialogue he has before the NOOOOO was better than anything Vader said in the originals. I could actually feel the pain and emotion in his voice.

I never understood how anger and passion could be what leads somebody to the dark side but Vader is basically emotionless the entire trilogy.
>>
>>64346527

I actually like pretty much everything in Clones except for Anakin and Padmé's scenes and Yoda's crazy muppet duel. Obi's side quest to find Jango is actually quite interesting, the clone army is one of my favourite parts of the entire Star Wars universe, and the battle on Geonosis is my favourite ground battle in the series.
>>
File: image.jpg (103 KB, 900x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103 KB, 900x800
http://youtu.be/PaCaMxN4yGE
>>
File: image.jpg (101 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101 KB, 1280x720
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 728x392) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 728x392
>>
>>64332868
I like everything but the execution. many times when people go on about how to fix prequels they basically write a different but I think with better acting/lines and minor changes it could have worked. I love the pathos and the politics
>>
>>64347004
did you notice it during your viewing? also "real" everything is boring as shit, including sword fights
>>
File: image.jpg (326 KB, 2194x934) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
326 KB, 2194x934
>>
>>64340423
People have hated the prequels since trailer 1 for the Phantom Menace came out.
>>
>>64347198
>Is actually quite interesting

Luke, have I told you about Jango Fett? He was a bounty hunter hired to kill your mother, so he hired another shapeshifter bounty hunter whom hired a robot to deliver a can of killer worms to her window instead of just shooting her

We tracked the shapeshifter but Jango killed her with a poisoned dart that my good friend Dexter Jexster, owner of a 50s cafe on coruscant, was able to identify as a Kaminoian dart, so I followed the trail that led me to discover the clone army ordered by my good friend the dead jedi master Sifo Diyas

Since there was no reason such a good friend would try to play a trick on us we accepted the army and used it to go to war, each one of them was a good friend until they mercilessly slaughtered my good jedi friends out of nowhere
>>
>>64332868
Me and my wife's son absolutely adore the lightsaber fights, so excellently well choreographed, in fact, the prequels are the only thing we really bond over, we tend to watch them when my wife's ex-husband comes round to talk with her in her bedroom.
>>
>>64342548

This was pretty much the reason I was afraid of JJ doing star wars, even from the first trailer. Clone Wars, Old Republic, even Rebels all had a distinct artstyle while still maintaining star wars design cues reminiscent of the time it began. It really helped make each trilogy distinct while at the same time reigniting the spark of when you first watched star wars to begin with.

Seeing alien and new worlds and technologies that looked so damn interesting you were willing to read up on what it was. TFA played it way too safe in this regard and kinda made that part of the movie nothing. Just reused assets and even the aliens, even though alot of it was practical effects which is nice, just looked generic. Grey blobs under brown coats with little distinction save a flock of not-mosquitos.
>>
File: image.jpg (268 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
268 KB, 1600x900
http://youtu.be/YZ_j3s5xj8I

The Galaxy must be free.
>>
>>64347362
TFA didn't have ridiculous choreography and the lightsaber fight was great. Same with Empire and Jedi.
>>
File: image.jpg (286 KB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
286 KB, 1920x816
A long way down!
>>
>>64347729
that is like your opinion
>>
>>64347004
Even if you didn't notice it [which is kind hard considering it goes on for 4 seconds] I sure would love to know how you missed 8 minutes of them dancing around each other, jumping on floating rocks in the middle of lava, swining from cable vines like Tarzan and exchanging lightsaber blows, etc.

That's not "not boring", that's just retarded. The lightsaber fight between Luke and Vader was about as long but without the absurd shit and it was amazing.
>>
>>64347766
Pretty sure that's a fact. Don't remember them jumping and twirling and moving between rooms, railways, molten rocks, etc in the span of one fight.
>>
>>64347776

meant for

>>64347362
>>
>people think the lightsaber fight in RotS was good

No. It is the most drawn-out, boring saber fight ever put on screen.

Basically, if you like it, it's because you have ADD and need shit to constantly be happening.
>>
File: kjkszpj.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
kjkszpj.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
>one mention of death sticks
>>
>>64337567

Should add the battle of geonosis. Honestly you must have shit taste to not enjoy the introduction of the clone troopers and watching them fight in a cloud of desert.
>>
>>64347362
m8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjT4JepA-Vc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6BBq9zE2pY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5w2Mh6CyXo
>>
File: 1443639510744.jpg (79 KB, 403x498) Image search: [Google]
1443639510744.jpg
79 KB, 403x498
>>64332868
>Red letter Media tards will argue that the lightsaber fights suck because they weren't as slow as the one in the original movie.

Prequels weren't that good but most of the criticism it gets is so full of shit.
>>
>>64334630
i totally agree. Grevious died in such a shitty way. Plus a Jedi using a blaster, gimm me a fuckin break
>>
>>64332899
Guarantied Replies
Thread replies: 245
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.