[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Admit it You enjoyed the FUCK out of the prequels when they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 250
Thread images: 30
File: Darth-Maul_632eb5af.jpg (216 KB, 768x432) Image search: [Google]
Darth-Maul_632eb5af.jpg
216 KB, 768x432
Admit it

You enjoyed the FUCK out of the prequels when they first came out, and only turned on them because it was the meme thing to do, and you secretly wish George Lucas was in charge again, so we'd have some semblance of original content, instead of the same old rehashed duckface Stormtrooper bullshit Episode 4 remake with niggers that we got with 7

Just fucking admit it
>>
>>64326846
Force Awakens was just... boring.

It had decent moments, but it was just forgettable. Killed my entire Star Wars hype completely. Like, I don't even care now.
>>
>>64326846
No. Because I wasn't kid when they came out.
>>
>>64326923
It was made for kiddies. So does your mindset fit well into that universe?
>>
I give this bait one quarter portion.
>>
>>64326968
What the fuck are you talking about? I said I didn't enjoy them.
>>
>>64326846
Honestly, I didn't like the Phantom Menace when it came out. Most of it was Jake Lloyd. He came off as a really bratty, unlikable child. I felt like they should have started Anakin as older, like Luke's age.

Over time, the Phantom Menace grew on me, and while I still don't like Anakin in it, I've gotten over it.

Now, I feel like all the films are really good in their own way, and hating on the prequels is just silly.
>>
Episode I was awesome.
2 was definitely a snooze-fest.
3 was great.
TFA was definitely a snooze-fest, especially towads the end.
>>
>>64326846
Yeah, I was about 8 when I went to see The Phantom Menace. I loved it at the time. The 2nd movie was amazing, but I hadn't seen the OT until inbetween the third movie. I loved the originals for their captivating story, and I loved the prequels for their story development of new worlds and the fighting scenes. No one would've been interested without the sabre fights, that's for sure. The Matrix and lotr were out around the same time, so George had to compete. Are le old nerds this stupid to grasp marketing?
>>
>>64326846

Nay lad.

I did enjoy The Phantom Menace, and it's better than The Force Awakens.

But Attack of the Clones KILLED Star Wars. There was no pre-release hype, I went into the theatre ready for anything and it was possibly the worst film ever made.

If AOTC and ROTS had been good, TPM's flaws could have been forgiven. But they were shat.
>>
>>64326923
If anything, the new one was even more for kiddies. No nuances at all.
>>
>>64326916
Yes! And it started out very promising. I thought the wreckage on Jakku looked amazing. Then it just got flat
>>
Got bored until they went to the pod race, then got bored until the Maul fight. II was a mess and III was somewhat enternaining.
>>
>>64326846
Re-watched the Phantom menace last night for the first time in years to see if the whole meme that the prequels aren't shit has any basis.

But no it was just as terrible as I remember it being and now that VFX have advanced it isn't even that much of a visual spectacle.
>>
I was young when 1 cam e out and easy to be pleased. The movie was directed for kids and it worked out fine.
the second movie was a catastrophe though. At least until the clones show up. Three was quite ok, thouh you knew the end beforehand.
but from todays standpoint 1 ahas horrible cgi snd writing. So it remains an okay third one.
>>
>>64327084
The prequels are horribly directed and have horrible dialogue - what's not to hate? And it's not like they didn't have the money to do better - hell, they even got top-tier actors for most roles! But it didn't help because the aforementioned dialogue was so bad and Lucas couldn't direct his way out of his own bathroom. The story itself was never the problem - it's the execution that was shit.
>>
File: 1424369317178.jpg (60 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1424369317178.jpg
60 KB, 500x667
>>64326846
>Jar Jar
>Liam Neesons character doesn't develop at all
>this is podracing
>the existence of shielded drops that are so OP they make the two powerful Jedi's run away in fear yet aren't mass produced to rape everything because Muh George Lucas writing
K
>>
Prequels 'sucked' because people are comparing them to the Original trilogy; I watched the trilogy like 5 years (in cable) before TPM came out and it's decent.
>>
>>64327197
>possibly the worst film ever made
Fucking this. There were walkouts at my theater and a group of kids walked by while I was still waiting in line with my cousins and tried to convince us to get a refund which is the first and only time that's ever happened to me. People hated Episode II and that's what really killed the prequel hype.
>>
>>64326846
Saw episode 1 opening day,walked in front of the line. Only movie I ever left to have a smoke in the middle of. Also I didn't smoke then,just hated the childish movie and wanted to talk to my friends.
Movie sucked then as much as now,truly a MST3K caliber shit fest.
op is a moron.
>>
TFA will hold up against time much better than the prequels. The prequels didn't age good at all, not only in visual terms (looks like a PS2 game today) but the dialogue/story, its meant to be "not real" dialogue but more like some shakespeare lines, Lucas himself told this.

If you make a normie watch Attack Of The Clones he will start scrolling trough his smarthphone 15 minutes into the movie. No one today remembers what happens in which movie, just certain moments "is that with the speeder race or that big arena fight"?
>>
>>64326846
Yes, I enjoyed the prequels. You know what else I enjoyed as a kid? All Dogs Go to Heaven. It doesn't change the fact that after I saw it again after 10 years that it was a piece of shit.

It's called growing up. There are a lot of movies and TV shows that we loved as kids, but our tastes change and many of our nostalgic media tastes bitter without the nostalgia goggles.

Quit making ridiculous excuses for people not liking what you like. Just say you have a boner for the prequels and move on.
>>
>>64327197
What did you honestly except you spergo? How old were you when they came out? George took control of the whole shit and it was directing at kids. It's reaaaaally autistic to complain about Star wars as meaningful films, and I guarantee most people that actually work on mobies agree. Step outside your safe zone for a while, bub.
>>
>>64326846
I liked them because I was 10
>>
Prequels have memes
TFA has nothing original, every single thing is stolen from new hope our EU
>>
File: 1447109899572.png (1 MB, 880x759) Image search: [Google]
1447109899572.png
1 MB, 880x759
Take Naboo to the loo. What a snafu.
>>
>>64326846
I thought the prequels were shit BUT I openly admit I'd like to see George back directing the sequels... or at least writing and producing them.
Doesn't feel like SW without his involvement tbqh farmers.
>>
>>64327286
>furry

Opinion discarded
>>
I enjoyed matrix reloaded and matrix revolutions and thought they were amazing too.

But then I grew up
>>
>>64327395
Lucas should plan out the general plot and details of the world-building but the rest he should leave to people who are actually good at it.
>>
>>64326846

My first Star Wars experience was watching the OT at home with my family. I saw The Phantom Menace at a young enough age where I liked basically anything I watched (I loved Ewoks back then lol). When Attack of the Clones came out, I absolutely fucking despised Anakin.

>>64327348

But there are some things, such as Star Wars OT, The Lion King, Looney Tunes, etc. that actually do hold up when you watch them 10 years later.
>>
reddit
>>
ROTS was the best movie of the prequels. Probably original trilogy tier because of the tragedy ending.
>>
>>64327470
If you don't tear at this scene then you to go back from where you came.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-pjk9ZlS50
>>
>>64327542
Yeah, the
>NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Was so moving and not laughable at a
>>
All I remember is being really fucking confused by the plot of Episode 1 and 2. I didn't understand what Sheev was trying to accomplish with the war and why everyone believed him.
I remembered being impressed visually but I didn't care for the story at all. I remember liking the original trilogy because it was such a simple story that worked so well (especially A New Hope) because it's a story we've all heard before but it was told in an interesting and fresh way.
>>
>>64327280
>horribly directed
How so?

>horrible dialogue
It's no better or worse than the dialogue in the original trilogy or the new film. Star Wars films aren't particularly known for their good dialogue beyond a few quotable lines (which aren't quoted because they're "well written") and the prequels have more than their share of quotable lines.
>>
File: jengo_fett_6th_02.jpg (71 KB, 533x800) Image search: [Google]
jengo_fett_6th_02.jpg
71 KB, 533x800
>>64327197
>But Attack of the Clones KILLED Star Wars.

I don't understand why people hated this one so much.

>Sexy Natalie Portman
>Jango Fett
>Obi Wan doing cool shit the entire movie
>Anakin killing sand people
>dat Colosseum battle
>fucking Jedi vs Monster fights

Loved this shit when I was a kid
>>
>>64327702
Not him, but Lucas is seriously a terrible director.

Look at the quality difference in ANH vs ESB
>>
>>64326846
The first prequel was so bad I thought it must be a fluke. The second prequel was so bad I knew Star Wars was dead. Never bothered to watch the third because it's just more of Lucas's shit.

TFA was at least entertaining with fun characters.
>>
I was 15 when they came out. Already being a super fan of the OT from being introduced to it by older kids, I was excited for this stuff to come out, to say the least, probably prime demographic I guess? I didn't see the next 2 in cinema, bought the dvds though, and still thought it was crap.

The Force Awakens is by far the best thing to come out of the SW universe since ROTJ, by far.
>>
>>64327927
>The Force Awakens is by far the best thing to come out of the SW universe since ROTJ, by far.
this
>>
>>64327927
Well, you've got bad taste. How is TFA better than Revenge of the Sith? Kylo Ren saved the movie only because he was a unique character, the rest of it was trash. You sound Reddit too. Think next time, cunt.
>>
File: 1382900972523.gif (418 KB, 460x345) Image search: [Google]
1382900972523.gif
418 KB, 460x345
>>64327702
I'm gonna be honest: I'm waaay to lazy to explain some guy on the internet why Lucas is a bad director. Let's just say I can tell because I've seen many movies and know when a usually good actor didn't quite know what to do because he was directed badly. And dialogue in the prequels *is* worse than it was in the OT - why is also something I can't explain in one or two sentences, so yeah, you know the drill...
>>
>>64327800

>stupidest assassination attempt ever conceived
>dexter jettster, 50s diner scene
>absolute bollocks plot
>appalling dialogue and acting out of 'romance'
>I don't like sand
>begun the clone wars have
>>
I enjoyed 1+3, but 2 was a trainwreck
>>
>>64327505
In otherwoods the Indiana Jones movies.
>>
I was 10 when TPM came out and I enjoyed the fuck out of it. As I've gotten older I can see the technical flaws and dialogue/pacing issues but I can appreciate the good things that it did compared to the rest of the prequels. There was still a physicality to the sabre fights and had a good balance between practical sets and cgi.

How I enjoyed AOTC the first time I saw it I dont know - it was more star wars! - but on second viewing months later it was easy to see how much of a slow pondering mess it was. Shocking how green screened it was - at times it looked blues clues-ish with real people on a cartoon background.

I didn't even see ROTS in cinemas. Watched it on DVD and was mostly bored (what the fuck is this, who the fuck are these people?). It was just going through the motions. Also suffered from the same over green screen that Clones did.

In conclusion TPM is the only prequel I go back to once every couple of years.
>>
>>64328066
If by sounding reddit you mean being a french guy writing in english, then you've caught me!

Kylo Ren, Rey, Poe Dameron and Finn all have lots of story potential in front of them. Unless you have the emotionnal sensitivity of a brick, theres no way you felt the same way for anakin, padme and Obi-wan in ROTS or any of the prequels. Theres absolutely nothing relatable to any of these characters.
>>
>>64327800

>Natalie Portman
>sexy
>not boyish

She reminds me of a trap. Not in a good way.
>>
>>64326846
>You enjoyed the FUCK out of the prequels when they first came out

Yes, because I was 4 years old. I bet people who were 4 years old when the Michael Bay Transformers series started like those movies too.
>>
>>64327800
not enough of anakin killing sand people
it cut away right when it was getting good

not enough hershlag either

and if Jango Fett was so good why didn;t he just use those toxic darts himself instead of hiring a 3rd party(that dumb shapeshifter) who was a total fucking noob
>>
>>64326846
I admit it. Straight you.
>>
I never stopped liking the prequels.

My enjoyment has moved up and down over the years, but I never stopped liking them.

I quite openly wanted George Lucas in charge again from the moment the Disney buyout was announced.
>>
2nd movie was terrible with the exception of clones landing and that massive battle.
First movie had good parts and really shit parts.
3rd movie suffers from being a 3rd movie in a trilogy with a shit story and characters. I justcouldn't care.
>>
>>64328066
>>64327967
>>64327927

TFA is a movie made safe in the knowledge that there would be atleast 2 sequels and a million side stories to flesh it out.

Abrams didn't attempt to make a good stand-alone movie he made a re-introduction to the original trilogy universe. Its like the Avengers if the Avengers was made to introduce the Marvel cinematic universe instead of being the capstone.
>>
>>64328258
Do you understand cinema? Have you actually watched the prequels? It was shot brilliantly aside from Georges shitty dialogue. Many memorable moments with each movie. What does TFA have? lol stormtrooper dat cen fight litesaber.
>>
>>64328385
Never fucking reply to me again unless you're contributing to the thread.
>>
>>64328347
Its a continuation that had the task of making people forget the 3 weak previous entries in the series. And it does this exceptionnaly well, obviously.
>>
>>64328385
Never fucking reply to me again unless you're contributing to the thread.
>>
>>64327850
>Not him, but Lucas is seriously a terrible director.
Okay, but that doesn't answer my question at all.

How is he a terrible director, particularly in the prequels? Can you give me examples?
>>
>>64326846
I was 6 years old when Episode I came out, I was incapable of making valid judgments at that age.
>>
>>64328436
yeah that is what I said.
>>
It's hard for me to hate it as a whole because it's a lot of mixed parts.

You have attempts at serious drama, political scheming, post 9/11 commentary, fart jokes, throwbacks to the 50s, daytime soap acting, design work that ranges from true to the OT to looking like they hired moron-level interns to doodle up stuff and so on...

I basically count it as EU and take from it what I want.

There are two unforgivable sins that the prequels did though imho.

First one is that it removed the mystery of how the Empire came to be which seemed far more grim and opera-style in the OT. The prequels removed the magic and populated the whole setting with idiots.
The second is that the grim and sinister Emperor from RotJ was turned into an assclown. The fight with Yoda is SNL sketch tier with Yoda pushing Sidious over a chair ass backwards while he cackles like a maniac.
Atrocious.
>>
>>64328385
Ah yes who could forget 'walking down a corridor, stopping and reverse angle shot #78'.
>>
>>64328081
This doesn't suffice, Anon.

If you level a criticism, you have to qualify it. You can't just say "it's bad" and expect that to be sufficient. Otherwise, it's ultimately useless to everyone else.

If you're too lazy to actually discuss movies on a movie discussion board, then don't reply, don't post. Spend your Internet time doing something else, and don't waste my Internet time. Please.
>>
As a kid i didn't even care about any part of the movie except for the maul fight.
>>
>>64328444
>How is he a terrible director, particularly in the prequels? Can you give me examples?
Watch them, lol
>>
Lucas should've just been the story writer and exec producer.
There should've been a team of writers to fix up the script.
Spielberg should've directed.

Someone on McQuarrie's level should've been in charge of the art direction so the look of the movies is consistent.

Thats about it.
>>
I started highschool when TPM came out. It was underwhelming as fuck but serviceable. Maul was the best part. Held out hopes for ep 2 and 3

I watched AOTC multiple times on DVD to convince myself that it was OK, that TPM was just a fluke and AOTC was getting into the deep. It wasn't. I felt bored watching it, and it didn't connect. Then ROTS came out and it was mostly shit. There was no redemtion for the prequels. Everything sucked and felt fake as shit, it didn't feel magical like the star wars of old that I watched in vietnam on VHS tapes.

The memes are ok. Just people trying to recover the vestige of broken dreams.

I'm glad Kotor existed, especially the Sith Lords. Also the Jedi academy and outcast games. I never read the EU comic books but there was an alternate timeline when Leia becomes a dark apprentice under Darth Vader. Star wars was still for dreamers here.

TFA was ok, but it's just to make money now. Finn/Poe/Ben Solo are not perfect, but interesting enough to make good stories, but the thrill is gone. The magic of Star Wars is gone. I've grown up due to hopes being crushed by the prequels, but really nothing of value is lost
>>
>>64328583
I have.

It's clear you don't know what you're talking about since you can't actually explain your opinion.
>>
>>64328436
>And it does this exceptionnaly well, obviously.
Yeah, your forget how bad ep 1-3 were because 7 is much worse.
>>
I've never seen star wars in my entire life and had no idea of the hate towards the prequels before i saw episode 1 last week for the first time in my life. (thinking it was the first star wars movie)

I cannot fathom how anyone (who isn't wearing nostalgia goggles) could think this movie is worth a rating higher than 2/10.
>>
I still have my TPM cinema ticket. I kept it because I thought it would become a piece of history.
>>
Jakku and Hosnian Prime are literally just Tatooine and Coruscant with the names changed.

They even kept the "why does everyone want to go back to Tatooine?!" joke, from a presumably-earlier draft.
>>
>>64327166
Episode 1 was completely unnecessary. It's plot was a whole bunch of bullshit
>>
>>64328727
It has, but not in the way you probably thought.
>>
>>64326846
i was still onboard after tpm. i fell right off after aotc.

>>64326916
>Force Awakens was just... boring.

it was just a movie. tpm i thought at least tried for high drama and was only let down by the terrible dialogue. tfa was just a movie.
>>
>>64328818

They're both just fucking movies you autistic sperg
>>
Let's break it down.

TPM
- main character is a little kid in a franchise that has thus far (even in the EU) been oriented towards young adult demographic as the self-inserts
- Kenobi (who should've been the secondary protag) is given nothing to work with whatsoever
- one of the main drives of the story is to save the Naboo people and the gungans, both or which are bland and annoying giving us no reason to give a shit about their predicament
- the main threat apart from Maul are goofy asian stereotype aliens and their dinky droids
- the pacing is completely shot due to a pod racing event being randomly inserted into the plot

AOTC
- Anakin is now full on annoying and whines literally every time he opens his mouth
- Padme is still about as charming and charismatic as a plank and can easily be swapped out for an inflatable doll and the story would lose nothing
- Dooku is completely underdeveloped as a villain and his motivations and character left for the side-materials to figure out
- borderline nonsensical Syfo-dias subplot/main plot
- cgi clone troopers

RotS
- sloppy first act with Grievous oddly being an important player even though he was never mentioned in the saga before
- Sidious when out in the open has the mannerisms of a court jester and not a dangerous old wizard
- flip-flopping with Anakin's reasoning for the turn, apparently Palpatine was grooming him to be a fascist but that doesn't matter because he has a random vision that he needs to act on, sloppy dialogue about this turn every time he opens his mouth
- Padme dies because she gives up as soon as she sees an ipod droid delivering her twins
>>
>>64328217
Well... yeah. Btw. it's kinda funny how easy it feels to "fix" TFA with just a couple of very simple ideas - I mean you have to wonder why they...

- didn't use a different threat than yet another Death Star (acknowledging it doesn't make it OK, J.J.)
- put the Millennium Falcon through such a ridiculous amount of abuse (it should've disintegrated from the flight through the trees alone)
- pandered so goddamn much to the OT fans, but in a bad way
- made the hyperspeed travel feel instantaneously (I refuse to believe that those weren't just cuts and the "real" flight took at least days)
- had Han shoot a guy without looking (meant to be cool but ended up being just dumb)
- didn't find another way to rejoin Chewy & Han with the Falcon (the whole part on that transport ship was unnecessary and kinda stupid)
>>
>>64327800
>I don't understand

No. No you don't.
>>
>>64326846
I remember watching Phantom Menace on vhs when it came out, I thought it was shit, and my father who's a big SW fan fell asleep.
>>
>>64327800
Congrats for admitting nostalgia goggles

The movie was absolute trash and not even by Star Wars standards
>>
>>64326846
Could we at least admit that Episode II sucks balls?

EP I had podracing
EP III had Vader
EP II had nothing but cringy shit.
>>
>>64329058

Episode two had Anakin and Padme riding giant ticks on Naboo an then rolling in the grass laughing like maniacs.
>>
>>64327800
>Sexy Natalie Portman
The crappy romance dialogue was somehow so bad, that it usually distracted me from this
>Jango Fett
Almost literal Boba recolour, and very literal clone (Even if it's the other way round) to pander to the spergs who thought Boba was the "coolest" thing about the originals. Nah.
>Obi Wan doing cool shit the entire movie
All I remember was him going to Kamino to see the clones, and having a brief scuffle with Jango. Oh, and him getting his ass whooped by Dooku. Everything else was forgettable.
>Anakin killing sand people
Cuts away as soon as the massacre starts. More screentime is spent on him crying about it afterwards.
>dat Colosseum battle
Eww no. Complete overuse/misuse of Lightsabers and cgi.
Filling the screen up with crap and flashy stuff =/= a good action scene
>fucking Jedi vs Monster fights
Before the lightsabers came in, it was pretty cool I guess.

Overall, not enough to save this shitty movie. And that's coming from someone who first saw this movie as a kid, and has always thought of it as the worst of the series (as far as I can remember, at least).
>>
I could forgive Lucas' shit directing, shit script, shit aliens, shit plot and shit everything if they actually had an Anakin that could carry the movies.

He needed to be cocky, charismatic and steal every scene he was in sort of how you could watch Han do pretty much anything in the OT. Ford could literally turn shit lines into solid gold by the force of delivery alone.

Instead we got Hayden who acts and sounds like he's doing a bit part in a high school play.
He simply does not have the chops to be the focal point of the prequel saga.
>>
>>64328892
oh fuck off you cocksucking piece of shit. who the fuck is autistic here?

>NO THEY ARE BOTH JUST MOVIES BEING FILM PRODUCTS OF THE MOVIE INDUSTRY

part of autism is not being able to recognize context or subtlety. or, apparently, irony.

now please, go back to your legos and kill yourself.
>>
File: data.jpg (787 KB, 1456x1080) Image search: [Google]
data.jpg
787 KB, 1456x1080
>>64328556
You're basically right, so here are some more excuses from me: English isn't my first language so it takes me much longer to write a semi-well written post about a complicated topic than it would in my native tongue. We're talking easily 45+ minutes here. Also, there's really nothing wrong with stating an opinion w/o elaborating it - I just have to live with that fact that people will disregard it on that basis alone. And let's be honest here, 4chan's /tv/ is not exactly a high-brow movie discussion board anyway. And finally, how I spend my time is non of your concern; you have no obligation to read my posts or reply to them. That is all.
>>
>>64328444
All the dialogue scenes are terrible, both visually and writing-wise. They are boring, badly acted, and contradict themselves and each other constantly. The main problem of this is that Lucas chose to advance the plot EXCLUSIVELY through the dialogue scenes. There are no exposition shots, and all the "visual-centric" parts of the movies (podrace, lighsaber fights, clone wars) are just set-pieces that do NOTHING to advance the story in any way. This makes the action scenes seem gratuitious and pointless, because hey carry no narrative or symbolic weight, and also makes the story trite and unaffecting, because a) the delivery is always so bland and lifeless, b) the characters have no personality, they are only there to advance the plot by talking, and c) the plot is so convoluted and abstract, because we never actually SEE any of it : we are just told, through bad dialogue, that things happen.
This is why George Lucas is a terrible director, particularly in the prequels.
>>
>>64328066
>likes kylo ren
>calls someone else reddit

wew lad
>>
Prequels
>cringey writing
>awful comedy
>awful acting
>awesome scenery
>excellent imagery
>deep lore

TFA
>terrible writing
>mediocre comedy
>passable acting
>good camera work
>mediocre imagery
>insultingly shallow lore
>>
http://www.ferdyonfilms.com/2015/star-wars-episode-one-the-phantom-menace-1999-episode-two-attack-of-the-clones-2002-episode-three-revenge-of-the-sith-2005/26568/

Star Wars under Lucas, all six movies, is like an epic poem in movie form. It is space opera, emphasis OPERA. It has all the clunky, overwrought melodrama you'd expect out of one of Homer's poems or Wagner's Ring cycle.

Star Wars under Disney looks like it's just going to be Marvel movies with the Star Wars brand. I'd say it's space opera, emphasis space, irony quotes "opera", but it's not even that: it's just space action.
>>
>>64328066

Nah, Kylo Ren is just Jacen Solo fused with Kyp Durron.

The most charitable possible reading is that he's a Star Wars version of Prince Zuko from Avatar: The Last Airbender, but that doesn't really work, because Zuko had things Kylo Ren doesn't, like a strong and clear moral center or good looks and charisma.
>>
>>64326846
Totally agree. VII is complete unwatchable shit and I refuse to believe people enjoyed it other than for bandwagoning social media cred.
>>
I liked it when I was 10 because 10 year olds are stupid.
>>
Of course I liked it, I was a kid and there was some cool lightsaber battles, they're still crappy movies.
>>
Yes I enjoyed the Phantom Menace when I was like 7 year old so just a little younger than the main character. It was one of my favourite movies of the year along with Wild Wild West.

Does that mean it's a good movie ?
Did my opinion really change because of this board ?
>>
I never hated the prequels.
I just always saw it as more star wars.

I watch the Plinkett reviews sometimes when Im bored but I dont take anything to heart.
>>
>>64330021

as apposed to hating it for /tv/ cred right?
Kill yourself.
>>
The vast majority of people here where 8-10 years old when they started coming out, of course they liked it. If you still like them you are more than likely stunted intellectually.
>>
>>64326846
I liked the prequels because they were more than just tales of good versus evil. They greatly expanded the universe. They were mythic but also held political intrigue at the same time. People shooting at each other interspersed with front flips and magic sword fights. It was a true meld of science and fantasy.
>>
>>64326846
I was ten when Episode I came out. I didn't see it at theaters, but I remember being into the hype. I remember all the toys at TRU, the Star Wars Taco Bell meals, and my mom got me a Star Wars Lunch box with Maul on it making that same pose (never used it).

I actually did see Episode II in theaters and I remember thinking nothing about it.

I then saw Episode III and really enjoyed it; thought it was damn good.

Throughout high school, I'd go over to a friend's house and he'd always have a Star Wars movie on. I came to really loathe Episode II, dislike I, and further enjoy III.

Going into VII, I wasn't too hyped as due to Abrams' track record, I assumed the film would be a mediocre rehash of OT ideas with nary a mention of the PT. And I was right!

VII is better than I and II, but it's still mediocre and I & II brought a lot more to the franchise than VII did. You're goddamn right I miss Lucas. Lucas wouldn't make such a middling, run-of-the-mill film. It would either be great or straight-up bad -- but either way, we'd have a lot to talk about.

Ain't shit to talk about with VII. It's safe as fuck and thus boring. I miss Lucas so much.
>>
Fuck you
Even as a fucking kindergardener I hated the prequels

I fast forwared to the Maul fight on my video tape

I begged my parents to bring me to fucking Spidrman and Shrek, not Attack of the Clones. I remember seeing th giant Vader standins for RotS and having zero fucking interest. I didnt watch Attack of rhe Clones until this year and Im 20 years old.
>>
>>64326846
If Star Wars was all I had access to as a child in terms of sci-fi I probably would become one of those crazy fanboys, but thankfully I had access to anime from very early on in my youth years that my

mental balance is very stable.

Seriously, if you have watched Akira, you'd realize just how sophisticated anime is and it blows away anything Star Wars would have to offer.

A lot of people mention Ghost In The Shell, which has just enough of sexuality in the mix to draw in the western audience I suppose but I must say that Ghost In The Shell is not even in my top 10 anime, not

even close, that's just how deep the world of anime is.

Some anime is so disturbingly mature like Fractale that I wish it would challenge the system and submit it as a Drama category in the Oscars just to bitchslap the snotty Academy.

It's not just the level of maturity and sophistication anime has, it's also quite original, entertaining, and visually fantastic. I would regard anime as the highest form of cinema art-form.

But hey, me preaching about anime won't do you any good, you gotta go out and see it for yourself just how much you are missing.

The recent one I would recommend to check out is Sword Art Online which is light and easy to get into anime for the first time yet appreciate it as much, but if you want the heavy stuff right off the line

check out Guilty Crown in which the plot is so complex and twisted that you'll need extra oxygen pumped into your brain in order to comprehend everything, and if you want amazing visuals and a gripping

drama that also has awesome mecha battles Aldnoah.Zero is the shit.

Seriously, if you know anime like I do, Star Wars looks like it's something for little kids.
>>
>>64330360
What a glib fascimile
>>
I enjoyed them but I loved them more when TFA came out.

Fuck.. I miss George..
>>
>>64329909
I ain't gonna read all that, but that little excerpt works really damn well. Star Wars under Disney is akin to the Marvel films: Mass-produced, safe, and easily consumable.

The more I think about the prequels, the more I look fondly back at the overarching storyline. Yes the direction was shit, the acting shit, and the writing shit for most of all of them, but the actual story it told was great.

What's the story that The Force Awakens tells? What's the story that the ST is trying to tell? OT touched on themes of fatherhood, mysticism, and sacrifice. The PT was like a Greek tragedy focusing on the pomposity of the fabled Jedi Order and the rise of the Empire.

Right now, I'm not sure what the ST is trying to say, but maybe the next two movies will help me out. I'm hopin' with Abrams out, we might get something decent.
>>
>>64327800
>as a kid
>a kid
>kid

And that's the problem. Since when did Star Wars become a kids movie?
>>
>>64330515

That wasn't an excerpt that I posted, that was my own opinion on the subject.

But it's practically a distillation of ferdy's article on the prequels AND review of TFA together.
>>
>>64328956
I think Han Solo's introduction (transport ship part) was probably the worst part of the movie for me. It wasn't that bad, but it felt really forced if that makes sense. Like, it reminded me exactly of the Star Trek scene when Kirk finds Simon Pegg.
>>
>>64326846
>You enjoyed the FUCK out of the prequels when they first came out,

Because I was 7-13?
>>
I saw the prequel movies when I was a small child.

Individual moments probably seemed cool to me, but I was probably bored and confused by the rest of it. I liked Harry Potter better.
>>
>>64331065

But yeah, I wouldn't mind Lucas being on board, just not at the helm, which is why Star was has been generally middling to atrocious since 1983.
>>
I loved TPM as a 10 year old, all of it
AotC I liked Jango Fett in the rain, Yoda and Dooku, and Geonosis
RotS I saw twice, I still enjoy that one to this day

TPM I tolerate and AotC I just like the Jango fight in the rain
>>
>>64327201
whats a nuance?
>>
>>64330643

Han's introduction was clumsy and pretty weak, but you seem to be forgetting the rathtars scene.

Oh my god, the fucking rathtars. The dumbest monster design I've ever seen in a Star Wars movie. They'd barely make the grade as Doctor Who monsters. In fact, most of the new aliens and new droid designs would barely pass as Doctor Who designs. Who the fuck approved this?

And the scene itself is just retarded. Nevermind "TELL THA' TA KANJIKLOB", we also have the way these huge noisy shitholes are apparently able to just ambush large groups of people out of fucking nowhere, as well as the fact that they immediately eat anything with a pulse that they can grab, except for that one rathtar who apparently read the script, noticed Finn still had lines, and decided to just be a good host and take him on a tour of the ship.

Actually, let's go back to the gangs: why the fuck are they harassing Han? The Guavian Death Gang lent Han 50k for the job. The job's not done, but Han's still got the rathtars and says he's still on his way to King Prana. They seem to be mad that he also borrowed 50k from Kanjiklub. Why? Would they prefer that he owe them 100k instead of 50k? What's wrong with him diversifying his creditors?

And then Kanjiklub shows up and they're mad for the same nonsensical reasons, and both seem to want to kill Han because they're convinced that the job will fall through when nothing's even gone wrong yet. Han has apparently failed each gang once before, but WHY THE FUCK DID THEY LEND HIM MONEY AGAIN FOR THIS NEW JOB THEN?

Even the in-movie reasons why this scene happens make zero fucking sense.

If you could clean off all the shitty Abrams stylistic choices that make it feel like a Marvel movie, TFA's first third is the first third of a potentially good Star Wars movie, and its last third is the last third of a different potentially good Star Wars movie, while the middle third is just a big tangled wad of duct tape.
>>
>>64326846
You were 5 years when the movies came out, a severe case of nostalgia goggles and a 1 terrabyte collection of R34 Jar Jar porn.
Why should I take your word on anything?
>>
>>64327286
>Not the younglings!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT6aJg2YK8E
>>
>>64326846
I admit it although that second part is not a secret, I openly hate on Disney owning SW and openly say I wish Lucas still owned it.
>>
>>64327800
Because of how big of a fucking creep Annakin was. You should rewatch the movie. It was absolutely the worst Star Wars movie. I cringed so bad.
>>
>>64326846

I always loved the prequels. Never been a hater. Heck I even love AotC more than Phantom Menace. I loved AotC.
>>
>>64326916
I could feel how Abrams changed it. It just felt different.
>>
>>64331312
>Even the in-movie reasons why this scene happens make zero fucking sense.

You're thinking too far ahead.
The reason for them appearing is just so Han can do his smuggler routine and show the audience he still in action.
That's basically it.
They flipped a coin to decide what kind of lines to give him and who will appear.
I'm pretty sure the committee deciding what the script is going to be like had the very first idea to have Han talk to some hutt there on the ship as an introduction and then they eventually toned it down to just some random mooks.

This is all just a platform to push merch for Disney.
The actual story doesn't have to make any sense apart from a very basic plot outline and an immediate reason for characters to run from location A to location B. What they say along the way is irrelevant.
>>
I enjoyed the second and third but:

>First prequel
>Protagonist is a prepubescent child who has to be taken in for mental treatment by Jedi because of his severe magic autism or w/e the fuck that shit was
>Half the screen time is taken up by a lizard bunny asshole who acts like this guy I knew in college that would fingerbang his ass during lecture and then sniff his shit covered pointer

fucking dropped
>>
>>64326846
you contrarian faggots
>>
>>64326846
No I loved them when they came out, and I never stopped loving them, it's the only thing me and my wife's son really have in common
>>
File: 100322fyNa3iAg.jpg (52 KB, 490x490) Image search: [Google]
100322fyNa3iAg.jpg
52 KB, 490x490
>>64331796
>guy I knew in college that would fingerbang his ass during lecture and then sniff his shit covered pointer
>>
>>64331570

It all comes back to >>64329909

Lucas is lacking in many ways. He's bad at comedy -- Jar Jar was SUPPOSED to be a Star Wars Buster Keaton, but when you can't even make Buster Keaton work, you done fucked up. He's bad at dialogue, and will readily admit this if you simply ask him at any time. He's bad about expanding on some of the exposition details he puts into movies -- it would have been quite helpful for Attack of the Clones to get a better picture of why the CIS was trying to secede during the movie, for example, rather than saying vague things about corruption and finally fleshing it out in TCW.

But he's got that vast, fertile imagination and sense of epic/poetic/operatic tone that Star Wars so desperately needs to survive. He brings unbelievable SINCERITY to everything he does; he means every word, every line, every frame. Sarcasm may appear in a character's lines, but it will never appear anywhere else. Irony will always be used for dramatic purposes. At no point will Lucas ever attempt a nudge-nudge-wink-wink to the audience beyond the grimly humorous "Why do I get the feeling you're going to be the death of me?"

Abrams approach to Star Wars is all about nostalgia pandering. That's everything about this movie. Every step of the way, it is nudge-nudge-wink-wink. There is not a sincere bone in this movie's body. Sarcasm, hipster irony, and action movie sensibilities flow through this movie like blood. At every point, it seems to be trying to cater to people who will feel smart for recognizing a Joseph Campbell story beat when they see one, or people who will feel cool for getting the reference to an OT scene, nevermind the fact that it makes no narrative sense to do either given the context of the scene.

And that whole attitude results in sterile inbreeding, as every new movie references the ones that already exist more and more, until Star Wars has been milked for all its worth and then -- only then -- will Disney give it permission to die.
>>
>>64327197
No one hated Clones. The consensus was that it was an improvement over TPM and it is EASILY.
>>
Because I was a little kid and the lightsaber fights were cool as fuck....

The Clone Wars series has the most lore best depiction of Anikans fall to the dark side while being better than the Prequels and the Original Trilogy at the same time.
>>
>>64327800
Because RLM told them to.
>>
>>64327197

Attack of the Clones was an underrated sequel much like the contemporaneous second and third installments in the Matrix trilogy
>>
>>64326846
It's funny how true it's, everyone's hopping on the hate bandwagon since it's what the cool kids do.
>>
>>64327197
This fuckin idiot..... The phantom menace is trash tier go back to reddit with that shit....
>>
I remember watching Episode III with a blank stare the whole way through at its midnight release.

It felt like the entire cinema were really forcing themselves to enjoy it, with all that clapping and cheering over the R2-D2 and elevator antics.
>>
>>64332037

Conflict was better explored in the Clone Wars series, which had a huge focus on strategy and tactics and how the factions negotiated. Yoda was like a combination of Jet Li and Carl von Clausewitz in that thing.
>>
Like episode 1, and find it only banal today because I notice the bad acting.

Eps 2 and 3 I didn't like when I saw them, just like the matrix sequels.
>>
A lot more than the latest movie. Even with those awful soap opera romance scenes.
>>
>>64331474
Han practically rapes Leia by modern standards and Anakin is the one who is the creep.

I hate people almost as much as Anakin hates sand.
>>
>>64332052

Consensus has shifted. Most of what I hear nowadays is that Clones is the weakest movie, due to its clumsy two-forked plot, the fact that Obi-Wan's investigation ultimately dead-ends unsatisfyingly, and the fact that the romance is pretty badly written.

Personally, Attack of the Clones contains some of my absolute favorite scenes of the saga in Obi-Wan's investigation plot, culminating in the incredibly nuanced conversation in Jango's apartment. "I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe" is one of my favorite lines in all of Star Wars; even a lightsaber cannot cut through the tension in this fucking scene as Obi-Wan and Jango both try to outmaneuver each other. The fight on the platform is just round two; round one was right here, and it ends in a perfect stalemate.

But at the same time, I get really exhausted in the last third of this movie, because Geonosis just goes on TOO LONG. In particular, once the Jedi and the droids join the arena fight, I just check out until Yoda finally swings in with his gunship, because it just feels like it's stalling for time.

Because of this, it's the only Lucas-era Star Wars movie that doesn't keep me engaged all the way through, so I too rank it as the weakest movie in the saga.
>>
File: mary sue.jpg (106 KB, 640x463) Image search: [Google]
mary sue.jpg
106 KB, 640x463
The backlash begins. Check the comments, they rip TFA to shreds.

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-12-29/-the-force-awakens-has-a-perfection-problem

> Anakin had considerable time lapse and time to grow as a Force user. Rey, it was just like Joe Almighty where God says to Jim Carey, "Here's all my powers, have fun!"
>>
>>64327850
Which of those two films was nominated for Best Picture again?
>>
>>64332037
>will Disney give it permission to die.
They won't do that

They'll literally reboot the entire franchise.
>>
>>64331796

did you just call out your own post as dropping someone?

fuck you man, you can't do that. stop that
>>
>>64326846
I liked Phantom Menace when it cane out in 5th grade. By the time AotC came out I dodnt like TPM anymore. I thoufht AotC was a fun movie but didn't feel like star wars. I didnt like RotS when it came out.
>>
>>64329492
Lucas is first and foremost a visual director. Plenty of story is told through visuals; you'd have to have glaucoma not to see it. And what is this nonsense about not advancing the story through action scenes? Are you arguing that Lucas threw in a bunch of disposable action scenes just for shits and giggles? There's nothing that's the equivalent of the TR-8R scene in the prequels. Lucas is very economical with his films. Everything has meaning and purpose to it. The plot isn't too convoluted you just checked out and are unwilling to give it a chance. Go watch TFA for the 50th time and marvel in its glib facimiliness.
>>
>>64332256
The romance is completely misunderstood. It's an attempt at an old Hollywood romance. People watch Clones through the mindset of modern filmmaking sensibilities, but Lucas is dead serious when he talks about Star Wars being a soap opera and pulpy throwback. I think Clones is his most indulgent film. Lucas is completely unhinged and I fucking love it.

I understand why the dialogue might be jarring, but context is everything.

I couldn't disagree more about Geonosis. I think that's where the film really soars, leading up to the ending montage which is just a cornucopia of awesome visuals and a stellar mixing of various Star Wars themes.
>>
>>64326846
I am glad that I got to watch the re-release of the OT for the first time in the mid 90s, get in love with the franchise and play with all the Star Wars toys my family had from the 80s, then live through the hype before Episode I release and watch it without cynicism or knowing what makes a movie bad or good.

Sometimes I look at the people that straight up hate the prequels, and it feels like one part of their mind is always resentful, and it feels great that it didn't happen to me.
>>
>>64332540
>people are now saying the dialouge is and romance is SUPPOSED to be shit

are prequel lovers this desperate?
>>
>>64327197
Yep, Phantom Menace was disappointing, but AOTC was really horrible. My friends and I laughed at it in the theater (Padme rolling in the sand), and it made me not even care about Revenge of the Sith.
>>
>>64332389
>Lucas is first and foremost a visual director. Plenty of story is told through visuals; you'd have to have glaucoma not to see it. And what is this nonsense about not advancing the story through action scenes?

so why was there so much goddamn exposition in the prequels then?
>>
>>64332037
So in short, it's pottery
>>
>>64328640
objectively this
>>
>>64332611
> being that ignorant about the dynamics of pulp scifi/fantasy
>>
>>64326846

ive enjoyed all the Star wars but I still think Star Trek as a whole is way better...
>>
>>64332289
It was only because of the novelty.
ANH is garbage.
>>
>>64332778

the show or films?

Films are quite trash... The only good thing Abrams ever was involved in was Lost
>>
>>64332777
you are still making excuses, the dialouge is just shit
>>
>>64332638
Because politics
>>
>>64332812
It's stylized, but not in a cool Tarantino way so it's shit I suppose.
>>
The OT and the PT both had their ups and downs but I still love them both, TFA was alright until they got on the millennium falcon then it went and stayed downhill fast.
>>
>>64332852

Being shit is not being stylized.
>>
>>64332890
So why is camp widely accepted? Is camp not reveling in what's considered trite and absurd? Hardly the hallmarks of a none shit style.
>>
File: 1438009105005.png (20 KB, 560x407) Image search: [Google]
1438009105005.png
20 KB, 560x407
>>64328956
First interesting post since the start of thread. Hope it has replies . Personally I give TFA honorable mention in the series for some interesting and original scenes at the beginning.
>>
>>64332996
I thought it was supposed to be deep political intrigue

are you saying you want camp dialouge with that?
>>
>>64333095

You can literally do both.
>>
>tfw 2 and 3 were basically one big real that Anakin only turned to the dark side because he sexually matured like a normal human being and got laid instead of living like a celibate monk

ok
>>
>>64333095
No, but I'm saying is 'shit' can be stylized and has been stylized before. It should be obvious from the first use of m'lady that Clones was going for something more esoteric.
>>
>>64326846
I don't understand this meme.
>>
>>64332540

My opinion on Geonosis is this:

The droid factory part goes on SLIGHTLY too long, starting to drag at the end, but is mostly okay.

The fight with the beasts is absolute gold. Holy shit I love the beast fight. This is incredible.

"This party's over" is where Geonosis really starts to get bogged down. Once the Jedi and the droids get involved, the fight goes on very long, and this is also where the CGI of the entire prequel trilogy is at its weakest: since so many droids are onscreen at once, so little attention is being paid to how they move, but this isn't a field of grass where nobody will notice: the sand should pick up things like footfalls, and it doesn't, lending the droids a weird sense of weightlessness and absence in the scene. Your eyes notice that something is wrong before they figure out what, specifically, is wrong. There are also problems with the lighting and how they relate to the compositing: Mace Windu's face should not be in shadow when he lands after his jump, considering that the entire arena seems to be brightly lit.

But the biggest problem with this segment of the fight is that it's just so LONG and not a lot gets done during it. Jango dies, C-3PO gets fixed, but other than that, at the end all that's changed is there are now a ton of droids surrounding a bunch of Jedi instead of a few droids surrounding two Jedi and a senator.

Once Yoda cruises in and the ground battle begins, things pick up immensely, and the rest of Geonosis flows quite smoothly, but that middle section is a slog, and the fact that there are no real breaks between any of these big setpieces just makes it all the more exhausting emotionally and mentally.
>>
>>64333207

The prequels left a bad taste in fans' mouths and were torn to shreds by critics when they came out.

Since then there are more people who legit like them but saying you like the prequels is still considered contrarian trolling online and irl
>>
>>64326846
The meme is liking the prequels, you dumb queer.
>>
>>64326846
No
yes
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 470x312) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 470x312
I haven't seen the prequels in a long time, but they always bothered me because narratively-speaking, they refuse to finish their thoughts, and they tend to underline moments that aren't essential to the plot. I've thought of them as museum pieces or coffee table filler. The prequels are George's small art films.

Having said that, I think Kylo, Hux and Poe seem like potentially great characters. I just want an extended interview with George's thoughts on their role in Star Wars.
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 640x430) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 640x430
GREEDO SCREWED FIRST.
>>
>>64333206
I guess The Room had "stylized" dialogue too
>>
>>64333504

>I just want an extended interview with George's thoughts on their role in Star Wars.

Considering that he had nothing to do with the new movie, I don't know what, if anything, he could tell you.
>>
File: The Sith Lord.jpg (213 KB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
The Sith Lord.jpg
213 KB, 1920x816
>>64326846
The prequels could've been great OP, but there were a number of things that stopped it from happening.

1 - Lucas. No one had the balls to call him out on his shit. He himself isn't a great writer or director much, on his own. Some people forget that he only Directed ANH in the OT, not ESB or RotJ.

2 - Setting. While the galaxy pre-empire is an interesting setting - it doesn't make for a good movie when you have to flesh out the universe. Most people who go to see Star Wars don't care about political power grabs and dissent - they want action and adventure.

3 - Romance. Anakin and Padme's romance is the most contrived and forced thing ever. I don't blame Hayden or Natalie, but rather the idea itself, as well as the shitty script. The Prequels should've rather focused on Anakin and Obi-Wan's relationship (like the beginning of RotS does) so Mustafar would feel more genuine.

4 - Authenticity. None of the characters felt truly fleshed out. This idea is reinforced by the setting as well. Think about it, the PT was centered around a massively populated Jedi Order. The Jedi are the fucking epitome of Blank pieces of wood. This is why the Sith like Palpatine and Maul were generally better - they could at least emote things like anger and frustration and still stay in character.

5 - Anakin and Obi-Wan. Mentioned before, but these two were the only two Jedi who had narrative reasons to not be boring pieces of shit. The majority of the PT should've focused on them slowly trusting and appreciating each other as friends. We needed to give a shit about Anakin and Obi-Wan before the final fight tore them apart.

The Mustafar Battle is still the best damn fight in the entire series.
>>
File: image.jpg (240 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
240 KB, 1920x1080
>>64333589
I know, it just seems like he could give some good advice without being too involved.
>>
>>64333585
Now you're just getting desperate.

Go watch an old Flash Gordon serial and then report back with your apology.
>>
File: image.jpg (85 KB, 934x379) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85 KB, 934x379
>>
>>64332389
Maul's reveal reminds me of TR8R
>>
>>64333597
>all these RLM memes
>>
File: image.jpg (77 KB, 1000x429) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77 KB, 1000x429
>>
>>64333237

My opinion about the entirety of the prequels is that virtually ALL the conflict has no dramatic value whatsoever.

Look at the OT, for comparison.
Right off the bat imperials storm a diplomatic ship and Vader chokes the fuck out of the captain.
Then, not too long after that, they blow up Alderaan in a show of force and are perfectly willing to keep blowing up planets until the good guys give up or die.

So it is IMMEDIATELY established what the stakes are, what the bad guys are willing to do and what the consequences of not defeating them will be. All of this is crystal clear.

In the prequels this gets bogged down right at the start by having Neimodians be goofballs, their droids act ditzy and their agenda is unclear and vaguely political.
The separatists in general are a continuation of that, a rag-tag team of clownish cgi cartoon characters that again have an unclear goal and unclear way of achieving it. So they want to secede? And then what? Why not let them? Why are they attacking randomly? Etc ... we know from the larger saga that Sidious is manipulating them into creating strife but they never come across as viable and competent enemies that get shit done. They remain just faceless cgi caricatures for the good guys to mow down. The main conflict of the prequels is because of that rendered dramatically inert and is just there to have waves of faceless characters shoot at each other for no clear reason.

Compare it to, let's say the Hoth battle where if the imperials got their way it might well be the end of the rebellion. Things that matter are on the line.
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 750x423) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 750x423
>>
File: image.jpg (135 KB, 1280x544) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
135 KB, 1280x544
>>
File: image.jpg (196 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
196 KB, 1200x675
Not enough panty shots to really make any headway in the Asian market. Quite an oversight.
>>
Love that people complain about the motivations of the TF, but give TFA a pass for not providing any information on why the Republic and the Resistance are separate entities or what the First Order's ultimate goal is beyond killing Luke Skywalker.
>>
File: sloth sleeper hold.gif (1 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
sloth sleeper hold.gif
1 MB, 400x225
>>64333642

He just gave an interview like yesterday and seems to be committed to the "I think Disney's fucking up but I have to accept that none of this is my problem anymore because everyone wanted me gone anyway so fuck you" position.

Making Episode VII was his idea before the Disney buyout. Before the sale, he talked to Mark, Carrie, and Harrison and said "hey what if we finally did the sequel trilogy" and managed to get them on board for it, then hired Michael Arndt to write the screenplay.

I want to let that last bit sink in for you. George Lucas hired Michael Arndt to write the screenplay for his version of Episode VII. He took the criticism of his writing to heart that much and learned that much about himself through working with a team he trusted on The Clone Wars that he wasn't going to just auteur it all himself this time.

But while they were working on the early draft, he finally got discouraged and realized that no matter what he did, the pre-release hype would never be anything but negative, and even if the movie was hailed as the greatest Star Wars movie of all time after release it would be hailed by the same people who had shit all over him for over a decade now AND through the pre-release of the new one. So he made the sale and gave everything he had so far over to Disney.

Disney promptly threw it all away so they could Marvelize Star Wars, and the rest is history.

I guess in a way we're getting the Star Wars we deserve now. This is the future we chose.
>>
>>64333914
Didn't Lucas want the stars of the new trilogy to be literal kids?
Yeah, I'd rather take a dozen Marvel clones than deal with even one more Young Anakin.
>>
>>64334009
You know not what you say.
>>
>>64326846
>terrible script
>terrible cinematography
>terrible directing
>ruined the characters of the OT
>rest of the characters were boring
>cgi everywhere
Force awakens
>bad script
>unoriginal as fuck
>ruins the whole point of episode 6
>non sensical factions
>doesn't really feel like a fitting continuation in the universe
>bad music
>generic cinematography

Over all 7 beats the prequels
>>
>>64333890
>resistance to a grass-root fascist organization that somehow exist with indifference from the Republic

I get that the prequel were slammed for the political stuff, but this literally made no sense.
>>
>>64334069
Yeah, I do.
I don't even hate most of the Marvel movies, so I don't really feel like I'm missing out on anything.
>>
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 630x472) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 630x472
>>64333914
Damn, to think that George would have directed the sequel to Return of the Jedi ...finally, after all of those years.

I haven't watched TFA. I have no idea how pissed George should be at Disney.
How romantic would you say it is?
>>
>>64334072
>ruined the characters

i dont get this. we never saw the jedi order in the OT. lucas could go any way he wanted and he made them stoic monks. alright cool its not like the OT but I DONT WANT A REHASH OF THE OT. let them be super space monks, thats all good.
>>
>>64326846

they aren't actually that bad desu they just aren't very good, it's just become a fucking ebin maymay to pretend they were the worst thing to ever happen
>>
>>64333890

The bigger issue to me is that it's just not clear what the First Order even is.

In Episode IV, it's obvious what the Galactic Empire is. It's in the name. It's an empire that rules much of the galaxy. As such, the fact that the Rebellion is rebelling against it makes at least some sense: you at least know that they want to overthrow the Empire, even if you don't know why. And then the movie very quickly establishes why: because the Empire are huge assholes.

Even TPM establishes in its crawl that the Trade Federation (evidently a Federation involved in Trade) is composed of greedy assholes trying to pick on Naboo in order to pressure the Republic into changing the laws to favor them. It bungles the job of establishing exactly what the TF wants changed, but at least it's clear what they are and that they want the laws changed.

The First Order arose from the ashes of the Empire. Okay, so it's descended from the Empire, and apparently it's an Order that is, in some way, prior to other Orders, making it the First Order. The crawl also says that it will not rest until Luke Skywalker is destroyed, but in the movie they seem to lose interest in Luke Skywalker after the Falcon leaves Jakku, and it just becomes Kylo Ren's personal hobby. So what they fuck do they want? To kill the Republic and the Resistance, apparently. Why? Why is the Resistance even fighting them? How big is the First Order? I guess they're big enough to need resisting with an organized resistance acting across multiple planets, but small enough that the Republic doesn't care enough to fight them directly? There's no sense of who's got what kind of influence in this movie. Hell, there's no sense of any kind of scale at all.
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 700x455) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 700x455
>>64334072
George has that Western, almost Sergio Leone style... Which is like Master Shot - Close Up, Repeat. It's probably a good method for the artists because they can draw a flat environment, but there isn't enough camera movement to get several different shots without cutting away.

Spielberg is someone who wants to slowly feel his way through the environment with the camera, Lucas seems like he's largely there to take great snapshots or tableaux Vivants.
>>
>and you secretly wish George Lucas was in charge again

oh boy are you mistaken

jew jew abraham is trash, but lucas is also a big hack
>>
>>64334074

>grass root fascist organization

it's literally the Empire having rebranded itself, after ROTJ the Imperial military was still basically intact, all that was lost was the second death star and the highest echelon of leadership, there were still hundreds of thousands of soldiers and leadership figures around on the hundreds of worlds held under Imperial control, and facilities on these worlds and in space
>>
File: poe finn.png (341 KB, 655x334) Image search: [Google]
poe finn.png
341 KB, 655x334
>>64334129

Do you like vague bromances with faint hints of homoerotic subtext?

If so, slightly romantic. Otherwise, not at all.
>>
File: herosjourney.png (53 KB, 392x402) Image search: [Google]
herosjourney.png
53 KB, 392x402
>>64332808
Not the guy you were replying to but holy shit, dude, don't count Abrams' stuff as "Star Trek" - those movies are Trek in name only. Also, the original movies have all the same problem, namely they've tried hard to make Trek into something it isn't: appealing to a mass-audience. The TV shows is where it's at - especially if you hand pick certain episodes from various TOS, TNG and DS9 seasons.

Star Wars is a fantasy franchise in space and a lot more action-oriented than Trek. Abrams' did a good job all things considered - the stakes where incredibly high and I'm sure he wasn't allowed to take any risks after the disaster that was the prequels. I expect The Hero's Journey when I'm watching Star Wars, nothing more and nothing less. And TFA delivers. I especially enjoyed the introduction of Rey, which was done very well, and the use of practical effects when possible. Sure, it's not exactly a thought provoking movie but neither is A New Hope. Star Wars was successful because people were awed by the visuals, not because the story or characters were particularly good or new.

That said, I really hope episode VIII keeps the "fan service" at a minimum and expands the backstory of all new characters. Oh, and give Hamill something cool to do - the guy has earned it for his physical preparation alone!
>>
>>64334131
>Vader made into a whiny loser
>Obi wan is just a boring cunt
>We never see them being friends at all either, or get the feeling they are
>The jedi go from monks who believe in peace and knowledge to a sterile society that bans sex and kidnaps kids, and takes part in wars as an organization.
>Yoda doesn't even talk in the right way, and he's boring
>>
Honestly I will always love The Phantom Menace for Jedi Liam Neesons, Duel of Fates, and showing a younger Obi-Wan to give him really long-term character development. Attack of the Clones really makes me appreciate Anakin in his final stages before Vader, you really get a sense for how much has happened to this kid. Obi-Wan was really great in this movie, it just really had a shadow cast over it by Anakin and Padme's weird fucking "romance" sub-plot. I loved all of Revenge of the Sith and it's probably tied with Return of the Jedi for my favorite film in the series. Anakin finally giving in and becoming a Dark Jedi really appealed to me at the stage I was at in my life where I loved edgy shit like Shadow the Hedgehog. It just really shines out in my mind and fuck I loved the lightsaber duels. That last fight on Mustafar was so intense, I probably watched it 200 times from the prequel DVD box I got for Easter as teenager.
>>
>>64326846
I admit that the prequels offered a unique world of its own, but those films were utter trash.
>>
>>64334344
>faint hints of homoerotic subtext?
Only if you have faint hints of being gay
Did you think Sam and Frodo's relationship was homoerotic too?
>>
>>64326846
>admit it, you were shit at judging movies almost 17 years ago

I'm fucking 22 now you fucking idiot, kids can have shit taste because they don't know better.
>>
>>64334344
I guess I meant romantic in a general sense like a sense of enthusiasm, joy, liveliness, awe, appreciation.
>>
>>64327017
Kek
>>
>>64334564

Oh, you meant in the sense of romanticism.

0%. It's an Abrams movie, what did you expect? He's Michael Bay, but pretentious and extremely nostalgic.
>>
File: archer-edited.jpg (36 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
archer-edited.jpg
36 KB, 500x375
>>64334516

>Did you think Sam and Frodo's relationship was homoerotic too?

Did you not?
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 480x360
George Lucas discusses the outlining process for his trilogy:

"[I] eliminated the odd movies, because they really don't have anything to do with the Star Wars saga. ... I'm just going to keep it pure. It's a nine-part saga that has a beginning, a middle and an end. It progresses over a period of about fifty or sixty years with about twenty years between trilogies, each trilogy taking about six or seven years."
>>
File: image.jpg (549 KB, 1971x844) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
549 KB, 1971x844
>>64334921
The interesting thing about his outline for a trilogy spanning seven years is that you can see it in Shakespeare as well.
>>
>>64327084
They should have written Anakin to more reflect his upbringing, him being a slave, single mom, living on a lawless planet where humans are a discriminated minority.

Instead, we get this incongruity, where he's either some kind of saint that would have never become Darth Vader, or just spoiled which makes no sense.
>>
>>64332996
>>64332037
One of you is saying that Star Wars is intentionally camp, the other is saying that Lucas Star Wars' strength is the sincerity in it. What is it, anons?

Star Wars' strength is that it timelessly appeals to children. It IS sincere, but because of that the "camp" isn't actually good. Yeah George Lucas said in some interview recently that he thinks of Star Wars as a soap opera. But watch the movies. Do you ever get the vibe that this thing is self-aware, meta, whatever? No, it's dead serious and it always has been.

You hate that Abrams' style is always going for the chuckle, the snark. You hate that he thinks he has you wrapped around his finger. It offends some hipster sensibility in you, and so you call him a hipster. I don't particularly like him, but I don't hate him either. And he has the public at large by the balls, because frankly he is speaking today's language. And ultimately that was the problem with Lucas' Star Wars. If the prequels were released a decade earlier it'd be par for the course. But by 1999 anyone who wasn't a kid could not deal with that writing anymore.

It should be no surprise that the prequels and TFA both constantly link into the trilogy. At the end of the day, they're banking a lot on that sense of connection. And let's be perfectly honest... the people want that shit too.
>>
>>64335466

Star Wars NEVER spoke the language of its day, that's the thing.

Even the OT was reveling in the cinematic styles of past decades, drawing most heavily on films from the 30s through to the 50s, and in many cases drawing on far, FAR older influences and inspirations.

Star Wars does not FOLLOW trends, it SETS them. It CREATES them. And even if it fails at creating them, it damn well TRIES. We saw successful trendsetting with the OT and a damn earnest attempt with the PT.

TFA is just trend-following. It's drawing on nostalgia, on the Marvel movie formula, on the political climate, on all kinds of things that are "in" right now to create something that will sell RIGHT NOW. Do you think TFA is going to stand the test of time like A New Hope did? Do you honestly think it's going to stand up to the test of time even as well as The Phantom Menace did? Because I sure don't.
>>
>>64326846

You hit it right on the money with me, OP. I did enjoy the prequels when they came out (and I wasn't a kid either). I thought they were exciting and fun. Eventually through subsequent rewatchings made me notice their flaws, and my friends quoted plinkett review highlights at me about them, I eventually thought they were terrible movies as well. Hell I was happy when Lucas sold the movies to Disney because I thought "Finally, we'll get some GOOD movies again!" I had completely convinced myself that Lucas had nothing to do with what was good in Star Wars and that it was all the work of other people working on the films.

That's probably why TFA hit me so hard. I noticed the story flaws during my first viewing, I mean who couldn't? But my friends all liked it. And the critics all liked it. So I just didn't know what to think for awhile. And it made me look back at the Prequels which I had given so much shit not because of my own opinions but because other people had decided they were trash, and repeated it enough at me that I believed it myself. Now I don't know what to believe. I can't stop stewing about it, though.
>>
>ask someone to say what they didn't like about the prequels
>they quote plinkett verbatim
>>
>>64326846
I enjoyed the fuck out of 1, hated 2 except for the arena scene, felt 3 was lets-just-get-this-over-with. The visuals at the beginning were cool but everything else was very bland and by the numbers, then end feel completely flat and grooves was a wasted character.

I haven't seen TFA and probably won't bother, I don't care for Star Wars that much.
>>
I was a kid when Episode I came out so of course I loved it. I can't stand it now though, even though I really like Qui Gon Jinn and Darth Maul
>>
I liked Phantom Menance

I hated Attack of the Clones and liked Revenge of the Sith
>>
>>64335647
>Do you honestly think it's going to stand up to the test of time even as well as The Phantom Menace did?

It will easily because it's a flat out better movie than Phantom Menace and while it does nothing creative or innovative it doesn't suffer from an needlessly complicated plot and having a character as bad as Jar Jar Binks.
>>
File: interrogation.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
interrogation.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>64334344
Do you like vague bromances with faint hints of homoerotic subtext?
I liked vague interrogations with a slight hint of rape subtext
>>
>>64326846

I think The Phantom Menace gets a lot more shit than it deserves. While it is rather kiddie, it's kiddie in a good way; it doesn't really talk down to the viewer so much as keep things MOSTLY simple enough for a kid to understand and add things that would appeal to children. It's a clumsy movie that makes some mistakes and can sometimes feel like it's chasing its own tail a little, but it's basically fine.

I think Attack of the Clones suffers from the fact that Obi-Wan's investigation really pretty much dead-ends, Geonosis is paced very poorly, and Anakin and Padme feel like they're stalling for time most of the movie until Obi-Wan gets captured. I certainly consider it the weakest movie of the saga, but I rate it a "watchably bad".

I think Revenge of the Sith is not only profoundly underrated but might -- and I do stress "might", I'm still sorting out my feelings on this -- be the best movie in the saga.

I do not at this time consider The Force Awakens part of the saga. VIII will likely influence my final conclusion on the matter.
>>
>>64336166

Do you like kissing cousins?

Because it's practically a given that they're cousins.
>>
>>64336205
>Do you like kissing cousins?
I'm a Muslim. We fuck cousins.
>>
>>64327017
My sides.jpg
>>
>>64329356
Watch Clone Wars, then. That Anakin you want is right there, spot on
>>
>>64336166

>"I can have anything I want."

Or something to that effect.
>>
>>64326916
Good
We told you everyone on here tried to tell you that it would be shit that it would be a JJ Abrams movie and not Star Wars movie
And we were right
>>
>>64326846
Yep. One guy stood up one day all contrarian and said "I don't like the prequels", and then hundreds of millions of people just followed suit.

Fuck off, child. It's cool to say you like them. It's not cool to tell other people they're lying because they don't agree with you.
Jesus.
>>
>>64337299
I don't like the prequels, but your defensiveness points to you being one of the herd that flip-flops with the tide.
>>
File: happy new year on fit.jpg (1 MB, 1755x3285) Image search: [Google]
happy new year on fit.jpg
1 MB, 1755x3285
>>64326846
Can any of you LORE FAGS explain to me how yoda had to be taught by qui gon jin to become a force ghost?

Isn't yoda suppose to be the wisest jedi and shouldn't h have known every thing their is to know about the force?
Was qui gon special or something?
>>
>>64337732

You can be wise and still not know absolutely everything
>>
File: e72.gif (263 KB, 680x1040) Image search: [Google]
e72.gif
263 KB, 680x1040
>>64327383
kik no memes
>>
>>64337732
uh cause yoda wasn't dead dumbass
>>
>>64326846
Yeah, keep posting about them every 15 minutes.That will fix everything wrong about them, make them not terrible and the whole board will agree with you, you OCD piece of shit.
This is what happens to a child when you never set boundaries for him.
>>
>>64328385
shot reverse shot that was brilliantly shot forget interesting camera angle just shot reverse you right the characters dont have to do anything just shot reverse shot and walk down a hall way
>>
>>64329681
i think i fix it for you
TFA
>good writing
>ok comdy
> good acting
>good lore that dont retcon a previous trilogy
9/10
>>
If you ask the anti-prequel sheep why they hate these movies, most instantly break into their mindless regurgitation of the bullshit they heard in the dumb RLM videos. They will never be able to think for themselves
>>
>>64338404

And yet every pro-prequel sheep resort to are memes or "muh lore"
>>
>>64338319

Except for the part where everyone is instantly talented with the force and a person without a single second of training can defeat a trained user with one hand tied behind her back.
>>
>>64337223
>we
Hello reddit
>>
>>64338319
Except for the part where Snoke is just around and apparently always has been.
Oh, and Force-users can extract maps from people's heads, now.
>>
>>64338466
You mean like Luke Skywalker?
>>
>>64337732
Real answer: Qui-Gon was independently training to become a Force Ghost, but that was cut short after he died on Naboo.

So his task now fell to Yoda, and Qui-Gon guided him so he can learn to preserve his own life after death, and then teach Obi-Wan.

Yoda didn't know there was the possibility of true life after death. No one did.
Thread replies: 250
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.