[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do we never talk about the good shows ? I thought we were
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 15
File: Wolf-Hall-Long-Lead-Trailer-02.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Wolf-Hall-Long-Lead-Trailer-02.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
Why do we never talk about the good shows ?

I thought we were patricians.
>>
WE are
that's why WE watched and discussed it when it was airing
>>
File: Wolf-Hall.jpg (45 KB, 615x409) Image search: [Google]
Wolf-Hall.jpg
45 KB, 615x409
>>64317143
>that's why WE watched and discussed it when it was airing
I have never seen any thread about this. And it's not like it's 2 years old. Meanwhile, there's cunny thread and SW hate threads everywhere
>>
Book was better but damned if they didn't do a respectable job. Book was great, actually.
>>
>>64317411
What does the book brings except, you know, History ?

Also, the comparaison to the Tudors is painful. Even if I like Sam Neil and that guy who did Cromwell. The Tudors only redeeming features would be protraying everyone as equally flawed while Wolf Hall shows Cromwell as a frigging Mary Sue.
>>
>>64317199
Except that rather than discussing the show you're complaining about board metashit to do with the show.
>>
>>64317560
This is one of my favourite topics to talk about lately, because I just finished watching the show and am currently halfway through the first book.

The book is much better, because it actually gives Cromwell real, tangible reasons to go do the things he does. There's no reason for him to do half the things he ends up doing in the show, because there is no evidence of a looming threat. Henry is chummy when the script requires him to be and a raging maniac the one time the script calls for it.

The omission of the chapter "Make or Mar", which is, according to Hilary Mantel, a retelling of a certain event in Cromwell's life that one may find in every biography of him ever written, is one of the show's most terrible flaws, because the chapter gives him an overarching motive more important than loyalty or duty--self-preservation--that is entirely missing from the show. Cromwell cries after Wolsey's fall not because he cares about the cardinal, but because he is afraid of losing all that he has built over the years.
>>
>>64317560
>Mary Sue
>gets decapitated
>>
>>64318691
That hasn't happened yet in the show. The show (and the books for that matter) have only reached as far as Anne Boleyn's death.
>>
>>64318691
>>gets decapitated
Who doesn't ?

>>64318633
Well, you can understand his motivations quite well if you think about it. The show is very contemplative, it gives you the time of thinking "with" the character and understand his point of view. I would agree in the show it more comes out as "doing the right thing" according to him, not a sense of self-preservation.

But that damn lolies death mang. Damn.
>>
>>64318767
The books? This stuff actually happened, it's not fiction.
>>
>>64318856
Well, the contemplation it affords the viewer becomes its undoing, because in the absence of the self-preservation motive "doing the right thing" becomes the Cromwell's sole motivation, and Cromwell isn't exactly behaving like a humanitarian by doing the bidding of an asshole king and framing and killing off six people, including an innocent young woman, no matter how ambitious or rude she was.
>>
>>64318889
I know, but we're talking about the retelling of Cromwell's life for TV produced by the BBC under the title "Wolf Hall", a work of historical fiction in which Cromwell does feel like a Mary Sue. As far as the books/show are concerned, Cromwell isn't dead yet, and Henry VIII is a widower about to marry Jane Seymour.
>>
>>64319130
>innocent young woman
she was a player, she just lost.

I'm not saying Cromwell is perfect or completly right but he see the world a specific way and has his own conception of justice, which he tries to live by it, even if it means indulding some childish king.
>>
File: Wolf Hall - Duke of Norfolk.jpg (159 KB, 1024x1536) Image search: [Google]
Wolf Hall - Duke of Norfolk.jpg
159 KB, 1024x1536
>>64317199
Both Mark Rylance and Damian Lewis were great. Bernard Hill too.
>>
>>64319237
>she was a player, she just lost
Exactly. Cromwell in the books is playing to win (of course, history tells us he doesn't, in the end, but we'll leave that for book 3). He's playing for self-preservation. Anne is a threat, she has to go.

In the show, there's no such motive. Cromwell is working to do the "right thing", a regard he utterly fails in. He succeeds in getting rid of an annoying enemy and some rivals in one fell swoop, but TV Cromwell has never expressed or shown an inclination towards self-preservation or ambition.
>>
File: tumblr_nknowrjTfI1ruyz4so3_400.gif (2 MB, 268x240) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nknowrjTfI1ruyz4so3_400.gif
2 MB, 268x240
>>
>>64317024
No one is willing to discuss actual quality content because the strange dweebs here are not worth indulging.

Why do you think so many of these fucking losers are talking about star wars?
>>
>>64319412
Who's best Cromwell ?

Harder. Who's best Wolsey ?

>>64319433
Well, if you know a bit of History you still understand the context and what Cromwell is willing to accomplish. You can also remember his character is the basis for Littlefinger in Game of Thrones and the whole War of Roses + early Tudors IS Game of Thrones
>>
>>
>>64319503
Who was the best Jane Seymour?
>>
File: 1118full-claire-foy.jpg (457 KB, 1118x768) Image search: [Google]
1118full-claire-foy.jpg
457 KB, 1118x768
>>
>>64319503
Oliver.
>>
>>64317024
Brody is a fucking traitor
>>
>>
>>64319622
Wolfhall version hands down

>>64319639
You're not getting this game
>>
>historical Drama made by the BBC
>good
HAHAHAHAHAHA
>Television Shows
>patrician
HAHAHAHAHA
>>
File: 753479_original.jpg (230 KB, 934x1400) Image search: [Google]
753479_original.jpg
230 KB, 934x1400
>>
File: p02g3jgs.jpg (65 KB, 976x549) Image search: [Google]
p02g3jgs.jpg
65 KB, 976x549
>>
>>64319767
She was a qt. Looks better than Anne imo
>>
File: p02kszx4.jpg (19 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
p02kszx4.jpg
19 KB, 480x270
>>
;_;
>>
>>64319722
yeah, american historical shows are SO much better
>>
>>64319979
>>
>>64320180
She was too qt for this world.
>>
>>64317024
>I thought we were patricians.

lol
>>
>>64317024
Patricians watch programs, not shows.
>>
>>64320180
nnnnngn
>>
>>64320352
Patricians watch programmes, you pleb fucking shit.
>>
File: NRK-Broen.jpg (507 KB, 1600x1065) Image search: [Google]
NRK-Broen.jpg
507 KB, 1600x1065
Echoes start as a cross in you,
Trembling noises that come too soon
>>
>>64317024
>tv show/movie 50696050505 about Henry VIII
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.