[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Prequels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
File: obiwan.jpg (19 KB, 236x343) Image search: [Google]
obiwan.jpg
19 KB, 236x343
Okay, so now that /tv/ has seen the light and realized that the prequels were decent, will we be able discuss them without getting derailed by Jar Jar and "muh midichlorians" memes?
>>
A lot of excellent ideas with terrible execution. George is one of the greatest ideas guys in the world but he really needed help to refine them. The ship designs were top notch, the majority of the Jedi ideas were cool, emperor being in the Senate made a lot of sense.

I don't hate George like most do but I wish he was more confident and quit trying to prove himself.
>>
>>64309191
No, because now it will get derailed by "muh contrarians" memes
>>
>>64309191
The best way I scan sum it up

The prequels were decent movies with a couple of really bad elements.

TFA is a dogshit movie with a couple good elements.

Obviously the prequels were a lot better, at the very least they actually showed a completely different reality than OT.

TFA is closer to a remake of ANH than to a proper sequel of ROTJ.
>>
>>64309395
I did find the failed creativity of the prequels to be more fun than the calculated safety of the TFA
>>
I still believe Jar Jar was evil or had evil intentions.

I could just imagine him appearing in episode 8 or 9 and just saying
"All yousa people gonna die"
>>
>>64309191
The prequels are abysmal trash
>muh worldbuilding
everything except worldbuilding is garbage
fuck off and back to /v/eddit millenial underage scum
>>
>>64309290
This. If he wasn't such a control freak the Preqs could've been as good if not better than the OT.
>>
>>64309575
>everything except worldbuilding
The score
The worldbuilding
The acting of a few (namely McGregor and McDiarmid)
The design of pretty much everything
Sheev's character
Hershlag tummy
>>
>>64309575
As we can see by this post, reddit has evolved to superficially fit into 4chan. Notice the reference to /v/. This has nothing to do with the prequels, but the redditor has seen it in other posts and thus has included it in his. An upvote is surely in order for the effort this poster has put in.
>>
I always liked The Phanton Menace. A fun film that got me into Star Wars

Attack of the Clones was fucking terrible. Revenge of the Sith was too rushed and ruined by Hayden Christensen's poor acting.

The Force Awakens was better than all three. You're just a bunch of sad contrarians.
>>
The prequels could have been god tier if the OT team came back to help George

Left to his own devices, you get what...well, we got. Decent ideas marred by shit dialogue and writing and crappy fight scenes
>>
Saganfan83 pls
>>
>>64309191
we get it youre non conformist and 'better than the majority'

can we stop this now
>>
I really think Obi wan in the prequels was the best part of the whole series.
>>
> "prequels were decent"

What in the fuck ... last i remembered they were pure garbage
>>
The events that took place before the OT were really interesting the script was just garbage. I would have focused more on Palpatine's scheming, the corruption of the Republic, Dooku's departure from the Jedi order, and Anakin and Obi-Wan's friendship. Start with Anakin already 15 or so and have Palpatine interact with him a lot early on
>>
VII being boring and somewhat crap doesn't make the prequels any less boring or crap.

We didn't need the prequels or the sequels anyway.
>>
Gorge recently made the comment that the prequels were "space ship movies"
>>
>>64309191

The prequels were fun and filled with a lot of great ideas that either were lost because Lucas failed to convey them clearly or because they were too high brow for plebians to understand.

Long Live Lucas

Fuck the Jews
>>
>>64309191
>Okay, so now that /tv/ has seen the light and realized that the prequels were decent
>prequels
>decent
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>64310995

I and II are garbage.
>>
Ive always thought 3 was okay

I and II are just a chore to watch and that makes them pretty piss poor space adventure movies
>>
I've just rewatched them and I honestly forgot how much i despised Jar-Jar and his stupid fucking race.
>>
>>64309191

2016 is looking to be a bad year if this is the path we're headed down.
>>
Decent as in well made films? Sure

Actually being interesting to watch? No

The main problem with the prequels is that they tell a predetermined story and use characters for the sake of having continuity.

Worst is Obi-Wan who in ep4 was just an old guy who gave Luke some guidance and then promptly died. He's in the prequels because he was in ep4 but he has no reason to be other than that and nothing about his life before ep4 makes him a compelling character
>>
>>64309191
>so now that /tv/ has seen the light and realized that the prequels were decent

Is it too late to nominate this for "meme of 2015?"
>>
Oh her name was actually Hershlag.. I thought it was something about her vajayjay. As in her "shlag".
>>
>>64312205

Worst take ITT

Obi Wan is in every single OT movie you dipshit, he's Luke's #1 mentor and had the strongest connection to his dad
>>
>>64312243

Are you new to bait?
>>
>>64312205
>Decent as in well made films? Sure

Are you kidding? The pacing and camera angles alone disqualify that criteria.
>>
>>64309191
So go watch that movies. I am sure you will have GREAT time! There is so much going on.
>>
>>64312307

>le epic trole
>>
>>64312205

Well, I agree with you at least on how their telling a predetermined story kind of messes up some of the possible tension.

But you have to remember that Lucas was also making the movies to be the first half of a saga he had envisioned in his head. People new to Star Wars are supposed to start at Episode 1 and move forward.

That was kind of a double edged sword and I think it's only now that we can watch all six films in a row with the reworked Originals, that we can sort of appreciate some of what Lucas was trying to do, even if some of us don't like everything he did or think he hit the center of board each time he threw his darts.
>>
>>64312243
As a character, he's in ep4, 5 and 6 don't even warrant mentioning as he's just exposition giver.

Which is only a little bit better than his purpose in the prequels
>>
>>64312322
>The pacing and camera angles alone disqualify that criteria.

Maybe some of the pacing in the first two, but camera angles? Nah. You're delusional
>>
>>64312389

Thanks for sharing
>>
>>64312407
Every scene that has characters talking for more than 5 seconds looks like a fucking soap opera.
>>
>>64312338
>There is so much going on.

There's actually a whole lot going on in the prequels if you pay close attention that they would have been absolute masterpieces were they either split into more than three films or if Lucas was just a little better of a director.

As they stand they are 7/10 flicks that had a lot of potential to be 10/10.
>>
For the PT

They should have started Anakin as a late 20s or 30-something fighter ace for the Republic. He gets shot down behind enemy lines, gets rescued by General Kenobi's troops, meets General Kenobi. Is presented with a medal on Corsucant. The reformist Senator Palpatine takes an interest in him.

Kenobi is an actual General. The Jedi are still basically gone, but he wears the lightsaber on his belt as sort of an affectation (or so everyone else thinks). He sees something in Anakin and wants to pass on his knowledge.

Palpatine is an influential senator who wants to stamp out corruption in the Senate. He uses his own guile, influence, and charisma to rise in power in the Senate. His descent to the dark side should be more of an interest in it as the occult. He's never a "Sith" or "Jedi" he just gets further and further corrupted by his knowledge of the dark side. Which is why he shoots lightning and has visions, but not much else.

Anakin can be drawn to Palpatine's effort to root out corruption in part due to what he's taught by Kenobi. That in turn leading to his own downfall and the split between Anakin and Kenobi (probably also due to scheming by Palpatine).
>>
>>64309575
your reddit is showing
>>
>>64312466

Star Wars is a soap opera
>>
>>64309290

thistbh
>>
>>64310115

found the redditor
>>
>everyone hates the prequels for years for being shit
>new star wars movie comes out and is a huge hit
>ya know guys the prequels really weren't that bad, i actually like them
Never change /tv/
>>
File: Lukas Hideo.jpg (21 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
Lukas Hideo.jpg
21 KB, 300x400
Master George, I...

>MGS
A New Hope
>MGS2
Empire Strikes Back
>MGS4
Return of the Jedi
>MGS3
The Phantom Menace
>MGS: PW
Attack of the Clones
>MGS: GZ
Revenge of the Sith
>METAL GEAR SOLIDâ„¢ V THE PHANTOM PAINâ„¢ by KONAMIâ„¢
STAR WARSâ„¢ THE FORCE AWAKENSâ„¢
>>
This scene was better than the entirety of TFA

http://youtu.be/vYcUq4g6rGs
>>
>>64309191
They really botched Anakin
>>
>>64312667

There were always "the prequels weren't so bad, guyz" threads before
>>
The prequels weren't executed in a decent fashion there's just a decent story in there somewhere.

It frustrates me that Obi-Wan seems to be pretty consistently annoyed with Anakin, actively protesting Qui-Gon's interest in him even, when Obi's whole character arc would have been stronger had he been the one who believed in Anakin from the get-go.

Also fucking boring confusing nonsensical politics
>>
File: 1451444639222.jpg (42 KB, 500x518) Image search: [Google]
1451444639222.jpg
42 KB, 500x518
>>64312676
comparing films with video games
>>
Actually watch the prequels again before running your mouth about how decent they are, you dumb cucks.
>>
>>64312676
fucking stop with your MGS shit and take it to /v/ where someone might care
>>
>>64312676
this doesn't work at all though
>>
>>64312743
Fuck off back to reddit, underage
>>
>>64312761
hey reddit.
>>
>>64312719
>>64312758
>>64312754
hello
reddit
>>
File: 1327847691872.jpg (35 KB, 566x472) Image search: [Google]
1327847691872.jpg
35 KB, 566x472
Pros of the prequels
>Ewan McGregor is GOAT as obi-wan
>Emperor is GOAT as usual
>Cinematography is great because Lucas is a visual director
>The vast amounts of planets and setting were really cool to see
Cons of the prequels
>Literally everything else

Lucas had good ideas but he had nobody to bounce them off so they're all basically rough draft ideas because all his Yes Men told him how amazing they were.
Also he was a lazy fuck and just made everything CGI which made the movies just look fake and outdated almost immediately(ROTS has "okay" CGI) and made it really hard for his actors to give good perfomances because they're trying to act alongside CGI people in a big green room.
Prequels had the ground floor to be good, Lucas is just a hack who refuses to accept constructive criticism.

Also no the prequels are not decent, not even ROTS.
>>
>>64312506
No, it's a space opera you retard. Regardless, the camera angles during the dialogue scenes are so fucking boring.
>>
I've never watched Attack of the Clones why is it seen as so bad?
>>
How would you improve them?

More focused in the clone wars
Anakin is older, maybe a teenager.
Different cast for Anakin?
No podracing
Darth maul doesn't die in I
Darth Maul, Dooku, Sheev vs the Jedi, no rule of 2.
Anakin and Obi Wan are actually good friends
No Grievous
Padme survies, goes to Alderaan with babby Leia
The clones aren't based on Jango Fett
>>
>>64312853
Watch it and find out.
>>
>>64309698
>everything Lucas had nothing to do with
Top kek mate
>>
>>64312863
There's no real way to salvage them because everything in them is wrong.
>>
>>64312853
/r/Cuckold can't understand Romance
>>
>>64312205
>he has no reason to be other than that and nothing about his life before ep4 makes him a compelling character

No actually he is the strongest connection besides Leia to Darth Vader.

If Obi Wan were to just show up at one point during the prequels to say "Oh hi Anikyn lets go fight these droids" then Obi wan wouldn't have as strong as a connection with luke and probably wouldn't have even given a shit about his kids to take Luke to tattoine and sit around for 20 years and watch him in the first place.
>>
>>64312743
I just watched the whole series again.

3>6>5>1>4>2

Top 3 are all pretty interchangeable with each other, as are the bottom 3. ANH rides mostly on nostalgia alone at this point and is definently not a top 2. TFA isnt even star wars and as such is far worse than all of them.
>>
>>64312835
>No, it's a space opera you retard.

Do you even know where the term "opera" in "Space opera" comes from?

Space opera was an insult used to describe cheap sci-fi shlock that was like the soap operas on radio and television
>>
>>64312940
how old are you
>>
>>64309575
this
>>
File: 1440405775083.png (304 KB, 525x477) Image search: [Google]
1440405775083.png
304 KB, 525x477
>>64312703

There are people who unironically believe this.
>>
>>64312480
haha look at this fag.

He thinks he can write a compelling story!
>>
>>64309191
>realized that the prequels were decent

No they weren't. They were all fucking trash.
>>
>>64312995
WE GOTTA GET TO DAT KWAD JUMPA
>>
The biggest problem is that you know what's going to happen so there's not much drama.

Also not a great idea giving each movie a different villain. Not as much time to develop them.
>>
>>64312863
Focus on Obi-wan as the main character, not Anakin.
Take the journey of the rise of the empire and the fall of anakin from obi-wans perspective.
>>
>>64309698
>McGregor and McDiarmid
The best actors of the whole franchise t b h

One of the best jedi
One of the best sith

Ewan
Ian

Last name starts with Mc, it's like poetry

>i
>t
>
>r
>h
>y
>m
>e
>s
>>
>>64313026

Just like the rest of Star Wars
>>
>>64312979
31. How about you kid?
>>
>>64312977
>Space opera was an insult used to describe cheap sci-fi shlock that was like the soap operas on radio and television
Wrong. The original Science Fiction stage and screen adaptations were musicals. Operas in space, so to speak.
>>
>>64312995
Jar-Jar was better than the entirety of TFA.
>>
It's a fun story to follow, but the prequels are absolutely not good films. Lucas's "tell, not show" style of the first two movies would get a D+ in community college film school. If he wanted to write in that style, he should have just extended the series with short novels.
>>
>>64312977
This is irrelevant to the fact that the camera angles are garbage.
>>
>>64313029

The prequels probably had a more diverse array of villains and antagonists than the originals ever did.
>>
>>64313070
>It's a fun story to follow,
>We cannot stand for the taxation of trade routes
>>
>>64313055
I don't know how you can have such shit taste. You must be braindead.
>>
>>64309569
simply ebin :^)
>>
>>64313061
>The term "space opera" was coined in 1941 by fan writer (and later author) Wilson Tucker, in a fanzine article,[1] as a pejorative term. At the time, serial radio dramas in the US had become popularly known as soap operas because many were sponsored by soap manufacturers. Tucker defined space opera as the SF equivalent: a "hacky, grinding, stinking, outworn, spaceship yarn".[2] Even earlier, the term horse opera had come into use as a term for western films. In fact, some fans and critics have noted that the plots of space operas have sometimes been taken from horse operas and simply translated into an outer space environment, as famously parodied on the back cover of the first issue of Galaxy Science Fiction. Still, during the late 20s and early 30s when the stories were printed in science fiction magazines, the stories were often referred to as "super-science epics".[3]
>>
>Maul kills Qui-Gon
>"oh cool. Guess this is going to be the villain, seeing as they just gave us a reason to hate him. Anakin will take his place when he presumably kills him and turns to Vader"
>Maul dies moments later
>welp

>Force allows Obi-Wan and Anakin to detect so much as poisonous bugs sent to kill Padme
>Palpatine strong enough with Dark Side to have an apprentice of his own
>none of the dozens of Jedi he surrounds himself with on a regular basis can sense this at all, even once they're told by Dooku that there is a Sith Lord among the senate
>>
>>64313090
I don't know why you say this as a good thing. Also all of the "diverse" villains are just "vacant asshole with a lightsaber being manipulated by Palpatine" and Palpatine, which makes them worse than the OT, because at least Vader was a compelling asshole with a lightsaber being manipulated by Palpatine.
>>
What would Lucas 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 episodes be like?
>>
>>64313107
>someone has an opinion over a worthless movie series thats different from mine!
>they must be retarded!

okay
>>
>>64313107
Why? 3 and 6 both have the best parts, and 5 isnt too bad either. 1, 4 and 2 all have stuff going for them too, just not nearly as much as the other 3. TFA is just fucking full retard.
>>
>>64312814
>>Cinematography is great because Lucas is a visual director
A CAMERA AND B CAMERA
The CGI action/war scenes yes, everything with exposition is terrible.
>>
>>64313121
btfo desu senpai
>>
>>64313190
If you think any of the prequels are in the top 3 best star wars movies, then yes, you're retarded.
>>64313213
>3
>any good parts
>1 and 2
>have any stuff going for them
>TFA
>bad
You're dumb IRL.
>>
There's a reason why basically every other board thinks /tv/ is a fucking joke.

HINT: It's shit like this
>>
>>64309698
> everything except worldbuilding
> literally the second thing mentioned ks world building

Your movies are shit and your life was a waste of everyone's time
>>
>>64313173
>I don't know why you say this as a good thing.

Cause it is a good thing

>which makes them worse than the OT, because at least Vader was a compelling asshole with a lightsaber being manipulated by Palpatine.

It was the prequels that made Vader a victim of Palpatine though.
>>
/tv/ should collaboratively write a better prequel trilogy
>>
>>64309191
you might think I'm trolling with phantom menace placement but I'm not
>great tier
empire strikes back, the phantom menace
>good tier
a new hope, the force awakens

>you would have to pay me to watch it tier
return of the jedi, revenge of the sith
>so bad I left it out on purpose tier
>>
>>64313284
>Cause it is a good thing

It's not a good thing when each of the villains is a one-note non-character with zero depth and just an excuse to show off a cool lightsaber.

>It was the prequels that made Vader a victim of Palpatine though.

No, Return of the Jedi did that.
>>
>>64313302

They should if for nothing but the fun, but the problem with Lucas' prequels had much less to do with his ideas and just his direction. But one might still appreciate some of Lucas' "telanovella" style.
>>
>>64313325
What exactly makes The Phantom Menace great besides the fact that you saw it when you were 9?
>>
>>64312506
>>64312977
They're also 100-million dollar+ movies. They should look better. Instead, they have terrible, washed out lighting and flat camera angles.

You're exactly like the idiots trying to justify why Avengers looks like a TV movie whenever there isn't something computer generated on the screen. I hope you know this.
>>
>>64309191
No dude. Bottom line they're not good films. With the prequels, Lucasfilm basically produced SW's version of TNG.
>>
>>64312787
Are you kidding me? Reddit shoves video game references into unrelated topics where they can. Just like you did.
>>
>>64313255
How is TFA good? Its not even a coherent movie, much less one that adheres to the lore of the other 6.

As far as 3 having no good scenes... oh I'm laffin
>>
>>64313169
>not understanding the lore
>>
>>64312703
>SO, THIS REPUBLIC THINGY? IT'S AN EMPIRE NOW LOL
>YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

TFA's worldbuilding is solid gold compared to this shit
>>
>>64313334
>It's not a good thing when each of the villains is a one-note non-character with zero depth and just an excuse to show off a cool lightsaber.

Right, cause it's not like every villain or antagonist in the Original Trilogy besides Vader was one note or anything. How could I forget all the depth there was to General Veers

>No, Return of the Jedi did that.

Return of the Jedi made him someone who sought the power of the Dark Side and became enslaved to it, even to his own harm, but deep down regretted his decision. THe prequels turned into a confused young preyed on by a pedophile who filled his need for a more encouraging father figure and promised him the secret to saving the person he loved most only to trick him into losing everything.
>>
File: eat shit.jpg (8 KB, 200x252) Image search: [Google]
eat shit.jpg
8 KB, 200x252
Call me a purist/hipster/nostalgic fag, but TFA is pure shit. It's ANH all aver again, but with a bigger death star and a more evil empire. "That would be awesome", most of you may think, but actually, it's not. You get the impression that JJ Abrams took ANH's script and changed some names and costumes. It's pure copy/paste. A droid with secret plans is launched to a desert planet with a classified message, the casual finding of a seeming useless villager (now a scavenger) that may bring balance to the force, the evil pupil (now a teenager with daddy issues) with a more evil and cadaveric tutor, the rebels that destroy a death star (now a fucking planet that absorbs it's energy from the sun - can we get any more melodramatic than this?) with small fighters and a plan that isn't more elaborated than "let's do it". After, the hermit jedi that teaches the neophyte on the ways of the force (that now can be learned just as easy as an omelete recipe).

FUCK, it's so obvious that i can't believe the critics are applauding this shit. It's a new hope mixed with a Mexican soap opera and pew pew kaboom. I'm starting to believe in /pol/ speech.

The prequels were WAY fucking more cohesive and coherent than TFA. And I don't like the new dark atmosphere that TFA brings to Star Wars.
>>
>>64313464
TFA is a coherent movie and does adhere to the lore, though.
>>
>>64312001
This is an idiot. And he must run /tv
>>
>>64313513

This desu senpai
>>
>>64313492
Go look up these two guys called Napoleon or Julius Caesar
>>
>>64313513
>The prequels were WAY fucking more cohesive and coherent than TFA
This is impossible, as there is nothing cohesive or coherent about the prequels.
>>
>>64310115
got to say I agree completely. I have more fondness for Revenge of the Sith though
>>
>>64313573
>mommy look, I said it again!

Hello reddit
>>
File: 1450996783657.png (2 MB, 1458x1546) Image search: [Google]
1450996783657.png
2 MB, 1458x1546
Reminder that anyone who says ESB is the best and ROTS is shit should be hazed and mocked until he takes his ass back to reddit
>>
>>64309395
>>64309517
For future reference, this bait would've worked fine without the samegagging.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (55 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
55 KB, 1280x720
>>64313547
No. Hyperdrive is now pure magic, Rey is pure magic, and the treasure map to Luke being in a completely uncharted area is a straight up retcon of AotC and makes zero sense when its piss easy to do a star survey when you can get to locations like this. The whole galaxy was never explored, but they absolutely would have had a full star map.
>>
File: happening 4.gif (23 KB, 310x760) Image search: [Google]
happening 4.gif
23 KB, 310x760
>>64309191
It's not too late /tv/, there is still good in this board.
I feel the conflict within you. Let go of your memes.
>>
>>64313564
Julius Caesar appointed himself dictator a la Hitler. You kind of make a case with Napoleon, but there were far more subtleties involved than "were empire now lol"
>>
>>64313655
How did they get this far away from the galaxy?
>>
>>64313513
If the prequels are anywhere close to being coherent..then you sir are completely incoherent.
>>
>>64313680
>Julius Caesar appointed himself dictator a la Hitler.

Caesar was a popular dictator who built his power by appealing to the plebs

so yeah, like Hitler.
>>
>tfw no Darth Plagueis in film
>>
>>64313680
Look up "moving the goalpost"
>>
>>64313603
>if I cry reddit then I don't have to actually respond!
>>
>>64313655
>No. Hyperdrive is now pure magic
Nah.
>Rey is pure magic
Nah.
>and the treasure map to Luke being in a completely uncharted area is a straight up retcon of AotC
Nah.
>>
>>64313648
I think SW and ESB are the only good of the lot. Don't appreciate being rep'ed by fedora neck beard meme.
>>
>>64313775
What am I even supposed to respond to? It's coherent, you just don't understand it
>>
>>64313837
>I think SW and ESB are the only good of the lot.

*tips
>>
>>64313841
Not more coherent than TFA.
>>
>>64313837
and I saw TFA last night and felt I was watching the strongest acting since the first two. IMO It's a better entry than the prequels.
>>
>>64309395
Millennials: the post
>>
>>64313703
Hyperdrive can travel across the galaxy in less than a day, so as soon as you got free by going up or down of any obstructions you could basically get wherever. Thats only a few galactic diameters away.

>>64313807
Yes to all of them actually, unless Rey had years of training before being mind wiped. The other 2 arent up for debate however.
>>
>>64313573
The prequels got more coherent as they went along, but the problem is that they had next to no idea how to tell their stories visually outside of a few scenes. Everyone fought the same with a lightsaber instead of their styles reflecting their personalities. Every scene was blandly filmed and edited instead of being structured in ways that conveyed the story.

TFA, for all of its faults, does a great job with conveying its story visually.

>>64313739
I didn't move the goalpoasts. That phrase isn't just something you can slap on to win an argument.

My point from the beginning has been that the handling of the transition was unsubtle, ridiculous, and far too quick.
>>
>>64313971
Not that other anon but you should watch the OT again. Or if you really want to hold onto the prequels, also watch that Clone Wars cartoon where the uncharted regions are canon.
>>
File: butthurt.jpg (87 KB, 1000x572) Image search: [Google]
butthurt.jpg
87 KB, 1000x572
>pretending the prequels were good
>pretending TFA was bad
>this much damage control
>>
>>64314071
hello reddit
>>
>>64309191
I watched ROTS last night. Any scene with Hayden Christiansen or Natalie Portman in it was a cringe fest, Sheev was hilarious, the battle scenes had way too much going on, Grievous was pointless, the lizard thing Obi War rode was in the movie way too much, and Anakin just switched to the dark side like that, there was always too much going on screen during battles, and the fights were spinny bullshit. The story was good but nothing else was.

I don't remember the other 2 being any better.

5/10 entertaining in the same way Transformers was.
>>
>>64314071
TFA wasn't "bad" there's just no reason for it to exist
>>
>>64314096
From my point of view, you're the reddit.
>>
>>64312490

>m-maybe if I call them redditors they won't realize I am
>>
>>64314135
don't try it, reddit

I have the high ground
>>
>>64314133
ok George
>>
>>64314056
>Everyone fought the same with a lightsaber instead of their styles reflecting their personalities.

This is wrong though. Even Count Dooku's style and even his lightsaber handle was made to reflect his aristocratic personality.
>>
>>64314179
ok RedditLetterMedia
>>
I really REALLY hope the rumours of a Kenobi movie with McGregor in the lead is true.

Obi Wan was always a hero of mine. It's the main reason I'm a lvl25 Virgin.
>>
>>64314057
Cartoon isnt canon, and AotC clearly has a full map. Give me 1 reason they wouldnt be charted (not explored) if you can travel and get full top, bottom side on views of the galaxy as ESB clearly shows.
>>
>>64314056
Did we watch the same movies?

>Naboo is being embargoed
>Chancelor Valorum does nothing
>Senator Palpatine convinces Queen Amadala to make some heartfelt speech about how the beurocrats are ruining the Republic
>Senator Palpatine makes a speech about needing to reform the Senate, so he runs for Chancellor
>Naboo is attacked
>Everyone loves Palpatine
>Palpatine becomes Chancellor
>Wins the Civil War
>everyone agrees that he should be an Emperor

It literally took 10+ years

Unless you're still in kindergarten, I don't see how you can't understand it
>>
>>64314179

George and Lucasfilm were thinking about making Episode VII before the buy out.
>>
>>64314154
Your thoughts betray you, Reddit. I feel the 4chan in you, the conflict.
You couldn't bring yourself to sit through the prequels before and I don't believe you'll destroy the OT now.
>>
>>64314133
Old dude here and liker of TFA. You're probably right but even back in 1983 I thought the prequel exploration was not a good one [mentioned in a Time magazine article.] I wondered 'why, what's the point?' I didn't care how Darth Vader came to be. I thought it was already awkward how he was redeemed.
>>
>>64314179
no, seriously

wasn't the entire point of the Star Wars films Anakin's fall to the dark side and eventual redemption, bringing balance to the force by killing Palpatine?

if the Sith and rebels and shit are still going at it then how the fuck was episode 6 or any of the events of 1 - 6 even relevant at all? how was Anakin the chosen one if he didn't really bring balance to much of anything? The first order is building a weapon that puts the Death Star to shame in TFA so how exactly have things improved at all? All of that buildup was for nothing just through TFA existing
>>
>>64314221
Obi Ewan Kenobi is easily my favourite SW character.
>>
A thousand different characters and a thousand different worlds doesn't help the fact that ep 1 and 2 are beyond terrible trash. Rather than turning off your brain you need to be put into a coma to make it through those terrible flicks.
>>
>>64314228
The cgi cartoon is canon anon, I'm not talking about the samurai jack one.

How do you know that's a galaxy in Empire or more specifically the galaxy the story takes place in?
>>
>>64314190
Grasping at straws. He used the same stances and the same motions that everyone else used.
>>
>>64313513

No matter how many times you say the prequels were coherent in any way won't make it true you fucks.
>>
>The prequels are decent
>I always liked them
>they are better TFA because they were "ambitious" (but really its because Lucas isn't part of the tribe)

the start of a cancerous new meme
>>
>>64314294

Except he didn't. The only one grasping at straws is you cause you're the one lying.
>>
>>64314262
>i like the same shit over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over
nostalgiafags, ladies and gentlemen

George was right.
>>
>>64314326

>if I call it a meme I can ignore the fact that I don't have a valid argument.
>>
>>64314292
If you can travel through the galaxy, crowded with stars, you can easily travel up and out, regardless of whether you want to pretend that isnt the SW galaxy or not. If the CGI show has lost entire parts of the star map its full retard too, especially since thats prior to the jedi temple being destroyed.
>>
>>64313169
>none of the dozens of Jedi he surrounds himself with on a regular basis can sense this at all
Yoda and Mace say that something is clouding their vision--->that would be Sheev
>>
>>64314294
Have you even watched them in 15 years? His fighting style is noticeably different.

Also, he's called Count because Christopher Lee used to play Count Dracula
>>
>>64314339
>The only one grasping at straws is you cause you're the one lying.
middleschool.txt

There's nothing different about the way he fought. At all.
>>
>>64314153

Either a redditor or a45 Year old manchild faggot.
Calling people millenials isnt an insult.
Just makes you seem old and faggoty
>>
>>64314262
I mean I like the prequels - only as told out of Alec Guinness's mouth.
>>
>>64309191
Phantom Menace is my favorite of the prequel trilogy. It's just such a cozy, comfortable space adventure. In a way, it captures the naivete of Anakin as a child (even though he's not the main character).

It also takes some major risks and tries new things. Does it always work? No. This film has its flaws, but so do the other films in the series. If you can forgive Empire for being incredibly boring in the middle, if you can forgive Jedi for the Ewoks and the second Death Star, then you can forgive Menace for its fault.
>>
>>64313412
>SW's version of TNG.
This was really top notch bait. Have pity (You)
>>
>>64313513
>TFA = ANH meme

Yeah, and A New Hope is just Flash Gordon. No art is original.
>>
>>64314414
guinness is a meme actor
>>
>>64314409

Yes, there is. Anyone with eyes can see the difference in his stance.

They even came up with different lightsaber forms. Obi-Wan, Mace, Dooku, Sidious, Anakin, etc. all use certain numbered forms matching their personalities.

Dooku uses Form 2
>>
File: space is big.jpg (120 KB, 707x344) Image search: [Google]
space is big.jpg
120 KB, 707x344
>>64314382
You realize that having a picture of a galaxy isn't the same as having it mapped out, right?

Even if you know where all the star are, that doesn't tell you much about the planets or what structures are on those planets. Are you saying we've charted out the galaxy on the left just because I got this image of it?

Jedi Temple shit only covers the knowns of the galaxy, obviously.
>>
>>64314400
Lore wise, whenever a Sith is active and doing "Sith things", a Jedi's power is diminished. Mace Windu explained this in Ep 2. Force users can sense lots of things, like bed bugs or some shit. However, sensing a Sith is hard, because a Sith can cloud a Jedi's senses, literally and figuratively. A Sith can make a Jedi see things that aren't really there. Case in point, Luke seeing Vader on Dagobah, or Anakin seeing Padme die in childbirth, or Palpatine disguising himself as a middle aged gentleman.

A Sith is also by nature much stronger than a Jedi. There are some exceptions, but usually this is the norm. Even being in the presence of a Sith is very tough for a Jedi, which makes Luke being in the presence of Vader and Palpatine at once prove how strong Luke is
>>
>>64314558

Lore wise, Sidious is one of the most powerful Siths, if not the most powerful the galaxy has known for a long time. At least in terms of his mastery of the force.
>>
>>64314535
You realise theres been hyperspace travel for a 1000+ years. Yes it would have at least all the stars mapped by now. They specifically say as such in AotC. That BB8s piece, with shitloads of stars as reference points l, doesnt exist on maps is fucking stupid as a plotline and not at all holding ti the previous 6 films.
>>
>>64309191
Attack of the Clones is probably my least favorite of the prequels, but it's still a good film, and still a good Star Wars film.

I think my favorite stuff in it is right at the end. The arena stuff is really great, as is the fight with Dooku. I'm not a huge fan of having Yoda fight, but he is a Jedi, and Jedis fight with lightsabers, so it's not really that terrible.

Like Empire, though, Clones has the problem of having a really boring middle. Unlike Empire, Clones doesn't have a really good start, either.

However, overall, I'd say it's still an enjoyable Star Wars film.
>>
>>64310115
I agree with this, except because Revenge of the Sith is the best of the prequels and better better than TFA despite some comical faults.
>>
>>64309191
Hello Reddit.
>>
>>64314602
He even killed the guy that had the power to create...memes.
>>
>>64314654
ROTS has shit acting. No other fault is worse.
>>
>>64314462

The entire film is a flaw.
>>
>>64309290
this
>>
File: 1450466843282.jpg (31 KB, 224x300) Image search: [Google]
1450466843282.jpg
31 KB, 224x300
>>64314662

Have you ever heard the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Big Guy?
>>
>>64314622
>Yes it would have at least all the stars mapped by now. They specifically say as such in AotC.
Stop making shit up.

Sorry JJ and Kasdan don't care about the prequels, must really annoy you huh?
>>
>>64314748
It's a /tv/ legend?
>>
>>64314805

And yet they care so much about the OT as to totally rehash it while shitting all over the conclusion of RoTJ
>>
>>64314805
Actually, he is right. I watched Episode 2 on Monday. Obi-Wan is in the Jedi's library searching for Kimino in the directory. He asks the librarian, who respond with something like, "If it's not in our archive, it simply doesn't exist."
>>
The Empire Strikes Back > A New Hope > Return of the Jedi > Revenge of the Sith > The Force Awakens > Attack of the Clones = The Phantom Menace

At least we can all agree on this, right?
>>
>>64314822

>How ironic, he could save other memes from death, but not himself.
>>
>>64309191
Revenge of the Sith firmly sits between The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones for me.

Again, like Empire, it has a middle that drags, but that boring middle is a lot shorter, and it's a little less boring. The opening is fantastic, full of space adventure. Where the movie shines, and what keeps that middle bit from getting too boring, is the interaction between Anakin and Palpatine. Ian McDiarmid is really strong in this film and really keeps it going. The final portion of the film is really great. Anakin against Kenobi is great, so is Yoda versus the Emperor. The Order 66 sequence is really good.

But for me, personally, I just like the gentle space adventure of Phantom Menace more than the story of Anakin's downfall that is Revenge of the Sith. At the same time, I could see where someone would feel differently and prefer Sith over Menace. I think it boils down to personal preference when it comes to those two films.

And that's how I feel about the prequels: they're good, enjoyable Star Wars films.
>>
>>64314860
I guess everything in the EU also shat all over the "conclusion of ROTJ"

come up with another talking point tryhard
>>
Is it canon that Plagueis created Anakin in the womb of Shmi
>>
>>64314970
Is it possible to learn this power?
>>
>>64313954
Reddit: The post
>>
>>64314996

>anyone caring about the EU
>>
>>64314942
I cannot.

The Empire Strikes Back isn't that great. In fact, it's kind of hard to sit through. It just drags hard after the Hoth battle, and doesn't pick up again until Luke confronts Vader. The Yoda stuff tries its best, and is good on its own, but fails to carry the film.

I'd say Empire is the worst of the three original films. Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith are also better. I'd say it's better than Attack of the Clones easily, though. That said, it's by no means a terrible film.
>>
>>64315013
Not from a mod...
>>
File: CIA05.jpg (122 KB, 484x725) Image search: [Google]
CIA05.jpg
122 KB, 484x725
>>64315007
SHMI?
>>
I loved the prequels, the excellent fight scenes, the characters, the funny dialogue, sure it was a bit rough here and there, but Lucas is an experimental artist, the themes and symbolism he explored in the prequels trumps anything in the originals, and I love the deep lore in it all, me and my wife's son love talking about it.
>>
>>64315079
>Anonikan: "I pledge myself to your postings"
>>
>>64315090
yeah shmi maimen
>>
>>64314696
If you just want to shit on films, that's fine, but I don't see what's the point in that.
>>
hoping they bring back jar jar in ep 8
>>
>>64314690
Ian McDiarmid and Ewan McGregor give solid performances. Everyone else is okay.
>>
>>64314696
Fuck off Plinkett
>>
>>64314860
>while shitting all over the conclusion of RoTJ
kek, yeah okay faggot

>>64314869
Are you implying that other galaxies don't exist or that a slave baby on Tatooine doesn't exist because they wouldn't be in the archives?

This is the same problem the EU had, not every line in the movies has to be expanded as literally true.
>>
>>64314860

You could say that literally any sequel shits on the end of the movie before it.

>movie has conflict, conflict later resolved

>sequel has new conflict

>DAFUQ? Now resolving the first conflict is obsolete because there's a new conflict!

Idiot.
>>
>>64315065
just pointing out muh anakin muh balance muh prophecy is a stupid argument, no one cared then and the only reason anyone cares now is to pull a reason out of their ass to hate FA and fit in
>>
>>64314277
I don't really think TFA is much better. It's actually kind of worse because it hides it's flaws. It's just a JJ Abrams film. Lucas should have had more to do with it. Imagine if JJ worked on Ep 1 2 and 3 they would have been really good.

You guys only like it because the bar was set so low.
>>
>>64309290
This kills the thread, I guess.
>>
>>64315106
>my wife's son

>implying you have a wife
>even of you did have a wife you're obviously a cuck because she isn't your son
>>
>>64315227
The EU was never on the same canon as the films.

It was always kind of its own universe, so it was okay if they had other Jedi or Sith running around, because George Lucas cared and said "those stories are fine, but only the films are the definitive real deal here."
>>
>>64315231
>Imagine if JJ worked on Ep 1 2 and 3 they would have been really good.
Not likely, JJ has never directed anything "good"
>>
>>64313703
I think that's the Rishi Maze or whatever, it's supposed to be a dwarf galaxy near "The" Galaxy in the movie but outside of it's spiral.
>>
>>64309290
/bread/
>>
>>64315278
he isn't your son, not she, obviously
>>
>>64315278
>she isn't your son
I lol'd.
>>
>>64314262
This. No true star wars fan wanted prequels. George just realized he was a hack so he chose characters he was familiar with in his mind.
>>
>>64315192
Lol...why can't you just admit that TFA is shitty?

They had a map with literally 3-5% of the entire map missing. The Resistance could have easily searched every planet in that area for the 20+ odd years that Luke had been missing

Hell, it took them less than a day to get there! It was literally just a straight line of planet hopping to get to Luke Skywalker
>>
>>64315192
Quit trying to whisk away TFA being shit faggot. The galaxy would be mapped, if unexplored and its a stupid fucking plot
>>
>>64315076
Empire does feel like a drag a bit, but all the scenes do add up to a really strong conclusion.
>>
>>64309191
The score was ok, that's it. You can say the acting from ewan and ian were good, and while I'm sure they're fine actors, fine actors can't make a movie good if the script was terrible, which it was.
>>
Honest opinions coming through

1. Return of the Jedi
2. The Empire Strikes Back
3. A New Hope
4. Attack of the Clones
5. The Phantom Menace
6. Revenge of the Sith
7. The Force Awakens
>>
>>64315047
sick reddit post my friend
>>
>>64314473
Flash gordon WITH lightsabers
>>
>>64315307
Not even the autists at wookipedia try and say that. Stop this madness
>>
>>64315302
Yeah, but I'm saying him teamed with Lucas could have made good movies. JJ by himself lacks substance, Lucas by himself tends to fuck up editing.
>>
>>64315445

I can't make any sense of this list
>>
>>64315518
>Yeah, but I'm saying him teamed with Lucas could have made good movies
You're delusional.
>>
>>64315529
I like world building. I have a soft spot for Coruscant also
>>
>>64315396
>Trying to fit in opinions coming through
ftfy

Actual honest not desperate tryhard damage control opinions coming through
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. The Force Awakens
3. A New Hope
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. The Phantom Menace
7. Attack of the Clones

This is objective and cannot be desputed
>>
>>64315529
I can, the prequels were extremely ambitious, and fell short. TFA was completely lacking in sustance, but it had good dialogue acting and editing. Chose which type of shitty is better.
>>
>>64315606
>1. Empire Strikes Back
>2. The Force Awakens
You must be trolling.
>>
File: 1434843026305.gif (2 MB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
1434843026305.gif
2 MB, 360x360
>>64315606
>>
>>64315574
I think delusional is a little strong to call me for that. But whatever, I mean I really like Star Wars and I dislike strongly all the new movies.

>>64315606
Alright JJ, whatever you say.
>>
1. Empire
2. New Hope
3. Jedi
4. TFA
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. The Phantom Menace
7. Attack of Clones
>>
File: kylo ren collage years.jpg (181 KB, 1062x821) Image search: [Google]
kylo ren collage years.jpg
181 KB, 1062x821
VI>V>IV=III=VII>I>II
fight me
>>
>>64315418
Yeah, but that drag just wears on you, man.

If you watch it now, I guarantee you'll be doing other things once they leave Hoth. You'll be on your phone or on your computer fucking around, because that middle is so boring.

The ending is magnificent, but the movie as a whole isn't. A New Hope is a more solid film than Empire, as are other films in the series. The only reason people put Empire on such a pedestal is because they're willing to ignore its major flaws and only focus on the good stuff (that and Kevin Smith said it was the best and got the Empire love ball rolling).
>>
>>64315683
>revenge of the sith
>good
stop this meme
>>
>>64315606
I don't see how anyone can enjoy TFA when it's a mess of bad writing and gives you nothing
>>
>>64315721
I think the middle is very good world building and was necessary for the narrative. That's all really. It's cool just to see a bit of normal star wars life. It was accurate, life has lulls. I dunno m8.

You're not wrong I tend to stop paying attention, but I don't think that "boring" makes bad, I can force myself to watch that and not feel like I wasted time.
>>
>>64315748
I think it would have been cool if they chose an older male actor so that Vader could have been a mature person who made a very dramatic shift, rather than a young guy who made a rash decision but overall it was okay. 2.5/5 TFA gets the same rate in my book.
>>
>>64315780
>I tend to stop paying attention
Everyone stops paying attention. It's a bad sign when a movie can't hold the audience's attention. The fact that you have to force yourself to watch it is a bad sign.

I'm not saying that Empire is bad. Again, it's a good film. But it's far from the best in the series, and we really need to treat it for what it is and be honest about its flaws (which are huge) instead of blindly sucking its cock all the time and pretending it's the best when, in truth, it's an inferior sequel to Star Wars 77.
>>
>>64315857
TFA at least has interesting angles during dialogue scenes and the fights carry emotion instead of just pointless swinging until THE HIGH GROUND happens.
>>
>>64315857
It wouldn't have worked. At age 9, Anakin already had as much midichlorians as Yoda. At age 16 (time of Attack of the Clones), he was performing superhuman feats and people were already calling him better than Yoda.

Having him be an adult in EP3 wouldn't work

It's like wanting an adult Gohan to beat Cell...it just makes sense that it was a teenager who had to do it
>>
>>64315748
ROTS has the most supreme star wars memes
>>
>Empire is the best
Dumbass hipster meme opinions, everyone knows A New Hope is the best and will never be beaten.
>>
>>64315780
>best film
>can't even watch it all the way through without forcing yourself through it
>>
>>64315900
I still think Empire is the best and you can't stop me.
>>
>>64315910
You're not wrong, but 7 is just so shallow that it's baaaddddd. Don't get me wrong though, I think the bar was set

>>64315962
>Anakin is the most powerful jedi
>Realizes no one has anything to offer him in the Order any more
>Sidious is reveals himself to be stronger than him
>Switch sides

It could too work, maybe some other things would have been changed if that had been the plan the whole time. But, it's over and done with.

>>64316000
The first time I watched it I was stuck to the screen, but the second time thru it drags a bit, along with a lot of other great films that I love. Watching Citizen Kane a second time, for example, is hard and it's a great movie.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.