[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"They wanted to do a retro movie. I don't like that.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 211
Thread images: 26
File: 139924-george-lucas.jpg (241 KB, 950x1295) Image search: [Google]
139924-george-lucas.jpg
241 KB, 950x1295
"They wanted to do a retro movie. I don't like that. Every movie I work very hard to make them completely different, with different planets, with different spaceships, make it new."

Do you miss me yet?
>>
Fuck no. Piss off turd.
>>
>/tv/ will unironically defend FUCKING LUCAS
>>
The prequels were shit.
TFA was also shit.

/thread
>>
>>64308216

Say what you want about the prequels, but at least they tried something new. TFA is a cynical cash grab, surely you must know this?
>>
>I wanted to make a space opera
>I wanted to make a soap opera
>I wanted to make something new
>I wanted to make something that felt like the originals
>I wanted to make something for the whole family
>I wanted to make something for children

George can't make up his mind on what he wants or what SW even is
>>
>>64308163
>it's like poetry they rhyme
>I work very hard to make them completely different

Wat?
>>
>>64308191
>Not defending based Lucas
Get back to reddit pleb
>>
>>64308241

When you rhyme, you don't use the same words.
>>
that was a pretty good interview
>>
>>64308234
TFA was also much better than all three prequels. Cash grab or not, it was nostalgia for the good movies.
>>
>>64308234
>at least they tried something ne
Yeah, midichlorians, jar jar, "she died of a broken heart", etc. etc.
>>
>I sold the rights for $4bn
>w-why won't you let me interfere?
>>
>I wish that I could just, wish away my feelings!
>No... it's because I'M so in love with YOU
>From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!
>I... have seen.... a security hologram... of him... killing younglings
>If you're not with me... then you're my enemy!
>Love can't save you, Padme. Only my new powers can.
>My powers have doubled since the last time we met.
>A communications disruption can mean only one thing: invasion!
>I hate sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating, and it gets everywhere.
>You underestimate my powers!
>Only a Sith deals in absolutes!
>So are you saying that love has blinded you?

Come back George, we really miss you!
>>
>>64308262

But when you're talking about plot you have elements/themes/subplots/details/etc that are similar. For example Luke losing his hand and Anakin also losing his hand.
>>
>>64308163
JJ Abrams literally paced around in his bedroom pulling his face screaming "I DON'T KNOW HOW TO MAKE THIS MOVIE"
>>
>>64308262
Yeah, but he is talking like prequels were completely different, when they obviously mirrored OT.
>>
This seems to be overlooked by a lot of people so far, but at least George seemed to understand the comedic context of Star Wars fairly well.

TFA was far too much like a Marvel movie in its comedy. There wasn't really any subtly funny moments like Han saying "How are you?" to a guy over the radio, or the Elan Sleazebaggano scene in Clone Wars.
>>
File: 30288311.jpg (103 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
30288311.jpg
103 KB, 800x600
FROM MY POINT OF VIEW THE JEDI ARE EVIL
>>
File: JarJarTongue-BlastOff.jpg (129 KB, 640x550) Image search: [Google]
JarJarTongue-BlastOff.jpg
129 KB, 640x550
>>64308332

>George has a perfect grasp on comedic relief.
>>
you're all big guys
>>
>tfw rewatch prequels after The Reddit Awakens
>tfw George was right

I've never had such an opinion change about a movie series.
>>
>>64308337

Star wars have always been B movies. Why does everyone flip out when there is B dialogue? The funny thing is, there is no-one who didn't enjoy that dialogue, because it's campy, and hilarious.

How many memes have you guys made about Episode III alone? Yet you all claim to hate it, but you really don't hate those movies as much as you think.
>>
>>64308163
no
>>
>>64308332
>>64308317

I agree with all these posts.
>>
>>64308285
Nostalgia for a good thing=/=a good thing.

If I wanted the Original Trilogy, I'd go watch that. I don't want to show up to a new movie and be told it's the same shit with a black guy now.
>>
>it's a movie for kids, kids love jar jar
>let's put this plot about embargos, vetos, senators and whatnot
>>
>>64308332
>There wasn't really any subtly funny moments

Those NOPE stormtroopers?
>>
>>64308409
I actually like 2 and 3. 1 can go fuck itself and die.

I also think TFA is far better than 1-3, and that's not an opinion.
>>
File: s9-_obBc.jpg (32 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
s9-_obBc.jpg
32 KB, 512x512
i luv the preques
>>
>>64308191
>/tv/ will literally do a 180 and defend someone they used to shit on
>implying it matters if it's ironic or not

Hello new friend
>>
File: 1448146177128.jpg (39 KB, 374x347) Image search: [Google]
1448146177128.jpg
39 KB, 374x347
How can you praise a movie that literraly has the same script of other movie?
>>
File: jar jars escapades.webm (3 MB, 1024x435) Image search: [Google]
jar jars escapades.webm
3 MB, 1024x435
>>64308163
>>
I can understand not liking the force awakens, but to suggest that the prequels were good is absolute retardation
>>
>>64308433
As a kid at the time of the prequels, I understood what was going on: The fish Asians were being jerks, but it wasn't breaking the law so the police couldn't arrest them. Then Sheev tricked people and became president, even though he's secretly evil.

It takes a special kind of idiot to not under the very basic politics going on in the prequels.
>>
>>64308444

I just rewatched the prequel trilogy the other day and was surprised how much I enjoyed II and III. All these years I've said IV>>>III>I>II but now it's very definitely IV>III>II>I. The movies aren't really as bad as everyone makes them out to be. They are very entertaining, their only flaw is very weak dialogue, and some bits that lose the attention of the audience.
>>
>>64308383
I agree with George mostly but is there a intentionally funny moment in the prequels?
>>
>>64308409

The dialogue isn't campy, it's campy and cheesy in the originals but in the prequels it's bland and extremely literate. On top of this you have the very wooden acting, Palpatine, Samuel Jackson, and Christopher Lee were the only ones who carried some emotion.
>>
>>64308234

>implying the prequels weren't cynical cash grabs
> forgetting that bit from the making of documentary where Lucas laments the fact that the prequels won't surpass Titanic at the box office
>>
Oh I get it, pretending the prequels were good is a new meme
>>
>>64308409
The dialogue in the original Star Wars was silly, but it was coherent and made sense.
The Prequels have utterly nonsense scripting that no one really looked at or thought through.
>my point of view
>>
>>64308409
This isn't even B-Tier Dialogue
>>
>>64308291

Midichlorians aren't a problem. I'd agree if anybody could be a jedi, but it's been made clear in the OT and in the new trilogy that some people can be jedi and some people just can't, not to mention the fact that force power is clearly hereditary. So Midichlorians changes nothing other than offer an in universe explanation for something that was established in the OT: That some people are force sensitive, while others are not.
>>
>>64308475
Still better than anything in the TFA
>>
>>64308502
Obi Wan vs Anakin had lots of emotion, even though the sword fight was dumb
>>
>>64308523

Lucas is rich beyond compare and funded the prequels himself.
>>
File: sterlingblack.jpg (54 KB, 678x384) Image search: [Google]
sterlingblack.jpg
54 KB, 678x384
>>64308475
It'd be funny if it was someone in blackface
>>
>>64308527
No, pretending you hate them is the meme reddit
>>
>>64308495
>It takes a special kind of idiot to not under the very basic politics going on in the prequels.

Saw it as a kid when it came out and by the end I completely lost any idea what was going on besides that they wanted to help and train Anakin because of some prophecy. Saw it again as an adult a couple years ago and I while I was finally able to understand what was going on, Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones was a real test of patience.
>>
File: jj the sharpshooter.webm (3 MB, 1024x435) Image search: [Google]
jj the sharpshooter.webm
3 MB, 1024x435
>>64308163
>>
>>64308433

>lets avoid showing our children anything that might require them use their brain
>>
>>64308409
It blows my mind that there are people out there who are dumb enough to say things like this.
>>
It really is hilarious the depths that /tv/ will go to be contrarians.
>>
TFA was GOAT and anyone that disagrees is a faggot Disney kuck.
>>
>>64308553

Seriously kill yourself there's still time left in 2015

>>64308593

Explicitly say what you're implying here.
>>
>>64308444
TFA was literally re-skinned episode 4. It's nothing but a money grab the the jews working at disney
>>
>>64308658
Does that mean that you're a contrarian too?
>>
>>64308234

Trying something new is worthless if you do it poorly, it just comes off as throwing shit up against a wall and hoping some sticks. For all the new locations and new ships in the Prequels, almost none of it has any iconic cultural status. The Prequels have all sorts of shiny, new ships in every movie, but no equivalent of the Millennium Falcon, no equivalent of Luke's X-Wing. No one looks back fondly on Anakin's feats at Battle of Naboo, they shudder at the memory. Wuher's Cantina is legendary, Dexter's Diner is a memetic joke.

> TFA is a cynical cash grab, surely you must know this?

But there's no cynicism in it at all, it's very (even surprisingly) genuine in its storytelling. Cash grab is a worthless criticism, it's a major motion picture, they're all made to make money. It's a business first and foremost (and the movies made to be "art" are trashed as "Oscar bait").
>>
>>64308693
>it's very (even surprisingly) genuine in its storytelling.
>TFA

3/10
You had me going there for a second.
>>
>>64308668

Lucas doesn't need money. He created the prequel trilogy for the fans and because he wanted to finish his vision for the series.

If he wasn't true to his vision, he would have bowed under fan pressure and stopped changing his films and removing elements people didn't like from future prequel movies, but he didn't. He stuck to his guns, he is truly the last auteur of the film industry, and his self-exile shows that the film industry is truly finished. Nothing but mass produced, make everyone happy dull action movies filled with quips, is all we will see in the years to come. Hope you like the Avengers formula, because that's all we're going to get.
>>
>>64308693

Lucas creates amazing worlds, look at all the side content and EU produced around the clone wars and the prequel universe? It's superior to the EU of the OT and the new EU they have created around TFA.
>>
i predicted this turd of a board would be praising the prequels and bashing TFA no matter how good the movie was

you are just a bunch of predictable irrational contrarians, it drains my patience just reading the retarded opinions spewed here
>>
OK

HOL UP

HOLD UP.

I'M HERE TO DROP A BOMB.

A LOGIC BOMB.

>PEOPLE CAN DIE OF A BROKEN HEART

YES! THIS IS A THING.

YOU'RE WELCOME.

GOODBYE
>>
>JJ
>creates literally a copy of tatooine

>Lucas
>creates new planets, whole clone facility planets, wookie planets
>>
FUCK OFFFFFFFF YOU SHITTY CONTRARIANSSSSSSSSS! TFA WAS GOOD, THE PREQUELS WERE GARBAGEEEEE BLOW IT OUT YOUR ASSSS
>>
>>64308495
>The taxation of trade route to outlying star systems is in dispute.
What were they disputing about?
>>
>>64308814
Underrated
>>
>>64308787
Do like what i'm about to do: leave

/tv/ has been a shitty board since Cloverfield anyways
>>
>>64308806
filtered
>>
File: lucas.jpg (62 KB, 294x415) Image search: [Google]
lucas.jpg
62 KB, 294x415
>>64308783
>Lucas creates amazing worlds, look at all the side content and EU produced around the clone wars and the prequel universe? It's superior to the EU of the OT and the new EU they have created around TFA.
This.

>That tone towards the end of the interview

I-i... I'm sorry George.

>tfw hes right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8hQVlRgFlU

>his attention to world building
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7ZW1gtCljs
>>
>>64308501
"Negotiations were short" i guess
>>
>>64308737
>>64308737
Fucking this.

People love to shit on Lucas but everything he did was for fans (though I do hate how he treated the video-game side of LucasArts.

See
>>64308881

>is 70
>afraid of making more movies cause he needs 10 years and thinks he wont live that long
>>
>>64308881
>tfw the sequel trilogy will have no pottery
It's not even starwars anymore, come back George
>>
>>64308737

Who said anything about Lucas wanting more money? He was upset about Titanic because he didn't want to LOSE to Titanic. He is entirely motivated and driven by EGO.
>>
>>64309008

Lucas has been talking about making a prequel trilogy since 1980 when he attached "Episode IV: A New Hope" to Star Wars.
>>
>>64308831
The dispute is "Here's some made up pretext for our invasion because we want to take over your planet for our own gain, without realise we are pawns Sheev is using to take control himself."

The actual legal reasons don't matter, the Fish Asians were clearly just trying to take over by any means necessary. If they actually wanted to settle a dispute, they wouldn't show up with a droid army and try to murder the third party negotiators.
>>
>they wanted to do a movie that actually embraced what made the original trilogy good, instead of making a bright CGIfest like my prequels

lel. No wonder you're fucking shit, Lucas.
>>
>>64308927
He updated the original trilogy with almost universally reviled changes for selfish, egotistical reasons. Stop putting him on a pedastal
>>
>>64308163
>Do you miss me yet?
lol no
>>
File: pepematrix.gif (607 KB, 800x792) Image search: [Google]
pepematrix.gif
607 KB, 800x792
>>64309043
>Mfw redditors actually think TFA is better than ROTS
>>
>>64309043
It was his way of making the best possible film that he can.
>>
File: T7kpVGN.jpg (99 KB, 664x704) Image search: [Google]
T7kpVGN.jpg
99 KB, 664x704
>>64308332
>BB-8 thumbs up / flipping off Finn
>Stormtroopers turning around during Kylo's angsty tantrum
>"The droid... stole a freighter?"
>"Talk my way out of it, like I always do".
This is all subtle-ish OT style humour. Prequel humour (which George was solely in charge of) is embodied in this golliwog from outer space.
>>
>>64309043
Yeah, the things that made the original trilogy good like inventive new worlds... I mean, cool designs for starships... I mean, satisfying fight scenes, memorable villains, and character arcs where a farm boy tries, fails, learns and grows into a hero...
>>
>>64309065
>selfish, egotistical reasons.

You mean staying true to his vision, like an AUTEUR?

His only flaw is refusing to release the original version remasterd in high quality, but you can still find them easily on DVD, in laser disc quality.
>>
>>64309103

>calls others reddit
>uses le reddit frog in his post

pottery
>>
>>64309103

FROM MY POINT OF VIEW YOUR OPINION IS EVIL
>>
>>64308291
What's wrong with Jar Jar?
>>
>>64308502
After rewatching both the originals and prequels, I realized just how much Harrison Ford's movie star presence and charisma brought to the table. That's something the prequels were severely lacking.
>>
File: goose.jpg (23 KB, 498x498) Image search: [Google]
goose.jpg
23 KB, 498x498
>>64309134
>He first saw Pepe on reddit
I guess its better than seeing him first on Facebook...
>>
>>64309128
The stormtrooper bit was good, but the thumbs-up was some low-tier humour, and while 'talk my way out' would have been a good line knowing Han they hammed that bit too long and took the cleverness out of the joke.
>>
>>64309030

AFTER the massive success of A New Hope and Empire Strikes back. Don't be naive, he's a smart business man.

>>64309132

> he doesn't know about the legal drama between Lucas and his ex wife, one of the editors of a new hope
>>
>>64308285

'no'
>>
>>64308163
Yes, but not when given free reign
>>
>>64309214
> he doesn't know about the legal drama between Lucas and his ex wife, one of the editors of a new hope

I know about it, and it's bullshit.

Also, why are women so good at editing.
>>
>>64309176
I thought Han's reaction to finding out that Finn worked in sanitation was pretty great.
>>
>>64309134
Dumb 2015 poster
>>
>>64308285
No it wasn't. It was a poor copy of New Hope. All high energy and no substance.
>>
>>64309252
>Also, why are women so good at editing.
As stereotypical as it sounds - but I speak from experience. For many smart women, though they may struggle creatively - they have a knack for looking at something and knowing if it will appeal/look good in terms of fashion, story, market. Etc.

In a nutshell while it may be hard for them to come with an idea - they can critique and edit one well.

Applies to many people however
>>
>>64309043
>they wanted to do a movie that would be as "Star Wars" as possible, instead of making anything new so they could cash in
fixed for you
>>
>>64308881
>Every 10 years the chances go lower

W-what are we going to do when Lucas goes /tv/? ;_;
>>
>>64309284
Ford can still act for sure. He carried some lousy dialogue in the OT (mostly by inventing his own stuff) and he did pretty good in this one as well.
>>
HEY, LEGALFAGS HELP ME OUT

Can George make his own Episode 7 rendition as long as he renames the characters slightly?

E.g. San Holo, Suke Lightwalker etc.
>>
>>64309134
how new are you fucking retard?
>>
>>64308312
>I hate sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating, and it gets everywhere.

I don't mind this line
>>
>>64308881
>Lucas gave up
>Lucas saw the bland, soulless nostalgia pandering monstrosity coming and did nothing
As guilty as Disney desu senpai
>>
>>64309387

What do you think?

>>64309319

This. The editors I knew from school tend to lean towards women.
>>
>>64309381
Yeah it's no surprise that he was the one that became a big star out of the original cast despite being ten years older.
>>
>>64308285
TFA had such bad diaglouge the music had to be louder than most movies just to fill in the gaps. The music was shit too. Can anyone hum Kylo Ren's theme music? Or Rey's? Or even the boring music that took up 90% of total music time? Shit for the 30% of screen time spent watching characters run toward the screen too. Movie was DOODOO!
>>
>>64309453

I think he can. If he calls it Wtar Sars
>>
>>64308313

The problem isn't that they're similar, the problem is that they're SO similar
>>
>>64309483
Are these those small experimental films he makes for his family and friends?

>>64309477

Genuinely sounds like there was an audio issue with your screening, since I didnt have a hard time hearing the dialogue.

The music was sub par though
>>
File: SleepySheev.png (169 KB, 590x369) Image search: [Google]
SleepySheev.png
169 KB, 590x369
>>64308184
>>64308191
>>64308455
>>64308493
>>64308527
>>64308818
I told you it would come to this. I was right. The Redditors are taking over!!
>>
>>64309537
I saw it in 2 different states at 3 different theaters. The music was louder than usual. And yes I did take a vacation to see it. Get over it
>>
>>64309521
TFA borrows the from the whole OT trilogy, people just don't realize it because its the first of three so they naturally compare it most to a New Hope and The Phantom Menace
>>
>>64308191

>not defending based George "Steel Forge" Lucas against the Jews

>>64308237

implying any of these contradict one another
>>
>>64309387
Yeah, let's get Lucas to finally make the movie he wants! :) he's a genius! Let's get Darth Icky!
>>
>>64309596
> implying Lucas isn't the biggest jew of them all

wew lad
>>
>>64308783
>Lucas creates amazing worlds, look at all the side content and EU

think for a moment what you just said. What about those were created by Lucas? Lucas created an amazing world in the first Star Wars - you really feel like it's a real place with real history and real, if unseen, locations just by watching the movie. On Tatooine you get a sense that there's a real world going on with just a few lines - hints of places where teenagers hang out and villages you can get a ride to what passes for the big city in. Can you say that about the Prequels? Does Theed feel like as real a place as Mos Eisley? Does Coruscant? Lucas's lauded world building was a total failure in the Prequels, no matter how many new worlds he threw into the mix.
>>
>>64309600
>Let's get Darth Icky

That was a joke, faggot

>being this humor impaired
>>
>>64309692
>Can you say that about the Prequels? Does Theed feel like as real a place as Mos Eisley?
Err yes?

The bar scene in Corsucant with Obi Wan was great - Naboo was absolutely beautiful. Even Geonosis was okay. Mustafar also captured the nature of the droids being forged on a lava-based world.
>>
File: 1359406807421.png (12 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1359406807421.png
12 KB, 500x500
>>64309741
>Corsucant
Coruscant* fuck i'm tired
>>
I miss George

Say what you want but he's important
>>
>>64309692
>Does Theed feel like as real a place as Mos Eisley?

yeah?
>>
>>64308327
That's not easy to mirror things correctly you know and George did it great.
>>
>>64308234
>cynical

Sure that's the word you're going for? If so, wanna explain how it applies?
>>
>>64308163
>tfw no planet will be cool and comfy as Kamino.
>>
File: vader.jpg (79 KB, 736x557) Image search: [Google]
vader.jpg
79 KB, 736x557
Does anyone else feel that the score in TFA was terrible? What happened to John Williams? I can barely remember a single scene with a good theme compared to the OT and the Prequels

>examples
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nk_WHHTQtY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIl7-rDOuTM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQjXeMBRt50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qWGLgrD6MM
List goes on.
>>
>>64309741
>>64309809

Did Jakku not feel real? Naboo was basically forest world with a neat but generic city, Coruscant is basic generic Capital city, and whats worst is that it was missing some if the classic alien designs to expand the world.

>>64309828

No he did not.

The conveyor belt scene work for you in AotC?
>>
>>64309953

The score in TFA is god awful, it actually stood out to me watching the film. Even the title theme sounds, wrong.

The only reason TFA is listenable is because it relies so heavily on remixes of the original themes.
>>
>>64309953
Do you read other posts before posting?
>>
>>64309967
>Did Jakku not feel real?

Not really. If you want to throw around the word 'generic', then Jakku felt like a retread of Tatooine with less substance. It didn't feel like a living world, even at that little market. The only thing there with a speck of character was the dick behind the counter.
>>
>>64309967
>Did Jakku not feel real?
Sure, deserts seem pretty fucking real I guess aside from 1 random settlement. Tattooine was a fuckton better.
>>
\>>64309997
Theres been a lot of shitposting senpai.

>>64309477
hits it on the head though
>>
>>64309387
Well, his version would be so shitty it could pass as a parody and fall under fair use
>>
>>64310040
Sadly, the vendor was the only new character that had any depth
>>
>>64309357
Rejoice
>>
>>64310073
True lol. You ain't the onliest one who thinks it isn't good though, Kudos
>>
>>64309953
Lucas knew how to get the best out of him.

Williams couldn't get inspired by a soulless cooperation
>>
Wish he would just shut the fuck up tbqh. You decided to sell it, you got your money, just shut up you fuck
>>
>>64310076
Is that an insult, master anon?
>>
File: wtf HOW HORRIFYING.jpg (31 KB, 408x408) Image search: [Google]
wtf HOW HORRIFYING.jpg
31 KB, 408x408
TFA is a ok rehash or the OT with worst scene,score and characters but /tv/ acts like Lucas could make something as great as the OT againt.its sad that they didnt let him direct a new trilogy but they should have at least picked some of his ideas.hes hit and miss but when he misses its terrible and people who are defending the prequels should at least acknowledge that.
>>
File: r2dog.gif (2 MB, 288x250) Image search: [Google]
r2dog.gif
2 MB, 288x250
George = R2
Guys = Disney and JJ
Dog = SW Audience
>>
>>64310165
He did it on purpose. He gave us the tune the movie radiated naturally: repatition, unoriginality, vagueness. Etc. Hahaha. There was no build up to intense bombastic memorable music because there was no visual accompaniment
>>
>>64308285
this
>>
>>64310040

That was sort of the point of what I said. Not sure what Jakku did aby different from the prequels, except focus more ont he characters and the first order than PM did.

>>64310085

What
>>
>>64310200

George has great ideas but terrible execution.

They should have followed Georges ideas, and hired a competent director and screenwriter to fix it up, it would have been even better than the OT.

But Disney only cares about pandering to nostalgia and replicating the success of the Avengers.
>>
>>64308163
>different planets
>Kept reusing tattooine
>>
>>64310229

Literally this. I came here to post this
>>
>>64310284
I love you.
>>
>>64308312
is George autistic?
>>
>>64308332
>sleazebaggano
>subtlety
I never thought id see the day
>>
>>64309967
>Coruscant is basic generic Capital city
It can't be generic, because it's the source. Other things that copied can be considered generic
>>
File: 1445550312369.jpg (50 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
1445550312369.jpg
50 KB, 400x388
>>64308237
This TTTT (To Tell The Truth) BSDM (Brother Sister Dad Mom)
>>
>>64308693
>Cash grab is a worthless criticism

I'm not a big fan of the PT, but you have to be blind and dumb not to see how much more of a commercial exercise TFA is than the other 6 movies and many other blockbusters. Smart business people sitting around a conference table carefully developed this movie like a business plan, to an obviously greater extent than most movies.

If you haven't figure that out, you're a mindless consumer plebeian who deserves to be fleeced of $12 for pretty much nothing.
>>
>>64310200
I wish he would make something as good as American graffiti again. Star wars being saved in editing was the worst thing to happen to him.
>>
>>64308648
Interesting to see how this one shot of jar jars foot and the droid's upper body isn't made with cgi
>>
>>64310376
I've noticed that the people I have met who actually enjoyed it aren't exactly known for their thinking skills or observation skills or intellect.
>>
>>64310376
TPM was an absolutely textbook cashgrab, dunno how you can even argue that.
>>
>>64309565
Advanced shitposting friend
>>
Lucas at least had visions, a creative mind, lack in directional skills was his only weakness.
But when you're surrounded by "yes people" that would suck his dick for a piece of the Lucas gold.

The job he and his crew did in the prequels was revolutionary. He practically invented the heavy use of CGI which helped create the great worlds we can watch and enjoy.

Either way have a great new year and by all means continue hating everything you piece of shits.
>>
>>64310517
Disney is involved. Its sole purpose was to make money and make the viewer feel insulted
>>
>>64310569
>He practically invented the heavy use of CGI which helped create the great worlds we can watch and enjoy.
Eh, LotR was happening at the same time and also featured heavy CGI use
>>
>>64310252
Lucas probably had terrible ideas those, its entirely possible they didn't want to make a soap opera in space but rather a sci fi fantasy space adventure movie
>>
File: 1449930235268.jpg (85 KB, 500x675) Image search: [Google]
1449930235268.jpg
85 KB, 500x675
>Whining about wanting Lucas back
>Not a single mention of his god awful "additions" to the OT and the fact we're never getting a blu-ray of the unaltered cuts
The PT was a train wreck of wasted potential, you should be happy he was booted off before he went full Old Yeller
>>
>>64310936
>implying Disney won't sell the theatrical cuts

You know damn well in a couple of years we're going to get a boxed set of the OT 'for the first time as seen in theatres, along with a version of blu-ray quality.'.

It'll be $400 and packaged with the new trilogy
>>
>>64310623
Lotr didn't use large scale CGI to create it's environment. LoTR used as little as possible. Basically built the shire and the villages.
>>
I agree with you George but you did this to yourself

You couldve had all those things and not been shit. TPM was a big hit, but people knew you dropped the ball with the writing and overall plotting so when AOTC or ROTS came out, by the box office numbers and general public perception the star wars brand was hurt.

You couldve made unique movies and still made them good.

You couldve also, ya know, NOT FUCKING SOLD YOUR FRANCHISE THEN BITCH ABOUT IT
>>
>>64310623
youre wrong there was a healthy balance

Hobbit BOFTA is a better comparison of how much the prequels used it compared to LOTR
>>
>>64311062

They can't since 20th Century still has partial ownership of ANH so I honestly wouldn't count on it in the near future
>>
File: lucas.webm (840 KB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
lucas.webm
840 KB, 854x480
stay safe george
>>
why does /r/Cuckold hate the prequels so much?
>>
>>64311391
> reddit doesn't love the prequels

Keep dreaming faggot
>>
>>64308475
>>
>>64311431
how would you know what reddit loves unless you browsed reddit yourself?
>>
>>64308312
>...Do I talk first or you talk first? I talk first?

I fucking balked at this line 5 minutes into the movie

This trash was worst than ST09, this was a fucking Marvel-tier quip

I get being a flippant space scoundrel or whatever, people probably thought he was like the new Han Solo, but nobody fucking shit-talked Vader to his face like that, the new Villain hasn't been on the screen for ten fucking minutes and already people are literally laughing at him

Kylo Ren had about as much threat as General Grievance or fucking Ultron
>>
>>64310569
>>64310623
>>64311124
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL6hp8BKB24

What do you guys think of this?
>>
>>64311239
>You couldve also, ya know, NOT FUCKING SOLD YOUR FRANCHISE THEN BITCH ABOUT IT

>too old to make more
>please fans and allow others to make your brand
>or leave it dead forever

What choice would you make senpai
>>
>>64311537
> he hasn't gone to reddit at least once to confirm his suspicions about the place
>>
>>64311473
The final shot of the Toyota going down the street made me burst out laughing for some reason.
>>
>>64311559
Yeah, I wish they had gone the route of making Kylo threatening, but then people would complain of Vader 2.0. I wish they hinted at a weakness instead of doing lol, Mary Sue Rey will defeat the big villain at the end. Too much nostalgia
>>
Anyone has the webm of Lucas explaining how Jar Jar should walk?
>>
>>64308693
>TFA
>genuine in its storytelling
Please. It's just as hollow as the prequels. Of course it's likely that references and allusions to the original movies were intended as enthusiastic callbacks, but the result comes across as insincere and gestural. And that's to say nothing about the actual pacing of the movie which emphasizes dull action scenes with little tension.
>>
>>64311792
Nah
>>
>>64311900
Yep.
>>
>>64308787
>no matter how good the movie was
but TFA is 12 persecs far from being good
>>
>>64311983
Dubs BTFO singles, sorry kid better luck next time
>>
>>64308495
>It takes a special kind of idiot to not under the very basic politics going on in the prequels.
That's just it though. The basics behind the politics are so simple that it's mind boggling that Lucas decided to focus so much time on it. He did such a bad job with it that when you actually follow all of the details of the politics you realize it's poorly written and doesn't actually make sense even though you still understand the basic point behind all of it.

So much time could have been saved if they had left the politics in the background and just mentioned what was going on instead of dropping us right into the middle of the freaking galactic senate and expecting us to care.
>>
>>64312019
But '83 was the last time a decent Star Wars movie was released.

I win.
>>
>>64311596

He creates a strawman in the first 30 seconds to argue against. Nobody is saying the mere fact that a movie uses CGI ruins it, it's when a movie completely relies on CGI and uses it as a crutch in place of writing, cinematography, tension, etc.
>>
>>64311716
>Yeah, I wish they had gone the route of making Kylo threatening, but then people would complain of Vader 2.0

People are already complaining about Vader 2.0, that's literally Ren's entire motivation

JJ just fucking fails in pulling it off and within ten minutes the best candidate for being a legitimate threat is ruined

Darth Vader 2.0 gets sent to the burn ward by Poe's Marvel-tier Quips in the first five minutes
Boba Fett 2.0 does nothing more intimidating than recommending Finn be sent for reconditioning before getting fucking tackled by a wookie and then being thrown into the garbage compactor of an exploding planet
The Emperor 2.0 is a bad CGI Wizard of Oz hologram who we never even see
the only decent Imperial Character was Tarkin 2.0 who ends up a screaming ginger Joseph Goebbles caricature two thirds in

The entire film managed to prevent me from feeling anything but the sensation that I was watching a series of changing scenes stitched together in which events were taking place
>>
>>64308312
I fucking love George. Those are all golden lines.
>>
Well new obviously means better.

Thanks for the memo, reddit.
>>
>>64308163
>"They wanted to do a Dexter Jetser Diner movie. I don't like that. Every movie I work very hard to make them completely different, with different Tatooines with different clonetroopers, make it new."
>>
>>64309967
not anyone youre tlaking to but my impressions of jakku was like.. 3 or 4 really bad practical models on sand, and 1 sand area with looked like a tent and a shack with tons of CGI covering it up

didnt feel like a lived in massive world

i remember the desert planet in prequels felt lived in and the market was full of people

the direction of the movie showed this
while the direction in TFA looked like zoomed in at 1 very specific crowded tent, and like thats it. the rest were shots of the bad practicel models with cgi person, and then a couple scenes of walking in the desert

the original star wars felt lived in because it was a farm and they had to travel a long way to do this or that, and when they arrived there were people living there, the sand people, the jawas, the cantina

but like TFA the dude just walks from a crash and stumbles into the 1 crowded tent in the world, and then leaves the planet immediately after
>>
File: 1339765344256.png (8 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1339765344256.png
8 KB, 400x400
>>64308163
>it's a "the prequels weren't terrible meme" episode
>>
>>64308163
>that hairline
what an obvious hair transplant
>>
>>64310429
yes, i remember in the theater watching this and thinking the transition was so jarring from CGI to live shot back to CGI.
>>
>>64308664
>TFA was GOAT
a crappy remake of New Hope can not be the greatest of anything
>>
File: WHY.jpg (47 KB, 288x499) Image search: [Google]
WHY.jpg
47 KB, 288x499
>>64308163
>/tv/ unironically defending fatfuck Lucas
>>
File: naboo2004.jpg (83 KB, 700x301) Image search: [Google]
naboo2004.jpg
83 KB, 700x301
>>64310108
WESA FREEEE
>>
>>64313457
they could have easilly just built a model of the palace and CGI'd the crowd in.
at least then it would look a fuck shit tone better.
>>
>i just wanted to make children's movies
yes George, we get it. however this woe is me, everyone hates me thats why i sold star wars attitude is bullshit.

30 fucking years ago you should have realized the movies you made attracted a specific and exact demographic. YOU fucked up by telling that demographic to go fuck itself and then tried to turn the franchise into something it couldn't be.
you should have realized this and either stopped with the OT, or got over your own hubris and made movies that the star wars demographic wanted you to make.

instead you opted to force something that wasn't wanted and now you're acting all butt hurt over it?
>>
File: laughing jeff bridges.jpg (23 KB, 257x276) Image search: [Google]
laughing jeff bridges.jpg
23 KB, 257x276
>>64313625
>Tells us it's a children's movie
>Makes it about space taxes and the main character a genocidal paraplegic burns victim who kills children
>>
File: XMaQMGz.jpg (123 KB, 851x400) Image search: [Google]
XMaQMGz.jpg
123 KB, 851x400
hey /reddit/ does anyone have that webm of George Lucas throwing some kid out of a meeting or something? It was some skinny beta looking kid
>>
>>64313715
I like how he said it was a soap opera before but now apparently it's been all about new spaceship designs
>>
>>64313453
he dindu nuffin.
>>
>>64311559
>>64312765
>Marvel-tier
What does this mean?
>>
>>64311559

>nobody shit talked Vader to his face

>Leia: "Darth Vader, I thought I smelled your foul stench on board" and something about him being Tarkin's bitch boy

>Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not given you clairvoyance to conjure up the stolen plans

Literally 15 minutes into the movie
>>
>>64314035
>Tarkin's bitch boy
well to be fair Tarkin was the swinging dick on the death star.
the command structure on the DS is no different from any other military base commander.
whoever is in command of the facility is the ultimate authority and cannot be questioned. (except by the emperor of course)

Essentially Vader was nothing more than a guest on the station which is why Tarkin could boss him around the way he did.

similar to a Naval captain. No one except the president (and even that can be a grey area when the ship is underway) can tell the captain whats what.
>>
>>64308163
He is right about one thing. Disney played safe.
But, looking at prequels, doing something diffrent isn't really a way to go.
>>
>>64312141
He's got you there.
Thread replies: 211
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.