[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: /tv/ fixes SW:TFA >Finn is no longer a First Order
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5
File: jjabrams.jpg (200 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
jjabrams.jpg
200 KB, 1600x1067
ITT:

/tv/ fixes SW:TFA

>Finn is no longer a First Order stormtrooper honed from early childhood to be the ultimate soldier serving with an elite squadron, he's a deadbeat who enlisted into a much less prestigious unit who defects more out of opportunism than anything else.

>Finn's early character arc as it stands is a major plothole. It's bizarre that having been trained for maybe two decades the First Order hasn't been able to figure out this guy has no stomach for battle. And the fact that his character arc *also* includes several classic components of the 'hero's journey' means he and Rey jostle awkwardly for the lead role.

>For most of the film he's more or less comic relief, which is fine except for the fact that he's forced to juggle weightier matter as well. In a 'hero's journey' popcorn flick the character archetypes should be better delineated.
>>
>>64306218
BUMPING YOUR OWN THREAD DOESN'T DO ANYTHING ANYMORE YOU AUTISTIC FAGGOT.
>>
File: plinkett.jpg (203 KB, 1039x792) Image search: [Google]
plinkett.jpg
203 KB, 1039x792
Answer me this, lovelies: Who is the main character of TFA?
>>
>>64305701
>it's made by George Lucas

/thread
>>
>>64307528
Rey. You didn't notice?

>>64307570
So we like George Lucas now?
>>
>>64307528
It's Rey you fucking sperg
>>
>>64305701

So >fixing the film entails

>give the nigger less development
>make the nigger more two-dimensional

bravo

How about starting with "coming up with something that isn't ANH"
>>
>>64305701
Han dies in a more heroic way. Have Han, Chewy, Poe, and Luke (Yes put Luke in a fucking X-wing) lead the battle. Some ships manage to get through the shields before the shield is turned on. Falcon is one of those ships. Falcon is the last ship standing, shot to shit. Han realizes the only chance he has to save his friends is to crash his ship into the target. Luke is screaming at him not to do it. He tells him, "It's okay Luke, It's okay."
Leia comes on the com and says, "Han, I love you." he replies, "I know, I love you."
Han looks over at Chewy, smiles. Chewy smiles back, and lets out a Wookie roar and they crash their ship into the target. Save everyone.
>>
File: oM8MuGC.png (358 KB, 1000x880) Image search: [Google]
oM8MuGC.png
358 KB, 1000x880
>>64305701
That was his first mission. He worked sanitation before. Most of the Storm troopers were at Star-Killer Base so Ren and Phasma just used whoever was available for a relatively easy mission. All they had to was waltz into the village and shoot shit up. Makes sense why Finn's first mission would be an easy one.
>>
Make Star Wars into anime/dbz. Super Jedi power ups achieved. Luke can now create worm holes with his mind.
>>
>>64307688

>turn Han into a suicide bomber

I don't think that would really go down very well in the current political climate
>>
>>64305701
Also: why does everyone in the Resistance blindly trust a fresh defector from their prime enemy?
>>
>>64307845
>turn Han into a suicide bomber

You're a fucking moron if that's how you took/interpreted my post.

Han is a brilliant Star Wars character because he evolved. He evolved from a arrogant scoundrel, to a loyal friend, to a rebel general, to a selfless hero. His death was more deserving of this evolution, he deserved a heroes death. That would have been more keen to the Space Opera theme.
>>
>>64307905
Bad writing
>>
>>64305701
/tv/ was determined to hate TFA no matter what it was, trying to come up with a situation where you like it is impossible.
>>
>>64307952
>/tv/ was determined to hate TFA no matter what it was

That is just blatantly untrue. /tv/ has littered the board with reasons (often numbered for logical structure) for what TFA was not good. YOU ignore all that because YOU are the one that blindly follows the "fun" bullshit. Shit can be good and fun, but somehow, the lowest common denominator thinks otherwise.
>>
>>64308010
Haha no. /tv/ takes a good movie with flaws and nitpicks it into oblivion.

Don't be a retard, /tv/ was never going to like a Star Wars sequel. Why do you blindly follow /tv/?
>>
I'll focus on fixing Finn and Rey, and how they elvolve troughout the story.

Finn is a loyal stormtrooper, but he unknowingly helped Poe escape (like Poe got help from the inside by a Resistance agent), and he's labelled as a traitor by the First Order. He's then forced to cooperate with people he thinks as traitors to the galaxy (Poe, Rey, Han), mirroring his own experience as a percieved traitor.
His whole story is trying to decieve Rey in order to gain the Resistance trust and betray them to earn back his return in the First Order, but as the story progress he understands that there is a different perspective that what the First Order fed him since he was a kid. In the end he grows attached to Rey and Han while the First Order only taught him about respect and authority. He understands he's been on the wrong side all along, and this climax when he finally reveals to Han the codes to disactivate the shields, which he knew all along.

With Rey it's kind of the same thing. She's been left alone for a long time, and she grew up a bit selfish and distrustful, which are mandatory traits on a planet such as Tat- Jakku in order to survive.
When she get offered rations for BB8, instead of flat-out refusing, she tries to bargain for more (which is met with refusal). She doesn't trust Han (why would she?), and doesn't care all that much for Finn when he says he want to leave.
She appears much more cold, and the only time she really opens up is when leaving Finn at the Resistance's base at the end, because she understood that opening yourself and trusting others could be a strenght, and not a weakness.

As for the details, I would have make Rey lose the fight against Kylo, have Phasma kick Finn's ass instead of TR-8R, ditch Poe and Finn forced bromance, and have this weird Han's freighter scene replaced by a scene of character development. An exposition scene about the state of the galaxy between First Order, Republic, Resistance etc would have been nice too.
>>
>>64307952
TELL THAT TO THA KANJAKLOB
>>
>>64308353
This is good
>>
Make Starkiller wiping out a system actually have an impact

Did anyone in the movie even give a shit? Certainly didn't seem like it.
>>
>>64308353
good ideas annon
share some more if you have them
>>
>>64308353
Why didn't you work on this movie you asshole?
>>
>>64308353
>ditch bromance

Somebody missed the lip-bite. Poe wants to fuck Finn, but Finn wants to fuck Rey. Semi-Gay love triangle is ON.
>>
>>64307528
Rey, 10m of rewrite and the other characters would be 100% superfluous to the plot.
>>
>>64307528
>>64307608
>>64307621

>Rey

Was that that characterless girl who was better at everything than everyone?

You know, I don't think she even passes the Qui-Gon Jinn test
Seriously, if someone asked me to describe her character using single words I'd be stuck at "competent"
>>
>>64308957
I would have said hyper-competent, personally
>>
>>64308957
this
>>
File: 2482849824.jpg (168 KB, 538x724) Image search: [Google]
2482849824.jpg
168 KB, 538x724
>>64308010
>thinking /tv/ was ever going to say "hey, this film is really great"

Don't be a fool. Hating TFA and the insurge of pro-prequel threads is exactly what was going to happen in every scenario.
>>
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>64308957

She's not suitable as an audience self-insert. There's no personal challenge that she rises to; she leave her shitty home "by accident", is immediately able to cope with steeply escalating threats until by the end of the movie she's whipped the main villain's ass. I can't see much about her personality for people to relate to.
>>
>>64307798
Is no one bothered by Star-Killer Base devouring the "Sun" rather than a "Star"? It seemed really off to me.
>>
>>64308353

Love your ideas man.

What was the point of Kylo losing to Rey btw?
>>
>>64309190
>devouring the "Sun" rather than a "Star"
I'm a bit slow. Could you explain the difference so I don't have to google. And if there is a difference, what does it matter? (unless you're going say something related to how the planets in Starkiller's Solar system would not survive a second once the energy of the sun is removed)
>>
>>64308957
That "Qui gon jinn" test is a completely useless and arbitrary as a way of criticising a character
>>
I'm being completely serious here: bring Sheev back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve1889zS030

Go with the clone bodies thing from the old EU, make something new up, whatever. In the original trilogy and the prequels, he's a joy to watch whenever he's on screen.
>>
>>64309190
This is for perspective, if they said star it could mean any one of them, you wouldn't know the distance.

Using sun puts it in local terms, the thing is devouring what it orbits and gets light from.
>>
>>64309286
Kind of like the Bechdel test, then.

Did you know that originated in a college newspaper comic strip the creator worked on in her spare time, and was never in fact meant to be taken seriously? Now you do.
>>
>>64308842
Cause I'm not a hack so nobody asked me

>>64308804
There isn't much really.
Little things like not exposing Snoke, but rather have evil ginger and Kylo speaking to a shadow in the dark, and not having Han and Leia talking about him.
Chewbacca going crazy and tearing stormtrooper appart with his bear hands instead of just shooting them as usual.
Having something a little different than the Death Star all over again..

Overall this movie was fine, but unimatinative, expected and somehow cheap..
>>
>>64307688
T H I S
H
I
S
>>
ITT dumb niggers asking for fan service and for more rehashing
>put luke in an x wing

>bring back sheev clones
TFA has some pretty big issues (luke skywalkers entire character arc is basically ruined, another death star, universe has yet to move forward, maRey Sue) but lets stop making even shittier suggestions boys
>>
>>64309283
I assume he meant that the Sun is just the name of our star.
People outside our solar system wouldn't call it thay way.
>>
>>64308957
This. Rey is a shit. The rest of the characters werent perfect but id still say they were pretty good. Reys use of force techniques like mind reading, mind trick, and telekenesis were the only major problems I had with the movie.
>>
>>64307688
Shit like this is retarded.

While the movie has flaws Han's death and Kylo Ren are not one of them. Think about it:

Han (and Chewie for that matter) are legends who can handle anything. Fighting in wars, smuggling, they always get out of it one way or another and save the day. At this point it's easy for them. I'm glad that the movie showed that- we already had one trilogy where they save the day- twice- and in this movie they're shown easily finishing "the mission" of setting explosives and blowing up the base. It's just another day at the office. Do you faggots really want Solo's death to be blowing up THE THIRD DEATH STAR? The shoe horned in bullshit that they already beat twice before? No. No you do not.

The great thing about his death is that they won. They were done with the mission and ready to go home, but instead he announces himself to try and save his son. Much better than some bs suicide bombing.
>>
>>64309719
>Expecting /tv/ to have good ideas
>>
>>64308957
But she literally has the same shit going at the start of the movie that Luke does.

>bored and innocent
>has a job doing something pointless on a pointless world
>aspires for something greater that she barely understands
>mistrusting of people
>fights for the little guy
>warms up to new friends quickly
>intuitive

These are all character traits. Not great ones, but they're not Mary Sue traits either. Face it: she's a developing character.
>>
>>64309747
what are your criticism of >>64308353
>>
/tv/ and the tumblr crowd that infect /tv/ won't like this solution but its obvious

Get rid of Rey or underpower her to the point where she is just the love interest...Finn is the jedi at the end. Movie is 100x better. Finn was the real hero's journey character/audience stand-in anyways as OP pointed out but he's a fag who wants to make him uninteresting.
>>
File: into the trash.png (434 KB, 427x641) Image search: [Google]
into the trash.png
434 KB, 427x641
>>64305701
>honed from early childhood to be the ultimate soldier

He was literally a trashman
>>
>>64305701
The novelization gives Finn some backstory, though. Mentions that he was top of the class and basically the pride and joy of Phasma. But his one failing was that, unlike other Stormtroopers, he actually gave a shit about the units more than the mission.

The trooper that dies at the start of the movie was apparently his closest friend who was a terrible soldier but dedicated to the battle. Finn realized in that moment (and had apparently been building up to this beforehand) that the First Order didn't place value on the individuals so long as the mission was completed. That's Finn's conflict. He doesn't agree that the ends justify the means. That's something very logical for a character like him, the most "proficient and able" soldier, to come to as a conclusion.

>tl;dr Finn was very, very good at being a Stormtrooper and accomplishing the mission. He just got tired of seeing good soldiers die in order to justify whatever they were trying to accomplish.
>>
>>64309839
Still is. Only, now he brings it from the dump to the houses.
>>
>>64309772
She used force techniques instantly that all other jedi needed training and practie to do. Im personally ok with her being a good pilot/mechanic but she shouldnt have been able to use those techniques better than a trained dark jedi only after just learning about the force 3 hours ago.
>>
>>64309857
WHICH stems from him being relatively new to fighting. He was a Sanitation guy who saw all this shit go down for years, and when he finally got to go into battle he was good at it. but he had all of this backstory of seeing how things went down that, unlike the other troopers who kept killing shit since birth, he knew what else was out there....
>>
>>64309894
We'll get that shit explained in Episode VIII, though. It's clear that she's not untrained, just out of practice.
>>
>>64309923
So she learned all that from Luke as a toddler before she got dtched at Jakku? If shes trained the why did she think the jedi were a myth?
>>
Having Rey merely survive the attack of a trained force user would have been a better solution to her beating Kylo in her first fight. It makes both of them look better in the viewer's eyes.
>>
>>64309970
Was she a toddler? I need to see that clip again, because I thought she was a little older, like 5 or 6.

It's also possible she was "Jedi Mind Tricked." We really don't know. But she absolutely had training. The movie is heavily implying that she's connected to Luke's Academy.
>>
>>64309221
>What was the point of Kylo losing to Rey btw?
MARY SUE
A
R
Y

S
U
E
>>
>>64308178
>Haha no. /tv/ takes a "good movie" with flans and points them out

>Don't be a retard, /tv/ was never going to have the same opinion as me. Why don't you blindly follow me?
>>
>>64310011
At 5 or 6 you're not trained in weapon manipulation and mind rape son.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.