[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How long did it take you to realize TFA was trash and the Star
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3
File: TFA.jpg (11 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
TFA.jpg
11 KB, 300x168
How long did it take you to realize TFA was trash and the Star Wars franchise has turned into a corporate tool?

For me it was at the end of TFA, I kept hoping it would get better but it got worse as it progressed.
>>
>>64294949
>le contrarian opinion meme
>year of our Lord 2015
>>
>>64295205

This is literally the opinion of anyone over 10 who isn't committed to liking anything with the starwars logo on it.
>>
>>64295316
Keep telling yourself that, kiddo
>>
the xwings attacking the trench of the deathplanet while tie fighters defend

>stop feeding me this pig slop
>>
>>64295205
>>>/r/eddit
>>
I sat in the theater and watched the lights on the screen on heard the sounds but I barely remember anything that happened.

I think I liked Sisters more.
>>
>>64294949
Shut up OP, my wife's kids loved it.
>>
>>64295689
This desu.

I watched it a week ago and I can't remember anything but kylo sperging, "TRAITOR!", and the deja-vu trench run.
>>
>turned into
>implying star wars wasn't always a marketer's wet dream money making powerhouse
Be honest OP, are you even 18?
>>
I realized it after watching max max again
>>
>>64295792

All the other movies were original, bad or good. TFA was a clear attempt to milk the story for profit using the same formula as ANH.

This is the most blatent remake I have ever seen.
>>
>>64295792
It's hard to believe now, but the original Star Wars went against the grain in its own time.
>>
>>64295792
Yeah, that's why George picked up the exclusive toy rights, the studio just didn't want all of that cash!

No one thought Star Wars would make money except for Alec Guinness.
>>
>>64295205
I don't get how anyone with even a modicum of IQ can call this a contrarian opinion. Just because it doesn't agree with the opinion of the unwashed masses doesn't mean it is purposefully excreting in the proverbial Christmas dinner.

>Fact #1
Star Wars: TFA was an exact copy of Episode 4, to the point of being plagiarism, that failed to create a sliver of originality

>Fact#2
Star Wars: TFA is pure action without explanation moving from one mindless explosion to the next without any proper explanation, sequence, or development. It is little a series of battles strung up by some flimsy paper string that is supposedly supposed to be plot.

>Fact#3
The characters in TFA are simplistic, one-dimensional caricatures. Stronk women, emo kid, pure nazi, and Han Solo 'cuz. Black is black and white is white, but even then they fail to be good black and white, but rather the most base variety with little underlying structure or exposition. Han goes from being the complex smuggler to a simple father who walks out in the stupidest way because muh feelings and proceeds to act in the weakest death scene in recent Hollywood memory.

>Fact#4
The plot and premise make no sense. Somehow the First Order just exists and happens to have a giant sun striker device; this despite the Empire's loss some 40-50 years earlier in episode 6. The Resistance exists, but it's not quite clear what exactly they are resisting against, given that supposedly the republic won. The republic is some random third entity that never makes an appearance and is explained away through some unrealistic attack drawn out of a toddler's drawing. Who is this evil supreme leader? Given the rule of two he shouldn't exist and yet he is somehow a Sith. There is little agency for the entities that supposedly exist in the universe (the Republic); this was done to provide the vacuum Abrams needed to write the most unoriginal plot in history in order to be a commercial success. X-wing bombers, really?
>>
>>64296385

Continuing and to sum up, TFA isn't a failure. It is a huge commercial success; and it was meant to be.

Abrams was given a mandate to take no risks and deliver the product that Disney wanted for its bottom line. Just remember, you paid money to watch a 2 hour advertisement for all the toys your children will want come next Christmas time.

It isn't a movie, it's a business plan.
>>
>>64294949
I figured it out as soon as Finn crashed on Jakku
>>
>>64294949
I really enjoyed the first 45 minutes but then I realized they were doing the exact same thing as the first movie and then the main character unlocked God mode for no reason
>>
>>64294949
When Rey mindtricked the stormtrooper
>>
>>64296662
But shes a strnk woman that don't need no man (or yoda) to teach her the ways of the force
>>
>>64296761
>no man (or yoda)
What does he mean by this, /tv/?
>>
>>64296448
Exactly.
All of these retards bragging it smashed open the box office. Everyone knew what they were getting.
A soulless husk of a once great series now having its corpse fucked by greedy banksters that only care about turning a profit, rather than leaving an influential mark on people's lives and imagination.
Y'know Walt's DREAM.
>>
>>64294949
This is wrong. TFA was fine. Please refrain from being wrong in the future. Thanks and have wonderful day.
>>
>>64294949
>the Star Wars franchise has turned into a corporate tool?
That happened since A new hope you dingus.
>>
>>64294949
Lucas literally said he wouldn't do anymore Star Wars films after the prequels. If that wasn't a sign that TFA is just a cheap cash in on Star Wars nostalgia and Bazingafags than I don't know what is.
>>
>>64294949
>How long did it take you to realize TFA was trash

Wasn't that bad. Better than the prequels, slightly worse than Return of the Jedi.

>and the Star Wars franchise has turned into a corporate tool?

The prequels did that. Really, the original movies did that, but they were good so I don't give a fuck.
>>
>>64294949
>turned into

lmao, bandwagoner confirmed

the toys presold before new hope sold out instantly and character designs were changed to sell toys
>>
>>64294949
My wife's boyfriend loved it though
>>
It was a fine movie and I don't regret spending time and money watching it.

Was it the best movie ever? No, not really. But I wasn't expecting it to be.

I wish people would stop bitching about it, you're just lending credence to the idea that it's more important than it is.

You have to understand that when it came out it was unique, and nothing like it had ever been seen before. That's what made it special. These days every sci fi movie is made with good special effects, which makes new Star Wars movies just another sci-fi movie like any other.

So stop expecting something mind-blowing.
>>
>>64295940
ghostbusters 2
>>
>>64297501
>when it came out

"It" being A New Hope.
>>
>>64296385
>Star Wars: TFA was an exact copy of Episode 4
Anyone who says this is a retard.
>>
>>64294949
>For me it was at the end of TFA
just ass-blasted that they finally found Luke and the movie ended before he could speak

see you at Episode 8, figfog.
>>
When they blew up five fucking planets and absolutely NOTHING came of it. I lost all interest after that.
>>
>>64297501
>I wish people would stop bitching about it
This aint a hug box son.

>So stop expecting something mind-blowing.
I wasn't expecting something mindblowing but I sure wasn't expecting to see such a shameless ripoff to ANH
>>
>>64297605
I know, right?

The trench run on the deathstar was TOTALLY different!
>>
>>64297605
Why?
>>
>>64297826

>This aint a hug box son

It really is. When a movie with near perfect reviews is almost unanimously shit on in a certain place, that place is a hugbox, and by far the worst kind of hugbox. Contrarians are the most psychologically underdeveloped form of fat neckbeard with the least educated opinions. Worse than MLP virgins even.
>>
>>64297911

Well for one thing, A New Hope is cringeworthy, dated garbage for manchildren with a one dimensional villain, horrendous writing, and some of the worst acting ever put on a screen. Even if TFA was a shot for shot remake of ANH, it would be significantly better just for the special effects and acting performances.
>>
As soon as
>who talks first xD
>>
File: go home.gif (19 KB, 196x200) Image search: [Google]
go home.gif
19 KB, 196x200
go home you guys
>>
>>64297982
>muh special effects

Nice argument, retard.
>>
I just watched this and all I can say is... wow.... that was disappointing. Like really, really disappointing. The entire movie was mary sue this and that and what the fuck is the MF made out of that it can still fly after getting that smashed all over everything? God damnit disney you suck.
>>
I became an alcoholic after watching the force awakened. It ruined my life, I spend every aching moment of conscienceness trying to forget it
>>
>>64295316
>literally
Found the millennial!
>>64296385
>shit opinions with long explanations that nobody reads: the post
>>
File: 1451336547678.png (38 KB, 630x734) Image search: [Google]
1451336547678.png
38 KB, 630x734
Star Wars has been about toys for the last 30 years.
>>
>>64294949
*le edgy contrarian opinion*
>>
Reminder that anybody who legitimately hates TFA (not just a bit let down but HATES) is a virgin NEET loser who has way too much time on their hands.
>>
>>64299850
>>shit opinions with long explanations that nobody reads: the post
>Found the millennial!
How ironic
>>
>>64296385
>Han goes from being the complex smuggler
You're trying too hard. Han was never a complex character.
>>
>>64299959
>getting mad enough to even reply
wew
>>
>>64299980
Found the redditor scum
>>
>>64297905
>They both had trench runs so they're the same screenplay
kys
>>
>>64299917
I left the theatre satisfied, but the more I think about it the more I dislike the film

It's at best 6/10
>>
>>64294949
In my opinion it's an entertaining movie but it really isn't as imaginative or immersive as the original trilogy... Maybe I'm too old now but I did have a problem with how boring or weird some of the characters were, and how weak Ren was. Amusing and good special effects but not a great movie like episode IV or V.
That said Star Wars is for the children and I know my little cousin liked it
Plus my dad got me that remote controlled bb8 for xmas and it's fun as hell to drive around.
>>
>>64297982
give it 30 years and you will say all the exact same shit about TFA.
>>64296385
interesting opinions. I was also confused on who the hell the resistance was? Who are they resisting? didn't the dmpire fall in episode 6? How did these new order fuckboys get so much power in such a relatively short period without any push back from the republic? And what in the fuck is the master plan of these bad guys? find luke skywalker? Then what? galactic take over for whatever fuckin reason?

It is also worth mentioning that this movie was made to be a safe bet for making money. There's nothing remotely groundbreaking or interesting that you can pull from the force awakens, but you can't dismiss it because of these facts alone. There are far shittier and far less entertaining movies being pumped out every weekend and TFA does have some redeemable qualities that make it less of a waste of a time as other movies.
>>
>>64300057
>Y-y-your'e right but... YOURE WRONG! KYS!

You first m8yo.
>>
>>64300216
Leia was a high ranking member of the Republic so she was able to get them to support her Resistance.
>>
My first moment of doubt was Starkiller Base appearing the fuck out of nowhere and blowing up a bunch of planets we'd never seen before. My unease deepened when Han Solo et al cooked up a plan to blow it up in 20 seconds. My dislike finally turned to loathing at that damn "trash compactor" "joke."
>>
>>64297501
They should've just stopped after the OT, and definitely after the PT. You can even argue Eps 5 and 6 were unnecessary. Now it's just "modern sci-fi movie #397 with Star Wars branding," but it lets young people feel like they're "part of Star Wars."
>>
>>64297982
are you saying the new Star Wars movie ISN'T for manchildren?

I just want to be sure--you're saying this isn't a dumb space movie with light swords and masked villains, and that Disney doesn't want to exploit it by selling toys to grown men?

Is that your "claim"?
>>
>>64300216
It's probably like China's People's Liberation Army. They sure as hell aren't liberating anyone anymore (and arguably, even back then), but the naming convention stuck.
>>
>>64294949
About halfway through the film when I realized that Finn doesn't act at all like how I would imagine someone who's been trained to be a soldier since childhood to act, and that his motivation for deserting wasn't at all clear to me.
Also that most of the scenes involving Rey exist for the purpose of exhibiting how superbly independent and talented she is at everything she does.
>>
Half way through the movie.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.