[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You guys told me Spike Lee was an idiot. You guys told me he
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3
File: chi-raq.jpg (1 MB, 2025x3000) Image search: [Google]
chi-raq.jpg
1 MB, 2025x3000
You guys told me Spike Lee was an idiot. You guys told me he was all about "blame whitey" and he made stupid, one-sided, preachy movies. This is the first movie I've seen of his and I was seriously impressed, it was the opposite of all of that. I'm starting to think you guys don't even fucking watch movies here
>>
He even got a decent performance out of Nick Cannon, for fuck's sake
>>
>putting a hip urban twist on a greek classic

lazy hack
>>
>>64283091
Spike Lee is very hit or miss. I'll always have a fondness for him because he made the best basketball film of all time (He Got Game).
>>
Cultural appropriation, the ancient Greeks had light hair and were light skinned
>>
>>64283215

What are some of his good ones?

seriously I know I'm coming off as a shill, but this was one of the most original movies I've seen this year. Definitely has its flaws, I still have to think about it a bit, but it was like the opposite of what I expected based on Spike's reputation
>>
Watch Inside Man next.
>>
>>64283273

Bamboozled
>>
>>64283091
WE WAS GREEKS N SHIT
>>
>>64283273
Do the Right Thing and 25th Hour are his best works, Malcolm X is pretty good though ultimately preachy but still portrays him as the flawed nutjob he was.

Inside Man is an enjoyable heist flick.
>>
>>64283091
>I'm starting to think you guys don't even fucking watch movies here
That's exactly right, how new are you?
I FUCKING HATE MOVIES.
>>
>>64283332
literally the worst fucking movie of all time next to his other shit classic, do the right thing
>>
>>64283273
The two best are He Got Game and Inside Man imo. Both are excellent movies.

Malcolm X is also a great biopic if you're into that.

Do the Right Thing is Lee's first really famous movie that put him on the map. It's a well made film but it's also the movie that gave him the rep of making movies about how evil and racist white people are.

Bamboozled is literally The Producers with a minstrel show replacing Hitler in Spring Time (I kinda like it desu).

25th Hour is kind of meh but Edward Norton's rant scene is pretty cool.

Kobe Doing Work is a pretty good documentary if you're into that kind of thing.
>>
>>64283332
>>64283365

Cool, thanks

Anyone else see Chi-Raq yet though? How does it compare? There was a lot of stuff going on here, some of it was really goofy. I'd definitely say it was kind of a mess, but it was like a mess of good ideas, if that makes sense. It was something. I might have to see it again to really form an opinion, but he's obviously a really talented director. I can't believe I've been sleeping on him this long
>>
>>64283518
inside man is awful
>>
File: 2.png (2 MB, 2880x1800) Image search: [Google]
2.png
2 MB, 2880x1800
bump
>>
>>64283273
25th hour is good Inside Man is an ok heist movie
>>
>>64283273
Do The Right Thing and Malcolm X are objectively his best films and the ones he'll be remembered for. They're both focused on racial issues but his filmmaking talents are enormous and he's more subtle than tv/pol says.

25th Hour is a great post-9/11 New York film. Clockers and Summer of Sam are also underrated and non-preachy. Those three play out like great crime novels.

I don't care for his take on racial issues in America but he's a great New York filmmaker, he makes the city feel so vibrant.
>>
Malcolm X is an amazing movie until Spike Lee fucking blows it at the end. This isn't even a spoiler. At the end he just can't stop himself and trots out these random fucking people like a teacher and Nelson Mandela to say AND MALCOLM X WAS A GREAT, INSPIRATIONAL MAN BLAH BLAH BLAH. It can't even get preachier than that. It retroactively made the rest of the movie worse because he nailed it and then he had to fuck it up.

That's Spike Lee. He's undeniably talented but he just can't help himself and goes too far.
>>
>>64283518

>it's also the movie that gave him the rep of making movies about how evil and racist white people are.

It's crazy how many people miss the point of that movie. Sal is one of the main characters, one of the main players in the final scenes, and the first half of the movie goes out of its fucking way to establish how un-racist Sal was.

It's supposed to be pretty tragic when his pizza shop gets destroyed. But everyone is so fucking angry, their real enemies have guns and they've already driven away, and Sal is the only white man in sight. If Spike's character didn't throw the trash can through the window, and turn the mob's attention towards destroying a building, it probably would've been Sal himself that got beaten up or killed. That's why Spike "did the right thing" by breaking the window. Not because Sal deserved to have his business trashed, but because SOMETHING big was going to happen that night, and there was a way to keep it from turning into actual violence.

Spike Lee comes off like an idiot sometimes when he speaks out in public. But when he actually sits down and prepares a film as a statement on an issue, they tend to be pretty smart. And the message always tends to be about peace and love, not "whitey's the devil."
>>
>>64283273
do the right thing
when the levees broke
malcolm x
25th hour
clockers
inside man
da sweet blood of jesus christ
she's gotta have it
oldboy
>>
>>64284615

So he's like the black Inarritu
>>
>>64284624
>Spike Lee comes off like an idiot sometimes when he speaks out in public. But when he actually sits down and prepares a film as a statement on an issue, they tend to be pretty smart. And the message always tends to be about peace and love, not "whitey's the devil."
He said that your interpretation of the movie is wrong and you missed his point, because you're a typical white guy. Let me find the quote
>>
>>64284615

I guess that's pretty much how I felt about Chi-Raq. It definitely wasn't subtle, and there were many moments I found really hokey or preachy, but then there were other scenes that really hit the nail on the head, and were very powerful. In the end, I feel like the bad outweighed the good. It's a good movie. It was just really refreshing to see a filmmaker passionately addressing serious, contemporary issues. Too many talented filmmakers are too "cool" and cynical to even try.

And it was funny, and there was tons of sex and gorgeous black girls dancing around in rap-video musical sequences. It's very, very far from perfect, and I just saw it a few hours ago, but I think it made the strongest impression of anything I've seen this year
>>
File: Spike Lee (3).jpg (73 KB, 442x479) Image search: [Google]
Spike Lee (3).jpg
73 KB, 442x479
>>64284624
>>64284712
>Spike Lee has remarked that he himself has only ever been asked by white viewers whether Mookie did the right thing; black viewers do not ask the question.[14] Lee believes the key point is that Mookie was angry at the death of Radio Raheem, and that viewers who question the riot's justification are implicitly failing to see the difference between property and the life of a black man.[12]
It's from the criterion commentary, can't find the actual full quote
>>
>arguing on 4chan about if those negros from do the right thing, did the right thing
>>
>>64284712

But it was all right there in the movie, even if Spike said otherwise in an interview at some point. He might've been having a bad fucking day, and he was like "no, that's not what the movie was about, fuck white people." But when he wrote that script, it was clear that he was trying to offer a balanced perspective

Like most filmmakers, he's kind of an awkward weirdo, he clearly gets upset easily (his supreme dumbass moment when he tried to publish George Zimmerman's home address) and filmmaking is the best way he's got of communicating with the world
>>
>>64284954
>upset at somebody's death
>let's go and kill cats! if you object, that means you don't see the difference between cats and the life of a black man!
>>
>>64284954

I guess I'd have to hear the commentary before speaking on it, then. But even if his interpretation was different from mine, I think he did a great job of depicting that situation realistically. Nobody was 100% innocent, but nobody really deserved what they got. It was just an angry chaotic mess.
>>
If you liked Chi-Raq you should consider watching all his other movies. It's one of his weakest joints, imo
>>
>>64285082

Stop making excuses you fucking loser.
>>
>>64285476

I'm not making excuses, I think he says a lot of dumb shit that is inexcusable. I think he should think before he speaks on serious issues. Even if he'd gotten Zimmerman's address right, (instead of sending a bunch of protestors to the home of some poor old couple who happened to be named Zimmerman) it would've been a stupid thing to do, a fucking embarrassment.

So I'm always surprised how little of that stupidity carries over to his movies. I think he's the type of guy who can be insightful when he really takes the time to gather his thoughts and make a statement. So I really don't give a fuck what he said in an interview or on a DVD commentary years after he made the movie, because I saw the movie, and it was pretty clear he wasn't looking to point the finger or offer easy answers when he wrote it
>>
>thinking /tv/ will say anything positive about a predominantly black movie. Ever.

There's a couple of us black anons on this board but our voice is drowned down by the insecure beta white kids
>>
>>64286116
PLEASE FUCK MY WIFE???
>>
>>64286116

I'm the OP and I'm a beta white kid. Cut that shit out, you're part of the problem
>>
what is the point of chi-raq anyway? I havent seen it, probably wont watch it ever. Someone told me the plot is women arent having sex with their husbands/boyfriends until they get rid of their guns and that was also the plot of an ancient greek play or something
>>
>>64286116

Except there's actually a good discussion going on in this thread, of predominantly black movies, and you're the one coming in here with nothing insecurity. I'm sorry you've had bad experiences with white people, but attitudes like yours are a part of the reason things are so fucked-up and never seem to get unfucked
>>
>>64286707
>it's my fault
Nice meme white boi. Now get on your knees so i can make you my bitch.
>>
Then again, Spike put his name to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WsGrHzReo4&feature=youtu.be&t=23s
>>
haven't watched this yet but Do The Right Thing was good because Lee only made an observation in his movie and left the viewer to interpret it instead of shoving an agenda down your throat
I've heard that this one is too preachy
>>
>>64286116
>>64286945

and you're not one of them. You're a shitposter and probably an aussie
>>
>actress playing the main character is that Don's qt secretary from Mad Men
picked the fuck up
>>
>>64286950
lmao this wasn't spike, he just made the movie that happens from high school to sophomore year of 2k16
>>
>>64283091
Spike lee is white as hell and so are his movies. No one except troglodytes from /pol/ lacking ability to form nuanced opinions would consider SL a blame whitey preacher.

His movies aren't good unless you enjoy boring, insipid pontificating from a middle-class perspective.
>>
>>64283273
25th hours and do the right thing are undisputable masterpieces not sure why everyone loves bamboozled so much that movie is the most ham fisted piece of media that I have ever seen
>>
>>64283156
That's cultural appropriation.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.