[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Out of interest, why are we all pretending that TFA is worse
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 8
File: TFA_thumb_b1c49964.jpg (57 KB, 768x432) Image search: [Google]
TFA_thumb_b1c49964.jpg
57 KB, 768x432
Out of interest, why are we all pretending that TFA is worse than the Prequel Trilogy? I mean, I've been going along with it like all of you guys, but I assume everyone is just messing around. None of you actually are dumb enough to prefer Attack of the Clones over The Force Awakens, are you?
>>
>>64281543
/tv/ is literally the most contrarian place on the internet

If the mainstream audience had hated it, all you would see right now would be threads about what a masterpiece it is
>>
>pretending

>OP thinks ANH rehash is better than the political allegory of the Prequel Trilogy

Get out of here, pleb
>>
Why the hell did they change the stormtrooper chest armor? The chest pieces and helmets look really fucking cartooney.
>>
Well, TFA is too heavily invested in nostalgia and sometimes forget about its original characters.
Rey, for example, is a fucking Mary Sue with almost no flaws. She can pilot better than Han Solo, shoots better than Finn, and fights better than Kylo Ren, apparently, who has been training his whole life. I almost think she searched for Luke to train him on how to be a good Jedi.
Then there's Kylo Ren, which is the worse villain in the franchise. While Darth Vader and Darth Maul were introduced as badasses (or in Maul's case, a "silent badass") and then kept their status (Vader showed humanity but kept being scary and menacing), Kylo Ren looks extremely powerful in the first two scenes he's in (stopping a rifle laser in mid air, forcing a named character to say something important) and becomes a fucking trainwreck shortly after. It's not only about the looks. It's about how the film made such a big deal with the heavy mask and shit, and then he's just a teenager. In the same scene, Rey wrecks him using the Force, and then HE FUCKING LEAVES HER ALONE WITH A DUMB STORMTROOPER GUARDING HER. I'm all for showing humanity on villains, but he just stops being menacing. When he's not with his hood on, the helmet looks dumb. He screams too much. He's not strong enough. He gets hit by a blaster that was in front of him, when before in the movie he stopped a fucking rifle. How the fuck am I supposed to feel anything for this faggot? He's useless.
Finn was an OK character, but his whole gangsta persona was a little dumb. He was programmed as a stormtrooper and maybe something went wrong, I get it, but he makes too many jokes and have no discipline. At least he's funny.

Aside from the story, the movie is OK. The direction is nostalgic (transitions, sounds, etc) but competent at the same time. I liked the effects of lightsabers in the snow.
>>
>>64281588
This. Look no further than the MoS threads that were getting constantly spammed over the summer
>>
5 > 4 > 6 > 3 >= 7 > 1 >>>> 2
>>
>>64282359

Revenge of the Sith is highly overrated because of how "dark" it is. The truth is it's barely better than the Phantom Menace
>>
>>64281543
I don't pretend anything. I say it's good. And that's what I'm posting.
>>
>>64281543
TFA is a Rehash
Prequels are poetry
i prefer but only slightly TFA(because the Prequels had great ideas but fucked up in the acting,lines and marchandize.i prefer something that played it safe and just ended up being decent to an ambition that created Jar Jar and Midi-chlorians.
>>
>>64281543
If Star Wars was all I had access to as a child in terms of sci-fi I probably would become one of those crazy fanboys, but thankfully I had access to anime from very early on in my youth years that my mental balance is very stable.

Seriously, if you have watched Akira, you'd realize just how sophisticated anime is and it blows away anything Star Wars would have to offer.

A lot of people mention Ghost In The Shell, which has just enough of sexuality in the mix to draw in the western audience I suppose but I must say that Ghost In The Shell is not even in my top 10 anime, not even close, that's just how deep the world of anime is.

Some anime is so disturbingly mature like Fractale that I wish it would challenge the system and submit it as a Drama category in the Oscars just to bitchslap the snotty Academy.

It's not just the level of maturity and sophistication anime has, it's also quite original, entertaining, and visually fantastic. I would regard anime as the highest form of cinema art-form.

But hey, me preaching about anime won't do you any good, you gotta go out and see it for yourself just how much you are missing.

The recent one I would recommend to check out is Sword Art Online which is light and easy to get into anime for the first time yet appreciate it as much, but if you want the heavy stuff right off the line check out Guilty Crown in which the plot is so complex and twisted that you'll need extra oxygen pumped into your brain in order to comprehend everything, and if you want amazing visuals and a gripping drama that also has awesome mecha battles Aldnoah.Zero is the shit.

Seriously, if you know anime like I do, Star Wars looks like it's something for little kids.
>>
>>64283556

This has to be pasta, right?
>>
Just because it's better than the prequels, doesn't make it a good movie.

The OT still blows this piece of shit out of the water by leaps and bounds. Even with Lucas' shitty revisions.
>>
>>64283556
nice paragraph bro i'm not reading it
>>
>>64283617

It is, don't worry.
>>
>>64283617
>>64283658
>>64283673

Pasta yes, but this part is true:

>If Star Wars was all I had access to as a child in terms of sci-fi I probably would become one of those crazy fanboys

It's reddit-tier, the people who like star wars really have no exposure to the sci-fi genre
>>
This board is the mere definition of the word cuck.
>>
>>64281543
OP is a sheep faggot nothing else to see here.
>>
>>64283746
>really have no exposure to the sci-fi genre
yeah cause i'm not a fucking NERD
hah BTFO
>>
>>64282178
This nigga got it right

The story is a rehash of New Hope and Rey is a terrible character. If they added some flavor such as that the Death Star had an actual purpose instead of building it to scare people (which is retarded because nobody knew what it was) then i wouldn't complain.
>>
>>64283923
>nigga
spotted the redditor
>>
>>64283899

epin, simply epin
>>
>>64281588
>/tv/ is literally the most contrarian place on the internet
No there are places on the internet that liked the prequels BEFORE the force awakened
>>
>>64283746

That's because Star Wars isn't sci-fi. How the fuck do you figure that someone who likes Star Wars would go into Dune or whatever? It just makes no sense. They'd sooner jump on WH40K, or Warcraft, or basically anything fantasy that also featured magitek.

Calling Star Wars sci-fi seems retarded to me. It's not even FOCUSED on science. IN ANY WAY. It's not like unrealistic science or also a science-focus that happens to feature magic. It's literally all about fucking magic.
>>
>>64281543
>None of you actually are dumb enough to prefer Attack of the Clones over The Force Awakens, are you?

When you are new, you fall for the memes and do not know it

When you have been here for a while, you pretend to fall for the memes and think everyone else is pretending

When you have been here too long, you realize everyone really is falling for the memes and don't mind at all
>>
File: Cottage_Cheese.png (234 KB, 506x489) Image search: [Google]
Cottage_Cheese.png
234 KB, 506x489
>>64281543
>>
7 > 5 > 3 > 6 > 1 > 4 > 2
>>
>>64285374
xD
>>
>>64284299

Is this memes?
>>
>>64281588
>contrarian

Code word for "I can't refute this person's points"
>>
>>64281543
You know how /b/ used to call each other niggers and make jokes about the jews but now we have /pol/?
It's like that.
>>
>>64282178
>She can pilot better than Han Solo, shoots better than Finn, and fights better than Kylo Ren
all wrong, didn't you see the movie?

>too autistic to understand Kylo
>finn's whole gangsta persona
/r9k/ poster?
>>
If you actually think The Force Awakens is better in anyway than the prequels then may be time to go anon, your time here is over. There will be other forums.
>>
File: 1418217407748.jpg (50 KB, 856x642) Image search: [Google]
1418217407748.jpg
50 KB, 856x642
Hang on...all those prequel-bashing threads that suddenly came along in the year before TFA's release...

Disney, you devious bastards
>>
im all for people having their own opinions, but i just seriously dont get how anyone can prefer TFA over any of the other star wars, even the prequels.
you may not like the cgi in the prequels or maybe some of the simplistic dialogue but it WAS a star wars. TFA is nothing like sw, its just a generic action film using star wars as a mask. there was nothing about it that resembles a star wars film.
the characters were completely unforgettable.
lets look at the prequels, we have;
obi wan, anakin, mace windu, qui-gon jinn etc.
what does TFA have? the characters are so boring and tedious. they have nothing that will make you think twice about them. nothing that will make you as a kid want to buy an action figure of one of them.

attack of the clones had indepth world concepts, shots of futuristic cities and landscapes. good conversations (especially revenge of the sith). the politics on coruscant etc

you cant hate on the prequels because you dont like Ja Ja. they were a good product of their time and i thought the characters, battles, worlds, quotes were all amazing.

so lets get past this. all tfa had was shiny effects and CGI. it was fast paced with no depth or substance at all. completely tedious
>>
Better to try and fail than to phone it in and pump out mediocre shit like TFA
>>
>>64282178
>Then there's Kylo Ren, which is the worse villain in the franchise. While Darth Vader and Darth Maul were introduced as badasses (or in Maul's case, a "silent badass") and then kept their status (Vader showed humanity but kept being scary and menacing), Kylo Ren looks extremely powerful in the first two scenes he's in (stopping a rifle laser in mid air, forcing a named character to say something important) and becomes a fucking trainwreck shortly after.

that's the point. he's a fairly strong antagonist who is heavily influenced by emotion. he's NOT vader. he's NOT maul, or dooku, or sheev. he's a naive kid with potential that isn't sure what to do with it and has been tricked by some fag.
>>
I honestly think people just don't remember how fucking BAD the prequels are. The acting and dialogue is so fucking cringe worthy it's like below 13 year old fan-fic tier levels.

The one point I would give the Prequels over TFA is at least the prequels expanded the universe and were original, while TFA is rushed nostalgia bait that often came close to scene for scene A New Hope but with less heart.

The Prequels were incompetent and unwatchable in essentially every way.

TFA is competent but clearly designed by committee and focus groups. It's a soulless product.
>>
>>64286516

This has to be bait.
>>
>>64281588
>/tv/ is one person
It's better than TPM, and AOTC, but only slightly better than Revenge

but being better than literal garbage isn't much of an achievement, the point /tv/ is making is that Lucas was actually trying to do something with his movie, TFA is just a mish mosh of different things all meant to please the highest amount of people possible. Star Wars is just too big to be anything that makes you think or that has a consistent theme
>>
>>64282094
I don't get the complaints about the Stormtroopers they were about the only good thing in the movie, the helmet looks like you could actually see out of it now too
>>
>>64286745
serious. but please explain how it would be bait. ive made reasonable points.
>>
>>64286690
>soulless because it wasnt a shit movie
>>
>>64281543
People forget the amazing first half of the movie because it was followed by the mediocre second half.

The Prequels were 2 hours of shit + a solid climax.
>>
>>64286932

Mainly

>the characters were completely unforgettable
>mace windu, qui-gon jinn
>>
>>64287036
qui-gon jinn was the best character in the prequels
>>
>>64287036
what was forgettable about them? mace windu was cool, he had a double ended lightsaber and was a good fighter. Qui GGon for starters is liam neeson so thats already made him better than anyone in TFA. dont disregard my whole post as bait because you dont rate those 2 characters. theyre better than fucking rey and finn or that scottish prick
>>
Lucas real Star Wars > Disneys "Star Wars"
>>
>>64287093

>mace windu was cool, he had a double ended lightsaber

So unforgettable, you confused him with Darth Maul.
>>
>>64282178

I agree with you on everything about Rey, but I'll fight you over Ren. Him being a fuckup is exactly what makes him charming.
>>
>>64287117
damn i messed up my post, only just realised
im tired ok
>>
>>64282178
>his whole gangsta persona
>>
File: hahaohwow.jpg (40 KB, 560x432) Image search: [Google]
hahaohwow.jpg
40 KB, 560x432
>>64287117

Prequelbabbies got rekt
>>
>>64287001
Am I defending the prequels? No I said they were complete and utter unwatchable shit.

TFA is competent but it's still fucking shit. It's shallow, the pacing is terrible, there is little at all characterization, the entire movie is just a mish mash of things from the OT and it doesn't have really that much care put into it. (Actually I would argue TFA does have at least some care put into it for the first 20-30 minutes until they get on the Falcon, but then falls apart)

TFA is just like every other capeshit or whatever blockbuster movie shitted out by Disney today, very well made, but with no soul, designed by marketers focus testing fanboys for maximum capital return. TFA isn't a good movie, I got fucking disguisted looks from people when I said "Well that was mediocre", what makes people love it so much is because it was designed on purpose, in a board room, to hit every psychological point of what a shallow fanboy wants through data they got through focus tests.

This is also the difference between Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. The Hobbit is a modern standard CGI blockbuster well made shitfest designed by committee, Lord of the Rings actually had soul and effort put into it.
>>
>>64287117
BTFO
T
F
O
>>
>>64286690
if I had never seen 7 or the prequels, and george just explained the plot of them to me, the prequels would sound cool as fuck, while 7 would sound like a boring rehash.

yet the execution makes the boring rehash a much better watch
>>
>>64286690

this

prequels were at least "neat" when it came to the stuff they introduced universe-wise and Ewan was god-tier casting.
And while they are just terrible movie-wise they all have something cool happen in them.
Fart awakens felt so un-star wars, like jurrasic world to park.

I'm fine turning off my brain for nonsense like a tmnt or some shit but when you already have a fantasy world with established rules and you basically rape them with out of place dialog/everyone has jokes/ and one-shot panning camera scenes of cgi garbage i tend to not care anymore.
>>
>>64286845
>/tv/ is one person
You know what, at this point yes it is.
>>
File: flashback breakdown.jpg (2 MB, 4226x4778) Image search: [Google]
flashback breakdown.jpg
2 MB, 4226x4778
>>64281543
This thread is now dedicated to discussing the Ren flashback scene.

why has no one tried to break this down in order to gain insight on what happened and what we might see in the next movie??
>>
>>64286128
have you taken a second to look at the unmitigated shitposting on this board? most of the reasons given about how bad the movie is are based on really obvious questions about "plot holes" that could easily be filled with any amount of logic and reasoning. the people here want to pretend like they're patricians of filmmaking when really they're just a bunch of faggots pretending to be elitist about something they know next to nothing about because it gives them something to do in their boring, meaningless existences.
>>
>>64289051
The first picture is the hallway in the second part of Lukes duel with Vader in Empire IDIOT
>>
>>64286690
>I honestly think people just don't remember how fucking BAD the prequels are. The acting and dialogue is so fucking cringe worthy it's like below 13 year old fan-fic tier levels.

To be fair, TFA in comparison is afraid of having any dialogue at ALL. It's like they are bored by having their characters talk so they just immediately interrupt any talking with an action sequence.
PM's conversations were pretty cringey at times, but at least it had conversations. There are no memorable conversations in TFA
>>
>>64289051
>Ren
>Ren
>Ren
>>
>>64289051
If Rey can't remember her training and turns evil I will forgive most of the sins from TFA
>>
>>64289051
>there's a fire off screen and it's night
>what seems like a dark fiery planet
Funny stuff
>>
File: esb hall scene.jpg (148 KB, 1881x941) Image search: [Google]
esb hall scene.jpg
148 KB, 1881x941
>>64289142
>The first picture is the hallway in the second part of Lukes duel with Vader in Empire IDIOT

Good eye i haven't re-watched the originals in a while. probably should have and i would of recognized this scne. I'll fix pic.

>>64289296
>If Rey can't remember her training and turns evil I will forgive most of the sins from TFA
>>
>>64289296
>If Rey can't remember her training and turns evil I will forgive most of the sins from TFA

a friend of mine has a crazy thoery that it was her that tunred to the dark side. She was so powerfull at some point kylo had to give in as well to defeat her.

Luke was so broken by loss of his padwans and other jedi he trained and couldn't bring himself to kill her. so he mind wiped her and left for parts unknown broken.

(this also explains why luke has a pissed off look on his face when she finds him on his exile)
>>
It was a better made movie than any of the prequels, but the prequels are much more interesting because they actually took risks. Obviously, the prequels failed miserably, but interesting failures will always be preferable to soulless nostalgia cash-ins.
>>
>>64289051
Kylo's lightsaber is the same in the vision as the rest of the movie, it's just hard to make out in the camrip.
>>
>>64289603
>Kylo's lightsaber is the same in the vision as the rest of the movie, it's just hard to make out in the camrip.

when it stabbed through the guy it din't have the crackle. i'll keep a closer eye on this scene when i go back to the theaters to watch it again.
>>
>>64289457

sounds too fun honestly to happen.

I'd expect gay poe before something somewhat original like that.
>>
>>64289650
I saw it and I remember it having the vents but now you're confusing me, If it doesn't have the vents that's pretty significant though
>>
>>64289051

Are those bodies around the Knights of Ren in the Jedi Temple massacre flashback? That would definitely fit with the school shooter motif they were aiming for with the character
>>
>>64283556
The Autism Awakens
>>
File: kylo lightsaber vision.jpg (33 KB, 717x208) Image search: [Google]
kylo lightsaber vision.jpg
33 KB, 717x208
>>64289650
>when it stabbed through the guy it din't have the crackle
Yes, it does. This camrip the images come from is shit quality.
The saber looks the same as the rest of the movie. The cross is there too, just angled so it's hard to see because the side blades mostly line up with the long blade.
>>
>>64290166
I'll have to find a better quality one then.
>>
No one's going to talk about how fucking embarrassing Phasma was? oh that's right no one even remembers her shitty character.
this movie really just gets more awful the more you think about it and the only good part was the fucking nameless stormtrooper that yells "traitor"
>>
>>64290280
her charcter was so hyped. sometimes i think that twirl baton scene was meant to be her fighting instead but something happened. There was a vid of her practice fighitng with a sword like item. but no fight with her was shown.

also rumor has it that JJ was hiding an anti femenist movement message in the movie.

If phantasma was loyal and a proper officer she woudl not have dropped the shields but instead set off a sielnt alarm (since fin has no idea how to work those controls he coulnd't warn anyone.)

but no .. she gave up the ship because she could not be trusted (the base in this case)

leia guilt trips hand into his own death. seriously what the fuck was she thinking. fucking emo fuck piece of shit son turns eveil and she just wants him to come home. so han take a chance aht he just guts you please?
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.