[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did the rebellion need R2's portion of the map if BB8
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 5
File: 18s3sd0a10tf3jpg.jpg (55 KB, 500x647) Image search: [Google]
18s3sd0a10tf3jpg.jpg
55 KB, 500x647
Why did the rebellion need R2's portion of the map if BB8 had the part with Lukes actual location?
>>
why couldn't they just beam the Death Star plans across the galaxy
>>
>>64277702
They couldn't figure out what region of space that referred to.
>>
Why couldn't they get a space IT technician to get the map off of R2?
>>
another part of the movie which made no fucking sense at all
>>
The unknown portion seemed to be in the western part of the Galaxy which has always been unknown space in current canon.

Without the rest of the map to show where in the known galaxy it referred to, it was useless.
>>
>>64277742
it's not space fantasy enough
>>
what the fuck is a droid? is it sentient?
>>
>Map to Luke
>Just activate the lightspeed and go straight there anyways
What
was
the
point
>>
>>64277922

Pretty much this. BB had the coordinates yet there was a whole map just because. And what's shit tier is R2 suddenly waking up for no reason to give the rest of the map
>>
I like how R2 decided to wake up at the end because the script called for it. Premo job JJ.
>>
>>64277702
Because they wanted more nostalgia to make you like the movie
>>
>>64277702
It showed where he was but they didn't know where those places in the map are. They needed the bigger picture to get the context. Like, if I gave you a map that showed Luke was in a Walmart that has a Taco Bell and a hair cut place next to it you wouldn't know how to find the Walmart. You would need a bigger map that showed other landmarks near said walmart
>>
>>64277901
It's this
>>
>>64277742
email wasn't invented yet
>>
>>64278109

That's not at all right. Quit trying defend this crap.
>>
>>64278060
>R2 suddenly waking up for no reason

A certain individual activated his security protocols when they got to close to him
>>
>>64277751
>>64277901
>>64278109
THESE
H
E
S
E
>>
Who was the old man in the beginning with the map? And why was he the one to have it instead of someone closers to luke? If luke wanted to hide, why even make a map of his location? And if he intended on returning was he going to wait until after the first order destroyed the rebellion along with everyone he loves?
>>
BB8 had the specific location but they didn't know what area of space it was in, R2's map showed them that.

Its like BB8 had a road name, while R2 had the state
>>
>>64278060
>>64278173
BB8 woke up R2 in the novel.
>>
Why didn't Han just bring Rey, Finn and BB-8 straight to Leia in hyperspace mode?
>>
>>64277702

Are all of these plot-hole threads serious? I mean, real life has plot holes (things that don't make sense at surface level), let alone a movie.
>>
>>64278352
A story for another time
>>
>>64277702
It was uncharted space, it may as well be an "actual location" on the bottom of the ocean floor
>>
>>64278352
It tells you this in the movie? Maz calls him out for avoiding Leia. He was ashamed to see her since he was a failure of a father and had reverted to his old vice
>>
>>64278190
This is the main thing that bothers me too.

First of all it's completely unlike Luke to leave his beloved friends and especially his sister behind.

Second, okay, let's just ASSUME he really wants to be left alone and doesn't care that the First Order goes full blitzkrieg on the galaxy. Why would he make a map that leads to him then? Is it some kind of "in case of emergency, use this to find me and I'll come help?"

Then why not just tell Leia where he is?

Why didn't he return by himself when he sensed billions of people dying?

Why is a part of the map with an old guy on Jakku?
>>
>>64278352
The First Order was aware that they were on the Falcon.
They needed a clean ship that couldn't be traced to them.
>>
>>64277742
the empire shut down the internet.
according to old cannon
>>
>>64278406
Well that's nice. I guess Han would rather take the First Order killing hundreds of innocents and completely wrecking Maz's cantina she ran for ~1000 years over facing Leia out of shame.

Why didn't he just drop them onto their planet in escape pods then? He wouldn't have to go see Leia himself. He said "let's just drop them on the next planet" to Chewie anyway.
>>
>>64278284
That's kind of stupid and contrived.
>>
>>64278469
So why does he bring the falcon to Maz?
Does he want to kill her?

Also it seems no one knew the falcon was there until that one weird bitch chilling in the cantina saw them walk in.

This movie is weird.
>>
>>64277702
kylo ren even points out that the first order has the rest of the map from the imperial archives

why the fuck didnt the republic have a copy of that map?
>>
why in Star Wars do characters emediately find the one person they're looking for just by knowing by getting direction to a specific planet?

Planets are big
>>
Why did rey Park so far from luke
>>
>>64278753
Star Wars is a fantasy so I always think of the planets less like planets and more like fantasy places. Instead of thinking of Dagobah as a huge planet think of it as that swamp to the south of the castle that an old wizard is rumored to live in. It helps my suspension of disbelief.
>>
You are now aware that nothing in this movie would have happened if it wasn't for the storm troopers in the beginning during the assault on Jakku and the old man with the map shooting Poe's x-wing as he tried to take off.

Imagine if he had actually managed to take off right there.
>>
>>64277758
They probably considered it to be rape, right?
>>
>>64278881
It never really ruins my immersion, but I find it funny how often it happens.

Obi Wan finds Jango Fett on Kamino at his first stop

Obi Wan finds Grevious on Utapah at his first stop

Padme finds Anikin on Mustifar at her first stop

Luke finds Yoda on Dagobah at his first stop

Rey finds Luke on that planet on her first stop.

Did I miss any?
>>
>a small but growing number of people are calling R2 and BB-8 a she because gender roles or non-binary or whatever the hell they do
>>
>>64278511
R2 was programmed to wake up when a friendly had the other part of the map near it or some shit
>>
Why do the need a map anyway.

Surely they only need the destination coordinates. Its not like the other nodes on the map had clues to the next one.
>>
>>64279122
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/20/jj-abrams-answers-burning-question-about-r2-d2-star-wars-force-awakens

“BB-8 comes up and says something to him, which is basically, ‘I’ve got this piece of a map, do you happen to have the rest?’” Abrams said. “The idea was, R2 who has been all over the galaxy, is still in his coma, but he hears this. And it triggers something that would ultimately wake him up.”

The director acknowledges that R2’s sudden “awakening” at the end was designed to be an emotional storytelling utility: “While it may seem, you know, completely lucky and an easy way out, at that point in the movie, when you’ve lost a person, desperately, and somebody you hopefully care about is unconscious, you want someone to return.”
>>
>>64279103
but that doesn't make sense no matter how you feel about gender

its a fucking droid and it certainly doesn't identify as a fucking gender.
Plus if its a she then it is a binary gender
>>
File: 1451155652923.jpg (93 KB, 653x590) Image search: [Google]
1451155652923.jpg
93 KB, 653x590
>>64279156
Supposedly because they needed "a safe hyperspace route" to get to him so they couldn't just approach his planet from any direction
>>
>>64277702
they couldn't image search it on google, they needed someone to post the full set
>>
>>64279100
The first three you listed were probably the only of a few landing ports on the habitable platforms (kamino and mustafar) and utapau (a giant hole).

Luke finding Yoda was purely a coincidence of the Force.

Maybe the planet that Rey finds Luke on had only that small archipelago.
>>
>>64279397
Luke finding Yoda wasn't a coincidence.

Luke's flight to Dagobah took a long time. Not only was Obi-Wan a force ghost already and could have told Yoda to prepare for it, Yoda also sensed Luke coming and made sure he'd be right where Luke lands.
>>
>>64277702

Dude this all happens in an universe where jumping from one galaxy to another is nothing special, and the universe is endless.
It's like me showing you a picture of a random house and then expecting you to know where the fuck it is.
>>
>>64279488
Yoda's home was nearby.
>>
>>64279589
It's a mud hut, he either built it in the few days before or he just made it levitate from its original spot over there
>>
How is the whole galactic civil war going?
>>
File: Gngf.jpg (49 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Gngf.jpg
49 KB, 640x480
>>64279628
I assume yoda made the roots on the tree grow in a week's time, as well?
>>
>>64277901
the new made up canon. riiiiight.....
none of this is in the movie
>>
>>64279397
>The first three you listed were probably the only of a few landing ports on the habitable platforms (kamino and mustafar) and utapau (a giant hole).
I could buy that Mustifar and for Kamino, even tho according to Clone Wars I think they showed additional colonies, but Utapah had a bunch of holes all over the place, we could see more landing ports elsewhere in the movie's establishing shot.

>Maybe the planet that Rey finds Luke on had only that small archipelago.
I think I remember the exterior shot of that planet having several continents/patches of green - anybody have some bootleg screencaps of that planet?
>>
>>64279748

Force nigga. That shit's in the trees.
>>
Why did they bring BB-8 to the not-cantina place when they knew that the whole galaxy was looking for him?
>>
>>64280024
If you can believe that, why can you not believe that luke finding yoda was destiny?
>>
>>64279891
With utapah he could have some intelligence

With most of these there could be some prior knowledge of some sort or planet scanning shit
>>
>>64277702
why would you need a large map of Africa if you already had the map of a small town in the sahara
>>
>>64279749
But it's in TCW cartoon and the rebels cartoon, which are both canon
>>
>>64277702
R2 has the piece of the map showing known space.

BB-8 has the piece of the map showing unknown space.

Separately, they're useless. BB-8's shows places that they don't know where they are because there's no reference. R2's shows just the reference points, but nothing else.

Together, you have a map that leads to the first Jedi Temple, where Luke is.
>>
>>64280380
ya, that's true.

We know the empire can scan for lifeforms when the droids are jettisoned in an escape pod in A New Hope, so I guess that's a fair assumption. Still, it's probably pretty rare there are only lifeforms on one spot on the whole planet
>>
File: star-wars-njo-map.jpg (24 KB, 429x321) Image search: [Google]
star-wars-njo-map.jpg
24 KB, 429x321
>>64279749
>>64280571
At least since 1999, it's part of the EU that was acknowledged by 'disney canon' material like that anon said.
>>
>>64277702
It should have been done as two projections on top of another, one with a map, and one with his path along the stars, a missing piece like a puzzle was stupid, since they could just go to that section and brute force look for him
>>
>>64277702
It's like if someone said "go straight one block and turn left" but you don't know where to go straight one block and turn left from. Useless directions until someone tells you where to start.
>>
>>64279100
Anytime that happens..the force did it.
>>
>>64280359

I'm not that anon, anon. I was just shitposting.
>>
>>64280736
This is always the excuse in Star War's bad writing
>>
File: 20151230_205459.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151230_205459.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
Guys don't worry I found Luke Skywalker
>>
>>64277758
Encryption
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.