[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've never seen such a good film receive such a negative
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
File: swimaxpost-156214 (1).jpg (152 KB, 655x380) Image search: [Google]
swimaxpost-156214 (1).jpg
152 KB, 655x380
I've never seen such a good film receive such a negative public backlash. What were people expecting?
>>
>>64274877
/tv/ doesn't constitute all of the public, you would be surprised to know that the majority of people really enjoyed the movie.
>>
>>64274877
haha nice try.
no negative backlash except on beta internet sites.

i expect to see op on suicide watch when he realizes he's in for a life of virginity and he will never have a dad.
>>
>>64274877
>you would be surprised to know that the majority of people really enjoyed the movie

If you were a newfag maybe.
>>
Why don't you read some reviews from sites like letter boxed and imdb?

Why not post in the thread thats already talking about your pleb trash in this way instead of making a new one?
>>
People are insanely(literally) invested in this franchise. They devote their lives to this franchise. They expected a return equivalent to that. When they just got a decent adventure movie out of the bargain they decided to sperg out.
>>
>>64274877
>negative public backlash
>breaking box office records left right and center
>>
>>64275011
>>64275025
There are a bunch of articles trashing it all of a sudden, and now even normie sites like IMDB is full of negative reviews.
>>
>>64274877
It's a good film with flaws.

Unfortunately, some people on the internet can only understand things in one of two extremes:

>IT WAS THE BEST MOVIE EVER
>IT WAS THE WORST MOVIE EVER

I would say most people went with the former over the latter (except /tv/, where the latter is more popular).
>>

/tv/ isn't representative of the public
>>
>>64274877

>film

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: oceanofsheep.png (23 KB, 802x173) Image search: [Google]
oceanofsheep.png
23 KB, 802x173
>>64275101
IMDB is hilarious right now
>>
File: 1283885933957.jpg (91 KB, 447x444) Image search: [Google]
1283885933957.jpg
91 KB, 447x444
>>64275098
>It's a good film
stick to roleplaying on /tg/ and reading comics bud
>>
Contrary to your small world view, this isn't public backlash. The gigantic majority don't care either way.
>>
>>64275121
Do these people realize that Episode I is also a copy and paste of ANH's plot?
>>
>>64275134
So it's "IT WAS THE WORST MOVIE EVER" for you? That's alright. Have a good one.
>>
>>64275134
Please don't act like an authority on film when you post on /tv/
>>
>>64274877

9/10 literally everywhere is "negative public backlash"?
>>
>>64275070
>>64274877

This more than anything. For my friends who have complaints about the movie, I always ask, "Well what were you expecting?" I tend to get responses along the lines of:

>It doesn't follow the books
>How come Rey can use the force so well if she never trained?
>New characters are bland

The answers are quite simple. Obviously, the books are non-canonical at this point. They carry no weight anymore.

Powerlevel complaints in Star Wars always make me scratch my head, as the films have been messing with powerlevels since before TFA. Jedi have to be trained from very young age, yet Luke was able to discover the force and his power well past his youth. No one took issue with this in the past.

>But Luke is Anakin's son, so he's strong with the force...

Yeah, other people can be too. I don't know why people have such a hard time accepting this. You want new Star Wars films to introduce new ideas and build on the universe, yet everyone complains about the film being a rehash while in the same breath complaining how Rey's powers are unrealistic.

Most dissenters make my head hurt.
>>
>>64275172
Where was the deathstar in that movie.
>>
>>64274877
Not a glib facsimile
>>
>>64275312
The capital ship or whatever it was called
>>
>>64275312
That central command thing for the Droids could be argued.
>>
>>64274877
We were expecting something original that wasn't a new hope reboot filled with Reddit old cast fan service
>>
>>64275198
its the worst "blockbuster" i've seen for 2015
MI:RN >> MMFR >>>>> THE MAN FROM UNCLE >>>>>>>>>>>>> F7=TFA
>>64275276
do not post at your cine-superior unless I post at you first
>>
>>64275300
You are one dumb faggot my good man, the jedi need to be trained from a very young age so that they abandon all connections they have with the external world and have slim chances of falling to the dark side not for any other reasons, Luke also couldn't do a simple mind trick for 2 moves and barely used the lightsaber in favor of blasters because he wasn't good at it, only after he completed his training with yoda (off screen between ep 5 and 6) he was able to fight and use the force like a proper jedi.
>>
>>64274877

Hi, OP.

I think the disconnect is between casual Star Wars fans who only see it as a purveyor of cheap sci fi fun, and more stalwart fans who were utterly pissed they were given this much buildup for essentially a shiny rehashed summary of Episodes 4-6 marketed as something new.

That's probably the bit a lot of people aren't understanding, a lot of us weren't merely there to see an "enjoyable" movie.

As others have pointed out, as Star Wars has now become progressively mainstream and plenty of moviegoers were casuals with no deep care for the franchise, they had a good time.
>>
>>64275424
Nigga Star Wars was mainstream the moment it hit box offices
>>
My mates all thought it was like Avengers and the "modern dialogue" was off-putting
>>
>>64274877
I expected a good movie. I got a half assed reboot instead.
>>
>>64275456

The fierce fandom for it persisted for decades after without a release for a reason, and it wasn't the people who merely had a good time at the theater seeing it then moved on to the next thing

don't act like it was common and normal to be a big SW fan because anyone who grew up prior to this Pop Sci era knows it wasn't
>>
>>64274877

>What were people expecting?

A Star Wars movie. They got a Disney'd up flick.

>>64275286

>literally everywhere

Filmaffinity users give it a 7.3

Taking in mind it's Star Wars and it has just been released that's pretty low. You know, it's the fanboys voting first.

Will fall down to a 6 in some months.
>>
>>64275300
No one ever taught Rey anything about the force. She thought Luke and the Jedi were just a myth. Luke was taught by Obiwan how to channel the force on the falcon and then later by yoda.
>>
JJ Abrams is the most unfairly maligned mainstream director of our time
>>
>>64275766
>>64275300
>>64275276
>>64275098
>>64275070
>these pop culture apologists
How long has /tv/ been /r/movies?
Where can I go to have non-gay discussions about movies?
>>
>>64275406
>>64275562

Do you have to be taught the force, or is it naturally around you?

Like I said, people complain about the movie being a rehash, but then get butthurt that Rey's path doesn't conform to the rest of the films in the series.

Yeah, it took Luke awhile to channel his powers.
Yeah, no one ever taught Rey anything about the force (that we know of at this point; she still has an origin that's yet to be explained).

But Rey isn't Luke. She's something else entirely, and her story is very incomplete at the moment. Everyone is judging her character based on a partial picture.

Shit, Luke piloted an X-wing his FIRST TIME and destroyed the fucking Death Star, a feat that all the other experienced pilots were unable to do? He was far from a trained Jedi at that point, yet his force sensitivity gave him the ability to complete a nearly impossible task without hardly any prior training or experience.

Almost just how Rey is able to defeat a wounded Kylo Ren in a lightsaber duel thanks to her training with a staff and her force sensitivity.

It's not that much of a leap.
>>
>>64275121
>IMDB is hilarious right now

IMDB is always hilarious. They're worse than /tv/ when it comes to autistic shutins.
>>
>>64276540
luke had experience flying his uncles ship which was from the same company that made the x-wing. not too much of a stretch to think he could pilot it with little trouble.

Rey is a mary sue and we all know it. Rey defenders are either 16 year olds or disney shills.
>>
I was expecting something new, not a retcon of ANH with a transgender luke and a black solo.
>>
>>64276540
>Everyone is judging her character based on a partial picture.

No shit even in a fantasy universe it's just unrealistic for her to beat an ex jedi knight (kylo) that was also in training to become a sith.

It's like saying that anakin would beat obi wan, he was powerful in the force but he wasn't experienced in using his power at the maximum or in sword fighting, same for luke when he first meets vader.

She's just a fucking mary sue, accept it, it's shit writing.
>>
>>64275300
>simple answer
>they made the books non-canon so they didn't have to follow them
>so stop complaining that they didn't follow the books because they're not canon
stopped reading there. moving on.
>>
>>64275091
>almost 2016
>no being a normie
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.