[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the best christian movies? I don't think God's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 11
File: jesus_guido_reni.png (157 KB, 240x356) Image search: [Google]
jesus_guido_reni.png
157 KB, 240x356
What are the best christian movies? I don't think God's notdead is very good.
>>
File: persecuted.jpg (54 KB, 405x600) Image search: [Google]
persecuted.jpg
54 KB, 405x600
>>
>>64272919
Anyone see Last Days in the Desert?
>>
>>64273075
I saw it. It's really good but I think it requires you to be interested of Jesus as a Son of God. It's not that it trys to preach or convert people but it just deals with questions about Jesus that propably don't interest you if you don't have any kind of personal connection to Christianity.
>>
>>64273157
That's odd, I thought it would be more about Jesus the human preacher and how he battles his inner demons versus any big theological, overtly religious themes.
>>
the movie of based mel, and the movie with dafoe
>>
the mission
last temptation of christ
the exorcist
>>
>>64272919
The 50's/60's would be a fucking blast for you.
>>
If you're a Christian you should probably just stop watching movie altogether. They're not going to do you any good. None of them are good anyway.
I just watch documentaries
>>
>>64272919
They don't exist ;)
>>
>>64272919
Christian movies or movies with Christian themes? Ben Hur fits into the latter
>>
Why can't atheists appreciate movies about Christ? The theology should still be interesting in the abstract even if you don't believe.
>>
>>64273599
The Exorcist is more Catholic than Christian.
>>
Fireproof was funny.
>>
>>64272919
Here's some good ones

Andrei Rublev
The Sacrifice
Calvary
Ordet
Ostrov
The Passion of Joan of Arc
To The Wonder
The Tree of Life
Winter Light (I'm not sure if this one counts... It's more agnostic than Christian)
The Agony and the Ecstacy
>>
>>64273365
Yes but i found a big part of it dealt with the conflict of two natures of Christ.
>>
>>64274188
what? how?
>>
File: tips.jpg (49 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
tips.jpg
49 KB, 1280x720
What do you think the average IQ of people who watch christian movies is
>>
>>64274523
Protestants don't really believe in exorcisms tbhwy
>>
>>64272919
Jesus Christ Superstar.
>>
>>64274656
Is this just a meme or is it actually good?
>>
>>64275062

Good? No. Fucking awesome is what it is.
>>
signs
>>
>>64274154
I wouldn't care about what any of these people had to say, the 50's and 60's were the true golden age of cinema, Biblical epics feel transcedental compared to the ultra violent/sexual social schlock from the 70's and 80's
>>
>>64274154
Don't know about Christ, but I do know that my sister's atheist friend loved The Ten Commandments, fucker stayed glued to that film all 3 hours and 30 minutes
>>
Ben-Hur is a fucking masterpiece.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVlf7OiiTJE
>>
>>64272919
The gospel according to st. Matthew
>>
>>64276570
My fucking nigger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqGSBkInaG8
>>
>>64272919

The Great Beauty

Calvary
>>
>>64274391
cross and the switchblade
the robe
>>
>>64275791
The Ten Commandments is fucking transcendental. Everybody should see it, it's a masterpiece. Though of course it's Old Testament I'd say it's an amazing Christian film. And besides Christ is in it, being the Word of Law
>>
>>64277126
That film is literally about the ultimate duel of titans, Charlton Heston is the fucking greatest in that movie, literally the personification of a thunder on-screen.
>>
>>64275791

Her being an atheist and enjoying it doesn't really impress me. Pretty much everybody in modern society is a defacto atheist. You're pretty much taught to be one. There's very little actual thought involved
>>
File: 1448094189011.png (1 MB, 1072x736) Image search: [Google]
1448094189011.png
1 MB, 1072x736
>>64274188
Protestant heathen detected.

There's only one true church and you're not it.
>>
>>64277395

Why would the pope have a wedding ring?
>>
>>64277413
He's married to the word of God
>>
>>64277395

The "true" church that basically pulled purgatory out of their ass to collect more money? You can't even walk into a Catholic church without being greeted by like a hundred graven images.
>>
>>64277389
It's actually a guy, he's fat, hairy and dweeby and probaly autistic, and he's an atheist mostly due to the fact that his mother died and that he's depressed
>>
>>64277450
>pulled purgatory out of their ass

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=biblical+basis+for+purgatory
>>
>>64277442

But God is a man. Is the pope gay?
>>
I expected people laughing at OP for enjoying Gods not Dead, but the real Christmas miracle is the older cult of dead Jewish guy trolling the bejesus out of the newer cult of the dead Jewish guy.

Never change 4chad.
>>
>>64277450
Being a Catholic myself I was always under the impression that the graven images in a church were just representative and indicative of where you are rather than worshipping it, my mom and sister always bitch about that shit, yet I can tell they're being dense as fuck.

I rather be surrounded by a thousand graven images than being surrounded by people screaming at the top of their lungs because they feel like their faith needs to be fucking proclaimed and shouted, even though I'm pretty sure Matthew advises us not to, because that's dumb or something.
>>
>>64277553
OP clearly didn't enjoy God's Not Dead, so he asked for better religious movies.

But the movie does suck. Not as much as the Left Behind remake, though
>>
>>64277650
Oh god, I expected the obvious troll so much I literally couldn't read what was actually said.

Has anyone mentioned any of the stuff like the 7th sign?
>>
>>64277450
Martin Luther surely knew better than the people that were given the keys to heaven, right? Clearly he got it right and no one else a thoussnd years after the fact.

Protestants are revisionist scum disbelievers.
>>
>>64277580
catholics seem to be a little hung about images
my catholic aunt took me to catholic service once, id been to them before so it wasnt anything special for me
she kept insisting that they didnt worship the statues though, that they were there just to focus worship or whatever, while i didnt care that much, religion is religion
>>
>>64277735
I don't normally bother with these slapfights, but uhh...Didn't the organizations that the Catholic Church descended from, first go and wipe out many/most other competing sects of Christianity? Further, didn't Catholic Dogma change considerably through the millenia or so that the church has existed?

I know for a fact that priests were actually encouraged to marry for the first several centuries that the Church existed, for example.

In other words, who gives you authority to tell other believers what is and isn't the correct way to believe in your Christian God?
>>
>>64277735
To further elaborate, isn't there a separatist group forming around repealing Vatican 2 at this very moment, including several priests who claim they will not follow a new pope that does not repeal Vatican 2. Would these people not also be revisionists?
>>
>>64277824
>>64277896
ITT: Revisionist scum and fake Christians
>>
>>64278119
I'm only asking for your honest answers here, do you prescribe to a might makes right philosophy, where the ends prove that the means to those ends were justified and holy?

If so, then, do you not see the new might of the protestant churches as proof that God has abandoned Catholicism?
>>
Why are there so many Catholics on 4chan? Seems like whenever I come across a Christian thread it's full of Catholics
>>
The Prince of Egypt was excellent.
>>
>>64278260
literal meme religion?
>>
File: 1451463391994.jpg (25 KB, 498x500) Image search: [Google]
1451463391994.jpg
25 KB, 498x500
I've noticed something. Is Christian persecution a self fulfilling prophecy? Since we're told that we are going to be persecuted, do we seek out and try to spur on persecution?
>>
>>64278179
Saint Peter was the founder of the Catholic church and had the keys to heaven so the Catholic church is the right church.
>>
>>64278219
Apostolic succession bro.
>>
>>64278368
Okay, so, the vatican 2 question then.

Who's right, the priests taking on the ultimate authority of the pope and the ruling body of Catholicism or the priests who wish to return the Catholic Dogma to its historic roots?
>>
>>64277395
>recent declarations of the pope and Catholic church
>all Jews get to go to heaven, no matter if they've repented or not
>you get to go to heaven even if you aren't saved, just if you're a good person
Oh I'm sure you are enjoying it. Catholicfag.
>>
>>64278425
shit
the priests who oppose the ruling parties and the pope or the priests who believe the ruling bodies and the pope only do the will of God?

Sorry, watching tv and getting distracted...
>>
>>64278335
No, it's just that forces of darkness on earth hate Christians because we aren't beholden to earthly things.
>>
>>64278335
No.

It's 2015 and Christians are still being persecuted, and I'm not talking about fedoras brainwashing people, I'm talking about actual persecution a la Roman Empire, the Muslims are making mincemeat of them in the Old World
>>
>>64278480
People who live in shit areas are learning why that's a bad idea. I don't see the problem with this, unless you also call Tribal persecution when the Lords army rolled up and started murdering people in Africa...
>>
>>64278480
I don't mean Muslims and Christians in the middle East. I mean western christianity.
>>
>>64278425
catholic church history goes back nearly 2000 years, with a lot of intervening events
really, if you want to answer this question 2 millenia after its inception youre not going to get a simple answer
the catholic church is a roman imperial theo - political institution. any schism within the church is a political one
>>
>mfw I bought Ben-Hur on blu-ray
Best fucking decision of my life, such a good release.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChPXI1gJ-yo
>>
>>64278666
Well, I find the question interesting, because as hissy as Catholics get about Martin Luther, his changes were pretty insignificant compared to what was done with Vatican 2...So, I'm really curious what real followers of the religion feel.

It's seriously almost 40 years old, and it's still a topic of red faced screaming matches on the local Catholic radio show that discusses Catholic issues.
>>
>>64279463
But Jesus isn't God
>>
>>64272919
I consider it Christain and it's my favorite "Christian' film so far. 'Thou shalt be a badass and beat thy enemy's shit in' is in the Bible too more or less, (KoH also has respect, tolerance and all that jazz). It gives a break from these Churchian/ 'God is love' movies. No wonder everyone think were all wusses. It's like in South Park when Cartman started that Christian band and they just replaced lyrics of love songs with Christian ones
>>
Don't mind me, just being the only likable depiction of Jesus in film.
>>
>>64272919
Dialy reminder that Christianity is a meme religion and that only memetic people with imdb sensibilities follow it
>>
>>64279215
>martin luther is insignificant compared to vatican 2
not sure if this is serious...
martin luthers reformation sparked a continental cold war that lasted 80 years and created a schism within western christianity that still exists to this day
sure, vatican 2 might ne theologically more impactful, but historically, not so im afraid
>>
>>64278119
>A certain person said, "In the Saint's mausoleum there is a poem that goes :
>"If in one's heart
>He follows the path of sincerity,
> Though he does not pray
>Will not the gods protect him?"

>What is this path of sincerity?"

>A man answered him by saying, ''You seem to like poetry. I will answer you with a poem.

>As everything in this world is but a shame,
> Death is the only sincerity.

>It is said that becoming as a dead man in one's daily living is the following of the path of sincerity."
>-Yamamoto Tsumetomo, Hagakure

>"Now departure from the world of men is nothing to fear, if gods exist: because they would not involve you in any harm. If they do not exist, or if they have no care for humankind, then what is life to me in a world devoid of gods, or devoid of providence? But they do exist, and they do care for humankind: and they have put it absolutely in man's power to avoid falling into the true kinds of harm."
—Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 2.11

If they are then they're wrong/God will deal with them and will go to hell. If they're not and worshipping God/Jesus' salvation etc, and everything else is there, what's the problem?
>>
I'm willing to see the Last Temptation of Christ.
>>
>>64279463
>Explain this shit Bible thumpers.
>Bible thumpers
There's your problem
My post
>>64280271
summarizes my fellings on this subject and even as a Christfag I detest Bible thumping. It's one thing to tell people about the choice they have to serve God if they want. It's another thing to shove God and the Bible into everyones face 24/7
>>
File: saving christmas.jpg (938 KB, 800x1185) Image search: [Google]
saving christmas.jpg
938 KB, 800x1185
>>64272919
Not sure if it counts but Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas was one of the best unintentional comedies of 2014.
>>
>>64280482
>It's another thing to shove God and the Bible into everyones face 24/7

Yeah I agree. I can't blame people for wanting to save someone but people need to find God for themselves. They have to genuinely want it. All you can really do is preach a little and lead them in the right direction
>>
Was A Man of All Seasons mentioned in this thread yet?
>>
File: jesus.jpg (59 KB, 600x405) Image search: [Google]
jesus.jpg
59 KB, 600x405
the passion of the christ
>>
Outside of being raised a Christian, what reason does anyone have for believing in Yahweh?
>>
>>64281950
dunno, why does anyone believe in anything?
maybe you should ask new converts why they converted
>>
>>64273000
>Christians are being persecuted
>In America

KEK
>>
File: Zeus_Yahweh.jpg (81 KB, 372x299) Image search: [Google]
Zeus_Yahweh.jpg
81 KB, 372x299
>>64281950
Being raised a Jew, being raised a Muslim, being raised as a follower of West Semitic polytheism, particularly if you lived in Israel or Judah, of which the divine warrior Yahweh was a patron of.

Modern concepts of Yahweh/Allah/God are all a fusion of three particular West Semitic gods, including the original Yahweh, his alternate name or father El, and good aspects of the one known as Ba'al.
>>
>>64276570
Why didn't the Roman just fucking attack Christ? Why did he just stand there?
What an idiotic scene.
>>
>>64282542

It's almost always some kind of personal unquantifiable experience, like a dream where Jesus appears, or a miraculous recovery from an illness. All very nice, but it doesn't give any reason for someone else to believe in that god.
>>
>>64282870
the reason is that it is the truth
or at least someone beleives its the truth and wants to tell other people about it
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.