[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you feel, /tv/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8
How would you feel, /tv/?
>>
>my feelings are more important the the general structure of the Star Wars universe
>>
Nah, I saw it with my 76 year old grandma and she said "Reya" is Luke's daughter. Must be true. She's old and wise.
>>
>>64265975
My husband's wife hate her.
>>
File: it's a xev episode.jpg (62 KB, 662x566) Image search: [Google]
it's a xev episode.jpg
62 KB, 662x566
>a female friend and casual Star Wars fan
>>
This chick I've known for decades cosplays as Rey every chance she gets. She's always done shit like this, but she really connects to this character in particular and even calls Rey "me".

Why do people do this shit?

No, wait, let me correct myself: why do women do this shit?

I can empathize with a character in fiction without going "omg hes literally me"
>>
>>64265975
>Because then, she's me

Glaringly blatant narcissism. That one guy was right, we're all fucked.
>>
File: 1308855193158.jpg (21 KB, 698x672) Image search: [Google]
1308855193158.jpg
21 KB, 698x672
>>64266034
>>
>>64266076
>half of the people around you have the means to rape/murder you at any time
>most of them have fantasized about it
>people of your own gender are hostile and mean to each other for no real reason
>pop culture tells you that you're a piece a shit no matter how good you look
>to fulfill your main biological/societal purpose you have to born a fucking baby
Yeah, why are women are so insecure and weird, lads?
>>
>I hope Luke was no-one special, because then he's me
>>
>>64266263
That's some solid bait.
>>
>>64266263
Jeez anon, I was just asking why she wants to be the star wars so badly at age 22.

I wanted to be the star wars really bad once too, but I was 9
>>
>>64266316

TELL DAT TO KANJIKCLUB
>>
>>64265975
>wanting to self-insert this hard

JUST FUCK OFF
>>
>>64265975
>normie women
>>
>>64266263
>half of the people around you have the means to rape/murder you at any time
The same can be said for men, you know - the vast majority of rape victims?
>most of them have fantasized about it
Maybe only cunts like you.
>people of your own gender are hostile and mean to each other for no real reason
Sounds like a women problem to me.
>pop culture tells you that you're a piece a shit no matter how good you look
Pop culture is full of strong and resourceful women. Women are almost never villains or blatantly unlikable. In crowd pleases women are literally always good. Name a single female bad person in the entire MCU.
>to fulfill your main biological/societal purpose you have to born a fucking baby
Most feminists still are babies.
>>
>>64266346
women dont grow up, they dont have to
just get married and they're solid for the rest of thier life
>>
>>64266346
She crave the fucking attention and validation, you fucking autist. The only difference is that women are tend to be more balanced and less retarded then men so they do something more practical, like utilizing the biggest media-bubble for their personal needs..
>>
>>64266076
She's literally an expert fighter, pilot, does everything right on the first try and everyone instantly likes her for no reason? Sounds like a keeper, senpai.
>>
>>64266911
She's pretty beat, anon. No amount of "so literally me" can fix that
>>
>>64266034
>My husband's wife hate her.
u muslim?
>>
>>64265975
She's just an ordinary person who can do everything in the Force without training, and better than a person who had trained with the Force for something like twenty-five years (Kylo Ren is thirty and probably started training around five).
>>
>>64266076
You sound like a literal nig.

>>64266140
Nice agreement with yourself.
>>
File: 3101231.jpg (50 KB, 507x338) Image search: [Google]
3101231.jpg
50 KB, 507x338
>>64265975
>having to self insert that hard to like a movie

Can't women do anything right?
>>
Holy shit women are children.
I've never seena movie with "me" in it, and that's fine. I'm not a narcissist. I go to the movies to see fun, unrealistic and charismatic characters. Space smugglers like Han Solo, heros with a great destiny ahead of them, like Luke. Not "me".
>>
>>64265975

People who self insert are worth less as human beings.
>>
>>64265975
self-inserting into a Mary Sue while pretending they're normal is the worst form of self-insertion.
>>
>>64266438
>>64267321
>>64267352
Please go back to r9k
>>
File: 1451449064296.jpg (120 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1451449064296.jpg
120 KB, 1366x768
>>64267393

YOU CAN TELL DAT TUH KANJIKCLUB
>>
>>64265975
I LITERALLY NEED TO BE REPRESENTED IN THIS SPACE FANTASY MONEY GRAB
>>
>>64266009
>my feelings are more important the the general structure of the Star Wars universe

I honestly don't know if I care less about "muh feelings" or the general structure of the Star Wars universe...
>>
>>64265975
>Is she ... nobody special?

I read that article, and this would be incredibly disappointing desu. Their reasoning for it is effectively "making her related to one of the main characters suggests that only that family is able to be great and it isn't achievable for the average person"
>>
>>64268318
Here's the offending passage

>"I hope she's just an ordinary person," a female friend and casual Star Wars fan told me after seeing the movie for the first time. "Because then, she's me."

>That really got me thinking about how elitist all these other possibilities are. Buy into them, and you're basically saying there are just one or two Star Wars family dynasties worth our attention.

>But what if, after a year and a half of assuming that Rey's last name is Skywalker, it turns out that she's just an especially Force-sensitive orphan? Sent to Luke's Jedi Academy for training, perhaps, then taken to Jakku for safe-keeping after the Knights of Ren massacre. Told to remain there in hiding as long as she possibly could, young Rey interpreted the instruction as "my family is coming back."

>Well, then we'd get the far more meritocratic lesson that the Force can be strong with all of us. Some of us can just tap into it better than others, but any kid has the potential to be a Jedi.

>This was what George Lucas was really trying to say with his misguided focus on "midichlorians" — those microscopic creatures were always supposed to be a symptom of Force power, not a cause, and the idea was that the Jedi had created a scientific test to pluck Force-sensitive younglings out of the galactic herd.

>I don't think any screenwriter will ever dare write a line of dialogue revealing that Rey is just "someone with a high midichlorian count," but that may be effectively what we're looking at. It would explain why her lightsaber vision includes snatches from Yoda, Kenobi and the Skywalker clan. She has simply taken her first step into a larger world.
>>
>>64268341
>That really got me thinking about how elitist all these other possibilities are.

This triggered me
>>
File: trash.png (464 KB, 878x900) Image search: [Google]
trash.png
464 KB, 878x900
>>64268341

What absolute twaddle.
>>
>>64266034
piss off back to brit
>>
What is it about gummy English chicks with big teeth that makes my dick so hard.

Felicity Jones is another one.
>>
File: tv in a nutshell.jpg (84 KB, 1028x525) Image search: [Google]
tv in a nutshell.jpg
84 KB, 1028x525
>>64266076
>No, wait, let me correct myself: why do women do this shit?
About that..
>>
>>64265975
She was SUCH a freaking Mary Sue.

Like, I can KIND of understand Ooga Boyega's competence with a light saber considering the fact that he's ex-military and all; but you're going to sit there in your fancy director's seat and tell me this scrapyard sandy chick can just pick up a gun or a sword and just blast everything to bits like some sort of Navy SEAL?

Han Solo and Chewie are seasoned veterans. They can shoot a tin can from half a mile away with their eyes closed.

Black Guy is an ex-storm trooper. Storm troopers are established to be fearsome, well-trained soldiers of the First Order.

Pilot guy is a confirmed hot-shot pilot that can fly anything, and everything, with relative ease. Pilot guy is the defacto "wunderkind." HE'S the ONE Mary Sue in this entire movie, and that's acceptable, because what he's known for is flying. We don't see him taking potshots at storm troopers with his blaster like they're sitting fucking ducks. We don't see him judo-flipping everyone in hand-to-hand combat. Pilot guy FLIES, and for only having that initial skill, he's DAMN good at it.

So what the fuck is this "Rey" girl's problem? Okay, so she shoots highly efficient storm troopers like she's a fucking pro. Maybe she had to learn to shoot starting from a young age on that desert planet of hers? Except that's not the case, because her signature weapon is a fucking bo staff, and fighting people with her bo staff is her signature move.

She also knows how to work with gadgets, which I'm giving her a tentative pass for, considering the fact that she spends the majority of her day hanging around junk heaps and whatnot.

But that doesn't explain how she manages to fly star ships so well. She was never a pilot. All she did was shout I'm "I'M A PILOT," and the skill just fell in her lap like nothing. The only thing she has that's even CLOSE to a star ship is her little levitating motorbike. I'm calling bullshit. Don't even get me started on her force shit...

Ridics.
>>
>>64266348
Keep trying, I really believe in you anon
>>
>>64268776

Being completely assburger and stomping the shit out of a head in a fit of autism rage isn't what i would call normal.
>>
Not sure why she gets so much flac in this thread. Is it not natural to empathise with people who are more like you, and don't have magical superpowers that can fix everything?
>>
>>64266140
Shit's ridiculous, people used to want heros they could look up to, flawed heros but heros nonetheless.
Why not just have Rey in Episode 8 obsessed over some teen guy, always playing with her hair, and reading soke shitty fanfiction.
>>
>>64268941

Everyone seeks out certain characters in a way that might resemble them but there's a line when it becomes sad and narcissistic.

You sit there hoping the character turns out average Joe because THEN you can fully inject yourself into the role that's when you went off the deep end.
>>
>>64268800
settle down Landis
>>
I feel like the core problem hasn't been addressed in this thread, because it has nothing to do with narcicism:

Usually magical super-human powers are a fictional symbolic extension of human values like courage and endurance, so wanting to see these things eliminated from the context shows a certain form of virtue-laziness.
>>
>>64268800
She has a piloting master, can swing a sword like McGregor and her force magic is on high lvl
I think It's to early to freak out, she clearly has some backstory, but seeing as TFA is clearly trying to attract woman (succesfully) they wanted to make her as casual as possible.
I really hope they will give her more hardships (and, you know, hurt her because that part where only guys get his is meh)
>>
>>64265975
>because then, she's me

Whoever said this is an ugly landwhale. I'd stake my life on it.
>>
>>64269023
Just wanted to say that these were my original opinions that I came up with on my own, and I only ever heard Max Landis' rant when you mentioned it.
>>
>>64267509
hello reddit
>>
>>64266076
Same reason you got a waifu
>>
File: 1446745747915.jpg (76 KB, 424x653) Image search: [Google]
1446745747915.jpg
76 KB, 424x653
>>64266438
This, women are just children in large chubby bodies, that's why they understand children much better than men and have no issue with throwing temper tantrums or wasting time giddily playing with babies.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.