[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lack of mainstream psychedelic movies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: 5eVqU.jpg (256 KB, 1150x719) Image search: [Google]
5eVqU.jpg
256 KB, 1150x719
Why aren't there any abstract druggy movies with intense trippy visuals, and I don't mean visual effects ego masturbation I mean well designed psychedelic style visuals?

Like the ending of 2001 A Space Odyssey and stuff?

A cinematic experience every stoner and drug user would wait in line for days to go see right after toking up or dropping a few tabs. Would this succeed in the box office? Would it not be shown in any theaters?

I want a cinematic experience. Imagine if this was in 3d I mean HOLY SHIT. Do independent people make stuff like this? I want a 3d TV just for this type of stuff but where is it?
>>
>>64262601
Ant Man bro.
>>
>>64263931
Are you serious lol
>>
>>64263980
Did you watch it? Theres some hella trippy scenes at the end.
>>
Every movie is drug movie if you're on the right substance.
>>
>>64263980
He's right. The quantum realm was aesthetic as fuck
>>
Have you seen Enter the Void?
>>
Some movies I've recently had a trip and a half while watching high:

Ponyo
Apocalypse Now
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Neverending Story

My classic suggestion for a psychadelic stoner comedy is The Big Lebowski if you haven't seen it
>>
>>64264038
No I didn't I just assumed you were joking because the commercials looked dumb as fuck to me lol. I'll give it a look
>>
>>64264149
Yeah I don't mean comedy though or like real life movies. I mean really trippy visuals, lava lamp on screen multiplied in weirdness 1000x
>>
>>64264149
regards: retard who never done acid
>>
no go away stoner films just died out stop trying to ruin movies with so trippy mane poop blunts wuzzzzuuuup films

I thought music festivals were around to keep the retards coraled
>>
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1534085/

Don't expect it to make any sense though.
>>
>>64264231
fuck off straigth edger
>>
Limitless is the best drug movie of the last 20 years.

it was just not marketed as a drug movie and it doesn't fall into the drug movie cliche of having the third act be his downfall.

And to answer OP's question there is a lack of psychedelic movies today because people aren't doing LSD anymore (LSD today is just research chemicals).

Small movies that cost 20-40 mil don't get made as much anymore. Those were often the psychedelic movies and 'stoner comedies'. The only bankable stoner is Dude. Weed. LMAO guy and only because his shit is the most generic.
>>
Barbarella
>>
>>64264260
Kevin Smith. But his stuff isn't really stoner/psychadelic, even if he is a stoner.

Does Lynch count as psychadelic? I know surealism and psychadelic aren't really the same, but idk... there's something about his work that feels really trippy, even if it's only in a dream/nightmare kind of way.
>>
>>64264250
Name the title newfag.

Check out Dario Argentos films.
>>
>>64264206
Barbarella. No, really. I'm not kidding.
>>
>>64264206
Panic Room is fun as fuck, and so is Fight Club.

Cinematography tricks are one way to trip out i find.
>>
>>64264423
New? I've been here for a long time, bro.

Maybe you're new, if you can't even follow a simple imdb link.

Argento? Fuck no. Lucio Fulci is where it's at. You're a retard.
>>
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 500x323) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 500x323
>>64264251
Jokes on you I'm an alcoholic
>>
>>64264507
>fulchi
Haha out of the 6 fulchi movies i've seen 5 of them were shitty.
>>
>>64264507
Yeah new.

Terry Gilliam films are worth checking out.
>>
THE MAGIC MOUNTAIN
>>
File: mystery-strange-ew-001-164050.jpg (108 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
mystery-strange-ew-001-164050.jpg
108 KB, 800x600
>>64263931
Maybe not Ant-Man but apparently Marvel does plan to deliver something with Dr. Strange.

>Marvel Studios’ Kevin Feige told the magazine: “When this comic appeared in the early ’60s, it really informed, in a way that is pretty amazing, a lot of the psychedelic ’60s as we know it. I don’t know that they were doing anything weird in the bullpen in Marvel, but certainly the stuff they were doing inspired all those people who were doing mind-expansion experiments at the time. So, that’s inherent to the property. And that’s our mission statement for the visual effects on this movie.”
>>
>>64262601
beyond the black rainbow
>>
>>64264111
>The quantum realm was aesthetic as fuck
torrenting now.
also, that one scene of interstellar is the only good part of the movie
>>
>>64265237
>>Marvel Studios’ Kevin Feige told the magazine: “When this comic appeared in the early ’60s, it really informed, in a way that is pretty amazing, a lot of the psychedelic ’60s as we know it. I don’t know that they were doing anything weird in the bullpen in Marvel, but certainly the stuff they were doing inspired all those people who were doing mind-expansion experiments at the time. So, that’s inherent to the property. And that’s our mission statement for the visual effects on this movie.”
is this true? did they accomplish what morrison can only dream of?
>>
Altered States
>>
basically everything by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Fricke
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.