[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've seen some justifications for Rey's treatment as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
I've seen some justifications for Rey's treatment as a character, and how she does have an arc. I guess I can see it.

It's just not satisfying, though, at least not to me. There doesn't seem to be any emotional weight behind it. Her changing, her growing. When she freaked out about Luke's lightsaber and runs from her 'destiny,' everything in the movie is conveying that this should be a big, emotional deal, but I didn't feel it.

Fuck, there is actually a lot in this movie that seems set up to elicit emotion, but I didn't feel anything.
>>
why does everyone have to have a character arc?
>>
>>64260660

That's the only way you get people to relate, and feel invested in, someone's story

>I'm perfect and do anything I want and beat anyone I want

that does nothing for an audience, in any form of media
>>
>>64260660
She has no genuine arc.
>>
File: Daisy_Ridley_SWTFA.jpg (50 KB, 620x565) Image search: [Google]
Daisy_Ridley_SWTFA.jpg
50 KB, 620x565
>>64260523
When did Russell Brand start xer transition to the other side of the force?
>>
>>64260679
>I'm perfect and do anything I want and beat anyone I want
that's not really what she is though. she's just kind of along for the ride. reminds me of vaan in final fantasy 12, you play as a blank slate and the other characters are the real people driving the story and plot. I saw rey as a self insert/avatar for the viewer.
>>
>>64260523
Her acting is one of the few great things in this movie. Her character is okay, just a bit too capable.
>>
>>64260775

she got BB8 out

saved some people's asses

distracted Kylo during the assault

then beat him

and went on the important mission to Luke

I'd say her influence was the most significant dude
>>
>>64260679
But she does have one, anon
She goes from waiting for a family she isn't certain will ever come back, to becoming entangled in galactic affairs, to being awakened to the force, to figuratively and literally seizing her destiny in the form of Anakin's lightsaber
>>
>>64260679

Han Solo didn't have an arc, but people love him.
>>
>>64261157
lazy bait
>>
>>64260660
>why does the protaganist need a character arc
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.