[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is edgy humor becoming passé?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7
File: Daniel-Tosh---Shot_2-12976.png (547 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
Daniel-Tosh---Shot_2-12976.png
547 KB, 500x501
is edgy humor becoming passé?
>>
>>64259910
humor in general is

the PC train ruined it for everybody
>>
>>64260184
Its not the PC train, it's just been done since forever and lost its edge. "edgy" for the sake of being edgy is now hacky and cringy.
>>
File: 150507-news-amy-schumer.jpg (49 KB, 349x509) Image search: [Google]
150507-news-amy-schumer.jpg
49 KB, 349x509
vaginer
>>
>>64259910
I like Anthony Jeselnick (however you spell it) but I've always hated Tosh. It's not just that I don't find him funny, it's that stupid shit eating grin he always has, like he's saying "Ooh, yeah. I'm naughty. I say bad words and racist things. I'm a bad boy".

Him and Seth Mcfarland both have this air about them where they seem to think they're incredibly smart, but their comedy is some of the lowest I've ever seen. Jeselnick you can at least tell puts effort into writing his jokes.
>>
>>64260184
I think we are reaching diminishing returns on humor.
We have made great progress in the last 50 years, but I highly doubt the next 50 will be as entertaining.
>>
File: nathan.jpg (122 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
nathan.jpg
122 KB, 1920x1080
Deadpan is the new patrician form of comedy
>>
>>64260599
I'm not sure if I hope for a Buster Keaton revival or not. I think people would love his movies, but I don't really want normies who don't deserve Buster to know about him.
>>
>>64260249
not all humor is edgy, except now it is because OH MAN SOMEBODY MIGHT GET OFFENDED

>>64260467
I dunno man. Its that whole "X movie couldnt be made today" thing. The options have been narrowed down so much that whats left has already been done. So in some respect, youre right.
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 303x433) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 303x433
Tosh is passé. He just doesn't fucking try anymore
>>
>>64260424

I was first made aware of him through his show, which I hate. His stand-up is top notch, though. The shit-eating grin is so powerful you can hear it even if you're just listening to audio.
>>
>>64260787
this, why hasn't Tosh had another stand-up special yet, both of the ones I've seen have been hilarious despite his show being anywhere from godawful to passable
>>
File: 1447861105358.jpg (116 KB, 1024x1006) Image search: [Google]
1447861105358.jpg
116 KB, 1024x1006
>>64260599
>tfw Nathan For You is the only show that makes me legitimately laugh anymore
>>
File: Impractical_Jokers_Title.png (222 KB, 416x233) Image search: [Google]
Impractical_Jokers_Title.png
222 KB, 416x233
>>64260893
Never watched Nathan For You, but I have the same feeling for this show.
>>
>>64260733
humor has always worked that way. PC thugness used to come from christian conservatives, now it's the loony left. The sides switch places every few years.
>>
I can't watch this shit because of all the snapping bones/backs/etc they've shown. Why does that bother me so much when watching people get executed is nothing and watching them literally BTFO is only mildly disturbing.

Hate that fucking shock gore shit.
>>
I'm "le epic jaded/post-modern" like the rest of the aging 20something 4chan crowd, and personally, for me it is gross out humor that still gets a laugh.

I smoked a blunt with my cousin last week and he turned on Bear Grylls. It was a compilation episode of the scenes of him eating gross shit and it made me laugh the way I did when i first got high. The way the editing made it escalate throughout the episode, the way he killed a snake by whipping around in a circle and bashing its head in, the fucking dead zebra, it was like Freddy Got Fingered kinda humor, but unintentional. I dunno, nothing makes me laugh anymore but that sure did.

Psychologists have confirmed that sense of humor is determined by conditioning, we've sentenced ourselves to years of humorlessness by browsing 4chan all this time. We're all fucked.
>>
>>64260922
shit taste senpai
>>
File: 1359403196635.gif (998 KB, 315x145) Image search: [Google]
1359403196635.gif
998 KB, 315x145
>>64260922
>it's a they make Murr cry episode
>>
>>64261096
I saw one where a guy was walking around with his intestines hanging out
it was blurred but still, pretty fucked up
>>
>>64260732
Even if people didn't find it funny, what he did was fucking impressive even to normies
>>
>>64261255
>muh taste
whatever. Its a hilarious show just about mates trying to make a fool out of one another
>>
>>64260424
>Him and Seth Mcfarland both have this air about them where they seem to think they're incredibly smart, but their comedy is some of the lowest I've ever seen.

So they're smart enough to make millions by pandering to idiots?

Also, Tosh's stand up shits all over Jeselnik. Jeselnik's act has not evolved since the initial 5 minute routine he wrote. He's barely conceived any new jokes in over 5 years.
>>
It's just you getting older and bored because you've seen it before.
>>
Is this still on?
I always thought it was wierd seeing 'internet stuff' on tv.
I'm guessing thats why a majority of shows died out. People who actually want to watch that shit watch it online, not on tv.

Sucks that we lost X-Play and Attack of the Show and the others.
It was fun while it lasted.
>>
>>64265087
It's that, but it seems that everything is just copying everything else these days; the second something new breaks through everyone rushes to copy it and then it just becomes mediocre ie how capeshit went from being "oh realistic Batman, that's novel" to "OMG Thor fistbumped Wonder Women after the credits, can't wait for the next one!!1!".

Dunno what that is for comedy these days though, haven't watched much recent stuff.
>>
>>64260733
>not all humor is edgy, except now it is because OH MAN SOMEBODY MIGHT GET OFFENDED

not really, most humor is try hard pc edgy
for example:
man those black people(or as the racist people call them "niggers"*the comedian says the word nigger to show people they're not PC*) sure dont like chicken! ha ha isnt that funny? arent you offended?
>>
>>64260735
He has the highest rated show on comedy network, that beat both colbert and stewart. The show is now syndicated. He focused more on that showthen pure stand up, big fuckig deal.
>>
Comedy is definitely struggling.
Even if edgy humour mostly sucks, it has a right to exists.
Making cracks at a few things like race or religion doesn't instantly make something edgy though.
It mostly depends on context, something that SJWs forget exist.
>>
>>64265230
Nah PC edgy is tearing down someone like Bill Cosby or saying blanket political statements that accuse a majority of being racist/assholes.
>>
>>64265371
The problem with SJWs is that they refuse to 'work inside of the script.' Undermining the script from the outside isn't funny it's just annoying
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.