[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Star Trek 2009 Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Both JJ films,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: startrekstarwars.jpg (153 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
startrekstarwars.jpg
153 KB, 720x720
Star Trek 2009
Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Both JJ films, both reboots of dead sci-fi franchises.

Which one did JJ do a better job on and which one was the better film?

For me I honestly think Star Trek 2009 despite shitting a lot on Star Trek lore wise, was actually a more creative, fun and original film than Force Awakens.
>>
>>64251452
Star Trek 2009
>>
God, he fucked them both up.

How did jj convince people to give him 9000 billion dollars and to reboot both star wars and star trek?

How the fuck?
>>
They were the same movie.
>>
File: 1401277822201.jpg (38 KB, 450x240) Image search: [Google]
1401277822201.jpg
38 KB, 450x240
>>64251452
>cop out time travel plot #278
>more creative, fun and original
>>
>>64251452
Of course it was. Not even a question. Also why Into Darkness is not just a shitty film, but also massive let down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKFUZ10Wmbw

FIRE EVERYTHING!
>>
>>64251531
Because they knew they'd get a return in investment

These are highly successful movies you know
>>
>>64251452

Star Trek movies are shit. Generic as fuck action movies with Star Trek glued to the title for marketing.

And Star Wars sure was dead when it was making 1.5 billion $ per year in merch sales.
>>
>>64251531

Shut up fatty
>>
>>64251609

Star Trek movies are not successful at all. 400 million $ box office is shit these days. They barely made any money.
>>
https://youtu.be/IuYhjAXIAro
>>
>>64251609
That's what I mean though. It's not really true. Besides lost jj hasn't done shit and lost sucked. So wtf
>>
>>64251531
When will you give up? Face it. You lost. The entire world, even your precious youtube parasites aka reviewers loved TFA. I consider myself a Star Trek fan, and I hated nuTrek. But even I admit JJ did a good job with TFA. JJ directorial sensibilities suits star wars more than star trek. In conclusion, give it up. You are sounding like that Linkin Park song playing on repeat now.
>>
>>64251648
Star Trek Reboot at least captured the cheesyness and feeling of TOS. It was a fun campy adventure movie with great setpieces (I would argue better ones than TFA especially the opening on the Kelvin)

The Force Unleashed just felt soulless and hollow, like it was designed by focus testing Star Wars fanboys.
>>
>>64251800

Star Trek movie should feel more like Interstellar or The Martian than a generic action flick in space.

And guess what? Interstellar and The Martian made much more money. Without a brand name.
>>
>>64251531

I just saw despecialized IV and V. TFA did an amazing job capturing the feeling of OT.
>>
Star Trek 2009, marginally, but let's be honest: between Star Trek and Star Wars, JJ Abrams has proven he's a real Star Destroyer.
>>
>>64251858
I agree, but that doesn't make Star Trek itself a bad movie, Star Trek is a really fun campy action adventure movie with great setpieces and you can tell everyone had fun making it, there was also great chemistry between the actors and better writing in general.

TFA is basically ANH with "Star Wars memes" thrown into it with a little development of the characters and has many parts that are kind of tedious. Star Trek was also far more consistent with characters and setting in it's own film, where Star Wars was all over the place especially with Rey (and lesser Finn)
>>
Star Wars was not dead the way Star Trek was. By the time that movie came out, there had been multiple dud movies and hundreds of episodes of TV shows exploring the universe. There were a bunch of stories people were dying to see. In that sense, like the first 30 minutes of Star Trek were fine. Then it got into time traveling and turned into complete shit.

The Force Awakens was about a story people were literally waiting 30 years to see, and they fucked it up. I guess Star trek is arguably more creative, since TFA just copies the plot of A New Hope, but neither one is fun or original.

Both shit on the franchise, so I choose neither as the better FILM.
>>
>>64251784
Is this a pasta
>>
>>64252031
yea, the guy took 'star wars' way too literally. next movie will have luke walking in the sky and shit
>>
>>64251452
>Star Wars and Star Trek
>dead sci-fi franchises.
LOL NO
>>
>>64251784
But in the end, it doesn't even matter.
>>
>TFA
>reboot

in what universe is a direct sequel a "reboot"?
>>
File: mfw her story.jpg (81 KB, 491x450) Image search: [Google]
mfw her story.jpg
81 KB, 491x450
>>64251452
As somebody who has always prefered Star Trek, I can honestly say JJ did a much better job with Star Wars. Because he actually gave half of a shit.

The Force Awakens was fanservice. It pandered to what the fans wanted and tried it's hardest to be like the original Star Wars trilogy.

Star Trekk 2009 didn't give a fuck about me, it didn't give a fuck about why I liked Star Trek. It just took the recognizeable brand and made a dumb as bricks action movie out of it. It's competently made, but without any attempts at making me feel good about it.

At least The Force Awakens actually wanted fans to be happy after they left the theatre.
>>
>>64252103
correct

the term is "zombie franchise"
>>
>>64251724
> A profit after advertising of $150 million surely isn't worth the investment for a movie producer

That is what you said. But what you sounded like was:

> "Give me back my snack pack, Greg!"
>>
>>64251784
Not long enough to be pasta worthy,
>>
>>64251452
I'd say The Force Awakens.

I just can't give a pass to star ships in Trek being made planet-side.
>>
>>64251784

No, JJ got TFA wrong.

Star Wars is an epic poem in film form. The OT and PT alike feature a sort of rhythm, an overwritten sort of bloatedness meant to raise the material up.

TFA, like anything else Abrams does, never rises above mere prose, and the setting feels so much smaller that it doesn't even have an epic scope. It feels like everything's happening in the same star system; there's no sense of travel time anywhere, no room to breathe or take in anything, and even the destruction of the Hosnian system feels so much smaller than the destruction of Alderaan.

This isn't space opera, it's just an action movie. There's no opera anywhere in it in any sense.
>>
The Kanjiklub scene made me cringe hard
>>
>>64252383

Everything about the rathtars scene is absolute garbage. The lead-up, the scene itself, and the aftermath.

The last time I saw anything that stupid and awful was the Holiday Special.
>>
File: chris.jpg (130 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
chris.jpg
130 KB, 1920x1080
Uh, yes. Gomenasai, Solo-chan, I am from the Kanji Club. It seems you have been, uh, skipping lessons. Not very Nihongo of you to neglect education, like that.

I'm afraid you must learn 50 new symbols before the next meeting, or you'll have to face my katana.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.