[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did you know as a kid who this man really was?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
File: _1413419123.jpg (33 KB, 600x342) Image search: [Google]
_1413419123.jpg
33 KB, 600x342
Did you know as a kid who this man really was?
>>
>>64249407
Yes
>>
>>64249407
yes, my friend didn't though

but then he got diagnosed with autism so go figure
>>
It's so fucking obvious. The script is so shit it reveals it implicitly through the dialogue
>>
>>64249407
Yes, because THEY HAVE THE SAME FUCKING NAME.

Also, i always thought Palpatine was a one-word name. Its a children's space opera. He doesn't need a first name.
>>
>>64249407

No. I saw the movies in order (1 when I was 7, 2 when I was 8, 3-6 when I was 10) , so finding out that Palpatine was a Sith Lord blew my mind.
>>
>>64249407
I over looked the face that the prequels were about Anakin becoming Vader.
6 year old me barely understood what episode 4-6 was truly about.
>>
I used to read the books a lot, so no.
>>
>>64249977
It was never meant to be a secret, just like we all knew Anikan would eventually become Darth Vader. The mystery was in HOW Anikan became vader and HOW Palpatine rose to power. But instead of focusing solely on those aspects, Lucas made a fucking political Romeo & Juliet.
>>
I thought he had an evil clone
>>
>>64249407
Yeah, my big sister spoiled that for me weeks before the movie came out.
>>
File: 1449971457828.jpg (105 KB, 684x606) Image search: [Google]
1449971457828.jpg
105 KB, 684x606
No and I thought the whole three movies that the prequels were in fact a very long, very boring sequel and Anakin was luke's son.

Then he became darth vader and I almost imploded in confusion and after everything I think I got brain damaged and never was the same kid. The prequels ruined me.
>>
Yeah, my dad told me he was the emperor.

I had no idea how he knew that though
>>
>>64249977
All you have to do is read the casting credits to figure out the emperor and Palpatine are the same actors.
I don't think it was meant to be a secret
>>
>>64250714
>it aint sheev starts playing
>>
>>64249407
I didn't know his name was Sheev tho

:^(
>>
>>64250704
What about Yoda and Obi Wan?
I call bullshit, but that is a dank story nonetheless
>>
File: 1447022397502.png (187 KB, 382x359) Image search: [Google]
1447022397502.png
187 KB, 382x359
>>64250830

I'm 21 now. I was very, very young back then.

And I never watched a new hope, for some reason it was fucking rare to find it on blockbuster here in Brazil, I didn't know who obi wan really was. I just watched the empire strike back and the return of the jedi when I watched both prequels.
>>
>>64250043
The name of the Emperor was never given in the movies though.
>>
>>64250971

>Brazil

Yeah I can totally see that, most people here don't really know shit about Star Wars, in my family I think only my cousin knows the canon besides me, and I myself only know the canon because I keep making fun of it on the internet
>>
>>64249407
Are you 15 or something? How old were you when the prequels came out?
>>
>>64251033
>I hope so, Commander, for your sake
>Sheev Palpatine is not as forgiving as I am
>>
I knew when the movie came out, I was 10. Wasn't very hard, the Star Wars figures at the time listed the Emporer figure as "Emporer Palpatine".
>>
>>64251033
>he didn't have the Sheev action figure growing up

What was it like being poor?
>>
>>64251063

People here just don't give a fuck. I watched a new hope when I was 14 and had more brain.

It took the episode seven to hit on theaters in order for me to find out that my dad is kind of a star war fanboy in his own casual way, he watched the originals on the movies with my mother and shit and he know the canon. Then the fact that he and his friend tried to push me some star wars related toys back when I was a little boy started making sense, but I was not interested in any of them. He just thought that I never really liked SW to begin with and it kind of died.
>>
File: Palpatine_is_evil.jpg (22 KB, 560x275) Image search: [Google]
Palpatine_is_evil.jpg
22 KB, 560x275
>>64251033
>The name of the Emperor was never given in the movies though.

"Anakin! Chancellor Palpatine is evil!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37Q0fx5r-H8

You're retarded.
>>
>>64251684
>Jedi master, i'm chancellor

what did he mean by this
>>
>>64251684

He was obviously referring to the original trilogy pleb
>>
>>64251812
You* said in the movies, you never said OT. You're a pleb retard.
>>
>>64249407
It was on the back of a cereal box.
>>
Of course I did. The moment I saw him on screen I said "hey look! He's the senate!"
>>
Of course I did. The moment I saw him on screen I said, "It's treason, then."
>>
>>64250784
Because that was just used for the first time a little over a year ago you stupid memespewer
>>
>>64249407

S H E E V
H
E
E
V
>>
>>64249407
in Episode 1 I didnt, but Episode 2 I could tell by his chin
>>
>>64250273
>Lucas made a fucking political Romeo & Juliet.
what else would it be? its a tragic love story about the fall of a great warrior. and wars are more than just battles, politics is one side of the coin.
>>
>>64249407
Of course since I had seen the OT beforehand and recognized the actor.
>>
>>64250066
A sith LORD?!
>>
>>64250043
>they have the same name
But he was never called anything other than the Emperor in the OT (when was he first called Darth Sidious, actually?)
>>
Psh, yeah. Buncha little kids in this thread.
>>
>>64253838
His toys have been calling him Palpatine since the 80s. Yeah, it's not in the movies, but it wasn't a secret either.
>>
>>64249407

I was like 25 when episode one came out.
>>
>>64253838
>when was he first called Darth Sidious

Don't the Trade Federation people call him Lord Sidious near the start of #1?
Regardless, the words "Palpatine" and "Sidious" are not in #4-6 anywhere.
>>
I only watched them as kids and didn't care about story only about action so my question is was the audience supposed to know palpatine was the evil sith behind it all
>>
>>64255091
yes
>>
No, I was retarded. My friend told me he knew the plot before ROTS came out and that Palpatine was evil, but that he got killed by Mace Windu and then Sidious showed up and killed Windu and turned Anakin to the dark side. remember being genuinely shocked at the theater when his face got melted. Nearly dropped my crab legs.
>>
Why would anyone try to make it a surprise? We knew it was the same actor.
>>
>>64255167
kek
>>
>>64249407
Everyone knew who everyone(important) was and what was going to happen to them.

Everyone knew what was going to happen to Obi Wan
Everyone knew what was going to happen to Anakin
Everyone knew what was going to happen to Sheev
Everyone knew what was going to happen to Yoda
Everyone knew what was going to happen to R2D2 and 3CPO

It makes their arcs uninteresting, therefore the correct order to watch is chronological.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.