[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Undoubtedly the best character in the film. Great chemistry with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 9
File: NEg7ii1Ugqsxjg_3_b.jpg (70 KB, 600x316) Image search: [Google]
NEg7ii1Ugqsxjg_3_b.jpg
70 KB, 600x316
Undoubtedly the best character in the film. Great chemistry with the rest of the cast. Capable of being both funny and dramatic. Clearly defined, believable character development (went from running away from the First Order to standing up to Kylo Ren "Come and get it"). Tons of heart.

The question is where do they go next with his character? Is he force sensitive? He could end up being one of the best characters in the SW Canon if they play their cards right.
>>
BIG
>>
>>64242714

>believable character development

Nope.com
>>
>>64242792
>that part where bogeya and the fighter pilot hug and laugh with each other

Felt way too forced. Like JJ saw the plinket review and wanted to ape the relationship of han and luke from the old movies.
>>
>>64242792
>HEY BRO IM GETTING YOU OFF THIS SHIP BRO
>WHY?
>OK!
>WE"RE BEST BROS NOW!

the interaction between those two was so painful to watch
>>
File: poe.png (2 MB, 832x1216) Image search: [Google]
poe.png
2 MB, 832x1216
>>64242714
he wasnt funny when he was supposed to be telling a joke

his character fell apart after he started murdering his brothers in arms with Z E R O hesitation after getting traumatized by O N E massacre like 5 minutes earlier

poe was less of a character but at least he didnt contradict himself. if he had gotten more screen time hed be undisputed GOAT
>>
>>64242714
>Not a scrawny skelly lord
>Not a roided up 6pack god
>Chubby regular guy

i liked it

>inb4 fuck off fatty
>>
>>64242714
>Clearly defined, believable character developmen

that's not true though, he's the worse written character. he has the characteristics of a random guy you'd meet at a bar, but his backstory is that of a person take from birth who has been indoctrinated into a cult since he was a little boy. all he would have known was the first order. going out into the real world, he'd be a stoic, awkward, fish out of water character. but as it is in the movie, he acts as if he was wasn't taken from birth and raised in a military barracks. there's a harsh and jarring disconnected between how he behaves and how the movie presents him to us.
>>
>>64242867
ones in the interest of self preservation and the other is the killing of innocents
>>
>>64242871
He's probably actually fairly fit, just short.
>>
>>64242867
>his character fell apart after he started murdering his brothers in arms with Z E R O hesitation after getting traumatized by O N E massacre
He's fighting for his life. He didn't actively hunt storm troopers, they're hunting him and he kills some in an attempt to run away
>>
Who was the old guy with the map at the start? I feel like he was someone from the original trilogy that time hasn't allowed me to recognize.
>>
>>64242965
hot copypasta, pham
>>
>/tv/ spends months bitching about black stormtrooper and ugly Jewish villain
>they end up being the best characters in the movie
Why is /tv/ always wrong?
>>
>>64242714
Best character: BB-8
Best romance: Poe/Finn (aka Pinn)
>>
>>64242964
Just some village elder. I think it explains in some visual guide book or something that hes a member of a church of people that beliebe in and follow the Force but cant use it.
>>
>>64243012
they're not the best characters tho

the best and only memorable character was still han. finn and kylo were just annoyong, poe had no screen time, and rey has no personality.
>>
>>64243020
Really? Figured since he knew Ben he might have been an old rebel friend of the family.
>>
>>64242939
I mean I'm not saying hes particularly fat

but he's certainly no calvin klien model

maybe the clothes were deciving, idk
>>
>>64243060
I'm going with the assumption that he was some trusted companion of Luke that lead some common folk in believing in the Force.
>>
>>64242927
>>64242956
theres a difference between killing someone who's trying to kill you and being uneasy and conflicted about it--which i could live with since itd make a lot more sense--and another to be whopping and cheering about it with some guy you literally just met

he went 180 way too fucking quickly. the opening should have been him being a cold prick to poe and saying he needed a pilot and then looking scared when he was in the TIE

then later you can initiate the bromance
>>
>>64243012
Because /tv/ is full of reactionary, contrarian arseholes who can never admit to enjoying something popular

Hence the fanatical obsession with Reddit
>>
File: 1418062905964.png (642 KB, 996x1024) Image search: [Google]
1418062905964.png
642 KB, 996x1024
I so desperately want him to become a Badass Normalâ„¢ and leave all the space magic shit to Rey and Ren. Unfortunately he'll continue to be a lovable, harmless goofball because if he becomes too competent he'll steal everyone else's thunder and we can't have that.
>>
>>64242714
>"Come and get it"
>comes charging towards him with it
Sigh.

But yeah, he was probably the best character.

>>64242867
What joke?

The whole point was that he grew from a coward into a warrior. Though he also defected because he realized he was working for the bad guys.
>>
>>64243173
>implying Finn and Poe wont be badass regular guy duo akin to Han and Chewie (although Chewie is pretty strong)
>>
>>64243151
So you wanted him to be a different character entirely? Finn with his enthusiasm was the one character that made TFA feel like an adventure film. Having a PTSD moment would just come across as tonally inappropriate for what this film is going for.
>>
>>64243173
I hope he does become competent though. I feel like Finn, Poe, and Rey both have potential to have strengths in different areas.
>Poe is a top-notch pilot
>Rey has the space magic
>Finn is skilled in direct combat, ranged or melee

That's what I want to see happen, at least.
>>
He was genuinely enjoyable. Probably the second most enjoyable next to han.

I felt his development moved way too fast since by the time we meet him, he's already struggling and pretty much decided what he was doing was wrong.

I also thought his bromance with poe moved too fast to where it happened pretty instantly.
>>
File: sanitation worker.png (1 MB, 2078x1039) Image search: [Google]
sanitation worker.png
1 MB, 2078x1039
I chuckled when he gave Han that look when he was asked if he knew where the garbage disposal was so they could throw Captain Phasma in it.
Also when he duped the entire resistance into attacking a weak point that he just made-up so he could get on the planet to try and save Rey, saying it would all be okay because they'd just use "The Force". The delivery by Han of "That's not how the Force works!" was brilliant.
He was a decent character, better than I expected. But I really really don't want him to be Rey's love interest like he seems to desperately want to be. I'm glad she referred to him as "friend" at the end.
>>
>>64243277
>do you want the character to make sense or the movie to make no sense and be an epic adventure film that's what star wars is all about xD!

>implying you couldnt easily have had both with competent writing
>>
>>64243545
It made perfect sense, it just wasn't realistic. I don't understand this modern hard realist notion that something has to be true to life in order to be interesting. Luke barely reacts to seeing the charred remains of the his aunt and uncle, yet we're fine with it because he gave the type of reaction that one would expect in an adventure story.
>>
File: 1418074946911.jpg (135 KB, 1018x782) Image search: [Google]
1418074946911.jpg
135 KB, 1018x782
>>64243202
I can't shake the feeling that Chewie won't survive this trilogy
>>64243286
>Finn being an expert at anything
He's the Star Wars equivalent of both Shaggy and Scoobie. His skill will be something along the lines of being in the right place at the right time and everything will just magically work itself out.
>Strength
>Perception
>Endurance
>Charisma
>Intelligence
>Agility
>Luck
>>
>>64242714
>The question is where do they go next with his character? Is he force sensitive? He could end up being one of the best characters in the SW Canon if they play their cards right.
You mean you don't know?

At the intro of TFA when he is having PTSD the force in him awakens. You can see Kylo Ren noticing the force coming from him too, and later on remembering it as Finn and Poe escape from the First Order.

Finn's character is ment to play constrast to Rey's. Wheres Finn is clumsy oaf that went from Dark side to Good, Rey is a powerful and independent girl that will fall from grace to the Dark side.

The major story of 2015 trilogy is that of Skywalker's linage and their temptation to the Dark side. The first movie in the series sets the stage for the main characters. Finn and Rey become best friends and Kyle Ren exposes the new audience on Darth Vader. Finn's and Rey's relationship is rushed, as this is the only episode they get to be together, until the ending of the trilogy.

During Episode VIII, Rey's daddy issues and Luke's fears about her heritage, succumb her to the Dark side. It is a very usual flaw for Mary Sue characters. Finn on the otherhand will reveal to be this trilogy's Yoda. The comical character who secretly owns immense powers. To save Rey, Finn will train as a Jedi.

The finale, will be of Finn's rescue mission to save Rey, not only from the Dark side, but from herself, and that of Skywalker's bloodline. For Finn is the cure to stop Rey's family's dark history from repeating itself generations after generations.

Literally, the independent girl takes the big black cock to make up for her family's history.
>>
>>64243151
They were whooping and cheering when Finn shot the turret despite never being am inexperienced pilot.
>>
>>64242852
it was because he didn't know how to fly and finn did you dumb bass
>>
>>64243992
uh I mean Finn rescued Poe because Finn didn't know how to fly and Poe did

I guess I'm the bass now
>>
>>64242852
He got him off the ship because he needed a pilot
>>
>>64243984
The ape whoop'd because he shot the enemy. Finn left them because he is not the enemy. There is nothing more to it. Its a childrens movie and the villain is always nothing more than enemy.
>>
His dialogue was so campy. It was one bad joke after another. Rey's character was complete shit though, so in comparison I suppose Fin is better
>>
>>64243932
This is so stupid it has to be true.
>>64244359
>Finn wins by default
That isn't saying much.
>>
>>64244359
>I hate fun
The best part of TFA is, unlike the prequels, it didn't take itself seriously at all. Finn is everything the prequels lacked distilled into one character.
>>
>>64242714
Nigger injected into the film only to serve the current social landscape and propel the political agenda of the JEWS
>>
>>64244359
i thought he was pretty funny actually
>>
>>64243434
this, the banter between Finn and Han was the funniest part of the movie
>>
Star Wars nerds are so forlorn that they'll accept anything Star Wars-related that has a modicum of decency.
Movie was the definition of mediocrity with blatant pandering to satiate its stupid fanbase.

I would say you know better, /tv/, but I know you don't.
>>
>>64242714
Finn boy is funny & hot has-it-all space guy and in novelization he's Force sensitive. so basically bound 2 turn to become even more cool, BUT
i knew a guy like him irl. handsome and friendless person who wanted to impress his new peers and befriend them and he was trying so hard. he eventually did make friends after turning on those who accepted him first for who he is, kinda just like finn. next thing he'll do is either betray someone or be seduced by the dark side because next to rey and poe, he can only be somebody who matters on the dark side, with a lot of power
>>
>>64244935
trying too hard, 6/10
>>
>>64245070
trying too hard? i just told my story? ok
>>
>>64244925
I just saw this yesterday and was flabbergasted by the reception it got, its painfully safe and average for such an iconic franchise. There is so much to talk about but what surprised me the most was Harrison Ford sleepwalking through the whole of it, utter indifference which is not justified by his age, he basically fucked up the chemistry with every character he shared a scene with, which is all of them, so having him play such a central role in the story's development was a major drawback. Finn was okay, just really underwritten.
>>
>>64242964
He was supposed to be Wedge Antilles but the actor hates Star Warrs.
>>
>>64243286
Except Rey has space magic, is a top-notch pilot and is skilled in direct combat.
>>
oh shit just realised they will build him up to be force sensitive but weaker than rey, so when she gets tempted to the dark side finn cants turn her back (lightsabre scene) so rey goes into cahoots with ren but cos rey is mary sue shell snap ouf it super easier AND turn rey and everyone lives happily ever after i'ms o high
>>
>>64246031
>she's perfect
It'll make her fall to the Dark Side that much sweeter.
>>
>>64245808
They brought Han back just to pacify rabid Star Wars fans that need constant callbacks to the original series because they're mildly autistic, and to cement Kylo's place in the franchise as someone that's a real bad guy and not just an inefficient antagonist(which he is).

It's astonishing how transparent this movie was in everything it did - and people still loved it.

It's pathetic how people forfeit any type of logical scrutiny for the sake of recollection opioid known as nostalgia.
>>
>>64243286
>Rey has space magic
And is an expert pilot, and is an expert swordsman, and is an expert blaster shooter, and never makes a morally questionable decision, and never makes a strategically bad decision, and is unquestionably awesome in every way and everyone loves her forever
>>
>>64243286
I agree
>>
File: fin-star-wars[1].jpg (43 KB, 786x393) Image search: [Google]
fin-star-wars[1].jpg
43 KB, 786x393
>>64242714

Finally watchedthe movie today, liked his character, finally we see some emotion from a storm trooper, poor fucks were more robot then the robots themselves in the previous 6 movies.
Although I didn't like his sudden conversion to light side, I mean he was brainwashed from childhood it was too easy, they should have shown some rebels showing him kindness or something just later to die because of him or even him being forced to kill them.

Still ugly as sin though
>>
File: 1450801756433.jpg (370 KB, 1000x981) Image search: [Google]
1450801756433.jpg
370 KB, 1000x981
>>64242714
So didn't say Nubian. I award you no points.
>>
I liked him but he was a bit too normal for someone who was being brainwashed for warfare his whole life.
>>
>>64243545
I agree, but it's honestly asking too much I think.

Now if we could have gotten an original plot...
>>
>>64246580
>Although I didn't like his sudden conversion to light side,
We don't know how sudden it was, to be fair.
>>
File: 12jediblackpilot.png (170 KB, 474x267) Image search: [Google]
12jediblackpilot.png
170 KB, 474x267
>>64243932
Now if we can just work the plot of V and VI in there, that would be great...
>>
>>64246740

That's what I was saying in my post>>64246580
It would be cool, if they showed that he had another secret life during his time in the fist order in the sequels, like how Tom Cruise had that secret shack in oblivion

>>64246883
Yeah that's what I'm hoping for in the sequels as I said above
>>
>>64242714
>Clearly defined, believable character development
I really believed the part where he's part of Kylo's personal wrecking crew led by his #1 General Phasma but is too faggoty to understand that other soldiers might die and won't fire on anyone.

He never even did anything evil as a stormtrooper, so the only thing he developed out of is lying to impress the girl (which developed into telling the truth to impress the girl).
>>
>>64246580
Fear is his main motivation for most of the film don't forget. Until Rey got captured he just wanted to fuck off to the outer rim or wherever. Then he only went to the Deathstar III to save her, not out of a sense of duty to protect the galaxy.
>>
http://www.buzzfeed.com/andyneuenschwander/traitor?bffbgeeky&utm_term=.xan48NVo9#.imwrZO3K4

IT'S OVER, TRAITORPOSTING IS FINISHED, IT BELONGS TO THE NORMIES NOW
>>
>>64242887
this. he was an entertaining enough character, but looked at a little closer he doesn't make any sense. he's essentially a spartan, raised at birth to be a brutal warrior, yet he's complete coward, and at the same time he has a strong sense of right and wrong, despite the fact that he's only ever known the ways of the first order and their fascist philosophy. where did his moral compass come from? he's unique and as you said "normal" compared to other storm troopers for no real reason.
>>
>>64243097
He must be something significant, since you don't need Max von syddow to play some throw away 2 minute role.
>>
>>64247128
Forced meme
>>
>>64242714
TELL ME ABOUT THE FINN
WHY DON'T HIS TOYS SELL?
>>
>>64242714
How did he and poe fit inside that tie fighter? wtf
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.