[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What movies are essential to watch to finally stop being a pleb?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: time_paulryan_20111205_0373.jpg (75 KB, 1012x1545) Image search: [Google]
time_paulryan_20111205_0373.jpg
75 KB, 1012x1545
What movies are essential to watch to finally stop being a pleb?
>>
Ingmar Bergman's Winter Light.
>>
>>64241185
OP here. Watched. Probably top 5 for me.

Favorite Bergman flick.
>>
Movies by Bergman, Herzog, Tarkovsky, and Dreyer for starters. Then you can move to newer stuff like Sorrentino, Zvyaginstev, Tarr and Jodorowsky
>>
any bergman flicks
>>
Jumangi
>>
The Dark Knight Rises to begin.
>>
I'll let you in on a secret OP

the pleb patrician meme is just a different version of the robot normie meme.

robots/patricians are people who agree with me and live a lifestyle devoid of fun

normies/plebs are people who disagree with me and have a fun happy healthy life full of enjoyment without worrying what other people think of the media they consume.

don't buy into this meme.
>>
The real answer is Tarkovsky
>>
>>64241152
shit with subtitles pretty much

these are the people who shit on Kubrick, but if he was German they'd cream over him, so listen to >>64241360
>>
>>64241152

Nothing. All art is subjective and the patrician/plebeian divide is something special snowflakes made up to feel important.
>>
>>64241152
Capeshit
Not DC though
>>
Man with a Movie Camera, Letter from an Unknown Woman, A Man Escaped, La Dolce Vita, L'Avventura, Shoot the Piano Player, Contempt, Bed and Board, Solaris, Mirror, Stalker, Carlito's Way, Satantango, Werckmeister Harmonies

Then dig deeper
>>
Problem Child 2
>>
>>64241360
In reality, "patricians" develop their own taste. There aren't pleb or patrician movies. If you like a movie and can solidly defend why, then you're all good. There are instances where taste is objective. If you love Marvel movies but can't stand entry level stuff, much less great cinema like Tarkovsky, then that's pretty shit taste. There are quality and shit movies. But as far as good or bad, it depends on the viewer. Don't worry what others think and like what you like. Keep an open mind and keep watching new movies, and you'll continue to develop you own taste
>>
Blade Runner is the essential/obvious entry-level example.
>>
Who cares?
>>
>>64241407
>shit with subtitles pretty much

You're that kind of clown who thinks all "foreign" cinema is artsy and pretentious
>>
File: hRpwOvL.jpg (427 KB, 1000x1530) Image search: [Google]
hRpwOvL.jpg
427 KB, 1000x1530
OP here.

I'm not saying some films are more pleb or patrician, I just want to know what films /tv/ feels are must see in order for someone to develop well informed opinions of their own on film.
>>
>>64241152
>>64242003
>ywn workout with Paul Ryan

shame, he seems like a decent workout buddy in a high-school assistant coach kinda way
>>
>>64241407
>these are the people who shit on Kubrick

Well of course, he's just a fucking hack.
>>
it doesnt matter

you just make up opinions, some of which are controversial and then justify them with faux art terms

I seriously cant fathom how you havent worked this out yet
>>
>>64242003
Seconding >>64241282
>>
This list.

http://letterboxd.com/cinebro/list/they-shoot-pictures-dont-they-top-1000-films/
>>
>>64242003
>what films /tv/ feels are must see

Drive
TDKR
Problem Child 2
Star Wars

That's about it, you can survive on this board now
>>
TO BE HONEST

start slowly, with some woody allen and older scorcese, then watching those films, see which directors influenced them, and then start watching films by them (here you land bergman, fellini, fnw, etc) then you have the arsenal to be able to choose which movies you feel are worth seeing, which directors are worth exploring etc.

godspeed
>>
>>64242154
This Sokal-anon knows what's up
>>
File: 1438396058980.jpg (142 KB, 540x700) Image search: [Google]
1438396058980.jpg
142 KB, 540x700
APPRECIATE MAN OF STEEL FOR THE MASTERPIECE IT IS
>>
Taste is inherent, it cannot be gained by watching Dreyer or reading Schrader.

I know this because I am a plebtrician (one who attempts to be patrician, yet lacks the critical aptitude
>>
>>64241152
Kitanocore is exit level. His entire filmography is based around the concept of cinematic endurance.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.